ACF Strava Club

sblack

Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby sblack » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:29 pm

nickdos wrote:
bradman wrote:Does anyone know a current promotional code for an upgrade to full membership for strava? I had premium membership for 3 months but that has now expired...Thanks in advance...
Same here... I'm not sure if its coincidence or a stuff-up on Strava but I got an email saying the the terms & conditions had changed and at exactly the same time my 3 months premium trial was no longer active. Funny thing is, last time my 1 month trial came to an end I got numerous emails from Strava warning me it would end and asking me to sign up. Didn't happen this time. :? I smell a bug...
Just coincidence, as far as I know everyone got the email and it's possibly related to the lawsuit against them.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:01 pm

Probably a stupid question but will the Strava Android app track without a phone network? I can keep the phone charged okay using my PedalPower+ Super-i-Cable, it is just the issue of no network.

My Garmin Edge 800 has fallen out of love with me and I am thinking I might use my phone/Strava on my forthcoming Dreaming Tour if Garmin Australia will not place nice with me and instead will insist on $249 to "fix" my Edge 800 and/or not get it back to me in time.

Thanks
Andrew
Andrew

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Question for the brains trust...

Tried uploading a ride today and I got some kind of error when it was processing[with the red text] so I went to my activities page and it was not there. Tried uploading it again and I get the duplicate activity message[again in red]

Anyone had this happen?

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Aushiker wrote:Probably a stupid question but will the Strava Android app track without a phone network? I can keep the phone charged okay using my PedalPower+ Super-i-Cable, it is just the issue of no network.
It should record the ride OK while riding through areas outside of network coverage but you may run into problems when the end of your day's riding is also outside network coverage (I'm assuming you're planning to record each day as a separate Strava activity). The Android app attempts to upload the ride as soon as you stop the recording, complains if it can't and then keep retrying until it has a network connection to do it. The question is whether you can start a new recording before it has uploaded the previous one. The easiest way to find out would be just put your phone into 'airplane mode' and see what happens.

If the Strava app won't play ball then there are plenty of other apps that will record GPS logs in a suitable format that you can manually upload to Strava later through the website. I know MyTracks will happily record multiple tracks with no network coverage. There are some other GPS logging apps that include support for direct uploads to Strava (e.g. IpBike) but I don't know how well they cope with a lack of connectivity.
2010 Bacchetta Carbon Aero 2.0 (700c) custom
2006 Bacchetta Giro 26 (700c) customised
Strava profile

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:52 pm

I found a fix for my problem. I uploaded the ride to Garmin connect and then grabbed the gpx file from there.

For some reason my HR data is not there but not sure if that has anything to do with the workaround?[its there on GC] Not a big deal anyway, I know what the max HR on the efforts were.

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Baldy wrote: For some reason my HR data is not there but not sure if that has anything to do with the workaround?[its there on GC] Not a big deal anyway, I know what the max HR on the efforts were.
Export it from GC as a TCX file instead.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:55 pm

ah cool, thanks Dave.

singlespeedscott

ACF Strava Club

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:33 am

Baldy wrote:Question for the brains trust...

Tried uploading a ride today and I got some kind of error when it was processing[with the red text] so I went to my activities page and it was not there. Tried uploading it again and I get the duplicate activity message[again in red]

Anyone had this happen?
I had the same problem after a mtb ride yesterday. I thought it was because I pressed the save ride when I drove off in the car and the phone lost connection. I tried again when I got home. Still no luck. Finally uploaded the third time.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:19 pm

Hotdog wrote: It should record the ride OK while riding through areas outside of network coverage but you may run into problems when the end of your day's riding is also outside network coverage (I'm assuming you're planning to record each day as a separate Strava activity). The Android app attempts to upload the ride as soon as you stop the recording, complains if it can't and then keep retrying until it has a network connection to do it. The question is whether you can start a new recording before it has uploaded the previous one. The easiest way to find out would be just put your phone into 'airplane mode' and see what happens.
I had a go with it in flight mode and it worked. There is no "save" feature as such but clicking finish ride seems to do the same thing so should be able to "save" each day's ride. It does as you suggest try to upload so flight mode should solve that issue until I am in a town with network access.
I know MyTracks will happily record multiple tracks with no network coverage.
Thanks. This is another option. It allows emailing of the track. No direct uploading but.
There are some other GPS logging apps that include support for direct uploads to Strava (e.g. IpBike) but I don't know how well they cope with a lack of connectivity.
This works but it is $10 and the user interface is well old school :)

I think the Strava app will do the trick.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Andrew
Andrew

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:24 pm

Just noticed Strava are running a "featured segment of the day" on each stage of the tour. Wouldn't you just love to see the peloton have a crack at your local KOM. And I'm sure Cadel will be thinking about it .... :)

hosko

Postby hosko » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:46 pm

Will be great, however it seems Strava is suffering a major outage at the moment so can't see anything!
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

Marshious

Postby Marshious » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:51 am

Sorry guys, I forgot to renew the domain name for the strava sig site. It's done now but it may take a bit for it for it to start working again :oops:

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:53 pm

Marshious wrote:Sorry guys, I forgot to renew the domain name for the strava sig site. It's done now but it may take a bit for it for it to start working again :oops:
No worries Darren. Thanks for letting us know.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:48 pm

So once again I've been lured into another Strava challenge, anyone else have a problem saying no.

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:52 pm

Dimma wrote:So once again I've been lured into another Strava challenge, anyone else have a problem saying no.
Yes ... me! :roll:

toolonglegs

ACF Strava Club

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Riding along yesterday I notice one of my group is in head to toe strava kit ... And he is from San Fran ... Wasn't too hard to put one and one together :-) .

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:06 pm

A question from a strava novice

when it suggests riders I should follow it mentions that people have ridden with me twice, three time etc. Does anyone know what that means as I ride solo
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

sblack

Postby sblack » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:12 am

yarravalleyplodder wrote:A question from a strava novice

when it suggests riders I should follow it mentions that people have ridden with me twice, three time etc. Does anyone know what that means as I ride solo
I haven't seen it with suggestions for who to follow, they tend to say how many people I'm following also follow the suggested person, but I have seen it on rides where it says there was someone else on a ride even though I hadn't ridden with them. It's only happened when I've ridden busy sections like the M7C and it turns out that strava has picked up someone else who just happened to be riding at the same time and was one of the people I passed or had passed me along the way. It doesn't seam to matter if they start and finish in completely different places to you, as long as some of the ride matches up.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Surely this can't be serious.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Surely this can't be serious.

The quote, 'only in America' comes to mind :shock:
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:38 pm

marinmomma wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:Surely this can't be serious.

The quote, 'only in America' comes to mind :shock:
Pretty sure it's a fake:
Submitted by Kris Thompson on Fri, 07/20/2012 - 12:41.

This story is made up. Happy Friday.... Notice the category we assigned this too.. it's Friday Fun
if you can't get the KOMs under your own steam, then they aren't your KOMs.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:40 pm

It is fake... so many obvious reasons.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:43 pm

Yeah it's funny as because it was on the cycling forum at work and people think it's for real :D

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:29 pm

LOL.. that is funny.

Go Sarah, love the stalker on the moped.

- David.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:14 pm

When did strava suddenly get so popular over here!... last two months have seen the numbers on the main climbs go from 4 or 5 to there 30's or 40's. Can only mean word is catching on in France.
Good to see some of the times too :shock: ... some of the young top level amateurs are doing 600 or 700 kms a week!.