ACF Strava Club

Rhubarb

Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:27 pm

Its been a weird week on Strava. I have received 3 of the dreaded "oh no, xxxxx just stole your KOM ..." emails. 1 was obviously driven in a car so I regained my KOM by flagging the ride. The other 2 are very weird in that they sent me the email but the times recorded by the newcomer are less than my KOM time and when I actually go to the segment, it still lists me as the KOM, so I have no idea whats going on there.

The upside is that somebody else created a segment which I am now the KOM holder on, but I had no idea as I wasn't even aware it was a segment and I've never ridden it aggressively, only my normal commuting speed. Its impressive on paper too given its a 1st of 2040 !!! But before you say "liar", its a long slight downhill and I ride a velomobile so even rolling down there is fast. So in reality, its a little lame but a bonus none the less :-)

Link of evidence: http://app.strava.com/segments/1570359" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:31 pm

And while I'm on the subject of strava weirdness, can anyone explain why my all time biggest climb is reported as only 32m despite me having registered climbs on Mt Coot-tha etc. No matter where I ride I cannot get that figure to go up.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:40 pm

I noticed the other day that some veloviewer sigs you can click on and others you can't. Why is that :?:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:23 pm

warthog1 wrote:I noticed the other day that some veloviewer sigs you can click on and others you can't. Why is that :?:
Some people wrap them with [ url ] and [ /url ] tags so it is both an image and a clickable URL. Its described on the veloviewer signature page, take a closer look at it :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:21 pm

InTheWoods wrote: Some people wrap them with [ url ] and [ /url ] tags so it is both an image and a clickable URL. Its described on the veloviewer signature page, take a closer look at it :)
I did read it but it was mainly jargon to me. The url bit, as you pointed it out in laymans terms, helped the penny drop :oops:. Thanks :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:34 am

For those who don't follow STRAVA on Facebook, this is an article they linked me/us to:

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bi ... tml?page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought it captured what was happening with cycling stravaphiles quite well.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:42 am

Ok, dumb question time. :oops:

How do I delete some rides that I don't want in my history because they weren't rides. I just wanted to record for distance and average speed over a long distance. :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:55 am

Select the ride and click on the "Actions" pull down menu. There is a Delete option.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:39 am

Thanks Dave. :D

Woohoo that worked, happy now and no guilt with the segment wins. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:20 pm

You don't have to delete the whole ride. You can edit/crop the ride and just remove the er "motorised vehicle" enhancement :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 pm

Yeah I do, I tracked my drive from up north down to Harwood. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:32 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Yeah I do, I tracked my drive from up north down to Harwood. :wink:

Foo
Oops :oops:

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:27 am

My garmin (edge 800) was mucking up on todays ride, seemed to autopause whenever I went over 35kph for some reason. When I got home it was under reading distance by about 7km and the garmin connect upload agreed with the device. However when I've uploaded the ride to Strava the distance is correct (more or less) for the ride at just over 100km.

I guessing that's because strava ignores the pauses? Any ideas?

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:22 pm

grantw wrote:I guessing that's because strava ignores the pauses? Any ideas?
Yup. It has its own method of calculating pauses and ignores pauses in segment times anyway.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:32 pm

Not for me, segment time = total time including pauses.

TimW

Postby TimW » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Dimma wrote:Not for me, segment time = total time including pauses.
+1

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:14 pm

I wasn't very clear, but Ozkaban got it. I meant that strava takes the pauses into account on the ride - (ie it ignores them as pauses and sees them as ride time). So we're all right :lol:

Now I've just got to work out why it's autopausing unexpectedly.

sblack

Postby sblack » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:22 pm

I think that's what Ozkaban meant by ignoring the pauses ie your time doesn't pause while you do.

In terms of how Strava handles the data from the Edge it's definitely different to Garmin Connect. I find that Garmin Connect always matches what the Edge records for things like distance, average and max speed, metres climbed etc whereas Strava is slightly different. I assume strava takes the gpx data for each (or every so many) point/s recorded and works out it's own data from that. So while the Garmin was paused the Edge and Connect make no changes to overall ride data whereas Strava assumes a straight line at constant speed from the last point recorded before the pause to the first one after the resume. It does exclude certain points from the data where it appears something is amiss which Connect doesn't appear to. The best example is where atmospheric pressure changes while you're at a stop in the ride. Connect will attribute you for the climb or descent associated with the pressure change as soon as you start riding again whereas Strava ignores it.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:47 pm

Here is two graphs of the same ride last weekend, one from Bryton, the other from Strava, along the freeway bike path. It includes several tunnels underneath roads, which I assume would interrupt the GPS signal. I have placed my cursor at the Thomas Rd underpass in both graphs.

This is what the Bryton graph shows:

And this is what the Strava graph shows:
Notice that each time I go under a road, the speed drops very low, at Thomas Rd it says I'm only doing 6.3km/h, when I was actually doing around 25km/h.

I think Strava interprets the data at face value, it doesn't try to smooth out any anomalies. So each time a signal is lost, it thinks I'm going nowhere. I don't know how it works out an arbitrary speed of e.g. 6.3km/h, it must think I've gone through a wormhole or something. But with the Bryton (and I think Garmin Connect is similar) it interpolates the readings from one point where the signal was good, to the next point where the signal was good, and averages it out over that missing distance.

I do remember when riding through the underpasses that the speed on the GPS determined speed looked correct, the signal said it was strong. So I don't know exactly what is going on.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:10 pm

Here is a run I did which included going through the Graham Farmer Freeway tunnel, which you can clearly see on both graphs, starting at the 5km mark.

Bryton:

Strava:

Strava does interpolate between readings at either end of the tunnel. But the speeds are somewhat different. At one slow point Bryton said I was doing 5:52min/km, while Strava said I was doing 8:49min/km at the same point (8.9km mark).

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:50 pm

Interesting:

For the sake of comparisons here's my profile from both strava and garmin connect.

stravaprofile by _granty, on Flickr

garminprofile by _granty, on Flickr

They are quite different and Strava will translate the pauses as pauses and include them in the profile as periods of no speed. The prominent flatlines are stop to help mate fix puncture, rests at top of hills. Strava then translates these as rests, which is something Garmin doesn't do it seems.

And at one point garmin has me descending at 180kph. :mrgreen:

edit: higher res

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:52 pm

I wish we had these things when I was a serious cyclist! :(

Foo
Goal 6000km

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:22 pm

If I create a new private segment will it only compare rides going forward, or will it compare my rides prior to creating the segment?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Warnesy wrote:If I create a new private segment will it only compare rides going forward, or will it compare my rides prior to creating the segment?
All your rides past, present and future.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:26 pm

what does ticking the "commute" box do?