The Secret Racer - Tyler Hamilton's tell all book

ianK

Re: The Secret Racer - Tyler Hamilton's tell all book

Postby ianK » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:16 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:An interesting David Millar docco
Fascinating doco - certainly reinforced my view that for a while pretty much every top rider was on the juice. Strange and sad times. I hope it is different now, but after Frank Schelck this year one also wonders if it has changed at all.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:06 am

ianK wrote:
Fascinating doco - certainly reinforced my view that for a while pretty much every top rider was on the juice. Strange and sad times. I hope it is different now, but after Frank Schelck this year one also wonders if it has changed at all.
This issue must make for some interesting discussions when team managers and sponsors decide which riders to try and sign for the next season.

flow.rider

Postby flow.rider » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:02 am

Made it half way through the eBook last night. Interesting enough to keep me up to 2am.
True or not true? Knowing what I know about how the world works it seems highly plausible.

Still like anything I read I'm not going to bank it as the truth.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:31 am

flow.rider wrote:Made it half way through the eBook last night. Interesting enough to keep me up to 2am.
True or not true? Knowing what I know about how the world works it seems highly plausible.

Still like anything I read I'm not going to bank it as the truth.
If you read the customer reviews on Amazon, you'll see more than a few people are dismissing it as outright lies cause "Lance never tested positive" :D

Jim

ozstriker

Postby ozstriker » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm half way through reading 'Rough Ride' at the moment which is along the same lines about drugs in cycling, although I haven't read Tylers book, one thing I am taking away is that it is totally destroying my enthusiasm and interest in professional cycling.

How a lot of races are rigged, rampant drug use, it's definitely not as glamorous as I thought it was.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:34 pm

ozstriker wrote:

How a lot of races are rigged, rampant drug use, it's definitely not as glamorous as I thought it was.
I'm old enough and cynical enough to say; welcome to the real world. :(

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:59 pm

The graphic descriptions of the procedures involved in doping and the side effects absolutely horrified me. And the way he described the experiences that led him to start doping (and just to make it clear i don't think anyone has a lower opinion of drug users than me, i mean i made my fiancee stop smoking cigarettes when we met), i have to wonder if they aren't all still doing it, just smarter, microdosing, new drugs that can't be detected etc.

Who wants to buy an 'I Believe Frank Schleck' shirt? :(
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Just finished reading this book yesterday (20 bucks at Kmart).
I haven't had much sleep this week, it was a fascinating read.
And after the Armstrong/USADA saga of last year, I had been wondering whether I'd be able to enjoy the tour this year. After reading Hamilton's book, I have a much better understanding of the landscape back then, and much more faith that cycling has cleaned itself up since then.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:16 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:Just finished reading this book yesterday (20 bucks at Kmart).
I haven't had much sleep this week, it was a fascinating read.
And after the Armstrong/USADA saga of last year, I had been wondering whether I'd be able to enjoy the tour this year. After reading Hamilton's book, I have a much better understanding of the landscape back then, and much more faith that cycling has cleaned itself up since then.
It's a top read, FD. Since USADA accepted/confirmed Hamilton's allegations against Armstrong, will it also follow up those against the UCI itself?