HOLY !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

RonK

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby RonK » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:50 pm

rustguard wrote:Until the witnesses are named and testimony given its impossible to offer a verdict.
The witnesses have been named and the testimony given, and the USADA has reached it's verdict. Understandably they didn't release this information to you (or anyone else not directly involved) for your considered opinion.

And let me remind you once again of the charges.
The anti-doping rule violations for which Mr Armstrong is being sanctioned are:

1) Use and/or attempted use of prohibited substances and/or methods including EPO, blood transfusions, testosterone, corticosteroids and masking agents.

2) Possession of prohibited substances and/or methods including EPO, blood transfusions and related equipment (such as needles, blood bags, storage containers and other transfusion equipment and blood parameters measuring devices), testosterone, corticosteroids and masking agents.

3) Trafficking of EPO, tes-tosterone, and corticosteroids.

4) Administration and/or attempted administration to others of EPO, testosterone, and cortisone.

5) Assisting, encouraging, aiding, abetting, covering up and other complicity involving one or more anti-doping rule violations and/or attempted anti-doping rule violations.’
Charges 2,3,4 and 5 are more serious than the first, and don't rely on testing. It's these charges for which LA gets a lifetime ban. The first is only worth two years.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:08 pm

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/usada-r ... trong-case

I've never really liked Liggett much but this is just stupid. The man is far past it he should just retire while he has any credibility (though i think that horse may have bolted ). He has clearly grabbed a copy of Armstrong's press release and started regurgitating. Ashenden as usual is quite spot on

Also David Millar's take

"Everybody should watch the @PhilLiggett interview. For me he is not the "Voice of Cycling".”

And Vaughters

'@PhilLiggett...Yes, I lied about doping. I actually didnt dope. A bunch. And stuff...Yeah...That's the ticket!'
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:51 pm

RonK wrote:The witnesses have been named and the testimony given, and the USADA has reached it's verdict. Understandably they didn't release this information to you (or anyone else not directly involved) for your considered opinion.
I must have missed that Ron, can you tell me where any of the people directly involved, such as Armstrong et al or the UCI have been given the names of witnesses or the testimony. So far as I am aware the only thing anyone outside of the USADA have been given is the charging document, described by the Federal Court as so vague and unhelpful it would not pass muster in any court in the United States.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:10 pm

It doesn't need to "pass muster" in any court in the USA.
USADA haven't released anything because there are still cases pending.
Pretty simple really.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:49 pm

toolonglegs wrote:It doesn't need to "pass muster" in any court in the USA.
Pretty simple really.
Which in common pub language is "soft/weak/gutless"

Sure, it's all legal stuff, and that's fair enough, but you don't go public with all this stuff if you don't have the ability to actually put your money where your mouth is.

alex

Postby alex » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:22 pm

Xplora wrote:
Pretty simple really.
then what is pub language for "not going to arbitration because it would make all the evidence public very quickly/had enough of fighting"?
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:08 pm

Xplora wrote:
Pretty simple really.

Sure, it's all legal stuff, and that's fair enough, but you don't go public with all this stuff if you don't have the ability to actually put your money where your mouth is.
I suspect you are suffering cognitive dissonance.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:20 pm

Not sure if this velocast podcast has been linked/mentioned yet. Apologies if it has, I found it interesting.

http://velocastcc.squarespace.com/race- ... ition.html

Jim

mrs slocombe's pussy

Postby mrs slocombe's pussy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:28 pm

[quote="rustguard"]so 1999 samples tested positive for EPO but procedures were so corupted the results were unusable. Well interesting because LA actually won the TDF more than once so that leaves at least another 6 years of B samples for testing under rigorus standards? If EPO can now be detected and If LA is so guilty why has nothing surfaced?

the tests were not corrupted.....he didn't get done for testing of the 1999 B samples because you have to fail both the A and B sample......that's the whole point of the B sample, to ensure nothing was done wrong with the A sample. Tyler Hamilton got off on a positive result because the B sample had been frozen and hence destroyed.

weird that the corrupted results resulted in 6 positives for Lance and 6 for the rest of the whole peloton....what are the chances!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:20 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Xplora wrote:
Pretty simple really.

