Aldi Specials

uart

Re: Aldi Specials

Postby uart » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Toyopet wrote:That's much better value than a national camping/sporting retailer’s so called ‘sale’ at the moment
Well it really depends on the quality of the components and the overall weight as to which one is better deal. I did try one of the Aldi folding bikes a few years ago (no idea if it's the same or even similar to the current offering) and it was a very heavy all steel (except for the rims) construction, which is really a bit of a turn off for a folding bike that you might want to carry.
Last edited by uart on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:07 pm

a female friend bought an aldi comfort bike 3 years ago. after 6 mths stored in a detached garage, all the chrome bits had an extensive coat of rust....and the steel bits were heading the same way. cheap means cheaper metal bits and paint jobs.

simlin

Postby simlin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:32 pm

simlin wrote:I recently bought the $70 mountain bike (both mens and ladies) Its purpose was to ride around the suburb with the kids, to the school/shops/park etc pulling the bike trailer for the littler ones. (one for the wife too just for family dawdles along the local bike paths). Doing the job so far. The hardest part about unboxing and putting it together was the shittyarse brakes.

It's now called my pub bike because I have deployed it on multiple occasions to friends houses as well where there may have been a little too much merriment involved.

I also bought a pair of $20 bib knicks for commuting...splitting at a seem after less than half a dozen wears.
$70 bike still going strong...pulled 50kg of kids in a bike trailer to school, shops. playground etc without too much fuss. Brakes don't have much power...esp with the extra weight to stop...but nothing has broken yet! I think I have got my moneys worth.

nicks are still on the sewing pile...i'll get around to them eventually.

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:44 am

Anybody spot any $349 MTB 29ers that were released 2wks ago? :) didn't see a single bike box in any of the Aldis I've popped into since.

Latest cattledog suggests Crane 20" Folder is making a comeback next week.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:37 am

One of my cycling group members bought the Aldi MTB. For the money it looks a reasonable bike.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

8Track

Postby 8Track » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:07 am

I bought two of the Aldi Crane 29er mountain bikes for my wife and I to go riding together. She's not too confident on a road bike. She doesn't like the geometry nor the skinny tyres. Also given we live in a hilly area, the low gearing on these bikes should work well.

The bikes are pretty heavy, but they're sturdy, robust, and the component quality seems pretty good. After putting them together I just needed to adjust the brakes and derailleurs and they're ready to go. We are heading out for our first ride on them today.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:11 am

Aldi grey or blue 7sp gripshift 20" folding bikes will be on sale on 29th at $149.

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:57 pm

I'm hoping Aldi bring out the Crane pink undershirts (you know, the ones "similar" to Rapha)
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:34 am

I made my modest investment in the Aldi folding bike yesterday. Perhaps there is some kind of cycling renaissance in SW Sydney, as the first store I visited had sold out (about mid day) and I had to venture a bit further afield to get one. It seems to be surprisingly sturdy and well made for the price of a mid range pair of pedals. I don't fancy my chances of knocking over any Strava KOMs on it but I thought I might leave it in the car, so that, if I find myself somewhere scenic with time on my hands, I can go for a spin without having to plan it in advance.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:49 am

Philistine wrote:I made my modest investment in the Aldi folding bike yesterday. Perhaps there is some kind of cycling renaissance in SW Sydney, as the first store I visited had sold out (about mid day) and I had to venture a bit further afield to get one. It seems to be surprisingly sturdy and well made for the price of a mid range pair of pedals. I don't fancy my chances of knocking over any Strava KOMs on it but I thought I might leave it in the car, so that, if I find myself somewhere scenic with time on my hands, I can go for a spin without having to plan it in advance.
My wife nabbed the last one at the store she went to, and she was there 5 minutes after opening time! She scored a grey, which is quite a lot nicer than the catalogue showed. I had to adjust the barrel adjuster on the rear mech and put a bit of extra air in the tyres, but otherwise everything was pretty well sorted and ready to ride out of the box. For $150 it's better than I expected.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

sertse

Postby sertse » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:22 pm

I completed the Bobbin Head and Spring Cycle mass rides using an earlier version of the ALDI folding bike. It held up but I really wouldn't recommend it for that though it was the spark that got me to get a road bike and down this rabbit hole.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:43 pm

Plenty of fold-up bikes left in my local Aldi,and also repair stands, but no MTBs

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:37 pm

:D
sertse wrote: ....down this rabbit hole.
Q - is that you? Are you walking among us?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:08 pm

Ross wrote:Plenty of fold-up bikes left in my local Aldi,and also repair stands, but no MTBs
It seems Aldi are trying again on Wed 13 March, this time with folding electric bikes $800. Other bike stuff, incl usual MTB also available

kalil

Postby kalil » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Aldi are also doing this MTB for $90 next Wednesday.

The last $350 29er MTBs they were selling got very good reviews.

Obviously this is bike for $90 which is very questionable in terms of quality but out of sheer curiosity I want to know how it is.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:30 pm

That fork angle is scary enough

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:39 pm

jasonc wrote:That fork angle is scary enough
I think its more like a SFSO. Suspension fork shaped object.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:08 pm

18kg :shock:
kalil wrote:Obviously this is bike for $90 which is very questionable in terms of quality but out of sheer curiosity I want to know how it is.
If you really want to know, I've got one which I've marked for the hard rubbish in June. You can collect it from North Essendon if you want it. It's only about 5 years old, and had very light use. A relative asked me to "fix" it. I messed around with it for about half an hour before deciding that there was too much wrong with it to bother. I told them they'd need to spend some money on things like pedals, cables, etc. They told me to chuck it out, because it would cost more to buy the parts than the bike is worth. Honestly, I don't know why they bother putting the suspension forks on them. They'd be better without it. The V brakes are made from cheap pressed steel which flexes when you pull the lever. The shifters are rubbish. There are no parts on it I'd keep for other bikes, except the bell.

Based upon this sample of 1, my assessment is that these "bikes" are a net liability and should be avoided.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:31 am

kalil wrote:Image

Obviously this is bike for $90 which is very questionable in terms of quality but out of sheer curiosity I want to know how it is.
Avoid. I stripped about eight of them down & rebuilt. There was often no grease in bearings (wheel, bottom bracket, headset), inappropriately torqued threads, bearings either severely binding or loose.
Last edited by twowheels on Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:37 pm

rkelsen wrote: A relative asked me to "fix" it. I messed around with it for about half an hour before deciding that there was too much wrong with it to bother. I told them they'd need to spend some money on things like pedals, cables, etc. They told me to chuck it out, because it would cost more to buy the parts than the bike is worth.
This is always going to be a problem when the cost of a new bike cost is similar to the cost of a basic service. After a few years the hard rubbish pile is the inevitable outcome.

Realistically though, this is no different to any of the $100/$110 Big-W or K-Mart offerings.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:10 am

twowheels wrote:

Avoid. I stripped about eight of them down & rebuilt. There was often no grease in bearings (wheel, bottom bracket, headset), inappropriately torqued threads, bearings either severely binding or loose.
You can say the same about most bikes out there. Cheaper to leave the factory sans grease and get who ever is building it to grease it up. God knows how many Canyon's I've worked on with next to no grease in the headset.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:06 pm

Ultrasonic Cleaner is there next Saturday for those who want to get their parts extra clean :P Not sure if its any good - I just use a brush lol

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:50 pm

fergy1987 wrote:Ultrasonic Cleaner is there next Saturday for those who want to get their parts extra clean :P Not sure if its any good - I just use a brush lol
I bought one on a previous sale. A brush and Kero is quicker

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:52 pm

Thinking I might give the rear camera a go.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:48 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
twowheels wrote:

You can say the same about most bikes out there. Cheaper to leave the factory sans grease and get who ever is building it to grease it up. God knows how many Canyon's I've worked on with next to no grease in the headset.
Any bike I've worked on with a LBS sticker has greased bearings.