Electronic shifting. Why?

Nobody

Re: Electronic shifting. Why?

Postby Nobody » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:09 pm

Xplora wrote:If you want to use inferior technology, fine. Just don't pretend you are some higher being because of it. There is a reason why mechanics are all called grease monkeys. It's a derogatory term... :roll:
So are you superior because you use superior technology? Although not directly stated in many posts, I get this inference from many when they post about so-called superior technology like carbon fibre and other high-end equipment. It mainly comes across from their derogatory description of "inferior technology".

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:26 pm

Xplora wrote:With Di2, you don't HAVE to.
"About 327,000" people would disagree with you: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=di2+problem
Xplora wrote:There is a reason why mechanics are all called grease monkeys. It's a derogatory term...
An outdated one. Most cars haven't had grease nipples on them since the 1970s, and they've been using sealed bearings for decades now. There is literally nothing to grease on any car made in the last 15 to 20 years.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Ozzy, anyone who genuinely knows how to tune doesn't 'worry' about it. They do it, as a matter of reflex, as little as once every 12 mths.

To my mind, there's more worry remembering every week/fortnight/month to remove the battery, trundle it off to the charger, charge, then remember to trundle it back and install. But if Di2 higher beings think the worry is worth the performance gain, that's their lot in life.

Though you want to get over your religious belief that all mech users have the same problems that drove you guys to believe Di2 is an essential upgrade.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:38 pm

This is just too funny... Some people clearly have too much time on their hands & should spend less time writing essays & novels, and more time riding! Keep the comedy going tho!

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:27 pm

PawPaw wrote:Ozzy, anyone who genuinely knows how to tune doesn't 'worry' about it. They do it, as a matter of reflex, as little as once every 12 mths.

To my mind, there's more worry remembering every week/fortnight/month to remove the battery, trundle it off to the charger, charge, then remember to trundle it back and install. But if Di2 higher beings think the worry is worth the performance gain, that's their lot in life.

Though you want to get over your religious belief that all mech users have the same problems that drove you guys to believe Di2 is an essential upgrade.

First di2 users can't cook now we are religious .......

And we are higher beings.

Well, does that mean that all mechanical shifter users have to kneel before the higher beings di2 users.

Oh I forgot....

You are already doing that as you tune your gears.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:36 pm

ozzymac wrote:Oh I forgot....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SpinninWheels

Postby SpinninWheels » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Hey, let’s all chip in and buy Paw Paw a Di2 upgrade..... and then see what he thinks............

Seriously, back to the original question: Electronic shifting. Why?

I tried it
I liked it
I could afford it
I bought it
And.. I'm happy with it.

Guess what.... I still like riding my other bike with mechanical shifters too!

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Actually I stand up when I tune my bike, it's usually on a workstand.
No signature

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:Some people clearly have too much time on their hands & should spend less time writing essays & novels, and more time riding!
Well, not all of us are doctors. Some of us do get time off. :wink:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm out. :arrow:
Last edited by Nobody on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:54 pm

Starting to get a bit silly on both sides don't yer think? I do.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:08 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Starting to get a bit silly on both sides don't yer think? I do.
Starting???
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Johndec

Postby Johndec » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:11 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Starting to get a bit silly on both sides don't yer think? I do.
Bill, go and read my OP from 6 months ago. I asked an innocent/naive question. Umm, it's gone massively off topic. All the pertinant points were made by page 2 of this thread :shock:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:35 pm

Yeah yeah I know.

I was trying to keep it low key because it's actually getting beyond silly and edging toward nasty and I'd rather tap a bloke on the shoulder than smack him on the back of the head.

To be brutally honest, I'm thoroughly piffed with Shamino adding yet another religion to the world of cycling. Don't us mods have enough to do hosing down frame material threads?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:39 pm

ozzymac wrote:First di2 users can't cook now we are religious .......

And we are higher beings.

Well, does that mean that all mechanical shifter users have to kneel before the higher beings di2 users.

Oh I forgot....

Cheers

Your mate Explora brought up higher beings first Ozzy, because he couldn't argue the point, so attacked the man.

And thanks for confirming many disgruntled with mech don't know that a fine barrel adjustor can be adjusted while in the saddle.
Or alternatively, a 1/4 turn on the RD barrel adjustor when doing your lube is often all that's necessary. You do lube your chain don't you Ozzy?

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Johndec wrote:All the pertinant points were made by page 2 of this thread :shock:
except for
- Shimano's recommendation that daily riders charge their batteries weekly
- Keeping a battery above 50% charged is necessary to get maximum life expectancy.
- heat such as in a boot in summer signficantly shortens battery life.

So nanny nurse those batteries ladies and gents.

edit:
Let's not mention the cost differential of replacing a lectric RD or FD when a chain snaps and trashes them?
Seen it happen four times in the last few years.
Last edited by PawPaw on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:48 pm

PawPaw wrote:
Johndec wrote:All the pertinant points were made by page 2 of this thread :shock:
except for
- Shimano's recommendation that daily riders charge their batteries weekly
- Keeping a battery above 50% charged is necessary to get maximum life expectancy.
- heat such as in a boot in summer signficantly shortens battery life.

So nanny nurse those batteries ladies and gents.
Hohum..............

That's about all that needs said about that bit of rubbish.

Cheers

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:54 pm

sogood wrote:
Xplora wrote:Athena EPS is my trigger point for a new bike :)
You'll be waiting for a long long time I suspect. ;)
http://eps.campagnolo.com/en/collection/athena-eps

Ya didnt have to wait very long at all. Go forth and spend.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:56 pm

OK. Warning taken. It's been almost fun, but I'm out. Have fun "discussing".

qualos

Postby qualos » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:06 pm

Such a shame some of us tried to provide helpful information and one just tried to argue every point with no actual experience using Di2, troll status in most forums. I am out of this one :arrow:

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:27 pm

qualos wrote:Such a shame some of us tried to provide helpful information and one just tried to argue every point with no actual experience using Di2, troll status in most forums. I am out of this one :arrow:
Helpful information? Did you actually read the manual, or research what Shimano representatives say is required in managing Di2 batteries?
What makes you think I haven't tried Di2? and why is it relevant to the issues I've raised about battery longevity?

No one in this thread has significant experience with Di2 battery longevity, so none of you are qualified to contradict what Shimano says about their batteries, or what Li-ion battery experts say in general about the technology.

It's a pity some lectric heads can't discuss an emotive purchase unemotionally.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:35 pm

PawPaw wrote:
qualos wrote:Such a shame some of us tried to provide helpful information and one just tried to argue every point with no actual experience using Di2, troll status in most forums. I am out of this one :arrow:
Helpful information? Did you actually read the manual, or research what Shimano representatives say is required in managing Di2 batteries?
What makes you think I haven't tried Di2? and why is it relevant to the issues I've raised about battery longevity?

No one in this thread has significant experience with Di2 battery longevity, so none of you are qualified to contradict what Shimano says about their batteries, or what Li-ion battery experts say in general about the technology.

It's a pity some lectric heads can't discuss an emotive purchase unemotionally.
Maybe it's because the dribble you keep on posting concerning the battery can be found on just about any battery operated electronic device.

And at least we do actually have first hand knowledge of how the battery etc is actually performing without having to dig up so called facts.

Cheers

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:38 pm

rkelsen wrote:An outdated one. Most cars haven't had grease nipples on them since the 1970s, and they've been using sealed bearings for decades now. There is literally nothing to grease on any car made in the last 15 to 20 years.
Wheel bearings, cv joints, steering knuckles, sliding yokes on tailshafts, unis....
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Right that's it, I try to politely remind people to settle down and get ignored. BAD IDEA PEOPLE!

I've had enough of this religious claptrap and veiled abuse, thread locked.

More than one of you can think yourself lucky I have to get to bed or I'd be smacking heads. I still might do it if tomorrows review heats my blood again.

Shaun

Late edit, not you warthog.
London Boy 29/12/2011