Some times you need to be reminded how much fitter you are

jr1991

Postby jr1991 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:25 pm

If I ate that much I'd be the size of a house! you must have a fast metabolism!

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:35 pm

Sounds like a close to perfect diet to me. No, definitely not too much, if the portions are not too big.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:38 pm

Well the answer to you question is "do you want to add weight or loose weight" In a nut shell its pretty much about calories in vs calories out.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

eucryphia

Postby eucryphia » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:28 pm

jr1991 wrote:If I ate that much I'd be the size of a house! you must have a fast metabolism!
Sure you didn't miss the "or"s :?:

I don't have the cereal 'and ' the B&E...maybe I should :?:

eucryphia

Postby eucryphia » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:47 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Well the answer to you question is "do you want to add weight or loose weight" In a nut shell its pretty much about calories in vs calories out.
I'm sure my weight loss, 10 kg in 1 yr, is a combination of less calories and increased burning.

I'm aiming for two things; increased strength and fitness and to reduce my metabolic insulin resistance. I'm not aiming for any ideal weight.

I expect at first I would lose weight as fat, counteracted by increased muscle mass (allowing for density differences), eventually I would reach some minimum body fat % and then as I build muscle I should increase my weight. Maybe I haven't yet reached the tipping point yet.

acw

Postby acw » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:41 am

In response to the subject of this topic, I thought I was doing pretty good after about 6 weeks on the bike. I'm feeling fitter, stronger and a little lighter.

But after a few laps of Centennial Park yesterday I had a couple of guys scream past me up the hill. So, just when you think you're getting fitter, you realise there's a long way to go...

eucryphia

Postby eucryphia » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:13 pm

acw wrote:So, just when you think you're getting fitter, you realise there's a long way to go...
mikesbytes knows a lot more about this than me...but here are my thoughts;

It's a dynamic thing, bouncing between what I call my limiting factors; strength, aerobic capacity and recovery time. At first your legs are sore, they eventually get stronger and then your aerobic capacity becomes limiting, as your aerobic capacity recovers and gets a bit stronger you can go that little bit faster. Then something else pops up, your neck gets sore, your hand nerves get sore and so on, then your legs get sore again, continually bouncing between the various changing limiting factors.

As you get fitter you find that you don't take as long to recover and the frequency of change quickens. I suspect most training schedules anticipate this and exploit it. Interval training comes to mind.

Just read the signals your body is sending out and adapt. Make sure you allow time for your body to recover. I overdid it a few times and had to give it up for a week and catch the bus, 6 weeks is not long enough to experience all this, more like a year.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:21 pm

There's always someone fitter, faster, thiner, whatever.

eucryphia's answer is a good one.

In 2004 I thought I was pretty fit, but I'm a lot fitter nowadays.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:02 pm

mikesbytes wrote:There's always someone fitter, faster, thiner, whatever.
This is why you should go on rides with people who talk up how fit/fast they are, because usually if they say it it means they're not. The only people who really think they're fast, are people who don't ride with anyone faster and never get pushed.

If someone says they're not that fit/not quick, then be wary! ;)

jr1991

Postby jr1991 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:34 pm

eucryphia wrote:
jr1991 wrote:If I ate that much I'd be the size of a house! you must have a fast metabolism!
Sure you didn't miss the "or"s :?:

I don't have the cereal 'and ' the B&E...maybe I should :?:
Compared to my diet, that is a lot more. However what I eat and what you eat is largely irrelevant. You need to eat to match your metabolic requirements and it sounds like you're doing great!
I try to not compare my fitness to others but set goals for myself. I run and ride with groups so there's always someone who's fitter, but luckily there's usually others not quite as fit 8)