Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby norbs » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:02 pm

Mugglechops wrote:
mcarrigg wrote:
norbs wrote:
EDIT: Video as promised.
Ooops...missed the stop sign at the end there... :roll:

I was thinking what stop sign did he miss, then had to watch it to see :oops:

Is the leaderboard broken for anyone else?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:26 pm

norbs wrote:Is the leaderboard broken for anyone else?
Broken for me a few minutes ago.

Andrew

Jensen

Postby Jensen » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:01 am

Aushiker wrote:
norbs wrote:Is the leaderboard broken for anyone else?
Broken for me a few minutes ago.

Andrew
Just tried it now and was up and running. Earlier when the link from the "compete" page was broken, I could still follow the link that Shane posted in the comments

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Something for you to beat on your next ride to work Norbs.

http://app.strava.com/rides/1255461

Some new bloke rode Jindy Andy Lane today and smashed your times. Avg was like 37km/h :shock:

I am prety sure he was a group of about 5 or 6 that I passed going the other way as his start time was similar to mine.

norbs

Postby norbs » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Something for you to beat on your next ride to work Norbs.

Some new bloke rode Jindy Andy Lane today and smashed your times. Avg was like 37km/h :shock:

I am prety sure he was a group of about 5 or 6 that I passed going the other way as his start time was similar to mine.
Excellent work mate. I might have a stab tomorrow.

How did you manage to beat them both? Do 2 runs?

The Jindy Andy time I expected to be beaten soon enough. Strava really should take into account group vs individual rides.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:46 pm

norbs wrote:

Excellent work mate. I might have a stab tomorrow.

How did you manage to beat them both? Do 2 runs?

The Jindy Andy time I expected to be beaten soon enough. Strava really should take into account group vs individual rides.

They are both the same mine starts earlier and finishes earlier. I only made it because I was confused about where yours went.

More than 4 people should be deducted 5 mins, so should less than 90kgs :D

hosko

Postby hosko » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:31 pm

Well I logged a short one today... 110kg here so what are my discounts?

How the heck does one do 37km/h :!: :?:

Looks like the bikeforce shop ride for Oxenford this weekend is going to be Beachmont. Never done it before and will be my first "hill" to climb. :shock: My ride yesterday I powered up some of the hills nicely which I haven't done before and over 55km managed to keep my average speed around the 28km/h mark so getting better.

Beachmont is 26km from the shop. Going to guess it's quicker getting home.

Oh and can you modify these rides in anyway? I stopped at the shop yesterday probably for around 15mins to get a tube and sort out a new helmet for myself which is why on Strava it say 26.5km/h however my Cateye had me around 28.5km/h? I obviously forgot to pause the app.

http://app.strava.com/rides/1239943
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

norbs

Postby norbs » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:08 am

Seems like he rode around doing most of my segments. Dirty bastige! :)

Nowra Hill east time is fast and he has an average heart rate of 98BPM! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:45 pm

norbs wrote:

Seems like he rode around doing most of my segments. Dirty bastige! :)

Nowra Hill east time is fast and he has an average heart rate of 98BPM! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Now you mention it, I am pretty sure he was wearing a cape :lol:

toholio

Postby toholio » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:41 pm

hosko wrote:Oh and can you modify these rides in anyway? I stopped at the shop yesterday probably for around 15mins to get a tube and sort out a new helmet for myself which is why on Strava it say 26.5km/h however my Cateye had me around 28.5km/h? I obviously forgot to pause the app.
If you're using the iPhone app you can't currently pause rides. The pause button just brings up another menu while it goes on recording silently in the background.

It has lead to some funny results in my rides before I asked support about it. Carrying the phone indoors makes the GPS accuracy drop way down to the point that it jumps up to a km away in a few seconds. That once gave me a max speed of over 130km/h :P

Apparently they're working on making the pause function work as you'd expect.

hosko

Postby hosko » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:28 pm

toholio wrote: If you're using the iPhone app you can't currently pause rides. The pause button just brings up another menu while it goes on recording silently in the background.

It has lead to some funny results in my rides before I asked support about it. Carrying the phone indoors makes the GPS accuracy drop way down to the point that it jumps up to a km away in a few seconds. That once gave me a max speed of over 130km/h :P

Apparently they're working on making the pause function work as you'd expect.
Thanks! didn't know that it didn't pause... why put a pause button there in the first place???

Yes I have seen also that top speed ballzup. Here is the ride I posted above - http://app.strava.com/rides/1239943

Waiting to see if someone can get it over 200km/h.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:14 pm

You snooze you lose with the weekly leader board.

Only 2 days on the bike this week and by tomorrow I will be pushed off the leaderboard.

