HOLY !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

The 2nd Womble

HOLY !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:17 pm

From Cycling Central on Twitter now!

"Lance Armstrong has accepted his life ban and will lose all his Tour de France titles. More to come soon."
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

twizzle

Re: HOLY showtime!!! Amstrong accepts life ban!!!

Postby twizzle » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:26 pm

I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Chef

Postby Chef » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:27 pm

"Statement by Lance Armstrong

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a two-year federal criminal investigation followed by Travis Tygart's unconstitutional witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today - finished with this nonsense. I had hoped that a federal court would stop USADA's charade. Although the court was sympathetic to my concerns and recognized the many improprieties and deficiencies in USADA's motives, its conduct, and its process, the court ultimately decided that it could not intervene.

If I thought for one moment that by participating in USADA's process, I could confront these allegations in a fair setting and - once and for all - put these charges to rest, I would jump at the chance. But I refuse to participate in a process that is so one-sided and unfair. Regardless of what Travis Tygart says, there is zero physical evidence to support his outlandish and heinous claims. The only physical evidence here is the hundreds of controls I have passed with flying colors. I made myself available around the clock and around the world. In-competition. Out of competition. Blood. Urine. Whatever they asked for I provided. What is the point of all this testing if, in the end, USADA will not stand by it?

From the beginning, however, this investigation has not been about learning the truth or cleaning up cycling, but about punishing me at all costs. I am a retired cyclist, yet USADA has lodged charges over 17 years old despite its own 8-year limitation. As respected organizations such as UCI and USA Cycling have made clear, USADA lacks jurisdiction even to bring these charges. The international bodies governing cycling have ordered USADA to stop, have given notice that no one should participate in USADA's improper proceedings, and have made it clear the pronouncements by USADA that it has banned people for life or stripped them of their accomplishments are made without authority. And as many others, including USADA's own arbitrators, have found, there is nothing even remotely fair about its process. USADA has broken the law, turned its back on its own rules, and stiff-armed those who have tried to persuade USADA to honor its obligations. At every turn, USADA has played the role of a bully, threatening everyone in its way and challenging the good faith of anyone who questions its motives or its methods, all at U.S. taxpayers' expense.

For the last two months, USADA has endlessly repeated the mantra that there should be a single set of rules, applicable to all, but they have arrogantly refused to practice what they preach. On top of all that, USADA has allegedly made deals with other riders that circumvent their own rules as long as they said I cheated. Many of those riders continue to race today. The bottom line is I played by the rules that were put in place by the UCI, WADA and USADA when I raced. The idea that athletes can be convicted today without positive A and B samples, under the same rules and procedures that apply to athletes with positive tests, perverts the system and creates a process where any begrudged ex teammate can open a USADA case out of spite or for personal gain or a cheating cyclist can cut a sweetheart deal for themselves. It's an unfair approach, applied selectively, in opposition to all the rules. It's just not right.

USADA cannot assert control of a professional international sport and attempt to strip my seven Tour de France titles. I know who won those seven Tours, my teammates know who won those seven Tours, and everyone I competed against knows who won those seven Tours. We all raced together. For three weeks over the same roads, the same mountains, and against all the weather and elements that we had to confront. There were no shortcuts, there was no special treatment. The same courses, the same rules. The toughest event in the world where the strongest man wins. Nobody can ever change that. Especially not Travis Tygart.

Today I turn the page. I will no longer address this issue, regardless of the circumstances. I will commit myself to the work I began before ever winning a single Tour de France title: serving people and families affected by cancer, especially those in underserved communities. This October, my Foundation will celebrate 15 years of service to cancer survivors and the milestone of raising nearly $500 million. We have a lot of work to do and I'm looking forward to an end to this pointless distraction. I have a responsibility to all those who have stepped forward to devote their time and energy to the cancer cause. I will not stop fighting for that mission. Going forward, I am going to devote myself to raising my five beautiful (and energetic) kids, fighting cancer, and attempting to be the fittest 40-year old on the planet."

I for one hope this is the end of this....

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:38 pm

I don't really understand all this.
Does this mean he is stripped of his TDF titles? It seems USADA has no jurisdiction to do this.

It's a shame, cause I reckon Armstrong was great... But then I guess everyone was doping at that stage, so it was a level playing field & he was the best at that time.

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:42 pm

JohnJoyner wrote: Does this mean he is stripped of his TDF titles? It seems USADA has no jurisdiction to do this.
They don't but they will no doubt apply to do so.
JohnJoyner wrote: It's a shame, cause I reckon Armstrong was great... But then I guess everyone was doping at that stage, so it was a level playing field & he was the best at that time.
The fact LA has tried to take the moral high line on this is why this has been an issue for so long.

RoFlmaTiC

Postby RoFlmaTiC » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:42 pm

Not sure how "Maintains UCI is only agency with power to ban him" is consistent with accepting a life ban?

That's what cyclingnews.com is reporting anyway :?
2011 Cervelo S2 | 2014 Cervelo P2 | 2014 Apollo Giro Disc | 2018 S Works Tarmac Ultralight | 2020 Ragley Trig Adventure

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:50 pm

What I don't understand is that a guilty verdict after the trial is no worse than a guilty verdict before, unless the "during trial" stands to do further untold damage to Lance personally. The first question I asked myself was what did Armstrong's team have to hide?.
When you are of the likes of LA as an individual and a competitor at anything in life, surely you do not relinquish everything you've fought so hard for so easily after such a vigorous defence up until this point.
I've read the statement, but I just don't see whats happened. As for his cancer work, sure, OK, but he's already tarnished LiveStrong's reputation as well with having blurred those boundaries a long time ago.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:53 pm

This sounds like Michael Jackson all over again.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:54 pm

He's clearly seeing that rushing out of the trenches and knowingly being shot is going to be the best way to protect his legacy. His statement shows a lot of disdain for USADA and that will stick. He doesn't have to worry about the rest of it because his place in history is assured... it will be a while before a clean or dirty rider takes 7 TdFs...

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:56 pm

I think that this is a brilliant tactic from Armstrong and it will call the USADA's bluff and highlight their lack of jurisdiction in stripping his titles. Refusing to participate in the process makes it seem even more of a witch hunt too I think. This move will have been designed to look good, and reinforces his previously stated position of being tired of and unwilling to keep fighting the allegations, whilst still giving him the wriggle room to deny all charges. He is treating the USADA with contempt, and I think this will work in his favour...
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

roller

Postby roller » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:59 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:What I don't understand is that a guilty verdict after the trial is no worse than a guilty verdict before, unless the "during trial" stands to do further untold damage to Lance personally. The first question I asked myself was what did Armstrong's team have to hide?.
When you are of the likes of LA as an individual and a competitor at anything in life, surely you do not relinquish everything you've fought so hard for so easily after such a vigorous defence up until this point.
There's been no rigorous defence, there's only been a rigorous attempt at avoiding the need to provide a defence, and a rigorous attempt at avoiding the evidence being heard.
inflammatory statement or idea

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:05 pm

And there's the inevitable 'Cancer Shields Up' in his statement.
Crittski wrote:I think that this is a brilliant tactic from Armstrong and it will call the USADA's bluff and highlight their lack of jurisdiction in stripping his titles. Refusing to participate in the process makes it seem even more of a witch hunt too I think. This move will have been designed to look good, and reinforces his previously stated position of being tired of and unwilling to keep fighting the allegations, whilst still giving him the wriggle room to deny all charges. He is treating the USADA with contempt, and I think this will work in his favour...
In the way declaring yourself guilty at a trial when you know you might be convicted of something more serious is brilliant, thats my simpleton take. Refusing to take part can be read both ways.

How does accepting a lifetime ban work in his favour? He cant compete in any ITU/US sanctioned tri's now, is that right?

OK, so the USADA cannot revoke his TdF titles, but the UCI can. Whether they will, well..

Jim

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:07 pm

roller wrote: There's been no rigorous defence, there's only been a rigorous attempt at avoiding the need to provide a defence, and a rigorous attempt at avoiding the evidence being heard.
Indeed.

For me this is an attempt to try stopping a lot more evidence and testimony entering the public domain. Apparently the USADA had 12 riders lined up to testify against LA many of whom have clear records. Until now there's really only been Landis and Hamilton on the record about such things, and they only did so having been pinged themselves.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:07 pm

As far as I’m concerned he has done the only thing he could do at this stage, and it will be interesting to see what attempts will be made to recover any prize moneys paid for his tour wins (possibly plus interest), and if these will then be paid to whomever they declare the winner of those TdF.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:38 pm

I'm not particularly pleased about this decision. It would have been a whole lot nicer if what was done was left alone.

Now the average Mr and Mrs Joe Public will see us on a bicycle and will reckon we are doping, angry lycra clad loonies.

I'm all for cracking down on drug-taking, but maybe a time-limit would be appropriate, so if it is beyond 4 years, then it can't be investigated. :?:

rednaxela

Postby rednaxela » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:44 pm

Good or Bad, he has already earned a place in history. As for the ban, seems it is all academic since he has retired anyway. One thing it might affect is his 'charity' work and the way the funds may (or may not) come in.

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:06 pm

How long til Johan fixes his website?

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:15 pm

g-boaf wrote: Now the average Mr and Mrs Joe Public will see us on a bicycle and will reckon we are doping, angry lycra clad loonies.
Your fault or that of pros like Lance, G-boaf?

That sort of thinking - "don't damage the sport's reputation" - may have gripped the UCI over the last decade, requiring another body to intervene.

Probably time for any of LA's die-hard fans to start directing their anger towards him rather than those wanting to see justice done ("haters"). ;-)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:26 pm

It probably IS an attempt to keep evidence out of the public domain, but he has a legitimate complaint - if Lance doesn't work or race under USADA jurisdiction, then they don't get to charge him. If he can't reasonably expect a fair hearing where justice is served, then he should not be forced to defend the charges. We call them Kangaroo Courts in Australia. :idea:

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:36 pm

human909 wrote:This sounds like Michael Jackson all over again.
Sounds more like Bill Clinton .....

"I-never-had-sexual-relations-with-that-woman.... (I just stood there while she .....)"
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Jono L.

Postby Jono L. » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:37 pm

Xplora wrote:It probably IS an attempt to keep evidence out of the public domain, but he has a legitimate complaint - if Lance doesn't work or race under USADA jurisdiction, then they don't get to charge him. If he can't reasonably expect a fair hearing where justice is served, then he should not be forced to defend the charges. We call them Kangaroo Courts in Australia. :idea:
He is more than welcome to take the case to the CAS is if he is unhappy about jurisdiction....

ozstriker

Postby ozstriker » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:40 pm

Does this ban him from ironmans it is my understanding that he was starting to do quite well at them and while this investigation was going on he was unable to compete.

He probably just wants to get back to doing what he loves

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:42 pm

Xplora wrote:It probably IS an attempt to keep evidence out of the public domain, but he has a legitimate complaint - if Lance doesn't work or race under USADA jurisdiction, then they don't get to charge him. If he can't reasonably expect a fair hearing where justice is served, then he should not be forced to defend the charges. We call them Kangaroo Courts in Australia. :idea:
I was under the impression that as a member of the US Postal team the USADA does have jurisdiction to investigate, but if so, it would appear to me that the USADA can investigate only for the period where he was a member of that team...

Or am I wrong?

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:47 pm

clackers wrote:
g-boaf wrote: Now the average Mr and Mrs Joe Public will see us on a bicycle and will reckon we are doping, angry lycra clad loonies.
Your fault or that of pros like Lance, G-boaf?

That sort of thinking - "don't damage the sport's reputation" - may have gripped the UCI over the last decade, requiring another body to intervene.

Probably time for any of LA's die-hard fans to start directing their anger towards him rather than those wanting to see justice done ("haters"). ;-)
If anyone tells you you're a Roid Rager g-Boaf, tell them you're saving for a BikePure wristband. Druggo :roll:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:45 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote: Cycling Central-
"Lance Armstrong has accepted his life ban and will lose all his Tour de France titles. More to come soon."
I understand there is a character limit on twitter but that (and the headlines all the news sites are going with) is very misleading IMO, he hasn't accepted a life ban, he has just said he won't fight the charges that may lead to a life ban. And it's not a matter of he WILL lose the titles, he MAY lose them.

EDIT: wanted to clarify the above statement was Cycling Central's, not the womble's.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia