Avanti Bicycle Co. buys Pacific Brands Bicycle Division

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Avanti Bicycle Co. buys Pacific Brands Bicycle Division

Postby wombatK » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:45 pm

AUbicycles wrote: don't have the info to be able to make a decision.

Which is why it's risky being a shareholder. Transparency is the enemy of someone who wants to steal from the shareholders, obfuscation is their buddy. But in the choice between corruption and incompetence, the latter is the more likely. It could just be a poorly executed plan to get the better ideas and products coming of out Pacific Brands. Maybe an opportunity came up and a deal had to be closed before everything could be sorted out. Time will tell.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

by BNA » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:15 pm

BNA

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:15 pm

Tom, I see where you are coming from and I guess the uncertainty is what is leading the entire discussion and why some LBS's were sharing such thoughts.

wombatK you do paint a dreary picture. The purchase was only official on the September 1st so it is possible that we now get some announcements and Local Bike Shops are updated - at a time point when the new owners first can make definite statements.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:46 am

Hi

Paligap has now taken on UK distribution duties for Avanti Bikes.

The long term deal will see Paligap bring Australasia’s big selling brand to Britain, now sporting a range of 120 different models suiting all styles of riders and terrain.

All of Avanti’s bikes are designed in New Zealand and the range covers world-class time trial and track bikes, to Avanti’s lauded road and mountain bike ranges and a plethora of path and trail style and kids’ bikes.

Avanti group product manager Kim Struthers is keen to bring the Kiwi brand to the UK market: “While all of cycling’s major brands operate heavily in this market there is a relative sameness to their approach and we believe a new brand with a new story from down under holds much appeal.”

More at Bike Biz

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:22 pm

Will that mean that we will be able to buy an Avanti distributed bike cheaper online from England than it will be available from the LBS?

Or are the LBS’s in Aus finally going to get a better wholesale deal so that they can stay competitive with the overseas online stores?
greyhoundtom

Postby R12RT » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:38 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi

Paligap has now taken on UK distribution duties for Avanti Bikes.

The long term deal will see Paligap bring Australasia’s big selling brand to Britain, now sporting a range of 120 different models suiting all styles of riders and terrain.

All of Avanti’s bikes are designed in New Zealand and the range covers world-class time trial and track bikes, to Avanti’s lauded road and mountain bike ranges and a plethora of path and trail style and kids’ bikes.

Avanti group product manager Kim Struthers is keen to bring the Kiwi brand to the UK market: “While all of cycling’s major brands operate heavily in this market there is a relative sameness to their approach and we believe a new brand with a new story from down under holds much appeal.”

More at Bike Biz

Andrew

Aren't Avanti's already sold in th UK under the Raleigh brand?
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1
R12RT

Postby Jonboi1978 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:00 pm

with the risk of sounding inflammatory, i don't really understand the big deal. branding is a strange concept to me, sure i recognize the need, but i'm more interested in the quality of the build rather than the name/logo on the downtube. i don't want to come across like some steel is real wonderful person, but to me there ain't really that much difference in the direction that modern bikes are running. sure there are various grades of frames & we all feel much more comfortable about things when we can prejudge something's desirablity based upon it's brand, but it is only a frame. they all (for the most part) have somebody else produce the running gear/wheels etc, the frame just holds these pieces in the right position.
Jonboi1978

Previous

Return to General discussion