:lol:

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:44 pm

Apologies if it was posted before, but here's Lance's PA's view on Lance: My Life with Lance Armstrong

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:57 pm

^^Not much substance in that article. Why are all these people suddenly coming out to say stuff like "We saw Lance doing EPO back in 199X/20XX". Where were these people back then, why not report this to authorities back then? Not saying Lance is innocent, but then of course I have no evidence either way, only what I read in the media.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Ross wrote:^^Not much substance in that article. Why are all these people suddenly coming out to say stuff like "We saw Lance doing EPO back in 199X/20XX". Where were these people back then, why not report this to authorities back then? Not saying Lance is innocent, but then of course I have no evidence either way, only what I read in the media.
Anderson actually did do it back then. So did a few others. They're coming out now saying "See, we weren't lying!"

zero

Postby zero » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:25 pm

mrs slocombe's pussy wrote: weird that the corrupted results resulted in 6 positives for Lance and 6 for the rest of the whole peloton....what are the chances!
I'm going to guess that winning 3 time trials and a mountain stage gets you more drug tests. The other particularly high profile rider (winning flat stages) during the race was Cipollini and his samples would be more likely to test positive to hairgel.

This was also not about "corrupted samples", there simply was not an epo test in 1999, the b-samples were retested later when there was. Alone they are probably not enough to convict the guy due to the due processes of the times, but they are absolutely sufficient reason to start an investigation and seek sufficient overall evidence for a conviction.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:53 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Xplora wrote:
Pretty simple really.

Not at all, just stating that the legal process occurs in the public space, and if you cannot bring all the evidence into the public space with you when you make an accusation against a famous figure (using weasel words like cases pending etc) then you should keep that accusation to yourself. Resolve your cases, then .....not very nice bit removed (be nice).... :mrgreen:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:02 pm

If it were a legal case been tested in a US court then he would have all the information.
But it isn't.
It is still following the procedure that he agreed to when taking a license.
He could of contested it if there was nothing to the allegations.
Suddenly the man that conquers everything can't be bothered fighting a case with no basis... yes of course.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:19 am

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-ad ... tml?page=1

Hamilton's book coming out soon, should make interesting reading.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:38 pm

RICHARDH wrote:http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-ad ... tml?page=1

Hamilton's book coming out soon, should make interesting reading.
I wonder if this version of Hamilton's story will be any better than the last 3-4 time he told us the 'truth'.

I don't believe that Lance did not use PED's but I would like to see the facts come out from a more reputable sore.

Hamilton, and Floyd for that manner, are so badly tainted with changing story's and acts of fraud that they could say the sky is blue and my first thought would be that its a lie

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:01 am

I can understand that , but nine other people have agreed with this version of events

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:16 am

Xplora wrote:Which in common pub language is "soft/weak/gutless"

Sure, it's all legal stuff, and that's fair enough, but you don't go public with all this stuff if you don't have the ability to actually put your money where your mouth is.....the legal process occurs in the public space, and if you cannot bring all the evidence into the public space with you when you make an accusation against a famous figure (using weasel words like cases pending etc) then you should keep that accusation to yourself. Resolve your cases, then .....not very nice bit removed (be nice).... :mrgreen:
Using pub language about this sort of stuff is a bit like the pub language that says all cyclists are lycra hoons who should be paying rego. It can simply be shorthand for not knowing what is going on, for not having done research, and not giving people the respect one expects for oneself.

People could probably complain about your profession or trade with pub language too, but that may just be because they don't know how it works. I bet I don't know everything about what you do for a living so why should you or I know exactly how USADA should operate and why they work like that?

My degree is in this area, I did a thesis on the laws applying to sporting bodies and I have worked as a regulator and investigator for years and yet it would take me ages to work out whether USADA was really operating correctly, so with respect I can't see how it can be so easy for someone from the outside to waltz into a pub and say "I'm an expert on US administrative law and I know incontrovertibly that USADA are crap." Anyone who could do that would be earning a fortune at the bar.

Running a regulatory body and an investigation is a complex exercise in which many conflicting factors have to be balanced. You have to encourage people to give evidence, but also give people the chance to rebut it. You have to be able to dig deep into lives without destroying them. This is NOT easy and to be honest it gets a bit frustrating when people who have never done it show such contempt for those who do. As in any job, there are problems that people on the outside do not know about and there are reasons why things are done the way they are, although as in any job human factors do come into play and there are mistakes - which is why there are avenues such as arbitration which Lance has decided not to take.

Many legal matters are not fought out in the public space. NDAs etc are very common. Even when an regulator releases a decision or a court comes to a decision they do not release every bit of evidence to the public. I have seen pics of bodies doing things, or bits of bodies, that were used as evidence that you would not want on the front page of your paper, believe me. :cry:

"Case pending" is not a weazel word, it is a statement of the fact that a case is coming up. What is the alternative to ASADA saying things like "case pending"?

