Ah Warney, stick to spin bowling mate.

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Ah Warney, stick to spin bowling mate.

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:58 pm

uncle arthur wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Guess who got close to it today :( Seriously close halflane pass.
Yes I shouldn't have escalated by giving the one digit wave then filtering at a couple of intersections but watching her stare at me in the mirror as she zoomed away after the pass got me blood up. Got to heated words after she followed me into a supermarket when the obligatory white van pulls up and says he was a witness to me riding "in the middle of the road". The van was the business vehicle of Phil Roberts Signs, guess who won't be getting any more work from me?

So does Phil Robert's Signs currently get much work from you and have you told him of your general disgust?

Used 'em a few times in the past for some vinyl cut lettering. He's a two man outfit, think it was his offsider this time but can't be sure.

I'm not really interested in taking it any further at this stage, it's a smallish town and could be risky, we've got a few of that sort of driver. Not many considering there's a fair volume of Chevodores getting about. In close to 18years of adult riding, this is only the third close call in the town itself. Maybe I'll see things differently once Nate comes through with my camera mount. Dunno, I'm not the type to post the niggly stuff.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

by BNA » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:03 pm

BNA

Postby uncle arthur » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:03 pm

It's not about posting videos - it's about telling a service provider that their employees are acting like a douche, and voting with your feet. Otherwise what good comes from posting about it here? :roll:

Sometimes it takes more than a smack to the head to tell someone to smarten up - and I'm sure there's plenty of other signwriting businesses that take and deliver orders via the interwebs who would be more than happy to take your money..... You said it yourself - it's a small town - how many more regular customers could they afford to lose on tight margins?

If you don't make use of your right to give customer feedback, you may as well not have it.....
Last edited by uncle arthur on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!
uncle arthur

Postby squeakywheel » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:09 pm

uncle arthur wrote:Good - now this is using this forum to generate some outcomes - a far more useful initiative.

I'm actually now interested in seeing how this issue pans out in the longer term - Warnie seems to have gone very quiet in the last day or so.....

The Warnie fiasco is kind of a minor obsession with me at the moment. I am waiting on tenterhooks to see what the outcome is (personally I am hoping charges will be laid against Mr Warne if the allegations against him are found to be correct). Ive been horrified to see some of the comments made by members of the public on various online newspapers and the like. Now would be the time for public to witness a motorist actually being punished for an illegal action against a cyclist. If he has assaulted someone and gotten away with it, what does that say to every Joe Blow with a gripe?

Ive contacted Victoria Police urging them to investigate the matter further, sent several comments to online newspapers (without much success) and contacted the Lord Mayor of Melbourne's office after he said he would be cracking down on cyclists in the CBD of Melbourne (and what about the motorists?). I live in Sydney but it goes without saying that this kind of publicity impacts on us all.

I think a sticky with all road rules is a brilliant idea! It would certainly be a very handy reference for all, and there certainly seems to be some confusion and some variation between states.

I'd also like to see a thread entitled 'Ah Warney, stick to spin bowling mate' to actually be about Warnie and the fallout from his actions..
squeakywheel

Postby uncle arthur » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:13 pm

nikkie wrote:
I'd also like to see a thread entitled 'Ah Warney, stick to spin bowling mate' to actually be about Warnie and the fallout from his actions..

But all this discussion regarding the minutae of road laws as they apply to various situations is so much more valuable and interesting - I've given up lamb roast with Tom Cruise just to staty home and watch the drama unfold........

:roll:
uncle arthur

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:15 pm

nikkie wrote:
uncle arthur wrote:Good - now this is using this forum to generate some outcomes - a far more useful initiative.

I'm actually now interested in seeing how this issue pans out in the longer term - Warnie seems to have gone very quiet in the last day or so.....

The Warnie fiasco is kind of a minor obsession with me at the moment. I am waiting on tenterhooks to see what the outcome is (personally I am hoping charges will be laid against Mr Warne if the allegations against him are found to be correct). Ive been horrified to see some of the comments made by members of the public on various online newspapers and the like. Now would be the time for public to witness a motorist actually being punished for an illegal action against a cyclist. If he has assaulted someone and gotten away with it, what does that say to every Joe Blow with a gripe?

Ive contacted Victoria Police urging them to investigate the matter further, sent several comments to online newspapers (without much success) and contacted the Lord Mayor of Melbourne's office after he said he would be cracking down on cyclists in the CBD of Melbourne (and what about the motorists?). I live in Sydney but it goes without saying that this kind of publicity impacts on us all.

I think a sticky with all road rules is a brilliant idea! It would certainly be a very handy reference for all, and there certainly seems to be some confusion and some variation between states.

I agree 100%

Warnie needs to be charged if the allegations are correct. The Police saying “sort it out amongst yourselves” is a very dangerous precedent because some peoples idea of “sorting it out” would involve violence. The Police need to charge either the cyclist or the driver. This IS a big issue and if the Police aren’t going to act then disband them and re-establish the rule of law with citizens whom actually want to be a Police Officer not just dress like one.
2012 Oppy A4
KonaCommuter

Postby birdbrain » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:22 pm

Warnie needs to be charged if the allegations are correct. The Police saying “sort it out amongst yourselves” is a very dangerous precedent because some peoples idea of “sorting it out” would involve violence. The Police need to charge either the cyclist or the driver. This IS a big issue and if the Police aren’t going to act then disband them and re-establish the rule of law with citizens whom actually want to be a Police Officer not just dress like one.

I'm not surprised that the police said "sort it out amongst yourselves" It might involve them having to write a report or doing some legwork. Considering many years ago my wife was involved in an accident where the other driver did'nt stop until chased down then gave a false name and address and when we went to the local police station to make a report were told it's a civil matter thats when we figured out that they are often either useless or lazy.
birdbrain

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:26 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:I agree 100%

+1. There are allegedly witnesses so it wouldn't be that hard to find out the truth if that is the case. Otherwise it sends the message that the police don't care when the rules are broken. I don't know for sure which side is telling the truth, but if the cyclist's version is true, the police should be taking action as its not just a civil matter when a road user deliberately collides with another road user - it should become a criminal matter at that point.

I'm really amazed (or maybe not) that no section of the media has appeared to investigate further. Surely they would get lots of web traffic and ad revenue (all they probably really care about) if they came up with the true version of the story when every other outlet is sprouting the old story?
InTheWoods

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:43 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Warnie needs to be charged if the allegations are correct. The Police saying “sort it out amongst yourselves” is a very dangerous precedent.....

...........This IS a big issue...

We all need to calm down just a bit before the lynching :mrgreen: .

I'm sorry to have to say this, but the traffic infringement/criminality of Warne's actions is small beer. No injuries occurred, the damage to property was relatively minor. Even the 'failing to exchange details' is dubious in view of the fact that the cyclist recognised Warne and was not stressed about stopping him - would be able to track him down. I'd love for it to be different, but in our social and legal situation, that's the way it is.

Police have not said sort it out amongst yourselves ('here's the gloves'-style) but recognised that it is essentially a civil matter over minor damage. We won't hear too much about this because:

1. the damage is going to be pretty minor (small beer <$1000), and
2. any real legal dispute would be sorted out privately (usual sort of thing).

Warne's Twitter comments are a much more serious matter, given his public persona, but no laws have been contravened there AFAIK. You can't fine/jail a person for their opinions.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby uncle arthur » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:53 pm

il padrone wrote:We all need to calm down just a bit before the lynching :mrgreen: .

You can't fine/jail a person for their opinions.

Oh really?

uncle arthur

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:57 pm

il padrone wrote:Police have not said sort it out amongst yourselves ('here's the gloves'-style) but recognised that it is essentially a civil matter over minor damage. We won't hear too much about this because:

But *if* the damage was deliberate it is more of a criminal than civil matter surely? Otherwise I could go vandalise a house, fence, car whatever and have no fear of the police caring because the damage isn't enough to worry about and its just a civil matter.
InTheWoods

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:05 pm

Inwood wrote:But *if* the damage was deliberate it is more of a criminal than civil matter surely?

Yes, I guess so. Two things that work against it:

1. Proof - it'd take more than the evidence of a witness in a following car who did not hear anything said; and
2. It's still small beer - I believe this does influence the seriousness of any criminal damage prosecution.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Inwood wrote:
il padrone wrote:Police have not said sort it out amongst yourselves ('here's the gloves'-style) but recognised that it is essentially a civil matter over minor damage. We won't hear too much about this because:

But *if* the damage was deliberate it is more of a criminal than civil matter surely? Otherwise I could go vandalise a house, fence, car whatever and have no fear of the police caring because the damage isn't enough to worry about and its just a civil matter.

This

If a Victorian is charged with intentionally damaging someone else's property they should use the Warne defence. Simply say that Shane Warne wasn’t charged so why me? Because I’m black, a Muslim, Asian, young, play basket ball not Cricket?
2012 Oppy A4
KonaCommuter

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Nice thinking KC. I'm a cyclist, a disenfranchised group. OK if I go and spike Warne's Merc tyres now ?

:mrgreen:

On a more serious note - the Police can only work with the evidence they have :|
Last edited by il padrone on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
il padrone

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:19 pm

il padrone wrote:Nice thinking KC. I'm a cyclist, a disenfranchised group. OK if I go and spike Warne's Merc tyres now ?

:mrgreen:

It’d be interesting to see the level of Victorian Police’s interest if Shane were to complain about bolts being strewn on the road outside his apartment. Probably VERY interested
2012 Oppy A4
KonaCommuter

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby stats » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:21 pm

It is simply amazing that someone like this bogan Warne can run over a cyclist (as witnessed by another car driver and bike riders) and the Victorian police think its ok???????

The fact that it looks to be premeditated is of even greater concern.
stats

Postby high_tea » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:24 pm

il padrone wrote:
Inwood wrote:But *if* the damage was deliberate it is more of a criminal than civil matter surely?

1. Proof - it'd take more than the evidence of a witness in a following car who did not hear anything said; and
2. It's still small beer - I believe this does influence the seriousness of any criminal damage prosecution.

Agree, especially with point 1. IME police are reluctant to.deal with traffic matters if they have to deal with actual evidence. They druther deal with DUI or speeding unless there's significant harm involved. Personally, I think they, and society in general, take this sort of thing way too lightly; a license to drive is.far too close to a license to kill for my liking.
high_tea

Postby blkmcs » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:05 pm

high_tea wrote:
il padrone wrote:

Agree, especially with point 1. IME police are reluctant to.deal with traffic matters if they have to deal with actual evidence. They druther deal with DUI or speeding unless there's significant harm involved. Personally, I think they, and society in general, take this sort of thing way too lightly; a license to drive is.far too close to a license to kill for my liking.

The Police have treated this as trivial because the results were trivial.
But, if the cyclist had fallen as a result of Shame Warning's actions then he could have hit his head and been killed.

Same action by Shame much more serious result.

Not taking the matter seriously and doing some proper investigation sends the message that what Warning did is OK when in fact the next time a driver does this it may well end in the death of a cyclist.

We often see police representatives on TV bleating about the road toll and saying they don't know what more they can do the stop motorists killing each other on the roads.
Well here's a hint, zero tolerance for behaviour such as that exhibited by Shame Warning could do more to change driver behaviour than all the TV road safety campaigns combined.
Too old to live, too slow to die.
blkmcs

Postby squeakywheel » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:10 pm

blkmcs wrote:We often see police representatives on TV bleating about the road toll and saying they don't know what more they can do the stop motorists killing each other on the roads.
Well here's a hint, zero tolerance for behaviour such as that exhibited by Shame Warning could do more to change driver behaviour than all the TV road safety campaigns combined.

hear hear!
squeakywheel

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:12 pm

blkmcs wrote:We often see police representatives on TV bleating about the road toll and saying they don't know what more they can do the stop motorists killing each other on the roads.

Agree 100%.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby zero » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:14 pm

The investigation is apparently not over. AGF have mentioned it to the police, and now that there is a witness, Warne could be in a fair bit of bother (and I can only imagine what a sentencing judge will make of his twitter statements).

Shame it wasn't in NSW, as the menacing/predatory driving laws would be a REAL problem for him.
zero

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:17 pm

blkmcs wrote:Not taking the matter seriously and doing some proper investigation sends the message that what Warning did is OK when in fact the next time a driver does this it may well end in the death of a cyclist.

They spoke to both Warne and the cyclist. They have called for any witnesses to come forward IIRC. What more do you want them to do in this 'investigation'? Search his financial records..... ? Subject him to a lie-detector test...... ? There is a limit to what is reasonable investigation in our society.

Zero-tolerance would be a great thing. I've always advocated the principal of strict liability for road collisions, as I believe is applied in Europe, but it does not seem too popular with most people. Zero-tolerance itself has to be tempered with an awareness of the resources (time, man-power) that Police have at their disposal (#realism#).
il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:18 pm

nikkie wrote:hear hear!

:P
il padrone

Postby wizardhat » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:29 pm

il padrone wrote:
KonaCommuter wrote:I'm sorry to have to say this, but the traffic infringement/criminality of Warne's actions is small beer. No injuries occurred, the damage to property was relatively minor.
I would agree if it were me and a joe blogs driver, but it's not. It's getting a lot of media attention and it's likely affecting the perceptions of many drivers.
wizardhat

Postby norbs » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:49 pm

trailgumby wrote:I love the way we've gone from bagging Warney for being a tool and covering his considerably slimmed #### by lying and kicking up a Twitter storm, even when there were multiple witnesses to contradict his story...

... to arguing amoungst ourselves about the finer points of road rules.

Not. :roll:

For the amount of time you guys have spent (wasted) arguing with someone who is wrong in the internet, you could be doing something productive by writing letters to the main anti-cyclist rags like Australia's News Limited tabloid papers and Channel Nine in your cities to register your disgust.

Pathetic, the lot of you.

That made me laugh! You were banging away about Church Ministries in the AGF thread. Get over yourself. Oh, and using non family friendly language to, naughty naughty.

Back on topic, old mate orange skin has gone very quiet.
Last edited by norbs on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norbs

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion