ACF Strava Club

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:29 pm

Its not that far :D
Mugglechops

by BNA » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:29 am

BNA

Postby Max » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:29 am

norbs wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:
norbs wrote:And don't forget the 29kms I did today :D Having tomorrow off so you can catch me.

129kms tomorrow? :shock:

LOL talk about throwing down the gauntlet early in the piece :lol:

I love how Strava lets you set up segments for sections of the ride. I can't tell you how many times I've thought to myself, "Hey, I reckon I must've had a great ride during such-and-such section of my ride", but haven't truly known. Now I can just create a segment and off I go! :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby sblack » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:49 pm

Max wrote:For those of you who'd rather not pay for membership (to get around the 5 uploads per month limit), Strava have announced some changes. Of course, this happened the day after I paid for membership :roll: :lol: Oh well. Still, I really like the leaderboard stuff and the unofficial time trial/competitiveness stuff. And it seems paid plans will get some extra stuff as a result of this change anyway.

DaveOz, this is all I can find. Maybe the new improved Strava will have a leaderboard-like dashboard thing for the club page. :idea:

Max

Just stumbled accross this page. It's a week by week leaderboard with categories for overall (distance), time trial (average speed for 20 minute effort I think), climber (total), best climb (single climb), commuter (distance) and most rides. To get to it without the link either go into an event or into athletes. From there click on leaderboard and then you can choose ACF from the drop down menu on the right. You can scroll through the weeks down the bottom of the page.

Well done to Tong Yong Kun who seams to be the most consistant Jersey winner for the past few weeks and Matt Carrigg who is holding 4 of the 6 for this week at the moment. Still some hours left though so get those rides in people. Have to see how I go after church, I reckon I can have a shot at the polka dot jersey with one final ride for the month :D

edit: Just realised TT seams to be based on a 20 minute best effort rather than a ride. Corrected above.
sblack

Postby norbs » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:20 pm

Interesting page Shane. I don't think they could have made it much harder to find either. :)

I reckon Tong is the clear favourite for most jerseys most weeks. The man is a machine! I might go for the commuting jersey next week. :)

Whilst I was poking around in Strava, I found a 55km climb at 5.3%.

See my latest blog post for details and answer the question, where is your biggest climb?

http://cycling.norbtech.com/2011/07/so- ... can-climb/
norbs

Postby Baldy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:20 pm

Nice idea Shane.

Strava is great huh, so addictive trying to beat your pb's. Until it gets to the stage where your pb for a segment is wind assisted so unless the conditions are right you are unlikely to beat it, for a while at least[more steak needed] So then I move onto something else.

I think the only KOM's ive had have been from segments I have created myself :oops: :lol: :lol: Some didnt last and the remaining couple are only there because the guys down here are being polite and not smashing it! Which is fine when they do, I think pb's are the most important bit. Because you can usually remember the conditions of your old best mark, so you have something to compare. You know when you are going flat out and its nice when you get a result.....and something new to chase :twisted:

I only use it on the roadbikes and a few times on the mtb, I might start using it more on the mtb but I cringe at the thought of going AOT and having it being smashed. Its on the stem but still, it pokes out a bit. I never take it on the commuter/touring bike because I dont care about how fast I'm going on that, the only reason it has a computer at all is to track kms over its life.

Baldy=Daniel Baldwin.....dont blame me, blame some 7yo kid 27years ago
Baldy

Postby DaveOZ » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:25 pm

norbs wrote:See my latest blog post for details and answer the question, where is your biggest climb?

Those speeds are unbelievable :shock: 17.3km/h average :shock:
DaveOZ

Postby Yongkun » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:28 pm

Definitely not a machine, i lack so much on the intensity side, got dropped in a club crit.
Can't wait for the temperature to rise, struggling to find the motivation to cycle 6am in the morning with the freezing weather, worse still with me binge drinking those coffee and eating whatever i can find in the coffee house after rides.

Strava is so interactive, compared to Garminconnect, kudos to them. Nice to see what routes you guys are doing.

Don't let those PB and Segments timing rule your head! Safe and fun riding guys.
Yongkun

Postby norbs » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:59 pm

Here is something to think about since we are talking about climbing.

