Embarrassing Jerseys

sunho

Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby sunho » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:15 pm

I received a KOM jersey from a friend as a present for my birthday (as I am relatively new to the cycling scene).

I can't imagine I will be wearing it on a ride as I climb at a snails pace comparing to all the semi pros and athletes who climb significantly faster than I. Super embarrassing.

I made sure I never ever bought a jersey with yellow on it either but this is a present and I can't really sell it (or can I?)
Worst thing I could do is gear up looking pro and have nothing to show for it!

Anyone else have embarrassing jersey moments? Or get mistaken for a pro?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Lukeyboy

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:42 pm

Just find a steep hill to constantly go down and you'll be fine :P

I've had a couple yuppies make some comments about me riding slow on a shared pathway where lots of children play, dogs around, other bike riders of all ages, multiple walking tracks etc considering I usually wear a BMC jersey. Once the bikeway got to a section that was wide and had good visability I flew past one of them doing 50kph :lol: :lol:

roller

Postby roller » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:52 pm

sunho wrote:I received a KOM jersey from a friend as a present for my birthday (as I am relatively new to the cycling scene).

I can't imagine I will be wearing it on a ride as I climb at a snails pace comparing to all the semi pros and athletes who climb significantly faster than I. Super embarrassing.

I made sure I never ever bought a jersey with yellow on it either but this is a present and I can't really sell it (or can I?)

relatively new to th cycling scene yet you've already developed a chip on your shoulder about jerseys you are and aren't supposed to wear?

save yourself the trouble, it's a piece of clothing. a souvenir given to you by a friend - you should be stoked tha a frind is encouraging you (not saying stuff ike "ewww lycra. . you don't wear that do you?").

wear it with pride.

only idiots would look at you and think "he thinks he's the reigning TDF KOM champion, how embarassing"
inflammatory statement or idea

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi,
I wear a few different types of jersey.

Favorite at the moment is green edge jersey, got to show support for our Aussie team.

I also have a liquigas, BMC, and old fart cycling club.....

Who cares what others think, no different to footy fans etc wearing there jerseys.

Cheers

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:08 pm

I'm all for wearing the jersey of whatever team takes your fancy (my first jersey was Milram, just because i liked the colour) but the tour jerseys or the rainbow stripes...it's just a bit different, you're supposed to earn those. Don't get me wrong if someone wants to wear one go right ahead, no skin off my nose, i just wouldn't myself.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

asmc

Postby asmc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:17 pm

Does wearing a rapha jersey automatically classify you into a certain 'group' ?
Cervélo Soloist Carbon SRAM Red

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:40 pm

Just don't wear a world or national champion's jersey during a race, unless you've actually earned it. Not only is it against "the rules", it's also against the rules.

Fellow forumite Scotto likes to wear his polka-dot jersey on the velodrome in order to be ironic.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:41 pm

asmc wrote:Does wearing a rapha jersey automatically classify you into a certain 'group' ?
Yes, but it's an obscure group that you've probably never heard of.

skull

Postby skull » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:43 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
asmc wrote:Does wearing a rapha jersey automatically classify you into a certain 'group' ?
Yes, but it's an obscure group that you've probably never heard of.
wealthy?

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:47 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I'm all for wearing the jersey of whatever team takes your fancy (my first jersey was Milram, just because i liked the colour) but the tour jerseys or the rainbow stripes...it's just a bit different, you're supposed to earn those. Don't get me wrong if someone wants to wear one go right ahead, no skin off my nose, i just wouldn't myself.
The only time its wrong to wear a winners jersey is if you have a pro contract and you did not win it.

For the rest of us....no one cares and like the others said if they do they are not worth worrying about.[Not talkiing about you Ldrcycles, just the rabit tossers who would yell stuff out in the street :roll: ]

I have Liquigas and BMC and I'm pretty sure no one is going to mistake me for Basso or Gilbert :mrgreen:

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:12 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Fellow forumite Scotto likes to wear his polka-dot jersey on the velodrome in order to be ironic.
I like that one :mrgreen:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:18 pm

yep.
its the quality jersey owners group.

I personally find team kit silly. but each to their own i guess.

A KOM jersey ? frame it and put it on your wall. your friend will be stoked to see how much you value the present.

sunho

Postby sunho » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:43 pm

Framing it isn't such a bad idea. Then again, it isn't signed or anything...
Thomas Voekler is halfway across the world.

P. S I have not seen anyone wear a tour yellow, polka dot or green jersey yet...

Maybe I'll just use it to ride to work here and there. Might work better than my high visibility vest!

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:20 am

Not quite on the same theme. When working down south in Victoria I acquired a very nice jersey from the Port Fairy Cycling Club based (unsurprisingly) in Port Fairy. Yellow body and purple patterns with the words 'PORT FAIRY' emblazoned across the front and back in big letters. I loved this shirt, fitted well, bright and comfortable with the right number of pockets. However when I came home I found it was not wise to wear it around Newcastle (a port city) if you wanted a quiet life :)
Cheers
Richard

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:02 am

sunho wrote:P. S I have not seen anyone wear a tour yellow, polka dot or green jersey yet...
I see a few people wearing polka dot jerseys. makes me feel good when I smash them up a climb.

re the greenedge jersey - I ummed and ahhed and missed out on a tdf greenedge jersey - i thought they looked quite good

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:23 am

Yeah, someone who works across the road from my office wears a Polka Dot jersey as well.

I've noticed a few yellow jerseys as well, but one of them was at least worn by a bicycle courier who could probably place a lot of naysayers in the hurt box.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:36 am

WyvernRH wrote:Not quite on the same theme. When working down south in Victoria I acquired a very nice jersey from the Port Fairy Cycling Club based (unsurprisingly) in Port Fairy. Yellow body and purple patterns with the words 'PORT FAIRY' emblazoned across the front and back in big letters. I loved this shirt, fitted well, bright and comfortable with the right number of pockets. However when I came home I found it was not wise to wear it around Newcastle (a port city) if you wanted a quiet life :)
Cheers
Richard
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shred931

Postby Shred931 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:12 am

I saw a guy wearing a spiderman jersey/knick combo. Quality outfit my friend.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:30 am

Shred931 wrote:I saw a guy wearing a spiderman jersey/knick combo. Quality outfit my friend.
Mupi I suppose? I know they did one.

mrsly

Postby mrsly » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:05 am

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the 'exquisite taste' group? :p

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:09 am

I have one that looks like a tuxedo jacket. Daughter loves it, son hates it. Gets lots of comments when out riding - some love it, others well .....

I have a bright yellow one but it is an event one, don't wear it much but it comes out from time to time.

I sort of lean towards, team kit OK, winners jerseys of various forms - if you haven't earned them then don't wear them. But each to their own.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:55 am

Scarfy96 wrote:I sort of lean towards, team kit OK, winners jerseys of various forms - if you haven't earned them then don't wear them. But each to their own.
It's funny, but I am the opposite - I am not interested in wearing a company's logo unless I am being paid to do so. I drive a ford falcon, but I have not had it painted to look like Mark Winterbottom's.

If I am honest though, I am more likely to be paid NOT to wear a company's jersey than the other way round.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:04 pm

sunho wrote:I received a KOM jersey from a friend as a present for my birthday (as I am relatively new to the cycling scene).

Wear what you want, if others have a problem with that then tough.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:10 pm

I don't like the cartoon and novelty themed jerseys,

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Ross wrote:I don't like the cartoon and novelty themed jerseys,
My brother would be having words with you. Oscar the grouch is pretty much his favourite jersey