Festive 500 is back again :-)

deaocy

Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby deaocy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:26 pm

+1

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:30 pm

I'm not even going to bother signing up. There is no way in hell I would get a leave pass to actually crank out 500km over the holiday period. :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:30 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I'm not even going to bother signing up. There is no way in hell I would get a leave pass to actually crank out 500km over the holiday period. :lol:
+1

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:42 pm

I'm gonna give it a crack this year.

sent from a MacGalaxy far, far away. ..
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Oh I'll be giving it a crack. A bloody good crack! Need to chase down Jasons total :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:02 pm

vosadrian wrote:I have one KOM that is on the road near a train line near a MTB track. Every few days someone takes the train out to the MTB track and uses Strava to log their ride and hops back on the train without turning it off. I get the usual KOM message and I always know what it is. I always leave it a few days as most people fix it themselves, but after a few days if it is not gone I flag it. I am all for the competition of someone taking a KOM from me and then trying to get it back, but I have no issue with flagging someone who is obviously not riding a bike.

Lately I seem to be losing lots of segments on the M7 cycle path to people riding on the M7 motorway which is obviously much quicker. I wish there was a way to flag a particular segment of a ride as incorrectly matched. Currently you can only flag the whole ride which is unfair to the rider, so I have to give up on those segments.... or get a TT bike and hit the motorway!
Yeah, I have a few segments like that where I'd like to flag just the segment with a dodgy time, rather than the whole ride. C'mon strava.

Wouldn't mind the ability to upload photos from the ride, post ride without Instagram.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:12 am

The "I forgot to turn it off" thing is getting a bit annoying. Feels like Strava should have a "are you sure this is really you?!" button, that allows users to crop their ride if they forget to turn it off. I've actually had 2 epic KOMs in the past week (I'm not going to be humble about them, climbing segments of doom, with massive competition on the ladder) that were registered as 2nd place because a boofhead didn't turn their phone off and didn't fix the ride time. Sorry, I'm not accepting that my anaerobic threshold/max HR effort was outpaced by 20kmh up a 2 minute climb when the rest of your ride was a gentle pootle around some singletrack. :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:15 am

One guy recently averaged 321km/h on a segment! :lol:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:22 am

g-boaf wrote:One guy recently averaged 321km/h on a segment! :lol:
Another over here in Perth managed a 200m segment in 1 second- that is hauling ass.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:38 am

Wow. Just checked the flagged segments on VV... epic sadness :( I don't know why some of these people are on Strava... so many flagged segments... if you don't like competing, go away. These people would be lining up for a race and then proceeding ride around on their cruiser, whining how fast the opposition is going around the corners :roll:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:01 pm

Got a KOM on a slight downhill segment this morning, current KOM is about 52kmh average and I was sitting around 59 absolutely smashing it. But silly me I accidentally hit "clear memory" on the Bryton before starting it for the afternoon commute :cry: . Devastated, I mean sure I can have another crack in a day or two but dammit that was hard yakka!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:43 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Got a KOM on a slight downhill segment this morning, current KOM is about 52kmh average and I was sitting around 59 absolutely smashing it. But silly me I accidentally hit "clear memory" on the Bryton before starting it for the afternoon commute :cry: . Devastated, I mean sure I can have another crack in a day or two but dammit that was hard yakka!
I would be too. KOMs in my area are hard to come by. I grabbed one myself today at 52km/h average speed - flat and level. So it took my best imitation of a sprint. :lol:

Plenty of racers and a world-champion in this area. When you get even remotely close to his time, you can be quite content with that. :D
Last edited by g-boaf on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:13 pm

Problem is the real racers do that speed both before and after the segment, not just during it, but I try not to think about that too much :lol: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:26 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Problem is the real racers do that speed both before and after the segment, not just during it, but I try not to think about that too much :lol: .
Oh I know that - believe me. :) The man is a monster. Track cyclists... The segments are just insane to look at. :lol:

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:22 am

Xplora wrote:Wow. Just checked the flagged segments on VV... epic sadness :( I don't know why some of these people are on Strava... so many flagged segments... if you don't like competing, go away. These people would be lining up for a race and then proceeding ride around on their cruiser, whining how fast the opposition is going around the corners :roll:
Yah... that annoys me. I see a need to get rid of dangerous segments... like downhill through lights and blind corners etc. but some segments I see flagged are fantastic roads that are flat with wide verge marked for cyclists. I don't get it. Why join Strava which is competitive by nature and then flag good segments? Only thing I can think of is sour grapes.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:41 am

There is just so much to whinge about, and I'm motivated to do so... but my legs are too tired. Also quite happy to see some trophies and even a couple crowns after a couple of new areas for me recently... I'm just about at the point where I'm trying to work out why we're using Strava if we are racing.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:38 am

I have given up on KOM hunting (though I did go and get one that was rightfully mine back this morning!! :-) ). But I still find Strava useful as a tool to track my riding (kms per week, average speeds etc.). I am not going for KOMs as much as PRs these days. KOMs requires me to ride to different areas for new segments, but I am trying to improve my times on known segments that I frequent including a bunch of private segments I have set up just for that purpose. But I am not really into training for the sake of training. I just enjoy riding and enjoy beating PRs, so I keep doing that, and it seems to help with my racing.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Xplora wrote:There is just so much to whinge about, and I'm motivated to do so... but my legs are too tired. Also quite happy to see some trophies and even a couple crowns after a couple of new areas for me recently... I'm just about at the point where I'm trying to work out why we're using Strava if we are racing.
Oh come on now, you used to be one of the biggest proponents of Strava and certainly one of the most dedicated KOM hunters out there. You were into it like mad! You'd give it everything and then some. And unless it was all a big act, you seemed to have fun doing so. :)

I really don't think you've got anything to complain about.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:28 pm

I partially retract my comment above about giving up on KOM hunting. It was windy at lunch and I could not help myself!! :oops:

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:32 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Oh I'll be giving it a crack. A bloody good crack! Need to chase down Jasons total :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Did it last year, not going to bother signing up this year- there is no way I'm doing 300 miles in the freezing rain. See you in 2014, Festive 500...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:10 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Xplora wrote:There is just so much to whinge about, and I'm motivated to do so... but my legs are too tired. Also quite happy to see some trophies and even a couple crowns after a couple of new areas for me recently... I'm just about at the point where I'm trying to work out why we're using Strava if we are racing.
Oh come on now, you used to be one of the biggest proponents of Strava and certainly one of the most dedicated KOM hunters out there. You were into it like mad! You'd give it everything and then some. And unless it was all a big act, you seemed to have fun doing so. :)

I really don't think you've got anything to complain about.
Oh it's true... I'm a strava whore, I can't help it. There is something a bit different to the riding I'm doing lately (when it happens), I'm much more focused on the wattage than the nebulous time which may or may not be complete balderdash depending if my Bryton likes me or not ;)

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Will prob need closer to 1000km in the last wk of Dec to reach distance goal, so will easily have the Festive covered.
One of my most treasured KOM's is a segment no one else has done lol

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Is it 500 repeats of Mt Gravatt? :P
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:09 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Is it 500 repeats of Mt Gravatt? :P
A few less but yes