Exactly what do you want a body such as ASADA to say when they are preparing a case and the press asks for info, if they do not use such "weazel words"?
Do you want them to say "we refuse to confirm or deny that we are contemplating a case" or something similar? Surely that is more "weazelly" than "case pending". Or do you want them to lie to the public? These things do tend to get a lot more public in America, but that seems to go both ways.

Armstrong's side has made many attacks on witnesses, as any quick Google shows, and therefore USADA's claim that they are protecting witnesses doesn't seem to be unreasonable.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:43 am

Chris249 wrote:My degree is in this area, I did a thesis on the laws applying to sporting bodies and I have worked as a regulator and investigator for years and yet it would take me ages to work out whether USADA was really operating correctly, so with respect I can't see how it can be so easy for someone from the outside to waltz into a pub and say "I'm an expert on US administrative law and I know incontrovertibly that USADA are crap." Anyone who could do that would be earning a fortune at the bar.

Running a regulatory body and an investigation is a complex exercise in which many conflicting factors have to be balanced. You have to encourage people to give evidence, but also give people the chance to rebut it. You have to be able to dig deep into lives without destroying them. This is NOT easy and to be honest it gets a bit frustrating when people who have never done it show such contempt for those who do. As in any job, there are problems that people on the outside do not know about and there are reasons why things are done the way they are, although as in any job human factors do come into play and there are mistakes - which is why there are avenues such as arbitration which Lance has decided not to take.

Many legal matters are not fought out in the public space. NDAs etc are very common. Even when an regulator releases a decision or a court comes to a decision they do not release every bit of evidence to the public. I have seen pics of bodies doing things, or bits of bodies, that were used as evidence that you would not want on the front page of your paper, believe me. :cry:

"Case pending" is not a weazel word, it is a statement of the fact that a case is coming up. What is the alternative to ASADA saying things like "case pending"?

Exactly what do you want a body such as ASADA to say when they are preparing a case and the press asks for info, if they do not use such "weazel words"?
Do you want them to say "we refuse to confirm or deny that we are contemplating a case" or something similar? Surely that is more "weazelly" than "case pending". Or do you want them to lie to the public? These things do tend to get a lot more public in America, but that seems to go both ways.

Armstrong's side has made many attacks on witnesses, as any quick Google shows, and therefore USADA's claim that they are protecting witnesses doesn't seem to be unreasonable.
A well-reasoned response, not dripping with pub talk or emotional claptrap.

It's astonishing that some seem believe USADA should publish chapter and verse of the testimony and evidence before the case is concluded. But of course what they are hoping for is some names that they sledge and attempt to discredit.

It will be interesting to see how quickly George Hincapie, who is probably the most respected, admired and credible of American professional cyclists after only Armstrong, is turned on and reviled and his credibility once his part in the evidence becomes known.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:55 am

RICHARDH wrote:I can understand that , but nine other people have agreed with this version of events
And they are?

As far as I have seen not one single other person has been confirmed as making a statement. More importantly none of those hinted at have confirmed the content of a statement.

Until USADA hand out facts its all hearsay.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:58 am

RICHARDH wrote:I can understand that , but nine other people have agreed with this version of events
Members of a mob usually agree with each other too. So I don't think this is an adequate basis for a ruling except in a media trial.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

zero

Postby zero » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:13 pm

sogood wrote:
Members of a mob usually agree with each other too. So I don't think this is an adequate basis for a ruling except in a media trial.
There was in fact a hearing planned where the process of identifying the witnesses and hearing their statements was to take place, but someone went to great lengths to not show up.

Whilst that someone would like us to believe its a kangeroo court, the reality is the arbitratration panel was to be made up of 1 person nominated by armstrong, 1 person nonimated by usada and 1 nuetral agreeable to both parties, and I'm sure the witness statements would have been provided to armstrong in advance and he'd have a fair idea what they may say during arbitration (and if ironclad defences like he wasn't even there at the time applied, then he'd have been able to indicate that).

He also had right of appeal to CAS.

Also I am not unhappy with the process that puts many witnesses in front of a tribunal, and armstrongs rep would rapidly shoot down any hearsay. (ie we'd know pretty quick if it was 9 witnesses or 2 witneesses with 7 people that were parroting one of the 2 stories).

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:26 pm

sogood wrote:
I was actually talking about the comment by the person that wrote that article, he said that HE had spoken to 9 people that had confirmed the story Hamilton had given. I understand that there is some skepticism with Hamilton he is tainted goods but the fact is there are so many others willing to back up that story ( and its highly unlikely that there all drug cheats, in fact Hincapie went out of his way to not deny being one of the 10 to testify against LA ) gives it alot more creditability. Certainly when you look at Armstrong's reluctance to go to Arbitration.