"The Rules"

roller

Re: "The Rules"

Postby roller » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:33 am

Oxford wrote:
norbs wrote:
roller wrote: i ride past about 100 cyclists on my morning and then afternoon commute, do i have to wave at each one to avoid being labeled a douchebag? :?

:roll:

Every single last one of them. :)
yes you do, you lazy bugger, what's wrong with you? :wink:
"i just rode all the way to work and boy are my arms tired!"
inflammatory statement or idea

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:44 am

norbs wrote:
grasshopper wrote:
norbs wrote:I am so proud.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Check the end comments. :mrgreen:
Wow, VM and CT fame all at once. :lol: Your whole family must be proud. :)
They are thinking of having a throne made for me and commissioning an artist to do a huge painting for the front yard. :)
You don't already have a throne at your place? That must get uncomfortable at times...

Cheers
JM

whitey

Postby whitey » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:01 am

I reckon sometimes people overthink this stuff, I'm going to enjoy the ride rather than worry about what other people think/say/do. :D

See you on the road, hope I remember to wave 8)
Last edited by whitey on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:02 am

I wave at cyclists, while in my car ('cos I'm doing it easy) :lol:

My take, some "Rules" matter- some don't, whatever... you just don't talk about them.

Someone (with little or no experience) mentioned Merckx never existed, blasphemy.
He was put on this earth, by his "Father" in the great period in Cycling,
to show us the ways of competition, and lead the disciples by example. Amen.
Cheers
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:06 am

Ken Ho wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote:Is Shimano allowed under The Rules?

Yes, but IMSAO, should never be referred to as a "gruppo". Gruppo shall be used to refer to Campagnolo only. Shimano is Group-San and SRAM may be called dude-group or bro-set.
How do I nominate this rule to the Velominati ?
The nomination is made Ken! :lol:

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
Certified Brand Snob

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:44 am

Further to this Ken, a reply from The Keepers. 8)

"That’s…well…that’s wrong, but BRILLIANT. Could be the two IPA just shot down the hatch, no adult supervision tonight, you know.

It IS an Italian word, though, isn’t it? And Campagnolo is the only Italian Grouppo. It’s all horribly simple and muddled and crystal unclear, but I love the feel of it. Maybe not a Rule so much as Lexi entries and something for the Velominati to be snobbish about (because we don’t have enough), like insisting that Campagnolo is (in its pure form) only called Campagnonlo and by the savages it is called Campa. Campag and Campy is for the dogs. (I love dogs.)

But there is an admirable simplicity to it: “I loaded up my ride with some Group-Dude but for my cross rig – man, I love a good ol’ 9-speed Group-San. The steel’s got a Grouppo, naturally, as anything else would feel dirty.”

Simple, clean. And, to a certain mind, crystal clear as to which company we’re referring to."
Certified Brand Snob

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:01 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:Italian Grouppo
That would be "gruppo", grouppo is how Freds spell it cos they've got no sense of cycling culture :-)

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:06 pm

Full agreement Nickolai, that is a direct quote from one of the keepers, not my spelling. I've got more culture than a 10 day old tub of yogurt!
Certified Brand Snob

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:Further to this Ken, a reply from The Keepers. 8)

"That’s…well…that’s wrong, but BRILLIANT. Could be the two IPA just shot down the hatch, no adult supervision tonight, you know.

It IS an Italian word, though, isn’t it? And Campagnolo is the only Italian Grouppo. It’s all horribly simple and muddled and crystal unclear, but I love the feel of it. Maybe not a Rule so much as Lexi entries and something for the Velominati to be snobbish about (because we don’t have enough), like insisting that Campagnolo is (in its pure form) only called Campagnonlo and by the savages it is called Campa. Campag and Campy is for the dogs. (I love dogs.)

But there is an admirable simplicity to it: “I loaded up my ride with some Group-Dude but for my cross rig – man, I love a good ol’ 9-speed Group-San. The steel’s got a Grouppo, naturally, as anything else would feel dirty.”

Simple, clean. And, to a certain mind, crystal clear as to which company we’re referring to."
Wow, this could be the closest I ever get to my 15 seconds of fame.
Thanks for contacting the Keepers for me.
I shall go and light a candle in my Campagnolo shrine.
You have officially become your parents.

Nikolai

Postby Nikolai » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:57 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:I've got more culture than a 10 day old tub of yogurt!
LOL! Who are The Keepers anyway?

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:06 pm

Nikolai wrote:
The guys who run the Velominati site call themselves "The Keepers of the Cog", The Keepers for short.
Certified Brand Snob

khendar

Postby khendar » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:33 pm

A nice corollary to the Velominati Style Rules are the Onion's Cycling Safety Tips:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/bicycl ... tips,8077/

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:19 pm

khendar wrote:A nice corollary to the Velominati Style Rules are the Onion's Cycling Safety Tips:

Probably closer to the mark, really.
You have officially become your parents.

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:47 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:
Nikolai wrote:
The guys who run the Velominati site call themselves "The Keepers of the Cog", The Keepers for short.

Thanks for being one of the good guys over there. :)

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:59 pm

My pleasure Norbs. All good fun. Noticed the cranky dude who rode a Giant didn't have a comeback! I quite like the pisstake side of their site.
Certified Brand Snob

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:01 pm

khendar wrote:A nice corollary to the Velominati Style Rules are the Onion's Cycling Safety Tips:

:lol: :lol:
Some dude at The Onion wrote:Here are some tips for safe riding:

Bicycle-Safety Tips
  • Always use hand signals when turning at intersections. There's nothing motorists pay more attention to than hand signals from bicyclists.
  • Leaving your bike out in the ice and cold all winter may cause serious damage. But it makes a nice subject for the cover illustration of a short-fiction quarterly.
  • Always wear a helmet. If this makes you uncomfortable, think of the helmet as a crown and yourself as King Dorko.
  • Placing your feet firmly on the pedals of the bike will help reduce the "Wheee" sound emitted from your mouth while going downhill.
  • Insist on a bicycle made of solid matter. Liquid and vapor bikes are a passing fancy; argon frames are particularly shoddy.
  • Taking your bike in for a professional tune-up is a great way to waste $25.
  • Be sure to wear your seatbelt, even if just biking down to the corner store.
  • Fat-bottomed girls may be riding today, so look out for those beauties, oh, yeah.
  • Visibility is crucial when biking. Ride with a lit highway flare in each hand.
  • Every three to four weeks, lightly oil the chain. Then dip it in flour and fry it for a real taste treat.
  • As soon as you buy a bike, talk to your friends about how great Shimano crank sets and STX hubs are.
  • Does your city have adequate bike paths? If not, consider bitching about it to your local government for the next 40 years.
  • If rich, spoiled Francis Buxton steals your bike, go on a hilarious and heartwarming journey through the American Southwest to get it back.
  • Bike safety can never be stressed enough. If you doubt this, try stressing it as much as you possibly can. It won't be enough–guaranteed.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:59 am

Ken Ho wrote:
Daccordi Rider wrote:Further to this Ken, a reply from The Keepers. 8)

Wow, this could be the closest I ever get to my 15 seconds of fame.
Thanks for contacting the Keepers for me.
I shall go and light a candle in my Campagnolo shrine.

Ken,

Your fame is cemented for ever. Your suggestions have been entered into the lexicon. 8)

http://www.velominati.com/the-lexicon/
Certified Brand Snob

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed May 02, 2012 12:57 am

Love rule 57, No stickers. No one cares about what you buy or what cause you support - however the ENTIRETY of The Rules is about caring about what you buy :lol: