TDU TV coverage gets screwed?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

TDU TV coverage gets screwed?

Postby Oxford » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:48 pm

I really hope Ch9 steps up and proves many cycling fans wrong, but somehow I doubt it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-11/t ... al/3661732
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

by BNA » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:15 pm

BNA

Re: TDU TV coverage gets screwed?

Postby open roader » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:15 pm

"Don't forget, they're also the Olympic broadcaster" - Mike Turtur

Well Mike, this is hardly a ringing endorsement nor does it fill one with confidence after what I considered was a woeful, ignorant and lack lustre TV coverage of the Beijing Olympics from the 7 network.......... particularly the cycling events...... my 20 cents worth.......

Sorry, but I'm a stick in the mud and believe SBS is the spiritual home of televised cycling in this country. Time will tell, thank goodness it's not the TDF........
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
open roader

Postby CommuRider » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:23 pm

open roader wrote: Time will tell, thank goodness it's not the TDF........

*knocks on wood*

Don't give them any ideas :-/

The horror. They've destroyed rugby coverage so think of the very worst bastardisation they could do to the coverage and you won't be left disappointed. Or underwhelmed.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby GraemeK » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:01 pm

The fact that they think a football commentator calling a cycling race sound like a good idea should be enough warning for anyone but even if they could get it right the concept of sitting through their puerile and annoying advertising is beyond my endurance.
GraemeK

Postby vander » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:11 pm

So we get
"It will include highlights packages of the Cancer Council Classic race and the first four stages of the tour.

The key fifth stage at Willunga and the final stage in Adelaide will have live coverage."

We only get 2 stages now yay but we get highlights packages of Vossy proving to us his cycling credentials.......What a joke.

Thankgod they have still got Paul Sherwin and Phil Liggett but who know probably only for the live stages.
vander

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:27 pm

CommuRider wrote:
open roader wrote: Time will tell, thank goodness it's not the TDF........

*knocks on wood*

Don't give them any ideas :-/

From a post on BV Forums:

evs wrote:Not the death knell yet. Mike Tomolaris tweeted this earlier this afternoon after the announcement.

A reminder #sbs has rights to #tdf till '17. Live coverage in '12 includes Nationals, Flanders, Roubaix, Track Worlds, Giro, California, Vuelta, Jayco Herald-Sun Tourm Road Worlds, + @CyclingCentral for 52 weeks of the year.

This gives us quite few years of quality SBS coverage of international cycling. :D
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Drunkmonkey » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:45 pm

Dont worry - Channel 9 will quickly realise they will struggle to make a dollar after buying the rights to the TDU, and will happily hand the rights back to SBS in the future after losing money on the deal :mrgreen:
Drunkmonkey

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:55 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:Dont worry - Channel 9 will quickly realise they will struggle to make a dollar after buying the rights to the TDU, and will happily hand the rights back to SBS in the future after losing money on the deal :mrgreen:

"Distressed stock" comes to mind... ;)
Nate

Postby Scarfy96 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Wonder if SBS are quietly happy about this. With GreenEdge coming in and targeting classics, Evans at BMC, Renshaw at Rabo etc there is a range of teams to follow this year. All cyclists with any basic interest would already know of SBS for coverage of the main races and 9 may actually attract some new viewers - like the ones that don't ever watch SBS (there are plenty of them).

Hence SBS's ratings could increase due to a bigger audience base interested. Renshaw is coming to TDU and will be keen to do well, as will GE so there is a good chance of some Aussie success there and hangers on can get to learn a name other than Cadel.

