6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

Ozkaban

Re: 6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:30 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Yay - I just logged my last six days riding and I have made target.

It's 23 km to spare.

Because I did 17km this mornig, it had to have been back yesterday. I was out and about with a young unicyclist touring the CBD, riverside drive, Norhtbridge, Vincent, etc.

Perhaps I may feel differently later on, but atm I have no desire to set fresh targets. I don't think that they do much to motivate me any more than I already am and I perhaps I should be focussing more on skills work anyway.

Anyway, it'll be nice to see that signature bar later when it is refreshed. I'll probably let my vanity run wild and post a "look at what I did" comment on my FB page tonight.

in the mean time :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Awesome effort Colin!

I'm about 1000km behind you, but then I do have an extra wheel to drag around 8)

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:11 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Beautiful bike Grant. I used to hang around Frank Paino's shop in Miranda when I was a kid 30 years ago. I remember riding my Bennet BSO up there and drooling at bikes like that through the window. Vey sweet.
Cheers David,

I still have to tidy it up, replace the bar tape, find some affordable hoods for the levers and a new saddle, so it looks a little down at heel at the moment, though it rolls better than my Roubaix. When out this morning I caught up with a guy on a high end Giant with Di2 and bazillion dollar wheels at a set of lights. He gives me a look and then double takes "Wow a Paino!" says he, and we conversed a ways - seems he used to hang out at the shop too.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:28 pm

marinmomma wrote:My new ride, just a quick shot not properly set up yet.... No time for a ride for a couple of days.

Frondriest TF2

WOW looks fast just sitting there.. Congratulations.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:26 pm

Well done on the 6k Colin.

I took the 29er for a detour on the way home yesterday arvo. Initially went into Blackbutt for some singletrack but wasn't feeling on top of it. Decided rather than risk making a silly mistake and landing on a rock or tree or whatever it would be better to go explore some new area that I'd heard from strava was a nice change from the technical aspect of Blackbutt. Didn't really know where I was going, just that there was somewhere to ride between the quarry and Kilalea State Park, a popular surf beach, known as 'the farm'. As well as around the Bass Point area.

So I headed to the southern end of Shellharbour to where there is a roughish shared path that links to Shell Cove. I was a street or two over from the path when I noticed a runner coming out of another area so decided to check it out. There was an open access that looked like it was for bikes and pedestrians and the only signage being for those coming out of the area pointing the way to the beach. I guess this would either take me out towards Bass Point or Shell Cove so I headed onto the mixed dirt and gravel roads, checking out the area. From what I could gather it was the area for the further expansion of Shell Cove towards the future marina but currently no way through to Bass Point so I headed out into the suburban streets of Shell Cove.

Shell Cove is a fairly new suburb with some nice parks that have shared paths running through them and I quickly found myself rolling along one before coming to a sign for Kilalea. Following the path I came to a footbridge over the quarry road. All good except it had one of those gates designed to keep motorbikes out and it was a real test working out how to get the 29er onto the bridge. Ended up having to lift it up and half over the fencing to let the gate swing past before I could get it back down and head over the bridge. On the other side I was presented with a fine gravel trail winding through the trees and a possible single track off to the left. I decided to stick to the trail for now and found it flowing nicely downhill and then out to some grass lands and a lagoon. The lagoon has plenty of bird life with swans, ducks and waterhens aplenty although the quickly retreated the the far side of the lagoon as I approached. With the main bit of downhill done the grass was hard going and I decided to stick more to the wheel tracks of where whatever vehicles have access to this area obviously travel.

The going was much easier and faster that way and I was cruising along nicely, thinking just how nice and remote this area seamed for such a short trip from the suburbs when I came across this:

From there I continued on and soon found one of the vehicles responsible for the tracks. A surf school van was parked at the end of the tracks and just past it I was out to the beach.
Image.

A bit more exploring of the area found plenty of ups and downs to test out the legs but nothing particulary technical which suited me well for the day. Managed to miss the turn for the trail I'd come in on and found the singletrack instead. Nothing too difficult in it either as it took me back to the bridge to follow the shared path back out of Shell Cove and back onto the road to head home, with a slight detour through the Croome Sporting Complex singletrack along the way.

Nice having daylight savings giving me enough light to enjoy some of the local area a bit more on the way home.

norbs

Postby norbs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Finally rolled past 8000kms for the year this morning. Next, 9000kms.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:22 pm

Ticked over the 6,000 yesterday, sitting at 6,011 after a 110k ride. :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Being on Holidays is great. Beautiful day, and a nice long steady ride through the countryside and along the coast.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:32 pm

sblack wrote:...I took the 29er for a [url=http://app.strava.com/rides/25089353]detour on the way...

...rea a bit more on the way home.
I am assuming that you are an off-road rider. I ride a basic square-taper cranked job that would not last too long under rugged conditions. (I have had to replace one crank. And I actually managed to fracture the axle shaft two years ago which has got to be pretty rare.)

However I will be heading down to a bush camp area at months end where I do like to ride as far as possible around the camping areas. In particular tackling exposed roots along with lumpy water-ravaged clay and gravel and it does give me a buzz that I mostly manage to ride to my limit without breaking either my Nimbus or myself.

If you have the young bones and a tough enough unicycle then keep on enjoying it. 8)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:09 am

norbs wrote:Finally rolled past 8000kms for the year this morning. Next, 9000kms.
Great work mate, Happy Days to ya :)
Happy Days

sblack

Postby sblack » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:39 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I am assuming that you are an off-road rider. I ride a basic square-taper cranked job that would not last too long under rugged conditions. (I have had to replace one crank. And I actually managed to fracture the axle shaft two years ago which has got to be pretty rare.)

However I will be heading down to a bush camp area at months end where I do like to ride as far as possible around the camping areas. In particular tackling exposed roots along with lumpy water-ravaged clay and gravel and it does give me a buzz that I mostly manage to ride to my limit without breaking either my Nimbus or myself.

If you have the young bones and a tough enough unicycle then keep on enjoying it. 8)
I'm an occaisional off-roader. The 29er was bought with the primary role as a towing bike to pull my son along but has been enjoying increasing use in it's off road capability. Planning a longer one tomorrow since I have an RDO. Any Illawarra/Southern Highlanders interested I'm hoping to go do the Wingello section (Shimano stage) of the Highland Fling. Should give me a better idea of what to expect next month.

The organisers also do the 3 Ring Circus at Wingello in winter and that has a category for unicycles (with discounted entry) so if you feel like a trip over to the East Coast one winter there's a ride for you Colin.

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:28 pm

sblack wrote:[ Planning a longer one tomorrow since I have an RDO. Any Illawarra/Southern Highlanders interested I'm hoping to go do the Wingello section (Shimano stage) of the Highland Fling. Should give me a better idea of what to expect next month.

Shane, if you are in the area early we are meeting at the coffee shop outside Woolies in Mittagong at 7:45 am- the school is having Ride To Work day (on a different day) and Craig McGee will be speaking to the kids.
Some poseurs will be on their fixies but you come as you are- you probably have a cardigan in the boot?

Later on in the day we are riding the length of Wombeyan Caves Road 22km and back- well the bitumen bit anyway. Start at 4:00pm. Road bikes of course. Leave stuff at my place if you are worried about it getting knocked off.

Graham

sblack

Postby sblack » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks for the offers Graham but I really want to get to Wingello and do some of the course as preparation for the Fling so I'm planning on getting there at around 7:30 so that counts out the morning ride. I also need to get home before 5 to get the kids to Little As so that counts out the arvo one.

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:57 pm

Well you've missed the Wombeyan Caves Road ride with at least 1 dead wombat/ kilometre and the fresh ones are really great if you have had a bit to eat before the ride.
You can be lucky and see the two wedge tailed eagles that live out there. When you ride past they look as if they are working out your body weight. I'm over 90kg so they leave me alone but you light fellas should be worried. They are pretty scarey up close.

The morning ride- well you probably don't own a cardigan anyway.

Graham

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:12 pm

sblack wrote: Any Illawarra/Southern Highlanders interested I'm hoping to go do the Wingello section (Shimano stage) of the Highland Fling.
Very tempting Shane, but my MTB needs a thorough going over before I take it out for a longish ride, well any ride actually.

sblack

Postby sblack » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:15 am

Got out for my Wingello ride a little later than planned but an 8:30 start should still have given me enough time to get the 50ish km loop in, just with lunch a bit later. I'd managed to find a strava segement of the stage and uploaded it to the Garmin so that I hopefully wouldn't need the trail map that was in my backpack just in case. So I parked just down the road from the station, had a bacon and egg roll then loaded up the course and headed off. Before long I was travelling down the dirt road into Wingello State Forest with the Garmin giving me a reasonable idea of where I was heading. I had noted on the map that in a couple of places there where a few turns close together but generally they got me to the same place as long as I headed back towards where the Garmin said the course was.

That was all working fine as I had a small detour on the way in but soon found myself heading along the marked red trail which I was to mostly follow for the first half of my lap.

Having elected this ride over Graham's offers I was informed I'd miss out on the dead wombats and wedge-tailed eagles today. Well, there where no dead wombats to be seen but some holes around the place looked suspiciously like homes for some live ones. No eagles either but there was plenty of other bird life around, including a massive black cockatoo that was big enough to be an eagle as well as several lyre birds around early in the day. The lyre birds in here are a bit different to the ones encountered when out riding on the road. Instead of disappearing into the bush when they become aware of your presence these ones seamed to have a habit of either running across your path or running along the trail in front of you.

One of the detours off the red loop appears on the map to be a shortcut. I wondered why early on the course does an extension to then take a short cut a bit later when surely it would have been simpler to just follow the red loop. The answer was a section called The Wall. This is on the shortcut and is the only part of the course I was unable to successfully ride. As the name implies it's a steep climb with a sign issuing the challenge "The Wall. Will you ride it?". Well, I tried but it beat me. As I started up the climb it didn't take long before the rear lost traction, slide a little sideways and I'd lost all momentum. With it being too steep to start up again I walked a little further to a water bar and had another go at continuing to the top. More weight over the rear this time. Too much though as the front started popping off the ground and I wasn't quick enough to adjust and get the balance right and I again found myself stopped part way and having to get off and walk. Have to see if I can do any better next time.

After that detour it was back on the red loop again for a while, as it takes fire trails to join sections of single track together. One thing I was hoping to get out of the ride was a reasonable idea of trail conditions to have a better idea of what to do about tyres and pressure. I was seeing plenty of hard packed surface which suited fast rolling tyres and high pressure but then there where sections of looser stuff. Rocky descents, sections of fire trail covered in leaf litter and sticks with only a single track line being clear and other areas of sand. However, the further I road the more I was convinced that the ideal for the day would be to run as higher pressure as I was confident of making it through the looser sections with. With my lack of skills that would mean significantly less pressure than I'm sure many others will get through with.

It was an enjoyable ride continuing along the red loop until I finally reached the point where I would turn left instead of right to head off on the second half of the lap. It was a short section of unmarked trail before I would follow the yellow loop for a little, taking a couple of detours and then heading back off onto the unmarked trail. I came to the first arrow of the yellow loop fairly soon but the Garmin was telling me I needed to be going down a closed road instead. Not to worry, I'll follow the yellow for a bit and should see the course again soon enough, or so I thought. The distance to the course was getting larger and there where no turns to head me back in the right direction, or so I thought. As the distance to course on the Garmin kept growing I eventually came to the point where it was time to stop and look at the map. Not many of the trails where named on the map but I'd come to an intersection of the yellow and blue loops so looking at the directions the tracks ran there was only one point on the map that fit. By the map, following the yellow would have me back at the trail head fairly soon so I figured I'd go back there for a quick break before working out how to get back to the second part of the lap to check it out.

As I followed the yellow markers things weren't making sense. I was approaching and then crossed my course from earlier and then was heading in the wrong direction. It was time to bring out the phone and have a look where I actually was. I was close to the trail head but the arrows where sending me a longer way. I instead noted the turns from the phone then headed back and was soon at the trail head. After my break I was about to get the map out when I noticed the map on display on the noticeboard. Decided it would be a lot easier to just ride over and look at that one rather than get the one out of my pack. It proved to be a good decision as the map on the board was one showing current track closures and detours in place. The closed road was indeed the one I needed to go down to do the second half of the lap and was also cutting off a main section of the yellow loop. As a result the yellow loop had been completely redesigned which explained why following it wasn't getting me where I thought it would. Good lesson for the future, check the board for closures and detours at the start of the ride.

Checking the map, most of the second half of the lap was closed for harvesting so I decided instead to do a lap of the red loop before heading home. In the end my 50ish km planned ride had turned into 64.5 and I was pretty stuffed. That's only a little past the half way distance of the Fling though, it's certainly going to be a tough day out in a few weeks time.

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:30 am

Sounds like fun Shane. I'll be servicing the MTB during the week and head out to start refreshing my offroad skillz, really looking forward to the dirt series.

Just back from a quick 50 with blc this morning which brings my weekly total to 350km :) . So am looking good for passing the arrow if I can keep it up over the next couple of weeks.

sblack

Postby sblack » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:39 am

Top effort Grant, I take it the foot is holding up well now.

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:02 pm

Cheers Shane. So far so good with the foot :) .

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Yay. back in the green. Great 100km ride today with Norbs. Thanks mate!

norbs

Postby norbs » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:13 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Yay. back in the green. Great 100km ride today with Norbs. Thanks mate!
No, thank you. Good to have someone to ride with. ;)

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:23 pm

Well done Dave and Norbs!

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:23 pm

norbs wrote:
DaveOZ wrote:Yay. back in the green. Great 100km ride today with Norbs. Thanks mate!
:oops: Damn this 3rd week of having a cold/chest infection sucks. Today would have been great for a ride.

Tomorrow is bike maintenance day, the CX bike is going tubeless and getting new pedals and the fixie is getting a new chain and bar tape.

I might even clean both my mtb's too. :D

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:03 am

Mugglechops wrote:
norbs wrote:
:oops: Damn this 3rd week of having a cold/chest infection sucks. Today would have been great for a ride.

Tomorrow is bike maintenance day, the CX bike is going tubeless and getting new pedals and the fixie is getting a new chain and bar tape.

I might even clean both my mtb's too. :D
Was a great day until we headed south. :) I think we sat on about 23kph on Jindy Andy and Pyree. And this morning I am stuffed.

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:58 pm

100ish kms today riding the Audax Robbo weekend Sunday edition. Travelled on some new roads and some old favourites in a different direction. Caught up with some friends along the way, and got dropped by a couple of them too :) . Quite a nice morning out :)

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:29 pm

clocked over 5000 for the year yesterday, during Around the Bay 210km.
Wow, great event, and I am sore today. Longest ride I've done, previous was 163km.
My ride time for the 210 was 7hrs 37 minutes. Elapsed was 10hrs 11min. (ferry, puncture, food etc)

I can't recommend the event highly enough, and to have 17000 participants in the one event makes it even more fantastic.
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"