I will have to drag Norbs out for a Sunday Morning ride to catch up :D

flashgaza

Postby flashgaza » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:08 am

This is one of the many options on the South Coast of N.S.W if you like riding hills with great views. This is yesterdays ride about three quarters the way up, and I am glad that I did it yesterday, as it is pouring rain and a howling southerley wind to boot today. :(

http://app.strava.com/rides/1280188

Cheers
Gazza :lol:

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:29 am

flashgaza wrote:This is one of the many options on the South Coast of N.S.W if you like riding hills with great views. This is yesterdays ride about three quarters the way up, and I am glad that I did it yesterday, as it is pouring rain and a howling southerley wind to boot today. :(

Cheers
That is Sirius territory. When my fitness is better I am going to tackle Saddleback. :twisted:

flashgaza

Postby flashgaza » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:19 pm

That is Sirius territory. When my fitness is better I am going to tackle Saddleback.
No a great difference to Cambewarra, just not as many bends. :roll:

Cheers
Gazza :D

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:08 pm

flashgaza wrote:This is one of the many options on the South Coast of N.S.W if you like riding hills with great views. This is yesterdays ride about three quarters the way up, and I am glad that I did it yesterday, as it is pouring rain and a howling southerley wind to boot today. :(

Cheers
I was down this way for a wedding for a few months ago and it looks like there's some amazing riding in the area.

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:03 pm

flashgaza wrote:
That is Sirius territory. When my fitness is better I am going to tackle Saddleback.
No a great difference to Cambewarra, just not as many bends. :roll:

Cheers

When I say Sirius, I meant SBlack. :) He is a hill climbing machine that often hits those slopes.

flashgaza

Postby flashgaza » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:28 pm

lethoso wrote:
I was down this way for a wedding for a few months ago and it looks like there's some amazing riding in the area.
This is a great place to ride, as the other Guys on this forum would testify to. The area from Stanwell Park to Nowra and up to the Highlands, has some of the best scenery and varied riding conditions for all types of riders.

Mountain Biking.( Coastal track From Kiama to Gerringong)
http://app.strava.com/rides/1140018

Rainforest.
http://app.strava.com/rides/1101630

Jamberoo Mountain (Shane Blacks playground)

One of the many rural roads.
http://app.strava.com/rides/1150747

Great place to live and ride, but really crappy at present (as you can see as I have got time to fool around doing this when I should be out riding. :cry: )

Cheers

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:06 pm

Saddleback is on my agenda too, one day.

Do you think the Coastal walk is do able on a Cyclocross bike?

Don't forget we have lots of MTB riding in Nowra too.

http://www.scum.asn.au

Myself, Shane and 2 other mates rode from Kiama to Thirroul and back in June. On a day a little worse than today.

flashgaza

Postby flashgaza » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:51 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Saddleback is on my agenda too, one day.
I forgot to mention to Norbs, that Saddleback does not have the traffic that Camberrwarra does. :)
Mugglechops wrote:Do you think the Coastal walk is do able on a Cyclocross bike?

The pictures I posted do not show the steeper and narrower (and rocky) parts of the ride. In answer to your question, most probably not. :P

Cheers

sblack

Postby sblack » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:09 pm

Top work there Gazza. I notice a couple of days ago you rode most of the way up the other side too, turned around at the road block? How do the two sides compare? I've only gone up the Jamberoo side so far, planning on future rides to try some of the ways up from Kiama. Looking at profiles the Jamberoo side is the shorter steeper one which for me seams to be what makes hills harder. Macquarie Pass is higher and longer than Saddleback but Saddleback feels much harder, especially those few hundred metres from the gate to the carpark at the lookout that finish the climb off.
flashgaza wrote:This is a great place to ride, as the other Guys on this forum would testify to. The area from Stanwell Park to Nowra and up to the Highlands, has some of the best scenery and varied riding conditions for all types of riders.
I definately agree. In fact in a ride report in the 6k thread I commented on how I'd had a nice complete ride. I had three hours spare until I was meeting my wife for a late lunch and managed to get a ride in that included rural backroads, a good steep climb, a relatively flat and smooth freeway section and some coastal PSP.

flashgaza

Postby flashgaza » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:11 pm

sblack wrote:Top work there Gazza. I notice a couple of days ago you rode most of the way up the other side too, turned around at the road block? How do the two sides compare? I've only gone up the Jamberoo side so far, planning on future rides to try some of the ways up from Kiama. Looking at profiles the Jamberoo side is the shorter steeper one which for me seams to be what makes hills harder. Macquarie Pass is higher and longer than Saddleback but Saddleback feels much harder, especially those few hundred metres from the gate to the carpark at the lookout that finish the climb off.
Fountaindale definitely smacks more than the Kiama side, which has one ore two easier sections. As for the carpark, I really don't like to hurt myself that much (soft). :mrgreen:

Cheers

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:35 pm

how many "days" of riding (100~150km or so) are in the area? half a mind to come down for a bit if it'd be worth the bother of boxing up my bike. What'd be the best place to base myself out of?

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:43 am

lethoso wrote:how many "days" of riding (100~150km or so) are in the area? half a mind to come down for a bit if it'd be worth the bother of boxing up my bike. What'd be the best place to base myself out of?

The best place to base yourself would probably be Kiama. You can ride from there to Wollongong and beyond, plus you can also do Saddleback Mtn, Jamberoo Pass and Macquarie Pass.

You then can head towards Berry and go into Kangaroo Valley and do the climbs there.

hosko

Postby hosko » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:43 am

Well did Beachmont this morning.

http://app.strava.com/rides/1297543

First proper hill I have done before and while it was hard dragging myself up the hill, the view was sensational!

Shame about the Sun being where it was but I took this just as we started our way back down.

Using an app from the iPhone I downloaded a few days ago, I cropped this one but this is what I got. Lines don't match up brilliantly however it composes the picture by taking multiple stills and then aligning them automatically.