BREAKING NEWS - Car Driver Deliberately Runs Cyclists Down

Sveky

Postby Sveky » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:26 pm

hmm what’s the chances of doing some time with such offences?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:48 pm

I'm guessing that the Judge will see it as a moment of brain fade and let him off with a fine, loss of license and some community work. A repeat offense would be a different matter.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:49 pm

Depends on how good the police are in preparing the prosecution brief and piecing together the identification trail.

I was involved in a surf rage case last year and the cretin got off with some real light charges on a plea bargain because the detective stuffed up the ID trail.

mbiffen

Postby mbiffen » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:31 am

First and second Offence Reckless driving maximun jail time is 9 months. Third or subsequent offence Maximum 12 months.There are also provisions for monetary fines for this offence.

Unlawful Act with Intent to Harm, Maximum Jail time 5 years.This matter can be dealt with summarily (lower court) with a maximum of 2 years jail. Fine might be better? Up to $24000

I will be very surpised if he does any jail time at all. That said I obviously don't know if the person charged has any previous offences of this kind. My guess 2 year suspended sentence or good behaviour.
:?: :?:

sandman

Postby sandman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:45 am

Well I had 3 a-hole truck drivers decide to show me how smart they were today. One cut infront of me, hit the brakes to turn left and the 2 others decided that they couldnt get around me (even though it was 2 lanes an no one else around) and had to pass within millimeters.

Even though my wife could retire to the Bahamas on my "Death Benefit", it still doesnt make me feel any better that my daily rides increase my chances of becomming a statistic.....

I wonder how they would feel if I were to menance a member of their family ?

Pete

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:51 am

sandman wrote:Well I had 3 a-hole truck drivers decide to show me how smart they were today. One cut infront of me, hit the brakes to turn left and the 2 others decided that they couldnt get around me (even though it was 2 lanes an no one else around) and had to pass within millimeters.
Is this on the Great Western Highway?

Most truck drivers I encounter leave enough room, but the worst ones are the Australian Native Landscapes trucks - they're very large and the drivers often cut very close.