FatPom

Tour de Hills

Postby FatPom » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:38 pm

Is anybody doing this next Sunday?

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:59 am

I'm thinking of it but will decide the day before most likely :-).

You didn't ride through Berowra Waters yesterday with a couple of mates did you Fatpom?
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

FatPom

Postby FatPom » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:06 am

Boognoss wrote:I'm thinking of it but will decide the day before most likely :-).

You didn't ride through Berowra Waters yesterday with a couple of mates did you Fatpom?
No I didn't. Unfortunately I'm still laid up from Friday's golf, and have managed to get a sore throat into the bargain :shock: Not sure how I did that on one of the hottest day of the year :oops: Stinking headache and I don't even drink

:oops:

So no riding at all this weekend. I might hit the pool later if I feel better.

Hope you're all having a better weekend than me :wink:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:51 am

Gaurantee i'm not! :cry:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:43 pm

Still laid up fatpom. Sure it wasn't the 19th hole that got yah?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:55 pm

FatPom wrote:
Boognoss wrote:I'm thinking of it but will decide the day before most likely :-).

No I didn't. Unfortunately I'm still laid up from Friday's golf, and have managed to get a sore throat into the bargain :shock: Not sure how I did that on one of the hottest day of the year :oops: Stinking headache and I don't even drink

:oops:

So no riding at all this weekend. I might hit the pool later if I feel better.

Hope you're all having a better weekend than me :wink:
That's a bummer that golf stopped you for riding. You need to prioritize :-). The reason I asked was because 3 guys were on the ferry with me during yesterdays ride and they all had an accent that was like "Engerlund" :-).

You were better off not riding. So much wind and I was riding into it most of the way. Struggling to do 35kph peddling hard down a hill sucks :shock: .
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

FatPom

Postby FatPom » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:30 pm

That's a bummer that golf stopped you for riding. You need to prioritize Smile. The reason I asked was because 3 guys were on the ferry with me during yesterdays ride and they all had an accent that was like "Engerlund" Smile.
Well I only just feel well enough to eat and look at the net. This is one of the main reasons I'll probably give triathlon away. I have two bulged discs in the lower back, and whilst with core work and stuff I can ride (and I'm thankful for that, believe me, as I couldn't walk very well for most of 2003), I can run if I need to, and to be honest the running on the day of a tri isn't the real issue. It's the days and days of training that hurts. Mrs FP worries about the long term damage and if I do wonder about the sense in doing HIMs and IMs if the result is more damage in 10 yrs.

So its a fine line really. Cycling isn't so bad because there is little impact, but harsh frames hurt a lot. Sometimes I take a chance and do things and get away with it (like paintball about a year ago), and sometimes I don't, like the golf.

I try and be careful, without wrapping myself in cotton wool. But fast coming to the conclusion that my tri days are coming to a close :(

It will leave time for the things I've been neglecting over the last couple of years like my passion for guitar playing. And I've been considering getting back into motorcycling (I used to race production class 600cc in the UK).

haha, three people with Engerlish accents? Not sure I know 3 English people that ride, and on the ferry is the only time you'd see two people with me, as most of the time I'm too slow for people to hang with :oops:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:23 am

OK, I've decided that I will do the TDH. Leximack is doing it as well so that's 3 forumites we know of so far. Anyone else up to the challenge of 20, 50, 70 or 100km through the Hills District tomorrow? (I'm going to give the 100 a good poke). I've even rested my legs the past two mornings (read - feeling lazy :oops: )
I'll be (probably) the only person on a lime green and black Avanti Blade wearing mis-matching colours and flouro yellow Camelbak :roll: .

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:00 am

I plan to be there. I'm a bit out of form due to not riding much lately, but I'll be giving the 100km a go. I'm pretty much certain I'll be the only person riding a bright yellow comfy chair while being dressed like a bee :wink: Say hi if you see me.

leximack

Postby leximack » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:04 am

yep, as boognoss said i will be there, not sure how fast i will be, will most probably being trying my hardest to keep up with boognoss before he leaves me on one of the uphills :(
Don

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:05 am

leximack wrote:yep, as boognoss said i will be there, not sure how fast i will be, will most probably being trying my hardest to keep up with boognoss before he leaves me on one of the uphills :(
Don
I had to have chunky legs for a reason!! I'll just wait for you to sail past me on a down-hill section (flat bar roadie + wide chest = windbreak).

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:28 am

Boognoss wrote:I had to have chunky legs for a reason!! I'll just wait for you to sail past me on a down-hill section (flat bar roadie + wide chest = windbreak).
Bend your elbows
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

FatPom

Postby FatPom » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:21 pm

Yeah I'll be there. I'll probably be wearing a grey or Black (haven't decided) Assos jersey. Black Assos gloves, silver Limar helmet. Will be riding a Ti Opera (with black bits) Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels. Will be hanging about with a guy on a yellow Giant.

