Garmin Edge 500

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Garmin Edge 500

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Interesting responses guys.

I'm tossing up between the Bryton Rider 30 and the Garmin Edge 500 and trying to compare in what is easier for updates/reliability etc.

If I do go the Garmin way, looks like I will be better off waiting for the software version after 3.0.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
rpmspinman

by BNA » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:44 pm

BNA

Garmin Edge 500

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Does anyone here load gpx map files into their 500's ... I am thinking of getting one but wasn't sure how well this worked. Have some very complicated Belgium rides coming up which as a ride leader I need to know my way ;-) .
toolonglegs

Postby TimW » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:50 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Does anyone here load gpx map files into their 500's ... I am thinking of getting one but wasn't sure how well this worked. Have some very complicated Belgium rides coming up which as a ride leader I need to know my way ;-) .

Ian i think you need a higher Model to do the mapping thing. Ie a 7 or 8 series. To the best of my knowledge the 500 does not have that feature.Tim
TimW

Garmin Edge 500

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Yes but they are double the price :-( ... And I am pretty sure you can do it with the 500... Not the same level of maps as an 800 but a turn left 500 m sort of thing.
toolonglegs

Postby GraemeL » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:02 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Does anyone here load gpx map files into their 500's ... I am thinking of getting one but wasn't sure how well this worked. Have some very complicated Belgium rides coming up which as a ride leader I need to know my way ;-) .

You can't add maps to the 500 and you can't add a memory card, only the 800 accepts maps and also Micro Sd.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *
GraemeL

Garmin Edge 500

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:07 pm

But you can upload gpx files can't you?.
toolonglegs

Postby GraemeL » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:15 pm

no, it won't accept routes or waypoints, location or favourites

Graeme

GraemeL

Garmin Edge 500

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:17 pm

But it will follow a course... Gpx or tcx file... No as good as a map obviously if you get off course.
toolonglegs

Postby GraemeL » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:20 pm

It appears you might be able to using a TCX file....

An Edge 500 can use a TCX course file, exported from any mapped or previously ridden ride. If the TCX course file comes from a route which has a cuesheet, you will get turn by turn directions while riding the course.

I would contact Garmin explaining exactly what you want to do

Graeme

GraemeL

Garmin Edge 500

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Yes just been looking on some other forums and it appears it does... But with many issues... And garmin itself doesn't seem to be of much help... Probably not good enough for what I need.
toolonglegs

Postby GraemeL » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:20 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Yes just been looking on some other forums and it appears it does... But with many issues... And garmin itself doesn't seem to be of much help... Probably not good enough for what I need.

Do you Need a cycling specific GPS? I use a Garmin Oregon 550. It's water Proof, has a 16 hour battery life and It has all the data I need for cycling such as, Speed, Max Speed Over All Average. It also has the usual Odometer settings such as, Trip Total, Trip Time Moving, Trip Time Stopped etc etc. You also gt the HR and Cadence for it as well. You can use free maps or any 3rd party maps, create and edit routes tracks and way points etc.

Plus it can be used for other things like Geocaching, Hiking or Boating or anything else that a GPS can be used for.

Graeme

GraemeL

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:32 pm

Cheers Graeme, I looked at that one but it appears I can get the 800 for the same price... both blooming expensive though!... I have asked around if anyone has one to loan for a month as I would rather spend the 400 euros on a TT frame :lol: .
toolonglegs

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:57 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I would rather spend the 400 euros on a TT frame :lol: .

OT but that's cheap. chinese build?
jasonc

Garmin Edge 500

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Lol... No 400 euros towards a tt frame ...I wish you could get a good one for that price!.
toolonglegs

Postby BandedRail » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:46 pm

Hey TLL, you can convert GPX files (or almost any track file) into the Garmin CRS or TCX files via a number of free websites. I use GPSies.com, works fine. But (and its a big BUT) I've had no end of problems on Audax rides with the course line vanishing for several minutes at a time. Sometimes it will reappear by scrolling thorugh the pages back to the course page but sometimes that doesn't work either. Very frustrating because when it works it takes all the stress out of navigating a route, but when it doesn't it's back to the cue sheet (which is only as good as the person who wrote it :roll: ) Shame really as it's only a software issue that prevents the Edge 500 from doing everything I need (surely with all the computer geeks in the world now Garmin can employ a few good ones?)
BandedRail

Postby jasonc » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:47 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Lol... No 400 euros towards a tt frame ...I wish you could get a good one for that price!.

the word "towards" makes a big diff.
jasonc

Garmin Edge 500

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:51 pm

Yes that is what I would have thought to but I suppose that would make the 800's less popular... I suppose the next question is ( if I can't borrow one )... What can I run gps wise on an iPhone that I can import .gpx files into :-) .
toolonglegs

Postby sblack » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:30 pm

I use mine for Audax rides. I have found that courses created and uploaded using bike route toaster includes the cuesheet directions. They pop up (as well as the unit beeping) before the corner to warn you that it's coming up. You'll get an arrow indicating direction (or banana indicating food stop) as well as the text from the cue sheet. Files that I've exported from other mapping programs to gpx before converting to tcx don't keep their cue sheet information so you're left to follow the bread crumb trail style map of the course feature. I've used this to guide me through some unknown areas and it has saved me from getting lost and going off course but it's definitely a lot nicer and easier with the cue sheet prompts. I've also had the course line vanish like BandedRail mentioned on a couple of occasions although in my case it was something like 20 seconds before it reappeared. I've not had a case of a cue sheet prompt not being issued. It will also beep and give a message telling you if you're off course as well. Inaccurate gpx files can cause false off course warnings too. Most notably when the course has been setup on the wrong side of the road then areas of divided road tend to be off course.
sblack

Postby GraemeL » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:34 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Yes that is what I would have thought to but I suppose that would make the 800's less popular... I suppose the next question is ( if I can't borrow one )... What can I run gps wise on an iPhone that I can import .gpx files into :-) .

If you plan on using an Iphone, you will more than likely need to run a 3rd party app. Take a look at MotionX it seems to be what you are looking for It allows you to import GPX files into the program.

Here is another one called Trails ....
Import tracks from bikely.com, everytrail.com, mapmyrun.com through the easy search or import a GPX file from a URL
http://trails.lamouroux.de/

I haven't used these so I can't say what they are like.

Graeme

GraemeL

Garmin Edge 500

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:46 pm

Thank you both for all that info... More research needed now :-) .
toolonglegs

Postby sblack » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:23 am

Well, getting back to the orginal posts issue with the v3.0 firmware I decided to give mine a try last night. I deleted all activity files beforehand and all went fine. It did take several minutes to do the update but the screen always said what it was doing and usually had a progress bar to watch.
sblack

Postby silkishuge » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I have with my Edge 500. I had a hard hit out today and I managed to achieve a pretty good time. I came home interested to see how I went and attempted to up load the data on the computer. I went to the Garmin website and connected the USB cable to the Edge 500. I logged on as usual and clicked the upload button. The message I recieved is that no new activites were found. I went to the calender and no ride was registered today. I tried this a number of times with no luck. I checked the history on the Edge 500 and nothing was there for today. I am sure I turned on the Edge 500 for the ride. I turned it off when I got home and took note of the average speed, HR and distance so I am sure it was turned on and it was recording.
Has anyone had a similar problem before?

I hope someoe can help me restore the data. I really would like to know the stats for todays ride

Thanks
Jon
Jon's bikes.......
Reynolds 953 (warranty replacement, 7 months and waiting)
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Garmin Edge 500

Postby DuncanS » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Sounds like maybe you haven't reset after the ride. It won't appear in history until you reset, i.e. hold lap timer for 3s+
DuncanS

Garmin Edge 500

Postby CAAK » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Exact same process I followed. Smooth upgrade plus all tested ok. Phew..

CAAK..
CAAK

Postby silkishuge » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:33 pm

DuncanS wrote:Sounds like maybe you haven't reset after the ride. It won't appear in history until you reset, i.e. hold lap timer for 3s+

Thanks. I tried that and still could not retrieve the data. history still does not show the ride details. This is not the first time..... but I really wanted to know the data for this morning's ride. :( :(

Jon
Jon's bikes.......
Reynolds 953 (warranty replacement, 7 months and waiting)
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion