6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

oldnewby

Re: 6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

Postby oldnewby » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:48 am

well done J Tim! I'm almost there... 21km before work this morning takes me to about 5976km for the year.
Hoping I get another ride in before work tomorrow morning and I'll knock off 6k.
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:00 am

Well done tim and Oldnewby... Cool to see so many targets getting knocked off.

Looks like the fix worked for the tracker bar. The red triangle has resumed it's relentless march!

grt046

Postby grt046 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:02 am

:D Yahoo I have a yellow bar.

Achieved target on a 71 km ride this morning. Couldn't wait until tomorrow so manually refreshed the bar .... impatient I know 8)
Rather pleased after failing to meet target in 2010 and 2011.

Congratulations to the others who have achieved or are nearing target.

Cheers
Graeme
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:43 pm

grt046 wrote::D Yahoo I have a yellow bar.

Achieved target on a 71 km ride this morning. Couldn't wait until tomorrow so manually refreshed the bar .... impatient I know 8)
Rather pleased after failing to meet target in 2010 and 2011.

Congratulations to the others who have achieved or are nearing target.

Cheers
Graeme
Good on you Graeme :) Congratulations!

Thanks also to whoever helped get the green bar working again!
Last edited by lovemybike on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:34 pm

oldnewby wrote:well done J Tim! I'm almost there... 21km before work this morning takes me to about 5976km for the year.
Hoping I get another ride in before work tomorrow morning and I'll knock off 6k.
Better get on that bike in the morning Oldnewby, I'm right behind you 5949km :)

Nice work J-Tim!

Looking for a 50km ride in Melb on Sat AM, anyone have any suggestions? i was thinking Kinglake before it gets too warm but never been up there. Staying on Heidelberg side of town.

LoveMyBike-go for it Julie, you are getting pretty close!
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:52 pm

Well done guys, I should be done early next week if the plan holds together and I don't break into a million crying pieces on Jamberoo Mountain during the saturday sufferfest.

@lovemybike you're nearly there - only have to ride for an hour and a bit per day. Chuck in some longer weekend jaunts and it's done before the Turkey gets it.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Congrats on those who have got their goal!

Now to start thinking about the new year.... :roll:
Lisa

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:42 am

well done grt046, another 6k target bites the dust!
coffeeandwine wrote:Better get on that bike in the morning Oldnewby, I'm right behind you 5949km
C&w, I did get on the bike this morning, 28km gives me 6004.. woohoo! I've seen on bikejournal you and I have been pretty close the last few weeks.
I can recommend Kinglake as a great ride, but not sure if you'd get the best of it in 50km. The couple of times I've done it, I've started at Whittlesea, and the most practical route/loop seems about 70km. I'm sure there's places you can start & finish that will get around 50km - I just haven't done it. Either way, your 6k will be done soon enough by the sounds of it!

Well done again everyone, keep knocking off those targets!
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:26 am

marinmomma wrote:Congrats on those who have got their goal!

Natural progression to the 10k club surely.

A couple of cameo appearances in the 6k and the world is a happy place :-)

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:39 am

bosvit wrote:

I'm still thinking about this year Lisa! Only 560 to go...

Not sure about a natural progression to the 10k club Brett - my unnatural progression to 6k means I'm going to cancel Christmas this year and ride around the block instead :wink:

(AT) C&W and GW - did my hour and a bit this morning - getting closer :)

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:35 pm

Good one Julie!

Had an email from strava this morning telling me about the rapha festive 500 challenge, - 500km between the 24 and 31 december. You get a patch if you complete it too. How's that for motivation? I love patches.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:41 pm

Got out for 61kms on the fixie this morning. After 10 days of working from 11pm to 5am it was good to be back on the bike.

Suprised myself with a 26kmh avg. It was flat as a tack though.

And I copied norbs' Gopro mounting trick.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:15 pm

That's one hell of a ride on the fixie Lewy, well done. Good to catch up for coffee too.

Norbs and I did 66 down there today.

http://app.strava.com/activities/31271137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Hope your neck is better Dave.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Hope your neck is better Dave.
Still sore but the Hoegaarden is helping now.

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:55 pm

DaveOZ wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:Hope your neck is better Dave.
Still sore but the Hoegaarden is helping now.
Beer cures most ills

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:52 pm

lovemybike wrote:
bosvit wrote:

Not sure about a natural progression to the 10k club Brett - my unnatural progression to 6k means I'm going to cancel Christmas this year and ride around the block instead :wink:

Now that sounds like an awesome Christmas present :wink:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:45 pm

bosvit wrote:

That's is looking likely, will need to upp the commutes and hope that the weather plays along!

I'm starting to get into racing which impacts on the amount of k's that I can do on the weekend, especially on race day :roll:
Lisa

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:49 pm

lovemybike wrote:

You can do it Julie...you got there in the dying days of 2011!

I rode on Christmas Day last year.... a 96k ride back home from the coast in the middle of the day...it's actually a great day to ride, the roads are so quite!

