6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

norbs

Re: 6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

Postby norbs » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:47 am

I am back in the brown. Boo. Or poo.

Nice work Flingers.

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:26 pm

sblack wrote:[
I was pretty happy with my ride. My only problem was my rear tyre. Started the day tubeless and all was going well until a bit after 50km when I got a puncture. Stopped and put it to the bottom, seamed to seal so I continued on. Only lasted a few minutes before it opened up again so I stopped and gave it longer to seal this time but it didn't hold again. Decided it was time to put a tube in. Fitted a tube and pumping away for ages thinking this hand pump sucks, taking forever to get any pressure. Sure enough there was a leak where a previous puncture repair had failed .
Sounds like the boys need a pit crew for next year's ride? A friend's daughter went in the half fling 2 years ago and pulled out after a flat. Walked the bike for miles til she was picked up. I thought then, 'What about a pit crew?' if you knew a few riders it wouldn't be as if you were crewing for 1 person. Something to think about.

Graham

sblack

Postby sblack » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:02 pm

celeste boy wrote:Sounds like the boys need a pit crew for next year's ride? A friend's daughter went in the half fling 2 years ago and pulled out after a flat. Walked the bike for miles til she was picked up. I thought then, 'What about a pit crew?' if you knew a few riders it wouldn't be as if you were crewing for 1 person. Something to think about.

Graham
Well, they couldn't get onto most of the course but some people had support crew at the transition area. Not a bad option to have food and beverage supplies ready for the next stage as well as some basic spares and tools and floor pump handy just in case. Actually, if I had a support crew I'd ditch the floor pump and have my scuba tank setup ready to go instead. Definately something worth thinking about for next year.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:17 pm

My tyre problem was due to the fact it was a borrowed wheel with a light weight racing tyre and crappy sealant. If I was running my wheel with stans sealant I would have been fine. The one tube got me through as I was only on dirt for about 10kms after my puncture.

As another note, don't try and blow your tyres up above max psi :oops:

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Mugglechops wrote:My tyre problem was due to the fact it was a borrowed wheel with a light weight racing tyre and crappy sealant. If I was running my wheel with stans sealant I would have been fine. The one tube got me through as I was only on dirt for about 10kms after my puncture.

hey i seen a rim that exploded from over inflating a tyre today after the guy it a bump, the rim just split right on the edge of the braking surface! :|

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:28 pm

breezer1 wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:My tyre problem was due to the fact it was a borrowed wheel with a light weight racing tyre and crappy sealant. If I was running my wheel with stans sealant I would have been fine. The one tube got me through as I was only on dirt for about 10kms after my puncture.

hey i seen a rim that exploded from over inflating a tyre today after the guy it a bump, the rim just split right on the edge of the braking surface! :|

Damn, did he hurt himself? Mine was from trying to get a tyre to bead. So just a loud bang and stans sealant every where.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Finally back in front of target after months being behind!
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:31 pm

Well done ozdavo.

I'm trying to work out what to do for my BMC 79 mile ride this weekend. So far I know that I'll be heading off around 7ish on Sunday morning. Any of the Illawarra/Shoalhaven/Southern Highlanders out for a ride then? The required distance could easily take me into any of those districts

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:46 pm

sblack wrote:Well done ozdavo.

I'm trying to work out what to do for my BMC 79 mile ride this weekend. So far I know that I'll be heading off around 7ish on Sunday morning. Any of the Illawarra/Shoalhaven/Southern Highlanders out for a ride then? The required distance could easily take me into any of those districts
I will be tagging along for Norb's ride on the Saturday.

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:26 am

BLC and I are doing the Coastal 200 on Sunday to kick off our YRR. We'll be leaving Dapto at 6ish, first loop up to Otford then back through to Kiama via Jamberoo.

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:23 am

grantw wrote:

BLC and I are doing the Coastal 200 on Sunday to kick off our YRR. We'll be leaving Dapto at 6ish, first loop up to Otford then back through to Kiama via Jamberoo.
YRR?

sblack

Postby sblack » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:04 am

grantw wrote:BLC and I are doing the Coastal 200 on Sunday to kick off our YRR. We'll be leaving Dapto at 6ish, first loop up to Otford then back through to Kiama via Jamberoo.
I can't leave that early and don't have time for a 200 but I might head up to Keira and ride to the lookout for the first time to knock one of the climbs off my list then head back down to your route and see if I can join you for some of your ride. Best of luck with the YRR.

norbs, the YRR is the Year Round Randonneur, it requires an Audax ride of 200km or more every month from November through to the following October.

