Helmet cam news story (UK)

ajh_ausnzcf

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:19 pm

Anybody tried an all-in-one unit like that in the article?

Eg. VRHold

I'd be concerned about some psychopath wanting to smash the camera to prevent any record of potentially criminal behavior, also there are those paranoid people with a diatribe about big brother/gestapo type scenarios whenever records are taken. This camera could possibly be a tad asocial given the elements of society?

The units still look pretty chunky, maybe when they get inconspicuous I'll play with one.
Axles A Randonee O Noodle.

"Doc, just tell me straight ... am I going to die?"

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:20 pm

i have an ATC3K, with 4GB card, which is enough for nearly two hours of video. I have a 'good' relationship with the customer service rep for the local bus company. I have seen results - the number of close calls from buses have reduced. Mind you - they already have cameras mounted on the buses and that didn't seem to improve the driver behaviour, you actually have to complain.

The economy cameras use high compression and wide angle, which means number plates are not seen clearly unless you are less than about five metres and travelling at around the same speed. Good for slow moving traffic, but next to useless with high relative speeds.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Vivifyer

Postby Vivifyer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:36 pm

640x480 is the slightly worse quality than old handy cam, which was PAL D1 (720x576)

so its not too bad really. not so keen on strapping a newer $2500 high def handycam to my face :P

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:55 pm

Story of a guy (film maker) who had his (non-functioning) eye surgically removed (film footage - eek) and is now in the process of installing a camera in the socket.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/12/e ... lmmak.html

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell