Ugly Bikes

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:33 pm

Jeebers, that bloke is more hamfisted with a welder than I am. :roll:

I have absolutely no idea why but something about that Kestrel TT jobbie of adrian d's that kinda blows me hair back...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25683
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

by BNA » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:11 am

BNA
 

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby Trev Campbell » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:11 am

il padrone wrote:
Trev Campbell wrote:
longbody wrote:Now these are ugly:

Image


I think I remeber seeing this one on telly. Didn't this guy try to set a new bicycle land speed record. It got towed up to a certain speed by a speically designed dragster and then released

Didn't 'try', he succeeded. John Howard :mrgreen: , US Olympic medalist, was towed up to about 60mph (100kmh) and then set a new bicycle (motor-paced) speed record of 152mph (244kmh :shock: )

Magazine article from Sports Illustrated, 1985

Image


Thanks il padrone, that photo with the dragster is the one I rememeber. my grey matter must still be working to remember that !!!
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"I get paid to hurt other people, how good is that?"
"Shut up legs"
User avatar
Trev Campbell
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:12 pm
Location: Strathalbyn, SA

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby HAKS » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:23 pm

That stem.......*puke*

Image
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
User avatar
HAKS
 
Posts: 2323
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Canberra, AUS

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby adrian_d » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:32 pm

jasonc wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
jasonc wrote:am probably going to get reamed for this, but this posted in the bike gallery thread

It may not be to your taste, nor mine, but this scoot is the pride & joy of a new member here. Besides you could have linked to pretty much any Kestral triathalon bike to make the point.

Beside like Mulger Bill said, ugly but fast is the core design parameter for ALL TT bikes.


absolutely. But this thread is about Ugly bikes. I see that and thought of this thread instantly. If you wish me to remove/modify my post, I will.


Ah yep that would be my ride haha. Its a forum and your more than welcome to comment. As they always say not everything will be everyones taste, and the great thing about that is that everyone rides around in different bikes and it keeps some variety.

Its a fantastic bike and find_bruce was right, it is my pride and joy but I know it was nothing against me, it was just that you had different personal preferences :)
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby Marto » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:20 pm

HAKS wrote:That stem.......*puke*

Image


Holy elliptical chainring batman! :shock:
Image
User avatar
Marto
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:08 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:14 am

adrian_d wrote:Its a fantastic bike and find_bruce was right, it is my pride and joy but I know it was nothing against me, it was just that you had different personal preferences :)


thanks Adrian, appreciate it. enjoy your wheels.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5835
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby adrian_d » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:31 am

jasonc wrote:
adrian_d wrote:Its a fantastic bike and find_bruce was right, it is my pride and joy but I know it was nothing against me, it was just that you had different personal preferences :)


thanks Adrian, appreciate it. enjoy your wheels.


No worries, we are all sharing the same interests and thats the main thing :)
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:54 am

What's this, people having differing views but still playing nicely on the interwebs - unheard of.

No blood, no foul & I can go back to my perverse lust for ugly bikes - except for the stem on wiggins bike - there is a place for it & it is not on a bike.
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3667
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:12 am

find_bruce wrote:No blood, no foul & I can go back to my perverse lust for ugly bikes - except for the stem on wiggins bike - there is a place for it & it is not on a bike.

somewhere else near his pants inserted....?
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5835
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby adrian_d » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:19 am

find_bruce wrote:What's this, people having differing views but still playing nicely on the interwebs - unheard of.

No blood, no foul & I can go back to my perverse lust for ugly bikes - except for the stem on wiggins bike - there is a place for it & it is not on a bike.


Haha yeah as long as I enjoy the bike thats the main thing. The more ugly/unique it is the less there will be on the road haha.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:29 pm

HAKS wrote:That stem.......*puke*

Image


I've finally worked it out... Wiggins was in the shop talking to the guy about the exact stem he wanted, and the guy just couldn't stop staring at his sideburns. this is the result!
Ozkaban
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:19 pm

Image

Image

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20090
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:09 pm

HAKS wrote:That stem.......*puke*

NOT gonna repost that pic!

Is that where the battery is?
Fabs did it better, you couldn't see anything.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25683
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby HAKS » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:13 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
HAKS wrote:That stem.......*puke*

NOT gonna repost that pic!

Is that where the battery is?
Fabs did it better, you couldn't see anything.


Its the bike the Brits have developed for him & Cav to ride at the Olympics (bet Pinarello are stoked with that). The Head tube junction ain't much better then the stem.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
User avatar
HAKS
 
Posts: 2323
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Canberra, AUS

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:45 pm

HAKS wrote:The Head tube junction ain't much better then the stem.

TBH, I hadn't noticed that before, now I need a blunt spoon...

Kill It With Fire.

And C4.

And A Sledghammer.

And Nitric Acid.

And a stake through the BB. Allow no chance of resurrection!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25683
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:15 am

I dunno, I think many of these so-called ugly bikes are just plain groovy. The super high-speed jobbies with the multiple giant cranks are just plain fascinating.
THe small wheels are intruiging too. Instinctively, we think small wheels are slow, yet here is a bloke doing half the speed of sound on them.
How is that not just plain cool ??
I guess that it's just more that middle aged blokes are so freaking conservative. I'm going to look at hipster bikes today, to cleanse my senses of the oppression.
You have officially become your parents.
Ken Ho
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:28 pm
Location: Pikey, based on Southern Gold Coast

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby Rowley Runner » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:52 am

Image


Saw this beauty the other day

Interestingly similar to wiggos bike with the ugly stem



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bents for La Tour
User avatar
Rowley Runner
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:28 am

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:57 am

HAKS wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
HAKS wrote:That stem.......*puke*

NOT gonna repost that pic!

Is that where the battery is?
Fabs did it better, you couldn't see anything.


Its the bike the Brits have developed for him & Cav to ride at the Olympics (bet Pinarello are stoked with that). The Head tube junction ain't much better then the stem.

And what's with the shape of the chain rings? I've seen (and ridden) oval, but that one has a corner on it...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ozkaban
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:00 am

Aushiker wrote:Image

Andrew

I want to show up at my local crits on that thing... Just to see what they would say :twisted:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ozkaban
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:33 am

Ozkaban wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Image

Andrew

I want to show up at my local crits on that thing... Just to see what they would say :twisted:

& if they made the tubes out of spring steel you would have a lovely suspended ride
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3667
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:13 pm

I’m still trying to work out how they fitted the chain cover on the damn thing..........definitely a pain when it comes to cleaning and oiling the chain.
User avatar
greyhoundtom
 
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:28 am
Location: Narre Warren, Victoria

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby HAKS » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Ozkaban wrote:And what's with the shape of the chain rings? I've seen (and ridden) oval, but that one has a corner on it...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2


here ya go

Image
Image
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
User avatar
HAKS
 
Posts: 2323
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Canberra, AUS

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:48 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:I’m still trying to work out how they fitted the chain cover on the damn thing..........definitely a pain when it comes to cleaning and oiling the chain.

Got one on the way for my Rohloff chain drive - a Hebie Chainglider. The idea of a chaincase is to keep all the junk off your chain, so the ongoing need to clean and replace lubricant is very much reduced.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/2012/07/sque ... ainglider/

Image
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18275
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:40 am

HAKS wrote:
Ozkaban wrote:And what's with the shape of the chain rings? I've seen (and ridden) oval, but that one has a corner on it...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2


here ya go
...


Thanks for that - very interesting.

And here's another, courtesy of There, I Fixed it...
Image
Ozkaban
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby adrian_d » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:28 am

Ozkaban wrote:
HAKS wrote:
Ozkaban wrote:And what's with the shape of the chain rings? I've seen (and ridden) oval, but that one has a corner on it...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2


here ya go
...


Thanks for that - very interesting.

And here's another, courtesy of There, I Fixed it...
Image


lmao thats hilarious. You would have to wash your bike with "cuddly washing liquid" haha.

Forget rust, i'd be more worried about moths attacking the frame lol
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)
User avatar
adrian_d
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 am

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit