6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

grantw

Re: 6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

Postby grantw » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:50 pm

Congrats Oldnewby. Cracking 200 is a great achievement.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:22 am

After resting yesteday I took the Paino out this morning for a short ride. It really needs a new chain and cluster as it jumps around like a jumpy thing in some gears and won't stay in low gear for long which I discovered to my horror on the steep bit of Hill 60.

As a reward for climbing it in second, I was given Humpback whales playing off the entrance to Port Kembla. They were quite close in and put on a grand display of tails and flippers. Sure beats working.

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:13 pm

grantw wrote:Congrats Oldnewby. Cracking 200 is a great achievement.
cheers grantw, much appreciated. Bit sore today!
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

norbs

Postby norbs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:15 pm

A video with the new GoPro of me riding Nowra Hill. Lewy and Dave have both ridden this little hill.

This is it on Strava

http://app.strava.com/segments/621588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Nice nut cam :D

norbs

Postby norbs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Nice nut cam :D

TestiCam

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:00 pm

oldnewby wrote:clocked over 5000 for the year yesterday, during Around the Bay 210km.
Wow, great event, and I am sore today. Longest ride I've done, previous was 163km.
My ride time for the 210 was 7hrs 37 minutes. Elapsed was 10hrs 11min. (ferry, puncture, food etc)

I can't recommend the event highly enough, and to have 17000 participants in the one event makes it even more fantastic.
Great effort oldnewby!!!

You were an hour quicker than us for the 210km. We did M-Q-ferry-S-M.

Our riding time was 8:34 with an additional 1:30 waiting for the ferry and a few extra stops (old men with prostate problems :) ). Came in at 18:30 so elapsed time of about 12 hours. The start was much better organised this year.

Average speed was 24.3kmh and we burned up 9126 calories. To make up for it, this was a (facebook) description of what Mrs C+W consumed:
"I ate 6 assorted muesli bars, half a packet of jelly beans, and drank lots of water along with: one Gatorade, two bottles of water with glucodin, a cup of tea. also a can of coke purchased at Mordialic in order to bring me home on a sugar rush. Also had a tin of rice cream (my favorite -not!) And the supplied lunch: roast chicken and vegies, a banana, with a brownie to follow! What a big day!" (It was actually two tins of creamed rice!!) I reckon i had a couple of extra muesli and Cadel bars-don't want one for a while and about 3 gels. Towards the end i was having a muesli/cadel bar for more sustained energy and a gel for something immediate. We had a team of six with one extra guy on either side who did part/half; here we are at the finish, resplendent in the new team kit.

Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:54 pm

coffeeandwine wrote:
oldnewby wrote:clocked over 5000 for the year yesterday, during Around the Bay 210km.
Wow, great event, and I am sore today. Longest ride I've done, previous was 163km.
My ride time for the 210 was 7hrs 37 minutes. Elapsed was 10hrs 11min. (ferry, puncture, food etc)

I can't recommend the event highly enough, and to have 17000 participants in the one event makes it even more fantastic.
Great effort oldnewby!!!

Our riding time was 8:34 with an additional 1:30 waiting for the ferry and a few extra stops (old men with prostate problems :) ). Came in at 18:30 so elapsed time of about 12 hours. The start was much better organised this year.

Average speed was 24.3kmh and we burned up 9126 calories. To make up for it, this was a (facebook) description of what Mrs C+W consumed:
"I ate 6 assorted muesli bars, half a packet of jelly beans, and drank lots of water along with: one Gatorade, two bottles of water with glucodin, a cup of tea. also a can of coke purchased at Mordialic in order to bring me home on a sugar rush. Also had a tin of rice cream (my favorite -not!) And the supplied lunch: roast chicken and vegies, a banana, with a brownie to follow! What a big day!" (It was actually two tins of creamed rice!!) I reckon i had a couple of extra muesli and Cadel bars-don't want one for a while and about 3 gels. Towards the end i was having a muesli/cadel bar for more sustained energy and a gel for something immediate. We had a team of six with one extra guy on either side who did part/half; here we are at the finish, resplendent in the new team kit.

200KM, are you trying to catch me or something??

Anyway, well done. Not sure I could actually ride that far in a day. I ride to work every day so on Sunday, I slept in until 11.30 :)

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:44 am

coffeeandwine wrote:Great effort oldnewby!!!
Our riding time was 8:34 with an additional 1:30 waiting for the ferry and a few extra stops (old men with prostate problems ). Came in at 18:30 so elapsed time of about 12 hours. The start was much better organised this year.
Thanks C&W, and great work yourself, Love the kit! I thought the day was fantastic, and I'll definitely be a starter next year.
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:09 am

So many great efforts here this year with many of you exceeding your targets already. Well done!

I've finally got back ahead of my 6K target which really gives me hope. I've already done more km's than my entire year last year. :D

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:11 am

DaveOZ wrote:So many great efforts here this year with many of you exceeding your targets already. Well done!

I've finally got back ahead of my 6K target which really gives me hope. I've already done more km's than my entire year last year. :D
Good job mate. I rode to work today and only coughed up a little bit of my lungs. I may finally be over my chest infection.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:57 am

I'm thinking about revising my target upwards again! :D
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Dusted off my Mountain bike this morning in preparation for preparing for Shane's Audax dirt series. It checked out ok so with a few errands to run I donned the baggies and headed out for a bit of a ride.

I'd forgotton just how much fun riding on knobby tyres and suspension can be. During the ride I also clocked up 4500km which means for the next few days at least, I'll be riding October's kilometers in October :D

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:02 pm

After yesterdays aborted mess due to a headache, I went out and smashed a couple of PB's that I have had in my sights for a while.

http://app.strava.com/activities/26010144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lopped 20 seconds off my best run up Nowra Hill. Over 2.5 minutes off the Forrest Road run. Pretty happy with that.

Took nearly 20 minutes off the best time for that full ride as well.

Happy camper here.

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:10 pm

Top stuff Norbs.

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:13 pm

I know it is a bit of a cheap shot, but I might not get there for this calendar year.

47kW. I am a machine.

:D

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:58 pm

Bloody good effort mate. Please don't unleash that 47kws of power on me tomorrow. It's been a while since I was on the bike.

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:30 pm

10 more kws and you're one of these

I clocked up 830km so far for October with this mornings ride, 4 days left, so might have a go at 1k :)

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:42 pm

Nice morning for a ride with norbs and another mate Damien.

Was giving a the fixie a test run for the Sydney to Gong. All was well until my chain broke 100 metres from home :(

http://app.strava.com/rides/26174970" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Almost 70kms riding fixed killed me so the fixie wont be getting a run in the Gong ride.

Greenwell Point boat ramp

takeitasread

Postby takeitasread » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:32 pm

Phew, I think I'm over the 6K!

sblack

Postby sblack » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:21 pm

Some good riding and achievements happening in the thread lately.Nice work takeitasread, good to see another gold bar in the thread.

Oldnewby and coffeeandwine, well done on the ATB. Be a bit flatter and longer than your normal riding oldnewby.

Mugglechops, good to see you back on the bike. Just enough time to get some fitness back for the fling.

Grant, nice to hear you've got the MTB out and ready for the dirt series. I'll let you know when I'm heading back up to Fitzroy Falls for the next recon ride, should be mid next month. Good luck with making the 1000km this month too.

I went out for a ride with the neighbours this morning to see me past the 6000m climbing for October, not only keeping the goal alive for this year but also marking the 12th straight month of 6000+. Gorgeous morning to be out for a ride. Had to leave the neighbours halfway through when they stopped for coffee as I needed to be home but saw plenty of other riders out enjoying the day as I was heading through Jamberoo back home.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 am

Had a fun morning riding up the escarpment on the MTB, the plan was to get to Brokers Nose, which is a prominent feature hereabouts, but I got lost along the way and the garmin didn't know about the track I was looking for so I just noodled around a bit and practised descending steep rocky single track. I will take a topo map with me next time.

Montari on the scarp by _granty, on Flickr

sblack

Postby sblack » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Hey Grant, it's a nice ride on the Lower Escarpment Trail. I've done the ride to Brokers Nose before. You where heading the right way, just needed to go another 400m to see the steep climb on the left to take you to the top. I took a wrong turn at the top when I did it though and ended up walking up some unrideable sections. The way I came back was all rideable firetrail but there where plenty of bits that looked like singletrack heading off into the bush, there's a few of them that are strava segments, I haven't made it back to explore that area more yet.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:13 pm

Cheers Shane, I might have another crack at it on the weekend. My off road technique is very rusty and needs the practise :)

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:21 pm

It's gone a bit quite here in the 6k club...has everyone been outing riding or something??

One last day to get out and log some k's before the October update is due....this year is flying by, Norbs will be writing up the opening post on the 2013 thread before we know it!!!
Lisa