ACF Strava Club

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby gretaboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:26 pm

jasonc wrote:great - another comp you'll thrash me on

is there a comp????
gretaboy

by BNA » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:31 pm

BNA

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:31 pm

gretaboy wrote:

is there a comp????

no. but you do 100kms 4 days a week. that is not something I can do.
jasonc

Postby gretaboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:37 pm

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:

is there a comp????

no. but you do 100kms 4 days a week. that is not something I can do.

well lets see if winter changes that...wet winter at least, was thinking about that as I was riding to work this morning..will I keep doing 100 a day when it is pouring rain
gretaboy

Postby Xplora » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Not a bad week, almost broke through 100 top 25s and I've got 61 top 10s... Image

I'm definitely taking it easy on the KOMs now, there is a certain rider who I am fairly certain will kill themselves trying to chase these in my local area.... they have the pace to take whatever they want on the shorter segments, but when they are exceeding the speed limit like a P plater hoon I'm left only with concern for their safety. You can't control your vehicle very well at 73kmh in the 50 zone :(

Anyway, been very pleased with my progress, I've managed to improve my sprint AND endurance over the past couple months. Amazing what some training does!
Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:22 pm

FTW, picked up 3 KOMs today bwahahahahahhaha
Xplora

Postby macca33 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Wow, didn't know Strava KOMs - no matter what / where they are - were so important. Good luck with that....
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800 & CAAD10 Team Ult6800

macca33

Postby Xplora » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:34 pm

Apparently distance is important to you, based on your sig... good luck with that. Ride faster, get home faster, more time with family. I don't have the ability to race right now... KOMs provide motivation where there is none.
Xplora

Postby Milar » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:33 am

Xplora wrote:I'm definitely taking it easy on the KOMs now, there is a certain rider who I am fairly certain will kill themselves trying to chase these in my local area.... they have the pace to take whatever they want on the shorter segments, but when they are exceeding the speed limit like a P plater hoon I'm left only with concern for their safety. You can't control your vehicle very well at 73kmh in the 50 zone

Fair enough.

Xplora wrote:FTW, picked up 3 KOMs today bwahahahahahhaha

That didn't last long! I guess your 65kmh in a 50 zone isn't hooning but 73 is? Or your ~40kmh average speed on a populated PSP at dusk is considered safe and controlled. :roll:

Good effort with your KOM's, enjoy the motivation it gives, but don't lament another person claiming KOM's when it appears you'd be just as happy to do the same if you could.
Milar

Postby Dimma » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Hopefully the novelty will wear off when claiming KOM's
Dimma

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Dimma wrote:

:D

Then there's the old 'segment in my driveway' chestnut....
Dan

Postby jules21 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:33 pm

I have one KoM. it's a dinky bit of seldom-used singletrack that I blasted through, just to see if I could get one. it's meaningless. all of the real KoMs are taken by pros or A-graders. i'm neither of those and do not have any "real" KoMs, probably never will. i'm most interested in how much I can improve on those segments.
jules21

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:35 pm

I got a KOM today :) According to raceshape I was 23 seconds down but when I got to the road I pulled the time back and took the KOM by 5 seconds over the last ~1.5km.... I guess I really wanted to grab a feed at Nudgee Beach :P. I'll have to smash the first and middle sector along that shared pathway when it dries up. I also got a KOM tied notification the other day but when I logged on someone had flagged the segment as dangerous :( Ah well.
Lukeyboy

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:31 pm

jules21 wrote:I have one KoM. it's a dinky bit of seldom-used singletrack that I blasted through, just to see if I could get one. it's meaningless. all of the real KoMs are taken by pros or A-graders. i'm neither of those and do not have any "real" KoMs, probably never will. i'm most interested in how much I can improve on those segments.

Yeah but it's enjoyable to try and push your limits, especially on a proper segment like a climb. I actually like the longer ones - 15km or more. Those are enjoyable. Especially in places where you can really go for it and not need to stop all the time.
Giant TCR SL1 / Cervelo P5 Six / Specialized Langster Pro
g-boaf

Postby kb » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:09 am

My one KOM isn't a KOM. I was on foot in the middle of nowhere. Bit sad really... I do like seeing PRs on longer segments though.
kb

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:26 am

Dimma wrote:

LOL 3 in a day is pretty awesome considering how hard it is along the Parra River to take them. I'm not a pro, but working towards A grade speeds. Strava just helps.

Milar, the 65kmh is complete rubbish, the GPS isn't sensitive enough to give you good data over a 12 second segment. It just can't do it. I reckon My Cateye said 45-50? Either way, I've got lights, I don't do blockburners in areas that are unsafe (like that little dog leg near the new townhouses in Ermo on the path). Check my speeds, they vary a lot depending on the path. I'm quick, but I spent too much time on the train to risk injury for a time. Race the climbs :) I don't lament GS taking KOMs, I lament that we'll see Strava banned in NSW because he gets killed trying to take one. I lament that we'll lose a talented racer, and someone's relative. That stuff is scary. It actually demotivates me to take them off him, because he will try to take it again, and it might not be safe.

Should mention that I wasn't trying to take a KOM, I just took a different path home and was working on my cadence sprinting... set some good times... if you're quick, you take them. If you are not, then you don't. There are some incredibly fast times in my area, and I don't think I can safely take some of them. That's what my post meant, Milar.

In other news, I lost 2 yesterday. Spewin' but that's the gig. :mrgreen:
Xplora

Postby Dimma » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:33 am

Don't get me wrong I gave you Kudos for the ride, but like I said things will change over time.
You're still in the Strava honeymoon phase. There will always be someone faster.
Dimma

Postby Marto » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:03 am

Reaction to first few KOMs:

Reaction to later KOMs:

Marto

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:22 am

Dimma wrote:Don't get me wrong I gave you Kudos for the ride, but like I said things will change over time.
You're still in the Strava honeymoon phase. There will always be someone faster.

Rule #10, it doesn't get easier, you just get faster :mrgreen:

Not all KOMs are created equal... some are snores, some are the gangsta baby 8)
Xplora

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:31 am

The only koms that gets intrest/laughs out of me anymore are the deleted ones or where there is a massive time difference either overall or claiming a huge chunk of time in the last bit like my kom yesterday. Apart from that... meh haha :P
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lukeyboy

Postby jasonc » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:36 am

you guys all suck.I have one KOM and it's a segment I've created. I had another one, but my cousin stole it from me.
my area is full of super quick guys who also race, so I've got no chance
jasonc

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:45 pm

Don't want to stir too much, but there is a definite correlation between sigs and interest in the data :wink: Funnily enough though, I ALWAYS pull better times if I'm chasing or racing (alleged) riders on the road, particularly the commute. Lots of stop start so you get a lot more energy for blitzing a few times. It's interesting that I rode with a mate to work today, and my fitness has improved so much since last year!
Xplora

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:23 pm

Xplora wrote:Don't want to stir too much, but there is a definite correlation between sigs and interest in the data :wink: Funnily enough though, I ALWAYS pull better times if I'm chasing or racing (alleged) riders on the road, particularly the commute. Lots of stop start so you get a lot more energy for blitzing a few times. It's interesting that I rode with a mate to work today, and my fitness has improved so much since last year!

CCR will do that haha.
Lukeyboy

Postby marinmomma » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:06 pm

jasonc wrote:you guys all suck.I have one KOM and it's a segment I've created. I had another one, but my cousin stole it from me.
my area is full of super quick guys who also race, so I've got no chance

The joys go being a girl...easier to get some QOM's :wink: And when I can sit on Mr MM's wheel I pick a few up!
Get off the riverloop and try the outer areas...if you can survive the bogans!
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby Dimma » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:47 pm

Xplora wrote:Don't want to stir too much, but there is a definite correlation between sigs and interest in the data :wink: Funnily enough though, I ALWAYS pull better times if I'm chasing or racing (alleged) riders on the road, particularly the commute. Lots of stop start so you get a lot more energy for blitzing a few times. It's interesting that I rode with a mate to work today, and my fitness has improved so much since last year!

Sig updated to show more meaningful data
Dimma

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:19 pm

:lol:
Xplora

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion