The Secret Racer - Tyler Hamilton's tell all book

RonK

Re: The Secret Racer - Tyler Hamilton's tell all book

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:34 pm

find_bruce wrote:Forgive me if I don't contribute to the income of someone who has made a career out of deceiving the public, both before and after testing positive.
No, me neither - and now I'm really peed that I contributed to Armstrong's income by buying his books...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:10 pm

Just finished it - woah - awesome read.

After all the highs and lows of Tyler's career, and in fact many of the other cyclists who went down his path, you see what a huge risk the whole doping game is..
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:51 pm

I'd love to read this as a history of a particular time of past excess. Then I remember who won the Vuelta d'Espana this year...

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:57 pm

Apparently, his favourite steak cannot be obtained in Valkenburg.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:37 pm

RonK wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Forgive me if I don't contribute to the income of someone who has made a career out of deceiving the public, both before and after testing positive.
No, me neither - and now I'm really peed that I contributed to Armstrong's income by buying his books...
Don't be too hard on yourself Ron, you could have contributed to the Floyd Fairness Fund ;)
Anything you can do, I can do slower

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:23 pm

find_bruce wrote:
RonK wrote:
Don't be too hard on yourself Ron, you could have contributed to the Floyd Fairness Fund ;)
Ahhhh - no. Floyds' performance was not incredible, it was simply not credible. LA I actually believed, admired and respected - well for five tour wins anyway, after that the doubts just grew and grew and grew.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:31 am

RonK wrote: Ahhhh - no. Floyds' performance was not incredible, it was simply not credible. LA I actually believed, admired and respected - well for five tour wins anyway, after that the doubts just grew and grew and grew.
To paraphrase, Floyd's showing was not normal.

I know I'm going to have to read this book again. There's a lot in it, a lot of people mentioned, a lot of subterfuge and behind-the-scenes work to get the doping done.

Jim

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:35 am

familyguy wrote:
RonK wrote: Ahhhh - no. Floyds' performance was not incredible, it was simply not credible. LA I actually believed, admired and respected - well for five tour wins anyway, after that the doubts just grew and grew and grew.
To paraphrase, Floyd's showing was not normal.

I know I'm going to have to read this book again. There's a lot in it, a lot of people mentioned, a lot of subterfuge and behind-the-scenes work to get the doping done.

Jim
Defininatley - when you read how the whole blood doping / EPO operation involves everyone from the bus driver to the soigneurs, you'd have to be pretty naieve to think guy was doing it either in secret, or on his own..

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 pm

I wont buy Tylers book , whats he done for the world of cancer??????????
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:27 pm

He hasn't hidden behind a charity you mean?

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:59 pm

just finished. an interesting read, must have been at the printers before this years tour
Overall, though, things are moving in the right direction. You don’t see whole teams dominate entire races as often as they used to. What’s more, individual riders are having ups and downs; you can see that big efforts carry costs, exactly as they should. I like that kind of racing partly because it’s more exciting, but mostly because I think it’s honest. After all, it’s the humanity we love in these races. Every day brings risks and rewards. You might win. You might lose. That’s the point.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:52 am

Overall, though, things are moving in the right direction. You don’t see whole teams dominate entire races as often as they used to. What’s more, individual riders are having ups and downs; you can see that big efforts carry costs, exactly as they should. I like that kind of racing partly because it’s more exciting, but mostly because I think it’s honest. After all, it’s the humanity we love in these races. Every day brings risks and rewards. You might win. You might lose. That’s the point.
[/quote]
Interesting quote to consider when thinking about this year's tour.... And Wiggins being so strong... Almost extraterrestrial!

Jono L.

Postby Jono L. » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:22 am

Understandable,

But you are missing a valuable oppurtunity to delve into the world of someone who can make 'a career out of deceiving the public, both before and after testing positive' and understand how and why.

You are exactly the sort of person he wrote the book for.

Just download it for free and then give a $15 donation to a charity of your choice.

But don't be too proud to possibly have your pre conceived judgements challenged.

It's a really, really worthwhile read :)

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:06 am

Jono L. wrote:
Understandable,

But you are missing a valuable oppurtunity to delve into the world of someone who can make 'a career out of deceiving the public, both before and after testing positive' and understand how and why.

You are exactly the sort of person he wrote the book for.

Just download it for free and then give a $15 donation to a charity of your choice.

But don't be too proud to possibly have your pre conceived judgements challenged.

It's a really, really worthwhile read :)
+1

Better not buy any books written by any pro cyclists then, find_bruce
Or soccer players http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or Kenyan runners http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/09/26 ... tance-use/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:14 am

From what I've seen, I don't think there's much danger of a soccer player writing a book, unless it's a colouring in book.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:21 am

Ross, if you look over your left shoulder, off in the distance is my point that you have missed - there is a world of difference between the actions of Hamilton & those, for example of David Miller who admitted his guilt shortly after being busted & took responsibility for his decision to dope

Jono L.

Postby Jono L. » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:23 am

find_bruce wrote:Ross, if you look over your left shoulder, off in the distance is my point that you have missed - there is a world of difference between the actions of Hamilton & those, for example of David Miller who admitted his guilt shortly after being busted & took responsibility for his decision to dope
Riders, like Miller, for example, who have chosen not to spit in the soup and return to the foray to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars whilst the system that allows such doping to flourish remains unchanged and unchallenged are no better, or worse than Hamilton.

In much the same way that US law allows for big payouts to corporate whistleblowers, if Hamilton makes some $$ on the side, if that is what it takes to lift the lid on who, how and why, such systematic corruption and doping takes place. Then hell, lesser of two evils..

This. Is. Exactly. Why. You. Need. To read. This. Book.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:50 am

You are entitled to your opinion Jono. What size T-Shirt did you buy ?

Jono L.

Postby Jono L. » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:18 pm

find_bruce wrote:You are entitled to your opinion Jono. What size T-Shirt did you buy ?
I torrented the audio book.

I wonder, would you prefer the sort of information that Hamilton has made public remain untold?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:29 pm

Jono L. wrote:
find_bruce wrote:You are entitled to your opinion Jono. What size T-Shirt did you buy ?

I wonder, would you prefer the sort of information that Hamilton has made public remain untold?
If you are handing out druthers, I'd rather he told the truth about his doping in 2004. I'd rather he didn't lie about it again and again and again over the following 7 years.

Contrary to your suggestion, I am quite interested in reading the truth, I just don't think you will get that from Hamilton.

There are said to have been plenty of credible people who gave evidence to the USADA & sooner or later they will forward that information to the UCI & I have no doubt that will be released or leaked to the public.

Jono L.

Postby Jono L. » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:07 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Jono L. wrote:

If you are handing out druthers, I'd rather he told the truth about his doping in 2004. I'd rather he didn't lie about it again and again and again over the following 7 years.

Contrary to your suggestion, I am quite interested in reading the truth, I just don't think you will get that from Hamilton.

There are said to have been plenty of credible people who gave evidence to the USADA & sooner or later they will forward that information to the UCI & I have no doubt that will be released or leaked to the public.
Ah Ok, that's good to hear :)

Well hopefully down the track when it all comes out we can cross check and see how hamilton has gone with his story telling.

It was co written, and Dan Coyle has supposedly said that there was a lot of 'stuff' he did not include because it could not be corroborated.

Also, given Hamilton has had to 'tell all' to the grand jury, knowing most likely all of that information will become public, he would look mighty, mighty stupid if he made up a bunch of porky pies to put in his book only to have them proven untrue only a matter of weeks or months after. I just can't see his motivation for not telling the truth in this instance.

Time will tell :)

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:10 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Jono L. wrote:

Out of everyone who has been pinged for PED, including some that Hamilton mentions in the book, none of them have even come close to telling the truth. Anyone in the USPS inner sanctum who spoke out either went very quiet, moved on, or got paid off out-of-court. Hamilton says he refused a payoff. As far as credible goes, its going to take just a little more corroboration. But so far there's Andreu, Basson, and now Hamilton. If the list of people subpoenad to give evidence is to be believed, look for quotes from other respected individuals to provide backup.

What astounds me about the book (yes, if it is to be believed, and frankly, I very much do) is the cult of personality that Lance engendered, first by stealth, then by force, then by sheer bloody-mindedness, and now through Livestrong. The restaurant episode at the end of Hamilton's book is testament to that.

Jim

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Haven't read the book but I've often wondered what the long term harm will be on these athletes' bodies from taking PEDs. Does he discuss any concerns about this in the book?

alex

Postby alex » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:23 pm

find_bruce wrote:

hamilton has testified to the feds under oath

if his book contradicts that testimony he is in trouble...
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:29 pm

An interesting David Millar docco