I've got a purple Mazda 323 with British Bulldog nodding dog wearing a Union Jack waistcoat on the back shelf. 8)

Come and say hello :)

Just watching the finishers on IronMan Live from IMNZ. Lucky lucky people :cry:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

FatPom wrote:
I've got a purple Mazda 323 with British Bulldog nodding dog wearing a Union Jack waistcoat on the back shelf. 8)

What? Not riding there? :lol:
I'm only 10km away and it would take longer to disassemble the bike enough to fit in the car.

FatPom

Postby FatPom » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:24 pm

Boognoss wrote:
FatPom wrote:

What? Not riding there? :lol:
I'm only 10km away and it would take longer to disassemble the bike enough to fit in the car.
Nah shove that, I don't like riding on the road on my own. Early mornings are ok but I always worry about coming back. I know, I'm a chicken :oops:

But hey, a face like mine is worth protecting 8) :lol: :lol:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:35 pm

FatPom wrote:
Nah shove that, I don't like riding on the road on my own. Early mornings are ok but I always worry about coming back. I know, I'm a chicken :oops:

But hey, a face like mine is worth protecting 8) :lol: :lol:
Fair enough. :-)

FatPom

Postby FatPom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:37 pm

well back from TdH, and have to say I didn't think much of it at all :( The 2 x 50km loop course isn't a patch on the old 1 x 100 course IMO. Need to check my fillings after that road surface :shock:

There's nothing I can put my finger on, just didn't do it for me. I managed to lose my mate right at the start so I did the whole thing on my own with no help (I'm used to that anyway from tri).

Managed a 4:06, pretty happy with that at this point in my training year. 8)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:07 pm

Being used to some parts of the route (esp. Cattai Ridge Rd) and not having done the ride before I did expect some of the roughness. Should have but didn't expect quite so many hills though (I know, I know, I live in the Hills and all).

I can safely say this was the toughest 100km ride I've both in terms of the amount of climbing on the route and lack of coffee break time. I did a 3 hr 55 min ride and my computer said I was moving for 3 hrs 45 mins.

Doing 2 laps was both good (you knew what you were up for) and bad (you knew what you were up for :shock:). What was the 100km non-loop course before? Further up Old Northern Rd to Wisemans Ferry Rd or something?

I didn't see you Fatpom but did pass Hotdog on the climb up Glenhaven Rd on my first lap. He was having a snack break which I took as a good place for a minute of leg rest :-).

FatPom

Postby FatPom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:29 pm

Doing 2 laps was both good (you knew what you were up for) and bad (you knew what you were up for Shocked). What was the 100km non-loop course before? Further up Old Northern Rd to Wisemans Ferry Rd or something?
TBH I'm not really sure. I did it once and the area isn't my backyard. One guy today did say it went more towards Windsor. It went through some lovely farm areas, and you were riding in the 'middle' of the fields. It was all very nice, and the hills were concentrated at then end.

Man what a killer pinch about 5 kms from the end (with the left turn at the top) :shock: Saw a lot of people walking up that hill.

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:34 pm

Goo ride guys. What was the climbing total (meters) for the course?

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:35 pm

FatPom wrote:
Man what a killer pinch about 5 kms from the end (with the left turn at the top) :shock: Saw a lot of people walking up that hill.
Damn straight, just the final nail in the coffin for some :-). I met a friend of mine before the ride who was manning the first aid tent at the club itself. She said that the hill on Glenhaven Rd was the place that someone had a heart-attack in a previous year :shock: . That was good to know (esp since we'd do it twice)......

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:36 pm

needsapush wrote:Goo ride guys. What was the climbing total (meters) for the course?
Not sure, but Leximack had a Garmin so he'll be able to tell us once he downloads the ride :-).

FatPom

Postby FatPom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:40 pm

Not sure as I don't use a computer at all. The analytical, number crunching part of my brain calculates it ' a goodly amount' :lol:

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:45 pm

FatPom wrote:
Not sure as I don't use a computer at all. The analytical, number crunching part of my brain calculates it ' a goodly amount' :lol:
My analytical brain would be banned from these forums if it said what it really thought about the hills on lap 2. So I'll not let it..... :lol:

FatPom

Postby FatPom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:00 pm

Boognoss wrote:
FatPom wrote:
My analytical brain would be banned from these forums if it said what it really thought about the hills on lap 2. So I'll not let it..... :lol:
Yeah well I had a re-think as well. It did rhyme with 'a bucking cot' though :wink: