6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

oldnewby

Re: 6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

Postby oldnewby » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:51 pm

getting back into some regular riding now, 6 rides in Sept, slowly making up for a very lean 10-12 weeks. Of course the weather helps! As does 'training' for Kinglake 115km and ATB 210km. This weekend was 68km, including both sides of Mt Macedon. Awesome ride, even tho the weather wasn't great on Sat. The Gisborne side was very tough, had to stop twice - no walking, but almost vomiting! The Woodend side was easier, but a longer climb, and the most pleasing thing was getting it done in just on 40min, after being so wrecked after the other side. Then today was a leisurely 46km one way from Berwick to Mornington. Glad to see the riding feats still rolling in on the 6k thread, keep up the great work guys & girls!
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:00 pm

I rolled over 4000km today which is already more than I did last year. The weather today was just perfect after the cold wind we've had. As the weather improves I shouldn't have any trouble clearing 6k. :D

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:34 pm

DaveOZ wrote:I rolled over 4000km today which is already more than I did last year. The weather today was just perfect after the cold wind we've had. As the weather improves I shouldn't have any trouble clearing 6k. :D

Good stuff mate

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:44 pm

oldnewby wrote:getting back into some regular riding now, 6 rides in Sept, slowly making up for a very lean 10-12 weeks. Of course the weather helps! As does 'training' for Kinglake 115km and ATB 210km. This weekend was 68km, including both sides of Mt Macedon. Awesome ride, even tho the weather wasn't great on Sat. The Gisborne side was very tough, had to stop twice - no walking, but almost vomiting! The Woodend side was easier, but a longer climb, and the most pleasing thing was getting it done in just on 40min, after being so wrecked after the other side. Then today was a leisurely 46km one way from Berwick to Mornington. Glad to see the riding feats still rolling in on the 6k thread, keep up the great work guys & girls!
Well done, keep going, been in the same boat, with the flue.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:50 pm

cheers Mustang, my reasons for not riding aren't as valid as the flu... just working a lot, crap weather, and an os trip.
well done Daveoz on the 4k!
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:35 pm

DaveOZ wrote:I rolled over 4000km today which is already more than I did last year. The weather today was just perfect after the cold wind we've had. As the weather improves I shouldn't have any trouble clearing 6k. :D
Nice work Dave!
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:41 pm

norbs wrote:Just realised after filling out my dirty little spreadsheet, that since I took up riding again on 29/7/09, I have clicked over 20,705kms. Mainly due to the good folk of the 6K Club. I thank you all.

20,705kms in 816h 39m. Riding 523 days since then. 483000 calories burned in that time.
Great effort norbs, nice average over 3 years too!

Don't know how you've managed to get 20,000km out of one set of tyres though :)

When is the big ride from Adelaide to Geelong, next few weeks isn't it? Depending on the route on the last day, you get pretty close to my front door, might see if we can catch up (if schedules are compatible).

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:47 pm

coffeeandwine wrote:
norbs wrote:Just realised after filling out my dirty little spreadsheet, that since I took up riding again on 29/7/09, I have clicked over 20,705kms. Mainly due to the good folk of the 6K Club. I thank you all.

20,705kms in 816h 39m. Riding 523 days since then. 483000 calories burned in that time.
Great effort norbs, nice average over 3 years too!

Don't know how you've managed to get 20,000km out of one set of tyres though :)

When is the big ride from Adelaide to Geelong, next few weeks isn't it? Depending on the route on the last day, you get pretty close to my front door, might see if we can catch up (if schedules are compatible).

Most details are here... http://cycling.norbtech.com/2012-charity-ride/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last day Day 6 30th Sep Beaufort to Geelong 141km

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Ooh not far off page 100

Go norbs your the best!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:03 pm

bosvit wrote:Ooh not far off page 100

Go norbs your the best!
Don't jinx us there Bosvit...remember last year????? :shock:

Who will be the first one to post on page 100????
Last edited by marinmomma on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:06 pm

marinmomma wrote:
bosvit wrote:Ooh not far off page 100

Go norbs your the best!
Don't jinx us there Bosvit...remember last year????? :shock:

Who will be the one to post on page 100????
Being a new member this year, can you fill us in on the details as to significance? (realise it is big number of pages...)

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:13 pm

coffeeandwine wrote: Being a new member this year, can you fill us in on the details as to significance? (realise it is big number of pages...)
Our 6k thread went MIA after a few months last year...I still think that it was someone from the 10k thread :wink:

I think the first post in this years thread is where Norbs gave a run down on the history of the 6k club including our thread going 'poof' overnight.
A new thread was started, the "6k Club. 2011 Edition. Now with more sparkle." It was going great guns with the gauntlets being launched like confetti at a Greek wedding. It had even had the arrival of members who didn't posses the Y chromosome. Then, late at night on the 13th of March, *poof* (Mods, please note, this is a magical term, not aimed at any particular minority), GONE! The thread had done the Harry Holt. The question was asked in this thread, which became a halfway house for a while, until it was realised the original thread, with the sparkle, he popped its clogs and wasn't coming home. So, the newest version was started up, or Reloaded. It took off and is still going today.
Hth
Lisa

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Oh the memories. :)

Good lord I waffled on in the intro. ;)

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:46 pm

norbs wrote:Oh the memories. :)

Just the intro???? :wink: :lol:

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:49 pm

Weather here has been really windy, wet and cold this last week. Today we had sunshine! :D

In training for ATB (210km) in 6 weeks, so trying to get a few 100km rides in beforehand.

Did 50km with Mrs C+W then stopped for lunch and a few coffees at the local cafe (had the waitress tricked when we ordered lunch then cakes AS WELL). Then after lunch set off up the hill for another 50km. Felt pretty good but had to grind out the last few hills-not really dancing on the pedals like Alberto, more like an ex-footballer on Dancing with the Stars with two left feet and absolutely no sense of timing. :)

I presume I can count it as 100km ride even with a lunch break in the middle? Has done nice things for my total. Julie you need to keep pedalling, I'm only 13km behind... :)

cheers

Peter.

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:50 pm

bosvit wrote:
norbs wrote:Oh the memories. :)

Just the intro???? :wink: :lol:

You make a point. ;)

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:58 am

coffeeandwine wrote: I presume I can count it as 100km ride even with a lunch break in the middle?
Sure it counts, you just stopped for fuel. Sounds like a nice ride.

sblack

Postby sblack » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:46 am

Well done on the 4k Dave, you'll be catching that triangle in no time.
bosvit wrote:How long did your brake pads last for? I know it's a how long is a piece of string question but such is.....
I got 1200km out of them, about 200 of that with Noah being towed which I'm sure wears them out quicker than anything else. A fair chunk of my dirt riding has been on fairly steep stuff too and with plenty of mud and grit to get in an accelerate the wear. So I suspect my pad wear would be above average for a recreational rider.

The front pads still had some wear left in them but with a planned 100km in unknown territory I opted to replace them rather than risk it. The rear pads should have had plenty left apart from an issue I believe occured on Meryla Pass. When I got to the bottom of the pass I noticed a bit of drag on the rear wheel and found it had shifted in the dropouts and wasn't properly aligned, causing the disc to rub on the pads. My guess is a jump on the rocky section just before the start of the pass, which had been a fairly reasonable hit upon landing (caused by my complete lack of skills) had caused the shift and I'd done the entire pass with the wheel misaligned. The end result was the pads had very uneven wear and one edge on one of the pads was almost worn while there was still plenty left on the other edge and the entire other pad.
DaveOZ wrote:
coffeeandwine wrote: I presume I can count it as 100km ride even with a lunch break in the middle?
Sure it counts, you just stopped for fuel. Sounds like a nice ride.
Of course it counts. Stopping for lunch, coffee, regrouping, etc is all a normal part of social riding. A typical 100km Audax ride would have a checkpoint which would normally involve a coffee and/or some sort of food at the halfway mark. I'd be guessing you'd have a few stops along the way for ATB too. Learning to time manage and to get the legs working again after a stop is all part of longer distance riding.

While I had no riding on the weekend it was great to be able to be at the Relay For Life for the entire event. I didn't walk the whole time but did manage to get in 100 laps on the Saturday which had me getting my double step mini challenge in the GCC all sorted before doing another 27 laps on the Sunday morning. The event is a great community event and the family was glad to have me there the whole time as well. So while I was dissappointed at missing the MTB ride initially I still had a great day and was happy to be there. Already signed up again for next year when my wife and I are contemplating one of us walking for the entire 24 hours. Thanks to those that sponsered me.

breezer1

Postby breezer1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:44 am

Well the year total so far has gone to 7007 km after todays ride :D ...been great to get a bit of decent weather for a change :shock:

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:11 pm

Well done on reaching your target breezer1, I think this is going to be a busy month with people hitting targets.

I hit my GCC goal of 3 million 'steps' during a short ride last night. So today, being the last day of the challenge is all bonus steps to help keep my team at the top of our organisation.

norbs

Postby norbs » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:22 pm

Eventful ride today.

http://norbs.tk/a3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Sounds like it would have been quite a nice ride without those idiots.

Running you off the road and leaving the scene of an accident; shame you weren't running a camera, they may have got an unpleasant surprise :shock:

Hope the bruises heal quickly Norbs.

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:07 pm

Gee norbs, head cold, eating bugs and getting run off the road. Sound like you're having one of you bad runs lately. Hope you've got it all out of your system and you can focus on getting ready for the Tour De Kids from now on. Must be about to start one last hard week before taking a few days break before the ride?

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:40 am

Nasty ride home, nothin on Norbs though.

20km/h headwind, drizzle the whole way, forced to ride the roadie cos the front brake has jammed on the MTB and lights stuck on low beam due to lack of charge......

Will just have to do it again tomorrow :)

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:01 am

sblack wrote:Gee norbs, head cold, eating bugs and getting run off the road. Sound like you're having one of you bad runs lately. Hope you've got it all out of your system and you can focus on getting ready for the Tour De Kids from now on. Must be about to start one last hard week before taking a few days break before the ride?

All good today. Sore knee, but the rest of me is fine.

Yeah, the plan is to do 2 or 3 more hundreds, then stop riding next Tuesday. I am doing a ride or 2 in Adelaide before I leave.