Track Frame ID: Petrus? Peter Brotherton?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Track Frame ID: Petrus? Peter Brotherton?

Postby Rusty62 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:54 pm

I have a track frame I purchased off ebay. wanting to repaint/restore it in original livery and take it out for a spin on the track. Unfortunately it has been repainted :? and the seller had no info on it apart from the fact that he bought it from Pete Lawson in Adelaide (I'm not too sure who he is/was) apparently it's not built by Pete Lawson. I have some pics here and have a feeling it may be a Petrus (built by Peter Brotherton) due to the clover-like cutouts/lugwork. I think someone said that Pete B used to do this to his frames. It has campagnolo dropouts but apart from, that, the clovers are the only distinguishing feature. there is no number on the bottom bracket shell but its possible it may be hidden under a thick layer of paint.

some info on PB
531db wrote:I'm not sure if RM was ever known as "The Professor' but one of his comtempory's was - Peter Brotherton.
PB was the World Championship pursuit silver medalist in 1954 for Great Britain and came to Australia for the Melbourne Olympics in 1956, liked it so much he stayed in Australia. He raced initially as an Amateur and then as a Pro winning the Bendigo Golden Mile in 1957. Latter on PB built some nice frames under the 'Petrus' name.
531db

Edited to reflect that PB is alive and well - see post by Blockchain hereunder.

I'm guessing it's a late 60s/early 70s model but I have no experience with track frames. If anyone could give me ANY clues as to frame material, year and particularly make, I would be stoked.

here are some pics, sorry for crappy phone quality, If anyone needs particular pics, just tell me and I'll snap some more.

Rusty62

by BNA » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:46 pm

BNA

Re: Track Frame ID: Petrus? Peter Brotherton?

Postby cotterpin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:46 pm

The lugs on your frame became available in Australia around mid 70's, same with the slotted pressed steel bracket shell, so the build date could be anywhere between 75' to 85'. Peter B brazed his frames using a method known as forge brazing or fire brazing, so if you look down inside the seat tube you should see a fairly large breather hole. This also made it possible for a builder to drop several pellets of brass/bronze inside the top tube when brazing the seat and top head lug.
The other possibility is that the frame maybe a Perkins. If you do a search on BNA (perkins frame) you'll see the the club/clover cut outs similar to those on your frame.
a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest
cotterpin

Postby cotterpin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:00 pm

cotterpin

Postby Rusty62 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:12 pm

Thankyou and sorry for the very (very!) late reply, I forgot to check this forum. The bike has been sitting idle for a while, only recently have I finished building it up. I will now look into getting some Petrus decals made up and a repaint done. pics to follow if people are interested.
Rusty62

Postby cotterpin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Better late than never. Pictures would be great.
Seeing as how you're getting a re-spray you might try scraping the paint off the inside
of the rear ends (dropouts), as a friend of mine recently discovered on his PETRUS,
Peter B had stamped his name on one of them.
I'd be interested to know whether Peter did this on more than one frame.
Cheers
cotterpin

Postby Rusty62 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Some Pics of it's current state

Fiamme red label rims laced to Zues gigante Pista Hubs (32 spokes, soldered and tied)
Gipiemme Cronospecial 100A1 Cranks - 51t chainring
3ttt bars, stem and post
Selle San Marco Concor reproduction saddle

Overall runs pretty nicely, albeit a little softer than my mate's modern track frame :p

And I will have a look on the inside of the rear ends when I get a chance. would be nice to see some more ID on the frame just to be sure :)
Rusty62

Postby floody » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:34 am

Nice! I have one too, similar era to yours looking at the BB shell (David Brotherton confirmed the origin of the frame and that they used the slotted BB shell up to 1979 then exclusively Cinelli after). Mine has less elaborate spear cut main lugs although the BB and fork crown have the clover lugs. However I would say the similarities (fork, BB shell, rear stays and ends details, seatstay/seat tube detail etc) are more numerous than the differences. Mine was originally a pale gold going off the remnants on the fork, in the bb and under chips on the frame, my fork ends and track ends are definitely chromed although how far this runs I am unsure, will be stripped for repaint soon.

Cyclomondo/Greg Softley has artwork to create new decals for these frames.

Mine has a mix of 7500/7600 Dura Ace, wolber tx-profils and Nitto cockpit. Has a turbo now and searching for a more correct seatpost (probably will buy a njs Nitto if I can't get a 7500 Dura-Ace one).

Out of interest, what size is your seatpost? I'm trying to figure out if mine is 26.8 that's spread a bit or 27.0 that's pinched.
floody

Postby Rusty62 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Ah, mine has a 27.2mm 3ttt seatpost that seems to fit correctly.
Rusty62

Postby floody » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:28 am

Awesome! Thanks for that. I finally bought some verniers (I'd been relying on what I was told by previous seller) and the post measures juuuuust under 27.2 so my guess is its 27.2 like yours, handy to confirm!
floody

Return to General discussion