ACF Strava Club

Ken Ho

Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby Ken Ho » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:41 pm

hosko wrote:Well did Beachmont this morning.

http://app.strava.com/rides/1297543

First proper hill I have done before and while it was hard dragging myself up the hill, the view was sensational!

Shame about the Sun being where it was but I took this just as we started our way back down.

Using an app from the iPhone I downloaded a few days ago, I cropped this one but this is what I got. Lines don't match up brilliantly however it composes the picture by taking multiple stills and then aligning them automatically.

Where did you start and finish ?
I'll be doing part of that next week. I'm going over Numinbah to Nerang, then back down the M1, with a detour around the roadworks, probably on Friday according to the weather forecast.
You have officially become your parents.

sblack

Postby sblack » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:21 pm

flashgaza wrote: As for the carpark, I really don't like to hurt myself that much (soft). :mrgreen:
I wouldn't call anyone climbing saddleback soft, and it appears like it's not that uncommon to skip the final climb to the carpark. Of the 11 people who've ridden up the Fountaindale Rd side only 3 have continued up to the carpark. I should also mention that I use a triple crankset so that certainly helps with the steep stuff.
Mugglechops wrote:
lethoso wrote:how many "days" of riding (100~150km or so) are in the area? half a mind to come down for a bit if it'd be worth the bother of boxing up my bike. What'd be the best place to base myself out of?

The best place to base yourself would probably be Kiama. You can ride from there to Wollongong and beyond, plus you can also do Saddleback Mtn, Jamberoo Pass and Macquarie Pass.

You then can head towards Berry and go into Kangaroo Valley and do the climbs there.
Mugglechops puts in a good case for Kiama, plenty within reach for a 100-150km ride. I'm in Albion Park which is about 20km from the Kiama town centre heading through Jamberoo. So as an idea, from my place it's about 21km to the top of Saddleback or Macquarie Pass and 23 to the top of Jamberoo Pass. Heading up the coast the top of Bald Hill is about 60km. Kangaroo Valley is about 50km away (via Macquarie Pass and Barrengarry Mountain) and Berry is about 45 km away (via Kiama) and from there you're heading into norbs and Mugglechops territory. I would think much of the riding done by flashgazza, norbs, Mugglechops and myself would fall within reach of 100-150 km rides from Kiama.

hosko

Postby hosko » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:12 am

Ken Ho wrote: I'll be doing part of that next week. I'm going over Numinbah to Nerang, then back down the M1, with a detour around the roadworks, probably on Friday according to the weather forecast.
Start point was BikeForce Oxenford (AT) 5:40am

Weekly Saturday shop ride. Excellent bunch of people to go for a shop ride with. Very encouraging for people who are new to shop rides and have different ride group for different levels of experience.
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

flashgaza

Postby flashgaza » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:49 pm

Shane, surely we past each other today? :D

http://app.strava.com/rides/1311175

Cheers
Gazza

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Something I just found, and you all probably know about, is a feature to keep track of bike wear and tear.

http://app.strava.com/athletes/5004/bikes

Click on the bike and you can see how much mileage you are getting from all your components.

I will add some stuff to mine today.

whitey

Postby whitey » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:13 pm

Do you reckon the categorisation of climbs is fair on Strava. I did the Akuna Bay Box to Box Time trial segment this morning, its Cat 3. Now looking for some Cat 2 and Cat 1 around Sydney to compare.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:38 pm

Some big totals this week, good job guys

Quite week for me, might have something to do with buying this :D

Back into this week though, I needed a slack week.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Nice bike Chops but that's cheating! :P

I like this Strava thing, it's really cool to see where people ride and great to see so many people out there having fun.

sblack

Postby sblack » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:17 pm

flashgaza wrote:Shane, surely we past each other today? :D

Cheers
Gazza
We must have come pretty close, I'd say there's a good chance we where both on Jamberoo Rd at the same time, just opposite sides of the Jamberoo Mountain Rd intersection. Did a guy on an all black bike pass you going the other way? He passed me not far from the intersection. How was it coming down Jamberoo Pass? The wet surface didn't look too confidence inspiring for descending when I was on the way up. I have to admit though, the wet road helps add to the whole rainforest atmosphere.

Max

Postby Max » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:38 am

Has anyone noticed the "segments" feature can be a touch... touchy? For example, there's a part of my regular rides that is always the same. Always. I went for a ride yesterday, and it didn't recognise the segment at all. I'm peeved because I'm sure it was a PB, but nothing. It doesn't even think I rode it at all! Has anyone else experienced this?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

hosko

Postby hosko » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:21 am

flashgaza wrote:Shane, surely we past each other today? :D

Cheers
Gazza
Jebus your legs must be hurting after those climbs!!! That's one serious hill and effort.

flashgaza

Postby flashgaza » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:12 pm

sblack wrote: We must have come pretty close, I'd say there's a good chance we where both on Jamberoo Rd at the same time, just opposite sides of the Jamberoo Mountain Rd intersection. Did a guy on an all black bike pass you going the other way? He passed me not far from the intersection. How was it coming down Jamberoo Pass? The wet surface didn't look too confidence inspiring for descending when I was on the way up. I have to admit though, the wet road helps add to the whole rainforest atmosphere.
We must have just missed,and yes Jamberoo Pass was a handfull. A lot cleaner than I thought,but still greasy. :evil:
hosko wrote:Jebus your legs must be hurting after those climbs!!! That's one serious hill and effort.
Legs are fine,only the wrist are sore from braking whilst descending. :roll:

whitey

Postby whitey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:58 am

Rode a proposed charity ride route on Tuesday, love long rides when everyone else is at work. http://app.strava.com/rides/1339693

Even better got a KOM ;-) http://app.strava.com/rides/1339693#20988921 OK, is 1/1

Gee there is some nice riding in the Highlands, will be down there for a week or so over xmas this year so looking forward to Macquarie pass and riding up from Kangaroo Valley

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:18 pm

I had the same problem today that I had a few weeks ago. I accidently stopped the garmin with my back pack and missed 13kms of my ride. Those kms don't count on the leader board so I am 13kms down on where I should be.

Whitey, that looks like a good ride without too many massive hills.

hosko

ACF Strava Club

Postby hosko » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:44 pm

Looked at the iPhone updates available this morning and noticed an update for strava. Only said bug fixes for release notes.

Any ideas on what they fixed?

mcarrigg

Postby mcarrigg » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:53 pm

hosko wrote:Looked at the iPhone updates available this morning and noticed an update for strava. Only said bug fixes for release notes.

Any ideas on what they fixed?
Bugs :roll:

Sorry couldnt help myself...

hosko

Postby hosko » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:00 pm

Pause still didn't work. Don't use it if you have an iPhone.

Well I crashed on the decent today. First time in the 6 months I have been riding. Tetnus injection already happened. Ripped a nice gash in the forearm and right leg grazed to buggery.

Was wet however was my longest climb to date. Really enjoyed the ride.

Strava didn't record the return correctly nor the distance which was over 50km in total.

105 Rear Derailleur which I installed this week got a few scratches. Bar tape was toast. Bib shorts...no marks and yet my legs underneath was grazed up quite bad.

Shop now has the bike and are doing a service on it to make sure the derailleur hanger isn't bent, but of a tune, new bar tape and my rear wheel up seems wobbly so they are looking into it.

Other than that, have a massive smile on my face!!!

http://app.strava.com/rides/1384281

mcarrigg

Postby mcarrigg » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:58 pm

hosko wrote:Pause still didn't work. Don't use it if you have an iPhone.

Well I crashed on the decent today. First time in the 6 months I have been riding. Tetnus injection already happened. Ripped a nice gash in the forearm and right leg grazed to buggery.

Was wet however was my longest climb to date. Really enjoyed the ride.

Strava didn't record the return correctly nor the distance which was over 50km in total.

105 Rear Derailleur which I installed this week got a few scratches. Bar tape was toast. Bib shorts...no marks and yet my legs underneath was grazed up quite bad.

Shop now has the bike and are doing a service on it to make sure the derailleur hanger isn't bent, but of a tune, new bar tape and my rear wheel up seems wobbly so they are looking into it.

Other than that, have a massive smile on my face!!!

http://app.strava.com/rides/1384281
Sad to hear mate, hope everything is fixable and more importantly you are ok...

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Max wrote:Has anyone noticed the "segments" feature can be a touch... touchy? For example, there's a part of my regular rides that is always the same. Always. I went for a ride yesterday, and it didn't recognise the segment at all. I'm peeved because I'm sure it was a PB, but nothing. It doesn't even think I rode it at all! Has anyone else experienced this?

Max
I have noticed that it can get a bit touchy sometimes. One of my segments sometimes doesn't work properly. The other time was my own fault :oops:

whitey

Postby whitey » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:10 pm

Max wrote:Has anyone noticed the "segments" feature can be a touch... touchy? For example, there's a part of my regular rides that is always the same. Always. I went for a ride yesterday, and it didn't recognise the segment at all. I'm peeved because I'm sure it was a PB, but nothing. It doesn't even think I rode it at all! Has anyone else experienced this?

Max
yeah noticed they are touchy but for opposite reason. Did what I thought was an easy ride the other day and smashed a PB on Bellevue road which has me in the top 10 - which is highly unlikely

hosko

Postby hosko » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:24 pm

mcarrigg wrote: Sad to hear mate, hope everything is fixable and more importantly you are ok...
Don't be sad. Was more p!ssed that the Strava app didn't capture my ride correctly!! I will be sore for a few days but hey, 1 day of work this week!'

Work Monday, Tuesday I have off (Son's B'day) Wed/Thurs/Fri - Microsoft TechEd on the Gold Coast!! Should be good.

Climbed for just over an hour today up to the Alpaca Farm so didn't go all the way to O'Reillys. Slightly less steep than Beachmont however double the time in the climb and over double the distance. How the heck people do these climbs at 20km/h+ ???

Kneedown

Postby Kneedown » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:42 pm

Not sure if it's just me, but the Strava iPhone app has completely given up the ghost and will not sync at the end of a ride. Basically all ride data is lost on every ride! :evil:

Anyone else have this issue? After a tempting start it has now lost the plot which is really annoying. Obviously their Beta testing wasnt all that rigorous!

Using the latest version of the app & iOS.
Bianchi Sempre Pro Chorus 11 | dry bike
Giant Defy Composite 2 SRAM Apex | wet bike

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Thats no good, I get upset when my GPS misses a few kms.

The leader is getting hard to maintain top 5, you have to ride over 200kms to get in there.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:03 pm

Kneedown wrote:Not sure if it's just me, but the Strava iPhone app has completely given up the ghost and will not sync at the end of a ride. Basically all ride data is lost on every ride! :evil:
Uninstall and re-install? Stupid, but it's fixed other apps for me before.

I don't use my phone for gps tracking anymore - I found the gps is way too unreliable, bought a garmin 500 and it's been great.

DanH

Postby DanH » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:38 pm

I've just picked up a Garmin Edge 500 and joined the club. First impressions of the site is fantastic! I think with the competitive nature of the leaderboards it definitely takes the dulness out of riding solo. It's also great to see where everyone else is riding too! :)