We're planning on doing a early morning Turbo Tuesday this year...a quick 40 spin around the river!
Our kids are all adults now and will sleep in...yay!
Lisa

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:08 pm

The video from today. I left one angle out :(

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0aAn6q ... iSS9TpUQ_A[/youtube]

sblack

Postby sblack » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:30 am

Some good riding going on and good to see so many people reaching their goal for the year. Julie, I'm sure you can get there, it's less than 25km per day on average for the rest of the month. Get in some 50+ rides and you can even earn some days off.

Norbs, my rear hub might give your noisiest bike claim a bit of a challenge. It sounds like a learner driver trying to change gears on a truck with the way it clunks sometimes.

Haven't had much of a change to continue my ride report this week. When I last left it we where sitting in the heat of the day enjoying some cold water and other iced beverages at a nice little cafe in Berrima. Heading back out of Berrima I'd heard we'd encounter our last major challenge in terms of climbs for the day, Bendooley Hill As we headed out of Berrima and we started climbing I asked Mark if this was it? "No, this is just the teaser" was his reply. After the climb we where on was a bit of a descent and then the sign indicating Bendooley Hill. To be honest I wasn't finding it much different to he hill we'd just gone over and checking strava both where a bit over a kilometre at over 5%. Despite this the group started splitting up again on Bendooley Hill with Mark getting away off the front again. When a KOM 500m mark came up on the road I decided it was time to see what the legs had left in them and decided to see how much I could catch back up before the top. So while Mark kept rolling along at his cruising speed I was pushing hard to real him back in. It seamed like such a long 500m as the legs protested but the gap was closing. I just managed to pull him in before the top and then after rolling over the crest it was time for the reward of the climb. The downhill run followed by a nice flattish section felt great as I was able to hold some decent speed for a while. It was my first and only change to let Mark have a bit of a rest in my draft for a while as I pushed to keep the speed for as long as I could.

It was a set of lights coming into Mittagong that would end my run and while we waited Paul caught up with us as well so the three of us road through Mittagong and headed towards Bowral. The only thing was, whoever told us Bendooley Hill was the last of the challenging climbs obviously forgot the one between Mittagong and Bowral. On average not quite as steep but around twice as long it was a test for tired legs. Mark was off in front again, happily cruising away at what seamed like double the speed I was struggling up at while Paul struggled on battling some cramping on the way up. After the climb it was a downhill run into Bowral and a final stop to top up fluids with Bowral being the last place to do so for a bit over 40km. So the group once again rejoined at a servo in Bowral before heading off on the final leg as a group again. With legs getting more tired and a few riders now already onto most likely their toughest ride to date the smaller undulations where already starting to split the group. Turning onto the Tourist Rd we would do our final regroup before starting another climb. I rode the climb with Ben and Grant while the others would all pick up the pace and disappear out in front. After the climb the Tourist Rd starts heading mostly downhill for a while and enters nice bushland settings. It was quite a pleasant cruise through there and along the way we would pick up Harvey. There was one final climb out at the end of the Tourist Rd and then it was back into familiar territory as we reached Macquarie Pass. Now it was Grant's turn to start pulling away as the gaps between riders started opening up on the way down. Not far down though and we encountered the truck stuck on the hairpin turn, thankfully we could walk our bikes under the edge of the trailer to enjoy a traffic free run to the bottom.

At the bottom of the pass is an undulating descent back to Albion Park and after a few undulations I managed to catch back up to Grant and join him for the run into Albion Park.Then as I passed home to continue onto Dapto I was back on the most familiar part of the ride. It's like my legs have a memory for how to ride this section which is part of my morning commute and all the tiredness from the day fades away as they set their regular rhythm and set me up for the final run back to Dapto. Back at Dapto and it's time to give the Brevet Card it's final stamp and hand it back to Grant before saying goodbye to the others and start cruising back to home just in time to beat the setting sun. So ended a tough but thoroughly enjoyable day on the bike. My first Brevet for the Audax year was now completed and along with it my first goal for December. Now my next target is the 6000m of climbing to complete my primary goal of 6000+ every month for the year. As I type there's 1876m to go.

norbs

Postby norbs » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:59 am

DaveOZ wrote:That's one hell of a ride on the fixie Lewy, well done. Good to catch up for coffee too.

Norbs and I did 66 down there today.

http://app.strava.com/activities/31271137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Dave. Hope the head holder upper is better.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:41 am

Low life car thieves

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:31 pm

Nice report Shane, I was dying to know how it finished :wink: .

And that looks like someones pride and joy Mugglechops - I don't get why they have to wreck other peoples stuff.

Had a great ride this morning, headed up Jamberoo Mountain Road for the first time and found it quite enjoyable. Cool early conditions made for easier climbing though the first few kms are quite something. Saw a heap of Lyre Birds and various Parrots along the way. I made the mistake of stopping at Barren Grounds to wait for my ride partner who was coming along behind me, not knowing that the climb carries on for a bit further. Oh well, I'll have a huge improvement in time next time I do it.

Stopped for a Pie in Robbo then scooted down the pass and headed back home via Marshall Mt for a neat 100km and just shy of 1400m climbing.

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:40 pm

I was just about to ask how you went Grant - sounds like a good ride :-).

102 kms for me this morning - getting closer! It was also my December 100km ride so I was glad to have finished that. My ride report is short: it was hot but I very happy! Have a good ride everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk