Embarrassing Jerseys

takai

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby takai » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:24 pm

sunho wrote:
P. S I have not seen anyone wear a tour yellow, polka dot or green jersey yet...
I have worn a green tour jersey. That said it was a pub ride for St Pats...

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:51 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Scarfy96 wrote:I sort of lean towards, team kit OK, winners jerseys of various forms - if you haven't earned them then don't wear them. But each to their own.
It's funny, but I am the opposite - I am not interested in wearing a company's logo unless I am being paid to do so. I drive a ford falcon, but I have not had it painted to look like Mark Winterbottom's.

If I am honest though, I am more likely to be paid NOT to wear a company's jersey than the other way round.
I am with you. I am not all that interested in providing advertising that I have not been paid to do. Having said that I dont mind the greenedge gear and have thought about getting some, but I think thats more a patriotic sort of thing.

Thats me and it doesnt bother me what others choose to wear, each to their own of course
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:14 pm

skull wrote:
RonK wrote:I passed the world champion(apparently) out on the road recently - bad form I reckon. It's not something I'd bother to comment to the wearer about (unless I knew him), but the thought that immediately came to mind rhymes with anchor.
Why bad form?

Also how do you know they haven't ever qualified to wear rainbows. I have riden with a few world champs and the uniformed wouldn't know.
You don't understand why it's bad form to display an honour that you didn't earn and are not entitled to display? You need it spelled out to you that it is dishonest, false, and disrespectful?

And let me assure you that the person concerned was clearly not a world champion.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:19 pm

bazsand wrote:
Baldy wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:I'm all for wearing the jersey of whatever team takes your fancy (my first jersey was Milram, just because i liked the colour) but the tour jerseys or the rainbow stripes...it's just a bit different, you're supposed to earn those. Don't get me wrong if someone wants to wear one go right ahead, no skin off my nose, i just wouldn't myself.
The only time its wrong to wear a winners jersey is if you have a pro contract and you did not win it.

For the rest of us....no one cares and like the others said if they do they are not worth worrying about.[Not talkiing about you Ldrcycles, just the rabit tossers who would yell stuff out in the street :roll: ]

I have Liquigas and BMC and I'm pretty sure no one is going to mistake me for Basso or Gilbert :mrgreen:
You had me fooled......but I was starting to wonder why Basso & Gilbert would turn up on a Specialized bike :roll:
If I had the cash, I'd have matching bikes/kit just to annoy the clean skins.

Ive got the bmc stuff plus a world champs cap i got as a souvineer from Geelong. All I need now is one of those things you stick on your nose and I will start getting Belgian groupies right ?

Female ones I hope :mrgreen:

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:47 pm

RonK wrote:
skull wrote:
RonK wrote:I passed the world champion(apparently) out on the road recently - bad form I reckon. It's not something I'd bother to comment to the wearer about (unless I knew him), but the thought that immediately came to mind rhymes with anchor.
Why bad form?

Also how do you know they haven't ever qualified to wear rainbows. I have riden with a few world champs and the uniformed wouldn't know.
You don't understand why it's bad form to display an honour that you didn't earn and are not entitled to display? You need it spelled out to you that it is dishonest, false, and disrespectful?

And let me assure you that the person concerned was clearly not a world champion.
I'd be interested to know if Simon Clarke feels the same way about some 16yo kid wearing the polkadot jersey. Or anyone for that matter.

The people who have won the jerseys are the only ones with any right to complain.

The UCI like banning things, get them onto it. Until then, relax :roll:

scotto

Postby scotto » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:58 pm

Indeed. Polka dots are only worn by me on flat rides. Anything else would be embarrassing !!

Wear anything you like but cycling is weird. Im proud to wear a wallabies jersey, but wouldn't wear an Australian cycling jersey as they, like the rainbow stripes, are an award, a trophy if u like. It's just the way it is.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:09 pm

I think we have a winner. A wallabies jersey? Now thats embarrassing

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:10 pm

I wish you could get team kit without the extra adverts.

I personally wouldn't wear a jersey that i haven't earned but I don't give a damn if others do. Life's too short...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:28 pm

RonK wrote:
skull wrote:
Why bad form?

Riding down to get the milk, or into the office in rainbows is not bad form to and think so is just being pathetic and pedantic. Competing in rainbows is a completely different matter.

The people that are wearing such jersey really wouldn't care what the wannabe pro's are scoffing at, we are just enjoying the ride. A national jersey isn't saying that I think I am on the national team, just proud to be an Aussie.

- David.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:44 am

DavidL wrote:Riding down to get the milk, or into the office in rainbows is not bad form to and think so is just being pathetic and pedantic. Competing in rainbows is a completely different matter.

The people that are wearing such jersey really wouldn't care what the wannabe pro's are scoffing at, we are just enjoying the ride. A national jersey isn't saying that I think I am on the national team, just proud to be an Aussie.

- David.
Ah, so you are just being patriotic - like these blokes I suppose, who also enjoy wearing honours they didn't earn.

Well, I guess that should be all right then...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:53 am

I like wearing my GreenEDGE outfit and if anyone has a go about me wearing it, I tell them I used to be on the team but got kicked off for being drunk and disorderly. :lol:

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:21 am

RonK wrote: Ah, so you are just being patriotic - like these blokes I suppose, who also enjoy wearing honours they didn't earn.

Well, I guess that should be all right then...
Ron, I think you are taking this jerseys thing overly seriously. Until and unless somebody wearing the jersey is actually claiming that they are TdF KoM/World Champ/TdF GC leader, wearing the jersey is just another way of them expressing their love of our sport.

Like many others, I would not buy myself any of those jerseys but I see no reason to get my panties in a wad just because somebody else views it differently.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gururug

Postby gururug » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:43 am

JustJames wrote:Like many others, I would not buy myself any of those jerseys but I see no reason to get my panties in a wad just because somebody else views it differently.
Agree entirely. Go the bulldogs!

skull

Postby skull » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:25 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
skull wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
You can wear the World/National champs jersey in the year you have won it and are the world/national champion, and then only in the event in which you have won it (e.g. if you're the world kieren champion, you can't wear your stripes for a points race). After that you wear the stripes on your sleeves. So if you see someone training in a world champion's jersey either they're still drunk after winning the jersey and are tooling around, or they've been to Mupi.
So if they qualified competing in worlds for Masters or Juniors that doesn't count then? Nice to see you have insulted people who have raced and qualified. Also wondering if you have qualified to wear the rainbow to be able to judge others for wearing it?

So as I said are you sure they aren't allowed to wear the rainbow? There is more than one race to qualify for them.

And as again so what if someone wears what they want, why is it bad form.
I don't know if I understand what you mean in your response. I was letting you know the rules as set down by the UCI (I'm training as a commissaire) . Let me address the points as you have made them.
skull wrote:So if they qualified competing in worlds for Masters or Juniors that doesn't count then? Nice to see you have insulted people who have raced and qualified. Also wondering if you have qualified to wear the rainbow to be able to judge others for wearing it?
Only the winner is allowed to wear the rainbow stripes. Many (but not all) of the qualifiers are national champions and they're allowed to wear their national champions jersey. I don't know how I insulted anyone at all. I know lots of people who have qualified for world championships and haven't won. They don't get to wear the stripes.

So, am I sure they aren't allowed to wear the rainbow stripes? Yes. It's in the UCI rules. Look them up. They can wear their champion jersey ONLY while they're champion and ONLY while participating in the event they win their championship in. After that they can wear the bands on their sleeves. Have a look at the riders during the tour to see what I mean.
skull wrote:And as again so what if someone wears what they want, why is it bad form.

Your original post asked how do you know if someone wearing the stripes while riding on the street hasn't won a world championship. I think I've answered that. That's why it's bad form, in my opinion. Obviously, people can do what they want, but I can assure you that anyone casually wearing a world champion's jersey is not a world champion.
I am not talking about qualifying for worlds. I understand the rules for wearing types of jerseys at uci events.

I am asking how the original poster I responded to knew that the person they saw wearing stripes had never completed and won a world championship race.

There is more than just worlds for elite men.

I have seen first hand someone having a dig at another rider for having stripes on their kit. Only to eat their words.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

Max

Postby Max » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:37 am

JustJames wrote:Ron, I think you are taking this jerseys thing overly seriously. Until and unless somebody wearing the jersey is actually claiming that they are TdF KoM/World Champ/TdF GC leader, wearing the jersey is just another way of them expressing their love of our sport.

Like many others, I would not buy myself any of those jerseys but I see no reason to get my panties in a wad just because somebody else views it differently.
+1. My mum gave me a world champion jersey. The only reason I don't wear it is because I'm too fat. :oops: Giving me a polka dot jersey would be the ultimate in irony, but I would wear it just to make peoples' minds boggle.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:40 am

It's true in this debate that people will continue to wear whatever they have in the wardrobe or takes their fancy at time of purchase. Although I do wonder about some choices made but then people do confound in their choice of everyday clothing too. I stopped wearing team gear many years back as it looks a little naff on the older rider and in general I think it best suits the younger leaner riders who like to emulate their favourite teams/ riders.

World champion jerseys, tour classification jerseys etc are not considered by the cognoscenti of the sport to be appropriate apparel at any time. Even if you have won the masters worlds you will be in the record books forever unless you need self validation every time you ride. I don't like cartoonish or garish jerseys but many do from what I see on rides. If you are a club member then wear their strip and never wear mismatched team gear. If you are so inclined, try to match your clothing/accessories to the bike colour. In other words aim for clean, smart gear that shows you care and have some pride in your appearance. Retire that torn, faded Z top from the 80s even though you love it to death.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:04 am

How about a retro style WC jersey such as this?
I have just purchased one and like the design but didn't consider the implications of the World Champ rainbow.

On a similar note, I wear a Wallabies Jersey when I watch the games to show support, etc. But I have a friend who is a current Wallaby and would not wear it around him. Although, I don't know how he feels about it. Would this apply in cycling too?

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:26 am

Just about everybody knows that the yellow jersey is the GC leader's jersey from the TdF. Which means that potentially, just about everybody can form some opinion about your merits as a cyclist.

But with world champ jerseys you're on much safer ground with the general populace.

Most will mis-recognise the rainbow stripes and just think you're just pedalling (fabulously!) for gay pride.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kemp

Postby Kemp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:32 am

I can't believe how uptight some people are about this WC jersey business. It's about the same as Joe Blow walking down the street with an 'I won the Nobel Prize for x' t-shirt. They shouldn't be taken seriously. After all, what business is it of anyone else's what jersey someone decides to wear? I couldn't care if someone rode past me in a pink tu-tu with a feather duster. If that's their thing then so what? Sure, they might look like a goof, but why would you be worried or annoyed about someone else looking like a goof?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:37 am

How about the the Australian National Champion jersey "as worn by Jack Bobridge", now on sale for $69.95 at cell bikes
Do you have a slim-fit physique and want something that will show the efforts of your hard training and work?
This jersey will fit you like a custom-fitted 2nd skin!
Look like a pro. Wear like a pro. Ride like a pro.
But of course the real reason for positing this - it's available in sizes medium to XXX Large. Ah yes, nothing says pro like a XXX large :D

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:45 am

Kemp wrote:I can't believe how uptight some people are about this WC jersey business. It's about the same as Joe Blow walking down the street with an 'I won the Nobel Prize for x' t-shirt. They shouldn't be taken seriously. After all, what business is it of anyone else's what jersey someone decides to wear? I couldn't care if someone rode past me in a pink tu-tu with a feather duster. If that's their thing then so what? Sure, they might look like a goof, but why would you be worried or annoyed about someone else looking like a goof?
+1

I think we have more to worry about than someone elses choice of clothing.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:18 am

Wow, I feel odd, I have 4 jersys, a Green Eggs and Ham one (as pictured earlier) one from a charity ride that I won and the two I wear most, the $10 jobs from Aldi (they are blue and I ride a red bike :shock: )

And Kemp, so very true.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:36 am

Kemp wrote:After all, what business is it of anyone else's what jersey someone decides to wear?
No one's, Kemp.

But I think it's more a lack of judgment to wear a champion's jersey than to wear a tutu.

Respect isn't shown for vets on Anzac Day by filling up your chest with replica medals and ribbons! :smile:

roller

Postby roller » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:56 am

clackers wrote:
Kemp wrote:After all, what business is it of anyone else's what jersey someone decides to wear?
No one's, Kemp.

But I think it's more a lack of judgment to wear a champion's jersey than to wear a tutu.

Respect isn't shown for vets on Anzac Day by filling up your chest with replica medals and ribbons! :smile:
no it's shown by waving a little replica aussie flag that was made in china, maybe people should be looked down on for doing that too, if they didn't fight and die for the flag, how dare they even wave it?
inflammatory statement or idea

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:07 pm

Compairing sports people to war vets is a bit of a stretch.
And a bit insulting to vets.