hosko

Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby hosko » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:26 am

Got the following back about why I am not showing up in the KOM Challenge

// Add your reply above here
==================================================
Subject: KOM Challenge

Hi Brad,

Sorry about this - it's confusing. The real issue is that we don't have accurate elevation data from the iPhone. If you are able to record via Edge 305, 500, 705 or 800 we'll be able to have barometric elevation data and your totals will be included in the KOM competition. We're currently working on a solution to augment elevation data when elevation is calculated via GPS like yours.

Sorry about the confusion, and we are working to make the limitations of mobile data more clear on our site.

Best,
Elle

SOOOO... anyone got a lazy $300 they don't want, cause I can't afford one of those!
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

flashgaza

Postby flashgaza » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:51 pm

hosko wrote:
SOOOO... anyone got a lazy $300 they don't want, cause I can't afford one of those!
Brad, this could be an option. :P

http://www.highlytunedathletes.com.au/G ... order.html

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Just looked at my Strava page for the first time this week and found it has some new features.

hosko

Postby hosko » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:19 am

flashgaza wrote:
hosko wrote:
Brad, this could be an option. :P

http://www.highlytunedathletes.com.au/G ... order.html
Heard about them the other day...they look great for a commuter.

No Cadence on that one it would seem. Don't want a power meter but I do watch my cadence, speed and HR with the Cateye V3 that I currently have.

It only the Cateye did GPS/Height and had the ability to upload, it would the perfect unit as it is tiny.
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:04 pm

That might have been my biggest week ever. Although I did 430 something in and around Geelong during the worlds last year I think, the average was only about12-14. On my touring bike riding around the course during races mostly.

This was my hardest week in terms of effort.
First TT yesterday and a race today[my second ever] which led to my fastest hundo ever at 29av for 109km.[48km race]
Still not going to get my best month, I think thats a bit over 1200 early last year.

Its amazing what a bit of sunshine and warmer[above 10C] temps can do for morale 8)

Max

ACF Strava Club

Postby Max » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:47 am

Nice work, Baldy!

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

scotto

Postby scotto » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:38 pm

just found strava (thanks nick).
seems like a good resource for training motivation :twisted:

vander

Postby vander » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:32 pm

Just signed up to Strava and joined the group. Strava looks pretty good. It is cool how you can see your time against others.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:02 pm

The only problem with the segment times is that I ride all my segments on my own, while others that ride them are in a big bunch of 20 or more.

Leaves me no hope of getting the best time. Should make me fitter trying though. :D

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:59 pm

Mugglechops wrote:The only problem with the segment times is that I ride all my segments on my own, while others that ride them are in a big bunch of 20 or more.

Leaves me no hope of getting the best time. Should make me fitter trying though. :D
find some hills, problem (mostly) solved

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:38 pm

lethoso wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:The only problem with the segment times is that I ride all my segments on my own, while others that ride them are in a big bunch of 20 or more.

find some hills, problem (mostly) solved

Then I will be further behind. Unless its downhill.

Jensen

Postby Jensen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:52 pm

One of the segments on my commute has the best time completed at a lazy speed of 75km/h. while the segment is only 600m, it's going to take a bit of training to get close to that one

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Well I have thought of doing all the segments on my motorbike and sitting on a 45km/h avg :D

But that would be cheating :roll:

flashgaza

Postby flashgaza » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:59 pm

Muggles, segments should be used for setting your own personal best, otherwise it will do your head in. :shock: : I try to better one of my segments (solo) at least once a week. In saying that, if you want a challenge that is impossible for group riding and knowing your love for off road, try the coastal track. :twisted:

http://app.strava.com/rides/1873832

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:28 pm

flashgaza wrote:

Muggles, segments should be used for setting your own personal best, otherwise it will do your head in. :shock: : I try to better one of my segments (solo) at least once a week. In saying that, if you want a challenge that is impossible for group riding and knowing your love for off road, try the coastal track. :twisted:

http://app.strava.com/rides/1873832

Yes I am planning that. After your comments I will be leaveing the CX bike at home and taking the MTB. May do it next Saturday if I come back from Sydney for the weekend.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Dunno if this has been posted here yet, but you can give Kudo's to yourself on strava :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Sorry, that is not true. On a climb you should be able to out ride the bunch based on better pacing. Flats it is harder, but for a specific segment this would also be true.

Otherwise no-one could ever win from a solo break.

sli123

Postby sli123 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:42 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Dunno if this has been posted here yet, but you can give Kudo's to yourself on strava :)
+1

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:33 pm

ft_critical wrote:

Sorry, that is not true. On a climb you should be able to out ride the bunch based on better pacing. Flats it is harder, but for a specific segment this would also be true.

Yes, but its true for me as I am 120kgs and the guys who set the fastest times are in the 65-75kgs class. So I have no hope of beating them up hills unless I consume a lot of spanish steak :D

mianos

Postby mianos » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:48 am

ft_critical wrote:Sorry, that is not true. On a climb you should be able to out ride the bunch based on better pacing. Flats it is harder, but for a specific segment this would also be true.

You need a smiley in there. :) It's possible to out-ride a bunch on the flat but highly unlikely I'd be able to ride away from the front on any of my rides and I do tend to spend a lot of time at the pointy end. It's just, once you are 4 back it's way way easier. Those pros that do get away most often do so in a small group and work together.
Even on cat3 and 4 climbs being behind a bunch makes a lot of difference. Way less so on steeper climbs.
That's why I'd like to get the 'group ride button back' and be able to filter my results with it.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:37 am

Hey I didn't know we had a Strava Club!...but now I do!.
I don't set it running all the time but I tried it out today on a sufferfest mtb ride... http://app.strava.com/rides/2152677 ...rather tired now...only 3 or 4 people passed me...if I lose 15kgs I might be a bit quicker! (and lose 3 or 4 off my 15kgs bike as well!).
62km with 2200 meters climbing...should have been 60km with 2000meters but I lost the route 3 times,the turn offs were poorly marked and at speed me and many others missed them.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:17 pm

Hey I need some help from the computer literate people. My old computer died[its getting fixed by the bro inlaw] so I am on an older pc. Tried to install the gamin plugin and it gives me this error message...

"The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

So I tried downloading a new version but It just seems to make copys? Like its stored in the cache or something because it completes the "download" instantly. I also cant find the program to uninstall it!!Its not in the usual place[the add/remove programs in the start menu]

I have no idea, I was just going to wait until I get my good pc back but thought I might ask here.

Bec26

Postby Bec26 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Joined today, the app today decide to take it for a spin after lunch. Nice and leisurely with my daughter in tow.

Got 200m up the road and a flat, flat front tyre. Turned around, went home, patched it up (small hole near valve stem - approx 0.5cm away). Put back on, pump up, and still gushing out air in the same place.

Couldn't get a spare tube as LBS is closed and the mecca of cycling in my home town (Big W) doesn't have my size tube :x :evil: :twisted:

So have to wait until Tuesday . . . . .

sli123

Postby sli123 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Baldy wrote:Hey I need some help from the computer literate people. My old computer died[its getting fixed by the bro inlaw] so I am on an older pc. Tried to install the gamin plugin and it gives me this error message...

"The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

So I tried downloading a new version but It just seems to make copys? Like its stored in the cache or something because it completes the "download" instantly. I also cant find the program to uninstall it!!Its not in the usual place[the add/remove programs in the start menu]

I have no idea, I was just going to wait until I get my good pc back but thought I might ask here.
I'll have a go....
Possibly the reason you can't find it in your "add/remove programs" may be because it didn't install properly. You could try going into your download folder (or wherever you downloaded it to) and deleting it from there. Restart the computer and then try downloading it again.
I might be way off the mark but it's something to try......

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks mate but I tried that, well except for the restart bit. When that error said reinstall I tried to remove any trace of it.

This pc is such an old POS. I can wait a couple of weeks, I will just upload the rides in a bunch.