Embarrassing Jerseys

herzog

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby herzog » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:50 pm

I reckon wearing the full matching kit of a team you don't ride for is as daggy as walking down the street decked out in Collingwood gear.

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:09 pm

I prefer to wear jerseys purchased on rides I've done, e.g. Alpine Classic, Around the Bay in a Day, etc., because I get the continual reminder of how much fun these were every time I use the jerseys :) . I do have a custom-message jersey from ShareTheDamnRoad.com, though, which doesn't fit into that category.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Even better, a bike courier today in red and white Swans guernsey. :lol:

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:19 pm

I passed the world champion(apparently) out on the road recently - bad form I reckon. It's not something I'd bother to comment to the wearer about (unless I knew him), but the thought that immediately came to mind rhymes with anchor.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:27 pm

sunho wrote:Framing it isn't such a bad idea. Then again, it isn't signed or anything..

Nothing that a black texta couldn't fix. Not much more dishonest than wearing it ; )

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:11 pm

I have to say Im in the "didn't earn it don't wear it" category but as a few people have mentioned it always gives me a bit of an up n go when i outclimb the tdf kom or sprint past the workday champ. Team jerseys are fine in my book though i don't own any.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:27 pm

VRE wrote:I do have a custom-message jersey from ShareTheDamnRoad.com, though, which doesn't fit into that category.
i'll have one of them, signed by warnie please

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:59 pm

jasonc wrote:
sunho wrote:P. S I have not seen anyone wear a tour yellow, polka dot or green jersey yet...
I see a few people wearing polka dot jerseys. makes me feel good when I smash them up a climb.

re the greenedge jersey - I ummed and ahhed and missed out on a tdf greenedge jersey - i thought they looked quite good
IMHO these jerseys should not be available in any size bigger than a long medium. :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Comedian wrote:IMHO these jerseys should not be available in any size bigger than a long medium. :)
Is that your size? :lol: :lol: :lol:

skull

Postby skull » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:19 pm

RonK wrote:I passed the world champion(apparently) out on the road recently - bad form I reckon. It's not something I'd bother to comment to the wearer about (unless I knew him), but the thought that immediately came to mind rhymes with anchor.
Why bad form?

Also how do you know they haven't ever qualified to wear rainbows. I have riden with a few world champs and the uniformed wouldn't know.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:25 pm

RonK wrote:
Comedian wrote:IMHO these jerseys should not be available in any size bigger than a long medium. :)
how did you guess. :mrgreen:

I got one of the cycling tips "shut up legs" shirts. Someone complained in the comments that they didnt have anything bigger than a large... They got howled down. :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Comedian wrote:
RonK wrote:

I got one of the cycling tips "shut up legs" shirts. Someone complained in the comments that they didnt have anything bigger than a large... They got howled down. :)
I wanted a large and waited too long :oops:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Euro club team kit... as long as it has no yellow in it :D .

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Comedian wrote:
RonK wrote:

The shut up legs shirt is great, but the one I really wanted was the Hoogerland jersey by Milltag. I can't understand why they didn't do more of 'em... :(

PA

Postby PA » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:50 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Scarfy96 wrote:I sort of lean towards, team kit OK, winners jerseys of various forms - if you haven't earned them then don't wear them. But each to their own.
It's funny, but I am the opposite - I am not interested in wearing a company's logo unless I am being paid to do so. I drive a ford falcon, but I have not had it painted to look like Mark Winterbottom's.

If I am honest though, I am more likely to be paid NOT to wear a company's jersey than the other way round.
I wear a bike brands jersey, but it's just a failed attempt to get them to pay me not to wear it.
Mouse magnet

grantw

Postby grantw » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:09 pm

In audax circles, jerseys are pretty important and are often cues for conversations during rides such as "I see by your jersey that you were on the Great Southern in 08. I hear conditions were dreadful and do you mind if I draft you for the next 800kms?"

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:20 pm

skull wrote:
RonK wrote:I passed the world champion(apparently) out on the road recently - bad form I reckon. It's not something I'd bother to comment to the wearer about (unless I knew him), but the thought that immediately came to mind rhymes with anchor.
Why bad form?

Also how do you know they haven't ever qualified to wear rainbows. I have riden with a few world champs and the uniformed wouldn't know.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2
You can wear the World/National champs jersey in the year you have won it and are the world/national champion, and then only in the event in which you have won it (e.g. if you're the world kieren champion, you can't wear your stripes for a points race). After that you wear the stripes on your sleeves. So if you see someone training in a world champion's jersey either they're still drunk after winning the jersey and are tooling around, or they've been to Mupi.

Milar

Postby Milar » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:31 pm

I suggested this one to my wife - she wasn't keen for some reason. Might be good to keep the wheel suckers away :D

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:44 pm

grantw wrote:In audax circles, jerseys are pretty important and are often cues for conversations during rides such as "I see by your jersey that you were on the Great Southern in 08. I hear conditions were dreadful and do you mind if I draft you for the next 800kms?"

I like how in audax rides they sell the jersey to anyone that enters before the ride. Interesting to see people lining up at the start with "I finished the three peaks challenge" on their jersey . Not yet you haven't .
Last edited by jimsheedy on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skull

Postby skull » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:04 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
You can wear the World/National champs jersey in the year you have won it and are the world/national champion, and then only in the event in which you have won it (e.g. if you're the world kieren champion, you can't wear your stripes for a points race). After that you wear the stripes on your sleeves. So if you see someone training in a world champion's jersey either they're still drunk after winning the jersey and are tooling around, or they've been to Mupi.
So if they qualified competing in worlds for Masters or Juniors that doesn't count then? Nice to see you have insulted people who have raced and qualified. Also wondering if you have qualified to wear the rainbow to be able to judge others for wearing it?

So as I said are you sure they aren't allowed to wear the rainbow? There is more than one race to qualify for them.

And as again so what if someone wears what they want, why is it bad form.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:41 pm

grantw wrote:In audax circles, jerseys are pretty important and are often cues for conversations during rides such as "I see by your jersey that you were on the Great Southern in 08. I hear conditions were dreadful and do you mind if I draft you for the next 800kms?"
:lol:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

DCP

Postby DCP » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:11 pm

Not too sure if they are embarrassing or not, but I certainly don't give a toss when wearing them, and that is usually 3 times a week.

Modeled by my kids 8)
2012 Merida Reacto 904

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:17 pm

skull wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
So if they qualified competing in worlds for Masters or Juniors that doesn't count then? Nice to see you have insulted people who have raced and qualified. Also wondering if you have qualified to wear the rainbow to be able to judge others for wearing it?

So as I said are you sure they aren't allowed to wear the rainbow? There is more than one race to qualify for them.

And as again so what if someone wears what they want, why is it bad form.
I don't know if I understand what you mean in your response. I was letting you know the rules as set down by the UCI (I'm training as a commissaire) . Let me address the points as you have made them.
skull wrote:So if they qualified competing in worlds for Masters or Juniors that doesn't count then? Nice to see you have insulted people who have raced and qualified. Also wondering if you have qualified to wear the rainbow to be able to judge others for wearing it?
Only the winner is allowed to wear the rainbow stripes. Many (but not all) of the qualifiers are national champions and they're allowed to wear their national champions jersey. I don't know how I insulted anyone at all. I know lots of people who have qualified for world championships and haven't won. They don't get to wear the stripes.

So, am I sure they aren't allowed to wear the rainbow stripes? Yes. It's in the UCI rules. Look them up. They can wear their champion jersey ONLY while they're champion and ONLY while participating in the event they win their championship in. After that they can wear the bands on their sleeves. Have a look at the riders during the tour to see what I mean.
skull wrote:And as again so what if someone wears what they want, why is it bad form.

Your original post asked how do you know if someone wearing the stripes while riding on the street hasn't won a world championship. I think I've answered that. That's why it's bad form, in my opinion. Obviously, people can do what they want, but I can assure you that anyone casually wearing a world champion's jersey is not a world champion.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:18 pm

DCP wrote:Not too sure if they are embarrassing or not, but I certainly don't give a toss when wearing them, and that is usually 3 times a week.

Modeled by my kids 8)
Awesome. Get yourself a cat in the hat jersey and then get a thing 1 and thing 2 jersey for your kids.

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Baldy wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:I'm all for wearing the jersey of whatever team takes your fancy (my first jersey was Milram, just because i liked the colour) but the tour jerseys or the rainbow stripes...it's just a bit different, you're supposed to earn those. Don't get me wrong if someone wants to wear one go right ahead, no skin off my nose, i just wouldn't myself.
The only time its wrong to wear a winners jersey is if you have a pro contract and you did not win it.

For the rest of us....no one cares and like the others said if they do they are not worth worrying about.[Not talkiing about you Ldrcycles, just the rabit tossers who would yell stuff out in the street :roll: ]

I have Liquigas and BMC and I'm pretty sure no one is going to mistake me for Basso or Gilbert :mrgreen:
You had me fooled......but I was starting to wonder why Basso & Gilbert would turn up on a Specialized bike :roll:
Felt AR2