ACF Strava Club

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Aushiker wrote:Dave McGraw has an interesting blog posting on Strava segment flagging and Strava heatmaps.

Andrew

I have twice flagged the same (or nearly the same just redrawn) segment as hazardous, and someone else has done it once too. The most recent version included in the title "THIS IS NOT HAZARDOUS!".

I provided details along with the flags to explain my reasoning although not sure whether that is just a waste of pixels. The segment is a narrow shared path with a number of corners that are blind due to terrain and vegetation. I don't recall ever having ridden along it where I haven't encountered pedestrian traffic, most frequently elderly people, or parents with prams.

From the other side of the argument, if someone flags your segment do you get informed? I'd be nice if my reasoning was put directly to the segment creator, even if there was some sort of review process.

I'll get some footage of the segment now I have new cameras, so at least you folk can decide if I'm being unreasonable.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

by BNA » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:34 pm

BNA

Postby jasonc » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:34 pm

if you think it's hazardous, don't ride it
jasonc

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:53 pm

jasonc wrote:if you think it's hazardous, don't ride it

It's fine to ride, it's hazardous to ride fast. It should be of no interest to know exactly how fast you go. If you really want to do that the time is still recorded so you can keep your own record manually.

Its actually one of the most pleasant bits of the my ride.

Here is the segment if you are interested.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby jasonc » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:05 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Its actually one of the most pleasant bits of the my ride.

Ha! I've actually rode that a few years ago. It is nice. Would I go fast around there? No
Do I think it should be marked hazardous? No

We need to stop being the nanny for everyone
jasonc

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:03 pm

As someone that constantly has KOMs flagged (most likely by the previous KOM holder or some stravafanboy that can't get their speed up) or good segments that are nowhere near hazardous anyone that flags segments can sod right off. The ones that annoy me the most are the idiots that flag climbs. Seriously f*** off. It's a climb. It's hardly dangerous if you are climbing. Unless they are of the heavy set and are afraid of falling on their back like a turtle :P There's a reason why there are hardly any flagged mtb segments - because the ones that ride them don't have their balls in someones purse :P

http://www.strava.com/segments/5307769
http://www.strava.com/segments/6839419
Lukeyboy

Postby jasonc » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:10 pm

+1 to lukeyboy

I had a go at one of the guys I ride with - turns out he's flagged 2 downhill segments because he found them unsafe. my response "don't ride them"

I suggested that his KOMs would all be flagged if he flags anymore segments
jasonc

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:22 pm

You can still ride them. Just don't be a complete tosser about every strava segment that's available. If it upsets you that much click hide or get off strava. If all you are going to do is complain about segments that people created then why sign up in the first place. Maybe I should go and create 100-200m strava segments along the bikeway in the city where I averaged 60-70kph. Heaven forbid should I create downhill segments. The Hazardous Police would have a field day! :P
Lukeyboy

Postby CXCommuter » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:53 pm

Out of the several thousand segments I have ridden there are only a handful I would say really need flagging and are related to what I would call pre-existing blackspots, the best example I can think of is the PSP alongside West Leederville Station- narrow, pedestrians, dangerous riding occurring without random guys sprinting for a KOM. Segments along here get flagged pretty quickly (not by me-by unknown others but I do agree with them in the above instance. Common sense should indicate to not ride on the limits here but some people are severely lacking in this. There are so many segments elsewhere there doesn't need to be one for every metre of road out there and some areas are inappropriate.

Other segments that have been flagged just don't make sense at to why and the person who did should be made to ride hill repeats off a cliff.
CXCommuter

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:22 pm

I've been meaning to ask this question for quite a while (maybe I have and I've forgotten), but does anyone know how I can change a ride to take a KOM away from myself? Yes really...

Last year's Noosa century short course, I came in 4th a second or two behind 3rd, but on the segments i'm nearly 3 minutes in front of him. I've been over the course an can only see one very short section where the GPS track doesn't match the road, but I can't see that making a 3minute difference. Any tips?

http://www.strava.com/activities/51080334/
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby jasonc » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:02 am

make the ride private?
jasonc

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:56 pm

Leave it? :P
Lukeyboy

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:59 pm

But neither of those actually fixes the time :) . I tried correcting the one obvious tracking error on strava needs a polish, clicked 'save new file' and....nothing :? .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby jasonc » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:06 pm

export the ride and split it into 2 rides (killing that segment)??
jasonc

Postby Dimma » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:56 pm

Don't manipulate the ride, email Strava support and ask them to take you off the segment leaderboard.
That is all.
Dimma

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:59 pm

jasonc wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:Its actually one of the most pleasant bits of the my ride.

Ha! I've actually rode that a few years ago. It is nice. Would I go fast around there? No
Do I think it should be marked hazardous? No

We need to stop being the nanny for everyone

Hi Jasonc,

I'll take your point about nanny so I won't flag it again, but there is at least one other person who has flagged this segment, or the identical one in the other direction, so I'm not alone. A few years ago was before the Kangara Waters retirement Village, and the Canberra Lakes Estate. It was also before the cost of parking in the big carparks for the Belconnen public servants doubled to $9 (many still remember when it was free). This means that there are commuters parking in the carpark for John Knight Memorial Park and walking in to save themselves some money and get some incidental exercise (which is something I support). There are also others who put bikes on racks and drive to other carparks around the lake and ride the last couple of km in, which is something else I support and I do it as well when I want the car for some reason. JKMP and the surrounding parks and paths are also a popular choice for lunch time exercise sessions and BBQs. All in all the path is much busier now than it was when I returned to Canberra in 2008. Because I do the school drop-off and collection I tend to ride in the off-peak periods.

Naturally the fates conspired such that today's ride was not typical, but in the interests of timeliness here it is anyway.

2:40 you won't get back.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:00 pm

To be brutally honest it doesn't look all that bad. I can easily see how someone can set a fast time especially if they were familiar with the area and knew what to expect.
Lukeyboy

Postby TonyMax » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:30 am

I had my one and only clip stack in there after having to stop for two sets of mum, kid and scooter. I was riding too fast for the time of day and traffic level, they were completely blocking the path but I wasn't being particularly careful.
TonyMax

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:06 am

Lukeyboy wrote:To be brutally honest it doesn't look all that bad. I can easily see how someone can set a fast time especially if they were familiar with the area and knew what to expect.

There's bits I'd be happy to fang, but as usual, safety then strava
jasonc

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:34 am

Lukeyboy wrote:To be brutally honest it doesn't look all that bad. I can easily see how someone can set a fast time especially if they were familiar with the area and knew what to expect.

I absolutely agree with Lukeyboy in this statement.

However the point where I disagree is with regard to the level of knowledge of what you will find around the next corner. There are at least 4 spots on that path where there is barely enough time to react to e.g. two pedestrians walking in opposite directions, even if you ride at a steady pace. I don't believe that there is enough time to react at a fast pace. I don't think that going hard and hoping for the best is the right approach. YMMV

This stretch forms my typical commute and I would ride it twice most days, (or I did until the Lawson roadworks made the entry difficult inbound). It is always my outbound route. I don't believe I have ever had a 'clear' run on that path, even at night. There are plenty of other stretches of path and road nearby where it is appropriate to demonstrate athletic prowess. I've even created one segment specifically for the users of that path http://app.strava.com/segments/3806224 to differentiate them from those that have built up speed coming along the bridge as they make their way up Gininderra Drive.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:44 am

Knowledge would be when to go a bit faster and when to go a bit slower. Obviously have a 'faster' pace on the good sections and then slow it right down on the slower/blind sections.
Lukeyboy

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:04 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Knowledge would be when to go a bit faster and when to go a bit slower. Obviously have a 'faster' pace on the good sections and then slow it right down on the slower/blind sections.

KOMs aren't built on knowledge, but max efforts for the required distance, perhaps a leadout, perhaps a tailwind, perhaps a wheel to hunt down. This IS part of the issue.
Xplora

Postby vosadrian » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:22 am

Does anyone think that flagging a shared path segment will stop riders from going fast? If a rider likes to go fast and take risks, flagging a segment is not going to make a difference. Most of the time if I am riding fast, it is to reach average speed goals and has nothing to do with segments. I understand why strava introduced flagged segments for protection against litigation, but I really think that riders need to be responsible for their own actions and other riders do not need to take the Nanny role of flagging segments. I believe I ride responsibly and choose times when I take risks on shared paths, but it annoys me when someone flags segments that are perfectly safe... like flat sections on a road with a wide shoulder????
vosadrian

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:26 am

vosadrian wrote:Does anyone think that flagging a shared path segment will stop riders from going fast? If a rider likes to go fast and take risks, flagging a segment is not going to make a difference. Most of the time if I am riding fast, it is to reach average speed goals and has nothing to do with segments. I understand why strava introduced flagged segments for protection against litigation, but I really think that riders need to be responsible for their own actions and other riders do not need to take the Nanny role of flagging segments. I believe I ride responsibly and choose times when I take risks on shared paths, but it annoys me when someone flags segments that are perfectly safe... like flat sections on a road with a wide shoulder????

No it won't stop people riding fast but it removes one of the incentives/reasons for going fast, Strava leaderboards. There are many other reasons for riding fast as pointed out, doesn't mean we have to not consider one aspect and remove it where appropriate and where justified (and this needs more consensus than just one nanny with a complex)
CXCommuter

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:00 pm

Xplora wrote:KOMs aren't built on knowledge, but max efforts for the required distance, perhaps a leadout, perhaps a tailwind, perhaps a wheel to hunt down. This IS part of the issue.

Max efforts? Please :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Not all of us get to sandbag easy segments for our KOMs :lol: Some of us have to rely on hard work and GPS file averaging!!!! 8)
Xplora

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion