6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

grt046

Re: 6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

Postby grt046 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:29 pm

grantw wrote:Yes looks like a table's gone bad somewhere. Can anyone point me to the instructions for the strava bar (as opposed to the veloviwer)?
Try this: http://statmonkey.is-a-geek.net/cycling/login/auth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

norbs

Postby norbs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:14 pm

Inspired by Tom Olesnevich ( http://blog.tomolesnevich.com/personal- ... yc-by-bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) I bolted the gopro to a new spot on the bike today .

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:01 pm

Awesome thanks grt046.

Better than the angle on your last video Norbs 8)

norbs

Postby norbs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:19 pm

grantw wrote:Awesome thanks grt046.

Better than the angle on your last video Norbs 8)

Nothing wrong with PlumCam™ :)

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:03 pm

A belated End of Month report for Movember

A very slow month on the bike: 231km (YTD 5867km)
2044m climbed (YTD 48925m).

I had hoped to knock over the 6K mark by end of Nov but it has been a hectic last few weeks in other areas. Hoping it settles a bit now.

Nice work DaveOz! and great efforts to so many others who have clocked up a huge number of km (started trying to list people and it was getting far too long).
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:30 pm

grt046 wrote:
grantw wrote:Yes looks like a table's gone bad somewhere. Can anyone point me to the instructions for the strava bar (as opposed to the veloviwer)?
Try this: http://statmonkey.is-a-geek.net/cycling/login/auth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for that...if the bike journal one isn't going to work ill change my Strava one to reflect my increased goal of 9000
Lisa

norbs

Postby norbs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:53 pm

The video from today.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_WjD6drS3I&hd=1[/youtube]

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:58 pm

Got some footage or just stills so far norbs? Would be a sweet location to get some nice descents with, maybe take it for a run down Cambewarra.
edit: looks like you answered that one while I was typing this up

Getting back to Saturday and Fitzroy Falls saw some different strategies for the day begin to unfold. A few riders taking a fairly short break and heading off for an extra break down the road in Bundanoon at Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe. A few more stayed a little longer having a coffee break and then there was me with my big breakfast. The end result was by the time I'd finished up I was ready to leave at the same time as Mark, Terry and Paul after they'd enjoyed their coffees. Mark was certainly the strongest rider on the day and set the pace while we hung on his wheel. Grant had mentioned some hills on the way to our next checkpoint at Wingello, nothing major but enough to feel. Small as they where I wasn't up to climbing them at Mark's pace and soon found myself dropping off the back on a climb. Once of the back, and left to face the conditions myself, I noticed how much the wind had picked up and Mark's flat terrain pace was now too much to keep up with as well so I watched as the other three disappeared in front of me as I was left to face the next section on my own. Things didn't add up the best for me in this bit. As the trees opened up, so did the clouds so the temperature was rising again, I was facing a headwind and my body was still trying to digest the massive meal I'd just eaten. I was really struggling in the undulating terrain and doing my best to keep the fluids up while my stomach was telling me it didn't need anything else in it. I reasoned with myself that even though I was struggling at the time all I had to do was keep pushing on at the pace I was maintaining and I'd still catch up to the others as they had their longer food break later on in the ride. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to need to much more than my gels and small top ups at the next two checkpoints to keep me going.

After a stretch of unfamiliar road I was turning towards Exeter and Bundanoon. The wind no longer in my face progress got a little easier and the more familiar roads presented themselves again. In this case the familiarity was a bonus as I knew the elevation to Wingello trended downwards a little which helped lift the spirits as it made the next rest point that bit easier to get to. Passing through Robertson I noticed a few familiar bikes as I passed Ye Olde Bicycle Shoppe and not long after I got a call from Grant checking how I was and letting me know they'd stopped there. I told him I was still digesting breakfast so didn't need to stop there and was on my way to Wingello. Arriving at Wingello I grabbed a coke and refilled water bottles and sat down to have a bit of a rest and wait for those I'd passed in Bundanoon to catch back up. What I didn't realise was that Grant had said they'd all stopped there and after about 3/4 of a 600mL coke they rode in together as a group. We where just under halfway through the ride and the whole group was now back together.

A short break at the Wingello checkpoint for the others and we where all ready to head off together again. The break and time to digest my food had done wonders and I was feeling great again as we headed across towards the highway. Turning onto the highway and I moved over to make sure there was plenty of room for Grant, heading over to what looked like a heap of small scatter twigs. Riding into the middle of it all I realised it was actually hundreds of rusty nails! Somehow I came out the other end of them without any of them finding their way into the tyre. By now things where really heating up and not long onto the highway there is a climb that goes for a couple of kilometres that really got the sweat pouring. By now I was revelling in the transformation in my feeling compared to the last section of the ride and really enjoying the ride and even the climb in the heat. Made me feel a lot better about January's Alpine Classic as struggling in the not as hot temperature earlier in the ride did have me questioning how I'd be trying to ride up the Alpine climbs in the heat of summer.

After the climb was a nice downhill and some lightly undulating terrain combined with a predominantly tail wind. Then the road surface turned smoother and things where humming along nicely. I found myself off the front with Mark and Paul and making some good pace towards the next checkpoint, the namesake of the ride, at Berrima. Turning off the highway the road wasn't as smooth, things where sheltered from the wind a bit more and the hottest part of the day lined up with the final climb before the stop. As the temperature reached 41 on the Garmin the chip seal made popping noises as our tyres rolled over it. Still I was feeling good and coming into Berrima for a stop an iced chocolate and cool water went down wonderfully along with a caramel slice. Things weren't going quite as smoothly for those behind though as we became aware of flat tyres, dodgy tubes and a wrong turnoff that would delay the arrival of the rest of the group....

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:27 pm

Thanks to a heads up from Grant I've fixed a name in my posts about Saturday. Seams I somehow associated one of the names in an email with the wrong rider :oops: , should all be fixed up now though.

lovemybike

Postby lovemybike » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:48 pm

Thanks Shane and Coffee&Wine and Lisa! :) I'm riding but the green bar isn't moving!

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:01 am

Well I just clocked up 20,000KM on my bike which is 3 years and 4 months old. Pretty happy with that effort. Likely to be about 1.5 years before I see that first digit change to a 3 on my speedo.

No problems with the bikejournal progress bar here, wonder what the issue is?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:11 am

Julie, don't worry about the bar, I'm sure you know where you're at and what's still required to get to your goal. Hopefully by the time you get there the issues will be fixed and you get to see the bar fill up.

DavidS, that's some impressive kilometres for one bike. How much has it changed over that time?

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:42 am

Bike hasn't changed much at all really. The original wheels were changed under warranty but that was at least 15,000KM ago. I am thinking of new wheels but not sure (I weigh 100KG and carry a bag of clothes every day so I need strong wheels). Replaced the original CRX saddle when it wore out and now have a Brooks. Put mudguards on, replaced the crappy bell with a Crane bell. The usual consumables such as tyres, chains and cassettes have been replaced a few times. The deraileur is a bit sticky at present so I need to replace the inner and outer cables over Christmas. I am thinking of replacing the V brakes with better V brakes. But, overall, the bike is pretty much as it came and still looks fairly new. Worst issue really is a scrape on the forks which comes from parking it in one of those bike hangers which we have at work.

Just looking at the progress bar it does not seem to have updated at 12.05 as usual tonight. Maybe there is a problem. I haven't had a problem until tonight though (maybe I'm not accounting for daylight saving time though).

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:31 am

norbs wrote:The video from today.[/youtube]
Kudos for making sure you posted the bit where you're in the big ring. :wink:

norbs

Postby norbs » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:26 am

DaveOZ wrote:
norbs wrote:The video from today.[/youtube]
Kudos for making sure you posted the bit where you're in the big ring. :wink:
You know I sweat pure testosterone these days Dave. ;)

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:31 am

grantw wrote:Ahh the memories. Can't wait to relive the freeway in the sun.

Seems that the bikejournal progress bar has stalled. Anyone know why? Thinking I might jump ship to the strava one.
I've just had a look at that - user Wal42 has a total of 33,523km. The list on the club page uses CInt data type to display the values, which is a 16-bit data type (max 65536 values, but allows for -32767 to 32767). Hence the runtime error when displaying Wal42's total.

I'll email bike journal and see what can be done... Once that displays correctly the bar should in theory continue it's merry march.

Oh, I have no *actual* knowledge of how Bike Journal or the status bar thingy work - this is just guesswork from my dark days as a web programmer :roll:

Cheers,
Dave

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:04 am

Cheers Dave!

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:57 am

Ozkaban wrote:

Seems that the bikejournal progress bar has stalled. Anyone know why? Thinking I might jump ship to the strava one.
I've just had a look at that - user Wal42 has a total of 33,523km. The list on the club page uses CInt data type to display the values, which is a 16-bit data type (max 65536 values, but allows for -32767 to 32767). Hence the runtime error when displaying Wal42's total.

I'll email bike journal and see what can be done... Once that displays correctly the bar should in theory continue it's merry march.

Oh, I have no *actual* knowledge of how Bike Journal or the status bar thingy work - this is just guesswork from my dark days as a web programmer :roll:

Cheers,
Dave
They are the correct kilometers for Wal, this year, just in case you thought is was an error.TimW

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:30 pm

TimW wrote:
Ozkaban wrote:

Cheers,
Dave
They are the correct kilometers for Wal, this year, just in case you thought is was an error.TimW
That's pretty close to 100 km per day, every day - doesn't sound much if you say it quick :shock:

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:16 pm

TimW wrote: They are the correct kilometers for Wal, this year, just in case you thought is was an error.TimW
I was impressed when I first saw it, but his target is 35,000km so I figured it was accurate.

I've already had a response back from Bike Journal and they've fixed it. Can't say fairer than that!

Hope the tracker works when it runs tonight. I guess we'll know tomorrow morning.

Cheers,
Dave

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:01 pm

Crossed 6000km mark today, one month ahead of the schedule. Never thought I'd be able to get to this point!

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:13 pm

norbs wrote:The video from today.

norbs the vid clip doesn't do your bike noises much justice, on the down stroke it has a real clicking sound, but road noise and bike noise are hard to clarify!

lovin your video clips and pics with the full details of your rides though! 8)

norbs

Postby norbs » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:23 pm

breezer1 wrote:
norbs wrote:The video from today.

norbs the vid clip doesn't do your bike noises much justice, on the down stroke it has a real clicking sound, but road noise and bike noise are hard to clarify!

lovin your video clips and pics with the full details of your rides though! 8)

Just ask Dave and lewy who has the worlds noisiest bike. :) Also, the best looking. Loud and Proud!

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Did the new BB fix the noise?

norbs

Postby norbs » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:11 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Did the new BB fix the noise?
Not completely. A lot of the noise from the video is from my heel just clipping the edge of the camera housing. The noise is a lot better, just not gone completely.