Embarrassing Jerseys

Cruiserman

Re: Embarrassing Jerseys

Postby Cruiserman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Wow lots of ignorant and insulting people camped on the major climbs in the Tour then hey, often it is a sea of polka dots there. Hmm maybe they are exercising free will and buying a jersey to show which part of the sport they prefer. I have the WC kit for the year of my bike which was the brand ridden by the reigning WC (Paolo Bettini 2007 thus wore it in the 2008 season) it also has rainbow stripes painted on it. I dont wear the kit (mainly because it is white) and have no intention of sanding the stripes off the frame of the bike. The two are complimentary and have nothing to do with my ability or lack thereof on the bike. I also have the quickstep kit from the same period. Should I decide to sell the bike I will probably include both the WC and the team kit with it. If you weren't supposed to have them they would not be for sale on the open market.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:20 pm

PB12IN wrote:Compairing sports people to war vets is a bit of a stretch.
And a bit insulting to vets.
+1

This thread is dead.

- David.

Semar

Postby Semar » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:34 pm

Saw a jersey on ehboy with DE RODE SPURTERS across the front. Could be misinterpreted. :lol:

But this one is a cringer

It’s more like our thoughts are thinking us than we are thinking them.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:09 pm

Kemp wrote:I can't believe how uptight some people are about this WC jersey business. It's about the same as Joe Blow walking down the street with an 'I won the Nobel Prize for x' t-shirt. They shouldn't be taken seriously. After all, what business is it of anyone else's what jersey someone decides to wear? I couldn't care if someone rode past me in a pink tu-tu with a feather duster. If that's their thing then so what? Sure, they might look like a goof, but why would you be worried or annoyed about someone else looking like a goof?
Kemp, I don't think anyone cares who is wearing what on the street, but the jerseys do mean something and there are places where that sort of thing is important. In fact, there are places where that sort of thing is not allowed. There are rules. While there is nothing to stop people from doing things like this in normal life, similarly there is nothing to stop people from being annoyed by it for whatever reason. War medals, tribal tattoos, badges of rank, uniforms, even titles of address are all ways of communicating and they all have a meaning, which is important.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:56 pm

When I was 19 years old I went out and bought a Miguel Indurain Banesto yellow jersey. I still wear it in summer.

I don't buy team gear anymore, but IMO a cyclist wearing a 'pro' jersey is no different to turning up to a casual 5-a-side in the park with a Premier League jersey on.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Cruiserman wrote:Wow lots of ignorant and insulting people camped on the major climbs in the Tour then hey, often it is a sea of polka dots there. Hmm maybe they are exercising free will and buying a jersey to show which part of the sport they prefer.
That is because the sponsor of the KOM jersey hands out a lot of Maillot aux pois T-shirts ( and hats) near the summit of the Tour de France cols... people don't buy them.

pauls51

Postby pauls51 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:33 pm

Damn!!!! I better stop wearing my pies jersey, my real madrid jersey's and my blackhawks jersey's, because apparently I didn't earn them... hahahah what a joke :roll:

At the end of the day we are all on the same team!!! Go out and ride!

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:39 pm

DavidL wrote:
PB12IN wrote:Compairing sports people to war vets is a bit of a stretch.
And a bit insulting to vets.
+1

This thread is dead.

- David.
Not quite.

You know who else liked medals and ribbons? HITLER!

NOW this thread is dead! :lol:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

PA

Postby PA » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:58 pm

People like to show who they support. I am sure it wasn't Cadel Evans I drove past yesterday in his BMC gear but who gives a toss. It is no different to any person who wears a piece of clothing showing support for a Football team or a car racing team or driver.

If I was given a jersey with some design similar to that worn by the KOM or some other award I would not have a problem wearing it. No one is going to think I won it when they see me. :shock:

Some people around here might need to stop reading The Rules and lighten up. Except for the matching kit, wear a team top then your choices are team knicks or black knicks.

Anyway I have had my little rant and now you can go back to saying how ridiculous a rider who wears a yellow jersey on the road looks.
Mouse magnet

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Maybe we should all just ride naked.....

That would give everyone something to complain about then.... Oh my eyes...........

Cheers

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:49 pm

ozzymac wrote:Maybe we should all just ride naked.....

That would give everyone something to complain about then.... Oh my eyes...........

Cheers
Then we'd have people wearing stretch marks they didn't earn.

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:57 pm

ozzymac wrote:Maybe we should all just ride naked.....

Cheers
Its alright I have a fur suit.

so you want a perminant World Naked Bike Ride

Kemp

Postby Kemp » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:35 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Kemp wrote:I can't believe how uptight some people are about this WC jersey business. It's about the same as Joe Blow walking down the street with an 'I won the Nobel Prize for x' t-shirt. They shouldn't be taken seriously. After all, what business is it of anyone else's what jersey someone decides to wear? I couldn't care if someone rode past me in a pink tu-tu with a feather duster. If that's their thing then so what? Sure, they might look like a goof, but why would you be worried or annoyed about someone else looking like a goof?
Kemp, I don't think anyone cares who is wearing what on the street, but the jerseys do mean something and there are places where that sort of thing is important. In fact, there are places where that sort of thing is not allowed. There are rules. While there is nothing to stop people from doing things like this in normal life, similarly there is nothing to stop people from being annoyed by it for whatever reason. War medals, tribal tattoos, badges of rank, uniforms, even titles of address are all ways of communicating and they all have a meaning, which is important.
There are places where wearing a WC jersey would probably be inappropriate, I agree. But if we're going to be specific, the let's be specific. The opening poster is referring to receiving a KOM jersey from a friend or relative. Presumably this rider is not a professional, and therefore is talking about wearing the jersey for everyday public use like most of us on here, and that's the context that I'm speaking to, not a context that involves any kind of official protocols, rules or regulations that apply to professional cyclists.

You're right that they mean something, but meaning is always relative to context. The colour yellow does not always designate the leader of the tour de france, nor does someone wearing a yellow t-shirt, or even someone wearing a yellow t-shirt on a bicycle. The meaning of the jerseys is relevant in the context of professional cycling, but there is a difference between being involved in professional cycling and merely knowing about a jersey that does or does not have some significant meaning. If a rider were to wear the leader's jersey during the tour de france and they were not the leader, then yes -- how offensive and stupid and against the rules. But on the road where those rules don't apply, with everyone else who isn't competing in the tour... so what.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:38 pm

pauls51 wrote:Damn!!!! I better stop wearing my pies jersey, my real madrid jersey's and my blackhawks jersey's, because apparently I didn't earn them...
If you're wearing a Packers jersey, Paul, you're showing support, but if you're also brandishing a replica Superbowl ring, this might not be considered a good call. :grin:

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Kemp wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
There are places where wearing a WC jersey would probably be inappropriate, I agree. But if we're going to be specific, the let's be specific. The opening poster is referring to receiving a KOM jersey from a friend or relative. Presumably this rider is not a professional, and therefore is talking about wearing the jersey for everyday public use like most of us on here, and that's the context that I'm speaking to, not a context that involves any kind of official protocols, rules or regulations that apply to professional cyclists.

You're right that they mean something, but meaning is always relative to context. The colour yellow does not always designate the leader of the tour de france, nor does someone wearing a yellow t-shirt, or even someone wearing a yellow t-shirt on a bicycle. The meaning of the jerseys is relevant in the context of professional cycling, but there is a difference between being involved in professional cycling and merely knowing about a jersey that does or does not have some significant meaning. If a rider were to wear the leader's jersey during the tour de france and they were not the leader, then yes -- how offensive and stupid and against the rules. But on the road where those rules don't apply, with everyone else who isn't competing in the tour... so what.
I agree that people can wear what they want, but I also agree that people are allowed to be annoyed with it. Someone bought up war medals and it's very easy for me to go to a surplus store or online and buy a variety of replica medals (or even real ones). If a veteran got annoyed with me for wearing them because I didn't earn them, he'd be perfectly right to be annoyed. Similarly, if I decided that Maori facial tattoos would be a good idea and some Maori's got annoyed, we'd still both be right to hold our respective opinions.

The argument of "what difference does it make?" is a very complex one. If you want to go down this pathway, maybe we should start discussing art installations such as Serrano's Piss Christ. Symbols are important, to some.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:23 pm

If you wore a Moku (facial tattoo) I can guarantee a Maori would be more than just "a little annoyed" :lol: Your face would most likely be in need of "a little reconstructive surgery".
I am astounded though by the snobbery of some of you guys. Millions of cyclists through the years have worn many well known and historically significant jerseys on their rides. IMO it's reflective of the rich history and fanatical love of the sport.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying the maillot jaune as a result of being proud of Cuddle's efforts. In fact they sell thousands if not more worldwide every year, and they don't all hang on the walls of those who can afford them do they? That you can't wear one because you didn't earn it is a pathetic view.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

skull

Postby skull » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:41 pm

Those trying to compare wearing a world champ or other national champ jersey to impersonating a vet or Maori really need to think about your argument and slightly pull your head in.

Clearer argument below

No for those that brought the whole comparison of sports peeps to veterans argument into this thread "stuff you", trying to use those sort of comparison has pissed me off and unless you have served in warlike service, pull your head in.
Last edited by skull on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:59 pm

I agree the Vets argument is a lot OT.
But IMO it's reflective of the rich history and fanatical love of the sport that the wearing of certain jersey's is a sticking point... personally I don't really care but I would never wear one myself.
If you are going to ride around in a world champions jersey then be prepared for someone to comment on it. Some people are bothered by such comments, some are not.
I prefer my sponsors kit :D .

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Play the ball, not the man, play the ball, not the man, play the ball not the man....I'm repeating this to myself, not to you lot. I'm giving up. There's no point in trying to get people to see both sides of an argument when they're more than happy with the side they're on.

splint

Postby splint » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:31 pm

people CAN wear what they like, but I have to admit we did have a chuckle when we passed a bloke, wearing a polka dot jersey walking his bike up a not too difficult climb in France a couple of months ago.....

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:44 am

Dam it. And here I was about to buy a BELGIUM CHAMPION kit from the Omega Pharma - Quikstep web site.
http://www.omegapharma-quickstep.com/en ... y/catID/23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess they don't mind fans wearing them if they sell them. But seeing as it's a cycling fashion faux pas I guess I'll just continue wearing my htc highroad kit. After all it is cool to wear kit of now defunct teams isn't it? isn't it?

skull

Postby skull » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:44 am

OK I will try and provide my argument a bit clearer since I am not under the influence of a bottle of red.

Trying to pull similarities between Veterans and cyclists is a massive strawman.

Now if someone was to try and impersonate a Veteran they are usually outed and made to present their case. There is a great website http://www.anzmi.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that has great stories of military imposters. There are other ways someone provides support to Veterans by wearing commemorative clothes, flag waving ect. Hell when someone wears camo clothing (which is rather popular) does that mean it is bad form because they are wearing clothing similar to that of the military?

But anyway no way in comparison to a person wearing a jersey of a team, national champs, world champs. Now if the person was wearing the kit to try and play off that they are in such team or are a champ sure, bad form, but they aren't. Hell they aren't even in a race wearing the kit they are out riding around.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:58 am

Just a thought. For those who ridicule polka-dot wearing riders who can't climb, would you feel the same if they were wearing an Assos jersey while riding a $20,000 bike?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

CatCanRide

Postby CatCanRide » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:10 am

If people can buy these jerseys without earning them, are the jerseys really that unique?

Agree that you shouldn't wear these special jerseys in a competition where you have not earned them, but if they are available to the average Joe on the street, then wearing them on the street is surely acceptable.

If you have a problem with that then the appropriate action would be to take it up with the manufacturers who make the jerseys for general sale.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:40 pm

Another take on this issue just like in all avenues of life is that you can't buy taste. I suspect many new to the sport or even recreational riding find it strange that there are "taboos" around what to wear, what to ride and how you set up your bike. This is true of many pastimes and is not sometimes even able to be defended or understood, it just is. Remember some of us come from a time when to ride a bike was a very bold, lonely thing to do, even brave as you only saw old blokes or clubmen out training. To ride a bike invited questions surrounding your manlihood or assumed poverty. You were fair game for every nutter so you developed a shield, a code of behaviour sometimes based on a faraway racing scene only accessible through usually hard to get magazines about what is considered acceptable. This is a perhaps an inadequate explantion but some traditions grow up through adversity and stick. For sure it's arcane and hard to decipher but there you go. Try turning up to a private golf course with the wrong gear. :lol: You will be asked to leave. In the end, it shouldn't matter to anyone of course and for sure the enormous influx of participants coming into cycling is turning many of these shibboleths on its head. (Knee high black socks anyone?) The real issue is getting cycling normalised as an everyday activity where it is not even remarked upon.