I wonder if one of you clever buggers could work out a formula in Excel that gives the gradient in a percentage if we used the total distance traveled and the amount climbed in a week, month or year. Would be an interesting stat I reckon.
norbs

Postby lethoso » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:51 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Those speeds are unbelievable :shock: 17.3km/h average :shock:

that's not so crazy.... except it's for 3 hours. I think 55km of descent would make it all worthwhile though :)

Baldy wrote:I think the only KOM's ive had have been from segments I have created myself :oops: :lol: :lol:

I'm guilty of adding one or two like that :lol:
lethoso

Postby number21 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:26 pm

I've been using strava for a couple of months. Just makes it easy to use, be interested to see the upgrades. I signed up for one month and didn't realise it was ongoing, but hey its only $5.75AUD at the moment!

Nice idea for the BNA club, cheers sblack. I'm Peter on there anyways.
number21

Postby sblack » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:13 am

Welcome to the club Peter. I notice a segment on your ride from saturday called Lot 1 Lilyvale Rd Climb. Is that the one known as the wall?
sblack

Postby number21 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:18 pm

sblack wrote:Welcome to the club Peter. I notice a segment on your ride from saturday called Lot 1 Lilyvale Rd Climb. Is that the one known as the wall?

Yes thats the wall. First time since January I've ventured into the RNP after broken leg/cold weather/the tour, thought I felt alright after reaching Bald Hill and decided to give the wall a crack...

Could feel the cramps creeping up on me during the return to Bald Hill and then remembered I didn't bring any electrolyte tablets. All the way out of the National Park I was unable to pedal out of the saddle, then my left thigh finally seized about 200 metres from the top. Amazing what difference a 5 minute stretch can make. I thought I'd be walking out but it loosened up enough to get me home.
number21

Postby chucknitro » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:57 pm

Just joined the Strava Club as "Chuck Gunna" - I'm gunna do something one day!!!
2013 Scott CR1 Premium - Ultegra Di2 compact.
chucknitro

Postby norbs » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Come on you slackers!

:D :D :D
norbs

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:38 pm

They need some shortcut buttons on Strava - that leader board page is so hard to find.

I love the interface though, the way the cursor move along the route and graph at the same time is really useful. It also works on my iPad. Puts Garmin Connect to shame.

Does anyone see a point in continuing to upload to Garmin Connect or have you just moved to Strava?
DaveOZ

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:48 pm

norbs wrote:Come on you slackers!

:D :D :D

Who you calling a slacker :D

And I am leading overall too :P

Mugglechops

Postby mcarrigg » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:16 am

Hi Guys,

Joined this club as well. Ive been using Strava for a few months now and love it. Like some posters above, I have created a couple of segments that I do regularly.

Definately love the site and now the bna group...
mcarrigg

Postby paladin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:45 pm

The promotional code: girodilento11 appears to have expired. Woops mistake with copy and pasting!

Are there any other codes available?
Last edited by paladin on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paladin

Postby ghengis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:43 pm

Can I ask anyone that rides the river loop in Brisbane to go to this segment:

http://app.strava.com/segments/655328

It seems someone has flagged it as hazardous... I know it can be sometimes depending who is walking along, but I can't see any reason why it should not be included. If you click on "Actions" (below the share this segment) There is a "flag" option which allows you to flag it as non-hazardous. I'm guessing if enough people do so, they will unlock it. I'm sure it was fine a week or two ago.

Thanks
Ghengis
ghengis

Postby lethoso » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:06 pm

ghengis wrote:I can't see any reason why it should not be included

I don't think it's really the best place to hold a sprint. What's wrong with the corso or any of the other flat sections which aren't shared paths?
lethoso

Postby sblack » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:37 pm

Well I've been looking around the site a little more. The navigation certainly needs some work because like the weekly leaderboard there's more hidden away. What I've found now is that for people who have ACF as their club in the 2011 Studio Velo KOM Challenge we have an ACF leaderboard as well as monthly leaderboards for August, July, June, May, April, March, February and January. To make it easier for navigation purposes I'll put these links in a comment on the ACF Club Page.
sblack

Postby norbs » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:10 pm

Excellent work Shane. It is a pig of a site to navigate.
norbs

Postby Max » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:22 am

lethoso wrote:
ghengis wrote:I can't see any reason why it should not be included

I don't think it's really the best place to hold a sprint. What's wrong with the corso or any of the other flat sections which aren't shared paths?

+1. Riding along this stretch, I saw a pedestrian taken out by a careless cyclist a while back, and it wasn't good. All it takes is one testosterone-induced competitive moment and someone can be badly hurt.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby norbs » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:11 am

Strava have implemented some of the new features.

Check it out.
norbs

Postby lethoso » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:09 am

norbs wrote:Strava have implemented some of the new features.

Check it out.

ooh, looks pretty cool.

I like the new leaderboard layout, and the training stuff looks interesting.
lethoso

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion