How far do you ride?

g-boaf

Re: How far do you ride?

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:45 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:I'm just at the same cafe yesterday on the same seat I was one yesterday's :lol:
Essentially did the same climb but I got there via Whitehorse road, the cars slightly friendlier.
But there was ONE 4x4 that was honking at me while waiting for the lights :shock:
All I did was flip him the bird and took off (lights were green Ofc)
Predictably he overtook me within 5 second.

Instead of having a latte and sausage roll like yesterday's, I'm waiting for a BLT while I'm enjoying my coco millshake :P
This time I DID bring my armwarmwrs :wink:
Never mind those 4wd people. I got it the other morning too. They are just trying to put you off your game.

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Mike Ayling wrote:
15wilsonwu wrote: hmm... i'll try your method and see how much i improve. :lol: Oh btw, it's pretty impressive that you can do such a long ride (at least i think it is lol) when you have a 16yo :P !
Not sure whether you are suggesting that Trailgumby may be past it having a sixteen year old but FWIW I rode 70km on my 70th birthday and 110km a few weeks later and ride more that 100km most weeks.

My average speed is not too flash however!

Mike

Haha, guess we have a kid and a grandpa here!
(If you don't mind being called grandpa :P )
2015 BMC TimeMachine TMR02
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:10 pm

g-boaf wrote:
15wilsonwu wrote:I'm just at the same cafe yesterday on the same seat I was one yesterday's :lol:
Essentially did the same climb but I got there via Whitehorse road, the cars slightly friendlier.
But there was ONE 4x4 that was honking at me while waiting for the lights :shock:
All I did was flip him the bird and took off (lights were green Ofc)
Predictably he overtook me within 5 second.

Instead of having a latte and sausage roll like yesterday's, I'm waiting for a BLT while I'm enjoying my coco millshake :P
This time I DID bring my armwarmwrs :wink:
Never mind those 4wd people. I got it the other morning too. They are just trying to put you off your game.

I'd just wish I have a Marauder (google it, add a "the" though) to honk at them and be like GET OUT OF MY BLOODY WAY!
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Its good and all but a bit big. I'd perfer one of these.

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:39 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Its good and all but a bit big. I'd perfer one of these.

:lol: :lol:
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:40 pm

Umm, im just wondering had anyone here thought "hmmm, perhaps i should try out another diciplin" or "hmmm, how can i spice up my cycling life" or even "hmmm, road riding is getting a bit boeing" and but still sticks to road riding? :|

If you didnt get what i mean, maybe this can clear things.
So, right now i enjoy road riding, i love road riding but theres this feeling that... theres an unexplainable "thing" towards road riding.
you know what i mean? It's not getting bored, but it's getting "insert something unexplainabe"

Has anyone here had this experience? :?

wait.... or is it just upgradeitus :?
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 pm

I am 39 years older than you but I've enjoyed RB riding for about 6 years and only managed about 136,000 km on sealed roads. :wink:

Keep up the good work and go where the Karma is. :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:52 pm

Sounds like N+1 time Wilson.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:01 am

I have no hope of competing with you guys on distance. So I focus on hours riding to make my relatively modest distance seem bigger. :mrgreen:

I managed around 800 hours last year. I managed around 600 the year before with several months off for shoulder surgery. Pretty much all the year was in a sling which is not as easy but it is way better than trying the same on a bicycle.

So, feeling satisfied with that, but then I head onto this thread RIGHT AFTER CAVEBEAR HAS POSTED! Not good timing. Cavebear in the time that I have been paying attention, does around 30,000km each year. (Gee Perry, doing the maths you must have been really slack in those first few years. :roll:

So, knowing that he does so much Audax riding, I reckon that Perry does somewhere over 1200 hours a year and likely more. About equivalent to a four day working week.

For the record 2012 was 7843km (or was it 7834?) So far I am on schedule for another big year.

Perry - out of idle curiousity how many hours DO you ride?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:03 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I have no hope of competing with you guys on distance. So I focus on hours riding to make my relatively modest distance seem bigger. :mrgreen:

I managed around 800 hours last year. I managed around 600 the year before with several months off for shoulder surgery. Pretty much all the year was in a sling which is not as easy but it is way better than trying the same on a bicycle.

So, feeling satisfied with that, but then I head onto this thread RIGHT AFTER CAVEBEAR HAS POSTED! Not good timing. Cavebear in the time that I have been paying attention, does around 30,000km each year. (Gee Perry, doing the maths you must have been really slack in those first few years. :roll:

So, knowing that he does so much Audax riding, I reckon that Perry does somewhere over 1200 hours a year and likely more. About equivalent to a four day working week.

For the record 2012 was 7843km (or was it 7834?) So far I am on schedule for another big year.

Perry - out of idle curiousity how many hours DO you ride?
Not many, not many kilometres either. My strava is showing zero for the last time period. And although I have done a couple of small rides of 20-25km after the accident, it's just at slower speeds of 25km/h average. Just doesn't interest me. I'm not happy unless I'm going quicker and at least working up a sweat. Just need the leg to fully heal over then I can do that.

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:38 am

The last 3 years have been good ones for me: I did 16,000, 14,000 and 18,000km respectively. Last year was the best ever, because in addition to the horizontal distance where I average just under 350km per week, the climbing was over 260,000m. Caused quite a bit of wear on bike parts, though.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:07 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:Umm, im just wondering had anyone here thought "hmmm, perhaps i should try out another diciplin" or "hmmm, how can i spice up my cycling life" or even "hmmm, road riding is getting a bit boeing" and but still sticks to road riding? :|

So, right now i enjoy road riding, i love road riding but theres this feeling that... theres an unexplainable "thing" towards road riding.
you know what i mean? It's not getting bored, but it's getting "insert something unexplainabe"

Change it up a bit somehow.

I believe the same thing happens with most long term things. The initial novelty factor (let's call it lust) has worn off and you're now in the comfortable (love) phase where you like it but it doesn't give you the thrill you once had. Sounds like a relationship. :lol:

Do you ride in a group? If you don't maybe some good old social interaction once every couple of weeks or so will get you motivated again? Or if you are training by yourself, maybe a couple of lessons with a professional coach to get some pointers and new workouts (do they do this in cycling)? Or even try the track if one is close-by.

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:44 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Sounds like N+1 time Wilson.
N+1? I just got a new frame! :shock:
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Summernight wrote:
15wilsonwu wrote:Umm, im just wondering had anyone here thought "hmmm, perhaps i should try out another diciplin" or "hmmm, how can i spice up my cycling life" or even "hmmm, road riding is getting a bit boeing" and but still sticks to road riding? :|

Change it up a bit somehow.

I believe the same thing happens with most long term things. The initial novelty factor (let's call it lust) has worn off and you're now in the comfortable (love) phase where you like it but it doesn't give you the thrill you once had. Sounds like a relationship. :lol:

Do you ride in a group? If you don't maybe some good old social interaction once every couple of weeks or so will get you motivated again? Or if you are training by yourself, maybe a couple of lessons with a professional coach to get some pointers and new workouts (do they do this in cycling)? Or even try the track if one is close-by.
Yea, I tried out track after my school organized a Come n' Try day.
I found it pretty cool, but it's gonna take me a million years to save up for a track bike...
I know there are rental bikes, but for the long run, buying a bike would be more cost effective.
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:49 pm

i ride a roadie

mon - fri: to work 20km with 550 ms of climbing
mon - thurs: after work 40-60km
sat - sun: 100kms each day
when do we stop for coffee???

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:17 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:
A different type of bike, alternating disciplines will help keep mind and body sharp.

I'd been getting a bit meh of road riding lately (pedal pedal pedal, black stuff whizzing by underneath, yawn) and spending more time on the MTB, until I got a FG. Nowadays I'm rarely getting big miles in on any one bike but I often head out for some MTB trail or urban assault work in the morning, commute and then throw down 45-60" on the FG when I get home. The roadie gets out for a 50-60km run a few times a month. Not the biggest numbers and I'll never win any races but I'm happy and that's the bottom line for me riding.

Heck, why not try a Uni? :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

AKO

Postby AKO » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:46 pm

I have been riding since this time last year when I bought my first bike since I was 17 (now 37). I purchased a MS MTB not being sure whether I wanted to ride on the road or off it. Found I spent most of my time on the road so bought my second bike in July, an Oppy C5. I rode roughly 2500ks last year and have done about 600 so far this year. I work a 5 on, 5 off roster and my work takes me away from home for those 5 days so I only get to ride 5 days out of every 10. I try to get on the bike (usually the roadie) every day I'm home and try to do no less than 30 klms each ride. I ride purely for fun and fitness as I can't commute. I really wish I had of discovered the joys of riding long ago :cry:
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:04 pm

FG?

boss

Postby boss » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 pm

Summernight wrote:FG?
= fixed gear

I ride between 250-300km a week on average on the roadie. All in the hills, so it's between 10-15 hours a week. Elevation is usually 4500m according to my garmin.

I also ride my BMX around 8 hours a week but don't clock the k's on it.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:26 am

boss wrote:
Summernight wrote:FG?
= fixed gear

I ride between 250-300km a week on average on the roadie. All in the hills, so it's between 10-15 hours a week. Elevation is usually 4500m according to my garmin.

I also ride my BMX around 8 hours a week but don't clock the k's on it.
This is the thing isn't it? Mix up what you do and you won't go stale.
London Boy 29/12/2011

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:10 am

Mulger bill wrote:
15wilsonwu wrote:
A different type of bike, alternating disciplines will help keep mind and body sharp.

I'd been getting a bit meh of road riding lately (pedal pedal pedal, black stuff whizzing by underneath, yawn) and spending more time on the MTB, until I got a FG. Nowadays I'm rarely getting big miles in on any one bike but I often head out for some MTB trail or urban assault work in the morning, commute and then throw down 45-60" on the FG when I get home. The roadie gets out for a 50-60km run a few times a month. Not the biggest numbers and I'll never win any races but I'm happy and that's the bottom line for me riding.

Heck, why not try a Uni? :wink:
Only I had the money :(
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:12 am

You could easily build up a cheap fixie Wilson. If you do shop/industrial skills/manufacturing or something of the like at school you could even make it a project.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:13 pm

Crowz wrote:You could easily build up a cheap fixie Wilson. If you do shop/industrial skills/manufacturing or something of the like at school you could even make it a project.
This.
London Boy 29/12/2011

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:55 pm

Crowz wrote:You could easily build up a cheap fixie Wilson. If you do shop/industrial skills/manufacturing or something of the like at school you could even make it a project.
Ooo, i research into this. Ive recently sold my old frame so ill probably have to source a new one.
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:22 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:
Ooo, i research into this. Ive recently sold my old frame so ill probably have to source a new one.
I'd suggest a crappy old frame to see if you like it first, especially if you're on a budget.