Page 2 of 22

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:08 pm
by norbs
Put me down for 2 already. What do I win.




Please note, I am not interested in keeping track, just my only chance to be in the top 10 of any comp here.
:)

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:14 pm
by Aushiker
U2adam!!! wrote:
RonK wrote:I'd just like to point out that a metric century is actually 160 kilometers.


I'm fairly sure that an imperial century is 160km.

Metric is 100km.



Yep unless we have suddenly changed the definition of the word "century" :wink:

Anyway as clearly understood by the majority of participants in this thread and clearly the one at YACF a metric century for the purposes for this friendly competition is 100 kilometres.

Andrew

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:32 pm
by GraemeL
Wiki has it as being a Metric Century = 100 k's (62 miles)

Graeme

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:58 pm
by sli123
OK, I'm off the mark.
7 Jan, 1 Point, SPCC Saturday, 114KM, Total Points: 1, Total Distance: 114KM
Cheers.

2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:07 pm
by gabrielle260
Hi all,
Put me down as a starter, however I may fall at the first hurdle! I am recovering from an op on my shoulder and am not allowed on the bike till the 23rd Jan. To give you an idea of where I am at; on Wed I cut 3 slices of bread for the kids with a good quality bread knife and had to take an endone and lie down for 4 hours as a result. I'm getting a little better each day though, so who knows what I will be like closer to the end of the month!!!!
So, if I can get the first century in ok, I will be able to give you younger, fitter guys a run for your money...

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:15 pm
by flashgaza
Ken Ho wrote:No problem. Strava links suck, cos I'm not a member, and don't wish to join.
I was planning on one this weekend, if I can get away. I'll have to leave early though. Tre hot out here at present.


Sorry off topic,but if you don't wish to use Strava don't knock it. :roll:

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:27 pm
by blossy84
Aushiker wrote:
erin wrote:What a great way to aim to do longer rides more often :D think it's a bit out of my league at the moment...

Only way to find out :)

Andrew


Well I did it. I went out and did 100kms today. My previous longest ride was about 42kms I think. I was hurting towards the end. Will post details later. Now to get ready for another one in Feb. Ouch!

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:30 pm
by Aushiker
sli123 wrote:OK, I'm off the mark.
7 Jan, 1 Point, SPCC Saturday, 114KM, Total Points: 1, Total Distance: 114KM
Cheers.


Nice start :)

Andrew

2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:30 pm
by gabrielle260
Well done Erin!!!!!!

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:31 pm
by Aushiker
gabrielle260 wrote:Hi all,
Put me down as a starter, however I may fall at the first hurdle! I am recovering from an op on my shoulder and am not allowed on the bike till the 23rd Jan. To give you an idea of where I am at; on Wed I cut 3 slices of bread for the kids with a good quality bread knife and had to take an endone and lie down for 4 hours as a result. I'm getting a little better each day though, so who knows what I will be like closer to the end of the month!!!!
So, if I can get the first century in ok, I will be able to give you younger, fitter guys a run for your money...


Ouch. Hope you heal well and quickly and before January 31, 2012 :)

Andrew

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:36 pm
by notwal
erin wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
erin wrote:What a great way to aim to do longer rides more often :D think it's a bit out of my league at the moment...

Only way to find out :)

Andrew


Well I did it. I went out and did 100kms today. My previous longest ride was about 42kms I think. I was hurting towards the end. Will post details later. Now to get ready for another one in Feb. Ouch!

Way to go erin. :D :D :D

I just came home from a 92km ride. That's 8 km short :( (administers a one handed chinese burn for stupidity).

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:45 pm
by sli123
gabrielle260 wrote:Well done Erin!!!!!!


+1

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:47 pm
by sli123
notwal wrote:I just came home from a 92km ride. That's 8 km short :( (administers a one handed chinese burn for stupidity).


oh the shame!!
:mrgreen:

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:13 pm
by Aushiker
erin wrote:Well I did it. I went out and did 100kms today. My previous longest ride was about 42kms I think. I was hurting towards the end. Will post details later. Now to get ready for another one in Feb. Ouch!


Good on you!!! What a great effort and outcome. Make sure you provide the details and register for the point. Now you will have no excuses for that Audax ride in two weeks ... only 100 km as well :)

Andrew

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:45 pm
by Ken Ho
flashgaza wrote:
Ken Ho wrote:No problem. Strava links suck, cos I'm not a member, and don't wish to join.
I was planning on one this weekend, if I can get away. I'll have to leave early though. Tre hot out here at present.


Sorry off topic,but if you don't wish to use Strava don't knock it. :roll:


I didn't say that strava sucks, just that I could not view the link without joining. I was disappointed.

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:18 am
by blossy84
7 Jan (solo ride) 1 Point, 100km, average moving speed 24.9km

strava link for anyone who is interested: http://app.strava.com/rides/3147119

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:20 am
by blossy84
gabrielle260 wrote:Well done Erin!!!!!!


Thanks Gabrielle - hope you have a speedy recovering after your shoulder op :)

And thanks sli123 and notwal... :)

...my legs still feel tired, but I feel good for doing it

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:27 am
by blossy84
Aushiker wrote:
erin wrote:Well I did it. I went out and did 100kms today. My previous longest ride was about 42kms I think. I was hurting towards the end. Will post details later. Now to get ready for another one in Feb. Ouch!


Good on you!!! What a great effort and outcome. Make sure you provide the details and register for the point. Now you will have no excuses for that Audax ride in two weeks ... only 100 km as well :)

Andrew


Thanks Andrew :D hehe we'll see about another 100km ride so soon, I should try a 60km or 80km ride some time too :P

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:43 am
by ldrcycles
I'm definitely keen on having a go, i need some motivation to get mor long rides happening. Thursday was 104k all up, but it doesn't count as i had 8hrs of work in the middle, hardly a continuous ride :) .

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:55 am
by briztoon
erin wrote:7 Jan (solo ride) 1 Point, 100km, average moving speed 24.9km

strava link for anyone who is interested: http://app.strava.com/rides/3147119



Well done erin. Keep doing them and soon 50km doesn't seem like a proper ride any more.

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:09 am
by you cannot be sirrus
I'll be in, got a 100k+ ride planned for next Sunday anyway, Ride Like Crazy. Probaly be good motivation I've done so many recent rides in the 90s and head home thinking there's little point in carrying on just to make it a ton, this might just spur me on to make them all tick over 100.

Just checked Strava,my last century was over two months ago 194km, done 5 rides in the 90s since one being 98.2km. This is just what I need to keep me going I reckon.

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:16 am
by duds2u
I'm in.
Got my first point this morning, 104K. We did a variation of the metric Noosa 100 plus the extras to and from the meet point got me over the line. The moving average was 29.9 khp

I'm aiming to do about 3 a month

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:54 pm
by lethoso
Ken Ho wrote:I didn't say that strava sucks, just that I could not view the link without joining. I was disappointed.


it's an account privacy setting - you can set your rides to be visible to the whole world, or just strava members.

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:10 pm
by Eleri
Well, this challenge became useful this morning. Started out on a regular 93km ride through Royal National Park in NSW and decided to add some hill repeats at the end to take me over the 100. Must be mad!

2/1/12 135km on the BNA Girls Ride 1 point - http://app.strava.com/activities/3032064 TOTAL points 1; TOTAL kms 135
8/1/12 102km RNP 1 point http://app.strava.com/rides/3166009 TOTAL points 2, TOTAL kms 237

Re: 2012 Metric Century a Month Challenge Register

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:27 pm
by Ken Ho
lethoso wrote:
Ken Ho wrote:I didn't say that strava sucks, just that I could not view the link without joining. I was disappointed.


it's an account privacy setting - you can set your rides to be visible to the whole world, or just strava members.


There ya go. I could see erin's ride, and I wondered why.
Anyway, enough of that.
I'm off the mark too, did 100.5 today. As it's quite hot out here, I did it in 2 bits, going out and back one way for 52, then a quick pitstop to re-fill bottles and cool off, then rode out into the desolate heat toward Jericho on a road that is closed 50 kmout due to flood damage, so there is no traffic on it. Brutal headwinds, and no shade at the turn-around, over 40 degrees at the end, so average speed was very slow, just over 25. I nipped into the hospital at the end to ger cold water, and got ny core temp checked. It was 37.4, so starting to de-compensate my thermoregulation.
I needed every bit of the cup of concrete Erin fed us all to finish.
So, 1 point.
Here's a kinky.
http://maps.google.com/?q=http://share. ... 8-0646.kml
I know it only says 99km, but for some reason, it did not record the last mile from the hospital to home, after my water stop Not know why, but I rode it.
I should mention that the water out here is artesian, comes out of the ground very hot and smells of sulphur. People have cold water systems, not hot. The hospital has a "cold tap" routed through it's fridge system that is a lodestone to a ot rider.