Might just play well into SBS's hands in the medium to longer term.
Scarfy96

Postby jcjordan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:31 pm

It should also be remembered that Ch9 has set themselves up for what could be a real caning. SBS has had the time to build their capability to delivery good cycling coverage in terms of quantity and commentary.
Timing of ad breaks within cycling events is not something that would be easy to plan for or to find the balance; even the TDF guys miss breaks or attacks.
Ch9 will have to get it right first time, as cyclist are a vocal group and tend to have a long memory, it will be very evident if they don’t get it right.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home
jcjordan

Postby Oxford » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:30 pm

well we are talking about a TV network that treats its viewers with absolute contempt. ever bother to try and watch a prime time TV show according to the TV guide? must be why many viewers are now deciding to download/stream their favorites and do away with being treated shabbily. for instance two of my favorite shows are at least one season ahead in the USA over Aus, so I just stream the shows when they are available and I want to watch them, AD FREE. FTA TV networks really need to get the act together as they are going the way of newspapers.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Grog » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:23 pm

I can see it now. TDU coverage interspersed with fast food ads.
Well that'll be fun :roll:
Grog

Postby CommuRider » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:20 pm

Well we had the shocking NRMA ads in our face during this year's TdF. Maybe Maccas will promote their happy meals with Cadel figurines.....
CommuRider

Postby Drunkmonkey » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:25 pm

You guys really think a company like maccas is going to pay for air time during the TDU :lol:
Drunkmonkey

Postby marinmomma » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:36 pm

We'd better hope that there's no cricket matches scheduled during the TDU, no chance that the cycling will be shown over the cricket :shock:
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby CommuRider » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:43 pm

CommuRider

Postby Drunkmonkey » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:46 pm

CommuRider wrote:Image

It will end up cheaper for them to sponsor a team rather than run ads on Channel 9 :wink:
Drunkmonkey

Postby CommuRider » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:49 pm

Duffman says: booh-yeah

i'd like something like an Aussie Vacansoleil sponsor a team. Maybe Jayco. Good tv exposure and encourage all those grey nomads to take up cycling.
CommuRider

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:48 pm

And Holden will make the most 9's commercial saturated coverage to flog as many Commodors as possible. Thats a terriying irony
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Postby Drunkmonkey » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:09 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote: What the hell were the TDU organisers thinking when they decided to strip the coverage rights from SBS and give them to 9?!

The would have have been thinking about their bank account.
Drunkmonkey

Postby timbo » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:29 pm

If anyone is doubting that Channel 9 can do a good job of televising the TDU, have a look at their first days coverage of the Presidents Cup golf.
I only watched it for the last half hour or so, but in that time, they crossed to an ad break when the Geoff Ogilvy/Charl Schwartzel pairing were fighting to stay in the match.
They came back to live play and even the commentators did not know how many shots the pair had played, and no replays, nothing.
The final straw was the final pairing of Baddeley/Jason Day fighting for the win with one hole to play.
It was then that Channel 9 decided to finish the broadcast and give us even more Eddie Maguire and Hot Seat. Thats a bit like ending the TDU coverage for the day just as the peleton received the bell for one lap to go.
Thanks Channel 9. Not.
timbo

Postby zephy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:00 am

^^ I agree totally

why, oh, why would they have Eddie Maguire commentating on the Golf?

bloody hell I hope he has nothing to do with the TDU coverage.... as soon as I see him or hear his voice the TV goes off.... does anyone outside Victoria actually like/enjoy the Maguire?

Just an ol' man, riding an ol' bike.... every hill feels like Alpe d'Heuz....
zephy

Postby Chuck » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:49 pm

zephy wrote:why, oh, why would they have Eddie Maguire commentating on the Golf?

+1 and the nob couldn't help bringing up Collingwood :evil:

The last couple of years that Andrew Voss has called the Cronulla Crit he's been unable to keep the contempt from his voice. 9 don't have anyone on their roster capable of doing the TDU justice.
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:27 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:<Mod Says: Original User Comment inappropriate and removed>

Be very careful. That comment is bordering on being actionable by Nine against you and the owner of this site.
Some days you are a big, strutting rooster, some days you are a bit chicken and some days you are just a complete cocque. Roger Ramjet: 2009 Giant CRX3 Spockette: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 (WSD, property of Mrs Monsoon) Lady Penelope: 2011 Avanti Cadent 1.0 TdF
gorilla monsoon

Postby Drunkmonkey » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:46 am

gorilla monsoon wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:<Mod Says: Original User Comment inappropriate and removed>

Be very careful. That comment is bordering on being actionable by Nine against you and the owner of this site.

Thankfully not all cycling advocates seeking public support carry on like this to try to get their point across :roll:
Drunkmonkey

Next

Return to General discussion