Incremental or "Max" testing in Perth

Dunk

Incremental or "Max" testing in Perth

Postby Dunk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:32 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know of a place to have incremental testing done in Perth. I had these done regularly before moving here and would like to continue.

Something like this:
Incremental (or "Max") Test
For people who already have a good level of fitness and/or are more serious about their training (recreational athletes up to elite level athletes), an incremental or stepped test to exhaustion is available (this is also sometimes referred to as a "max test").

In the incremental test, the workload is gradually increased in steps until the athlete is unable to continue. During each workload, heart rate, blood lactate accumulation, and power output is measured and recorded

At the conclusion of the test, this information is analysed and a report is produced summarising the results from the test (heart rate response and lactate accumulation for different workloads, maximum heart rate, lactate and anaerobic threshold). Most importantly, the report also outlines the heart rate zones that the athlete should target for different types of training in order to maximise performance.

It is recommended that the test be repeated at least 4 times a year. As your fitness level changes, so do your ideal training zones.

The follow-up tests are utilised to track progress in fitness as well as to design new training zones or amend the existing ones, as need be. The results can also be used to assess the overall effectiveness of the athlete's training program and to assist in planning the annual training program and racing season.

The information provided by the tests is very useful for athletes of all levels - from the recreational to elite. Training at the incorrect intensity (heart rate or power output) is ineffective and can even be harmful.

The basic and the "max" test have an approximate duration of 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Aushiker

Re: Incremental or "Max" testing in Perth

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:50 am

Dunk wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know of a place to have incremental testing done in Perth. I had these done regularly before moving here and would like to continue.
Sounds like a stress test. Done on a treadmill?

Andrew

Dunk

Postby Dunk » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:14 am

Usually done on a stationary bike attached to computer to control resistance levels, while blood samples are taken to gauge lactate levels...it hurts alot.

vovo

Postby vovo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:07 pm

sounds like a super fancy Beep test, where did you used get it done (where did you move from) sounds like something i might want to get done once a year or so.

I find that when you know that fitness training at a certain range is truly beneficial, it really motivates you to train harder. However the only way i have of determining my ranges is on my HRM (Nike Triax C6) about a 10min test which will not take into account much of the extra stuff (eg. lactate) it is a lot more subjective as the HRM says exercise so you can just hold a conversation while training, then exercise at a level you can hold for only 2mins these are fairly hard to determine by yourself.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:18 pm

Ramp test. Similar idea to stress tests but much more aggressive and don't stop until you are really pooped.

I have looked into this in the past and you can have it done at those sports institutes near you. In Sydney, NSWIS and related sporting academic organizations can do it for a fee. Some commercial gyms also have something similar.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

JB

Postby JB » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:19 pm

I've heard that they recommend not doing this test if you are over a certain age...can't remember exactly - something like 45 yrs for men because it put a lot strain on the old ticker...

update: here's a link from cyclecoach.com that makes mention of a max age 35 for a Maximal aerobic power (MAP) Test.

http://www.cyclecoach.com/pageID-news-Test_yourself.htm

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:26 pm

JB wrote:update: here's a link from cyclecoach.com that makes mention of a max age 35 for a Maximal aerobic power (MAP) Test.
What the?!? Another of my avenue for euthanasia got closed off. :twisted: :lol: :lol:

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:44 pm

I would contact the sport science areas in ECU and Curtin. They would definitely have something (I've seen photos!!), but not sure if it is available to the general public. Worth a try though.

Dunk

Postby Dunk » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:59 pm

vovo wrote:sounds like a super fancy Beep test, where did you used get it done (where did you move from) sounds like something i might want to get done once a year or so.

I find that when you know that fitness training at a certain range is truly beneficial, it really motivates you to train harder.
I used to have it done by Radek Valenta from Zoom in Zones in North Manly (can't post link - not enough posts). It provides very accurate measurement of heart rate zones and accurate measurement of where your current LT and AT is. The advantage of having the test done regularly is that these thresholds change with training.

jr1991

Postby jr1991 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:42 pm

Most uni's with an exercise physiology lab will do it for a fee. Or as sogood said your local institute of sport. Can be pricey!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:58 pm

Dunk wrote:
vovo wrote:sounds like a super fancy Beep test, where did you used get it done (where did you move from) sounds like something i might want to get done once a year or so.

I find that when you know that fitness training at a certain range is truly beneficial, it really motivates you to train harder.
I used to have it done by Radek Valenta from Zoom in Zones in North Manly (can't post link - not enough posts). It provides very accurate measurement of heart rate zones and accurate measurement of where your current LT and AT is. The advantage of having the test done regularly is that these thresholds change with training.
I won a voucher at a race in 2005 to get a max test with Radek...never did it...would be keen to do it one day.But I am over 35 :shock:

Dunk

Postby Dunk » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm over 35 also, I can't see why this would be an issue, it's really no harder than riding a hard race or interval training :?

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:48 am

Dunk wrote:I'm over 35 also, I can't see why this would be an issue, it's really no harder than riding a hard race or interval training :?
Liability issues perhaps? Do they make you sign your life away beforehand?

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:18 am

Yes, liability. With stress testing used in the medical field, a resuscitation kit is always nearby along with supervision by trained personnel. These sports testing facilities won't be similarly equipped.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:53 am

I can get a higher heart rate on a ride than I can ever get on a machine....so personally i wouldnt be worried about having a heart croak in the tests :lol:

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:01 am

toolonglegs wrote:I can get a higher heart rate on a ride than I can ever get on a machine....so personally i wouldnt be worried about having a heart croak in the tests :lol:
You know that's unscientific, right? Maybe they need to bring out a bigger whip for you in the gym. :lol:

senator52

Postby senator52 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:09 pm

I reckon UWA would do it as well, Im pretty sure Ive seen something pretty similar done to a runner down there before.