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:00 pm

sblack wrote:norbs, the YRR is the Year Round Randonneur, it requires an Audax ride of 200km or more every month from November through to the following October.

Holy snapping ducks testicles! :shock:

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:36 pm

sblack wrote:
grantw wrote:BLC and I are doing the Coastal 200 on Sunday to kick off our YRR. We'll be leaving Dapto at 6ish, first loop up to Otford then back through to Kiama via Jamberoo.
I can't leave that early and don't have time for a 200 but I might head up to Keira and ride to the lookout for the first time to knock one of the climbs off my list then head back down to your route and see if I can join you for some of your ride. Best of luck with the YRR.

norbs, the YRR is the Year Round Randonneur, it requires an Audax ride of 200km or more every month from November through to the following October.
Cheers Shane,

Yep, 12 x 200 or longer rides. The further you get through the year, the more anxious you become about not getting the ride in.

You're welcome to join at any time, we should be passing through town again around 9.30am. Mt Keira road is closed above the archery range at the moment so may have go up Kembla and link along Harry Grahame Dr to get to the lookout.

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Mens Shed Ride

For weeks now the 'boys' at the mens Shed have been threatening to do a real ride. Today it happened. 40+kms, Bowral, Centennial Rd, Berrima, Moss Vale, Bike Track, Kirkham Rd and then back to Boolwey St. Some of the guys had never been out on the road before so for them it was a real experience. Some of the hills were 'Strava segments' so it was challenging in that dept too.

Ride is here: http://app.strava.com/activities/27830023

This riding came about after a rep from Diabetes Australia gave a talk and some realised which way they were heading with their diet and (lack of) exercise. So we have retirees and semi-retirees (one is 82) who ride together twice each week.

Graham

sblack

Postby sblack » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:30 am

grantw wrote:Mt Keira road is closed above the archery range at the moment so may have go up Kembla and link along Harry Grahame Dr to get to the lookout.
Forgot that was happening, I'll have to have a rethink as to my plans now as I really wanted to cross one of my list. Most of the ones left on the list are down south though so not so compatable with crossing your path.

celeste boy, nice work on the Men's Shed ride, good to see something like that happening. Decent ride for the new riders in the group.

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Didn't ride today, but I took some new photos of my noble steed.

My Bike by norbography, on Flickr

Thanks Dave by norbography, on Flickr

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:36 pm

Nice shots Norbs.

Did something I haven't done for a long time last night. Rode my bike in normal clothes, t-shirt, shorts and joggers. Was quite fun!

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:37 pm

Great photos Norbs. Glad to see you're making good use of my wheels. Wishing I could be there for the ride tomorrow, have a good one!

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:19 pm

I did the 79 mile thing today and ended up here at the halfway point:

[img]http://i1177.photobucket.com/album ... .jpg[/img]

For locals, there is also a turnoff here (not shown on sign) to Canyonleigh. That road is mostly dirt unfortunately.

For the trivia freaks, Brayton once had a larger population and was called 'Longreach'. There is a guy buried here who umpired the Christmas day cricket match and did not duck in time.
Weather drizzled for most of the day and had a crosswind which was useful on the rare occasion.
No picture of the Tallong bridge for Shane unfortunately.

Good luck for the others doing the 79 on the weekend.

Graham

sblack

Postby sblack » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:45 pm

Great use of the conditions norbs, those shots look great.

Well done on the 79 miles celeste boy, good luck to all the others hitting up the challenge over the weekend. I'm still unsure about mine, going to play it by ear and see just what time I get to head off and what conditions are like to make my call on where to go.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:57 pm

I have 2 mates doing the 79mile challenge today by riding around Cabbage Tree MTB track in Nowra. They started around 1pm. I hope they have finished by now.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Nice one Norbs, great feeling and movement 8)

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:11 pm

My wife has started feeling sorry for me so is going to make a request at her AGM on Tuesday....

If all goes well I will be back to commuting to work from Wednesday 8) :mrgreen:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:40 pm

bosvit wrote:My wife has started feeling sorry for me so is going to make a request at her AGM on Tuesday....

If all goes well I will be back to commuting to work from Wednesday 8) :mrgreen:
You're still in the green Bosvit!
Lisa