Aldi Specials

rodneycc

Re: Aldi Specials

Postby rodneycc » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:03 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
uart wrote:Arh, I missed out on the chain lube again!

Just stopped by the local Aldi tonight to pick up a few groceries and I noticed the wd40 related products are back. As per last time, tons of cleaner and degreaser still left, but no sign of any chain lube.
There were a dozen cans of chain lube in Brandon Park Aldi, no cleaner or degreaser though. Some clothing that didn't inspire me and the pumps likewise.

However there were also several work stands and 2 large 29'rs.

Cheers,

Cameron
Weren't tempted to go a 29er to go with the Roadie Cam? :-) Another week or two for the discount to roll through and see what's left.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:39 pm

Not for me.

I wouldn't have the opportunity to ride it. I've barely ridden my race bike, #2 road bike or track bike for ages, and my retro commuter is awaiting a conversion to become my Friday fixie. And that's before I consider a bike built for a discipline I have no talent for.

Besides I've got close enough to S-1 for comfort.

Cheers,

Cameron

Jash Rider

Postby Jash Rider » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:06 pm

Went to Kings beach this morning, beautiful swim! My parents live not far from Kings and when we got there for lunch my dad says,

"Wanna come to Aldi?"

"Why?"

"Get a bike."

"Sure!"

He picked up the Claris endowed, carbon forked road bike for a measly $299.

I almost bought one for myself as a wet weather bike, but not having been able to ride it yet I chose to wait.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:02 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Besides I've got close enough to S-1 for comfort.
Yeah the problem with that "rule" is that S is much clearer in hindsight & in such unfortunate circumstances -1 is rarely sufficient to repair the damage.

spokes2017

Postby spokes2017 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:53 pm

I bought an Aldi car bike carrier recently. I didn't keep the instructions. Using it for the first time today. I can't unlock it to get my bike off. Can anyone tell me what the trick is please? A youtube video would be very useful too, if anyone has the time and skills.

simlin

Postby simlin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:01 am

I recently bought the $70 mountain bike (both mens and ladies) Its purpose was to ride around the suburb with the kids, to the school/shops/park etc pulling the bike trailer for the littler ones. (one for the wife too just for family dawdles along the local bike paths). Doing the job so far. The hardest part about unboxing and putting it together was the shittyarse brakes.

It's now called my pub bike because I have deployed it on multiple occasions to friends houses as well where there may have been a little too much merriment involved.

I also bought a pair of $20 bib knicks for commuting...splitting at a seem after less than half a dozen wears.

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:06 am

$10 Digital Scale weighs up to 50kg on sale Saturday 1/7

For those of you who are into weighing your stuff!

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:40 am

simlin wrote:

I also bought a pair of $20 bib knicks for commuting...splitting at a seem after less than half a dozen wears.
I bought 2 pairs of those knicks last time they were on sale. I find them pretty good, but I did have a seam problem on one of them. Luckily, it was small enough for my limited sewing skills to fix.

I think that the sewing quality is very hit and miss - literally.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:55 pm

More bike stuff coming soon from Aldi

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:20 pm

That light set USB rechargeable?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:03 pm

jasonc wrote:That light set USB rechargeable?
Yes - Front 160 lumen, Rear 40 lumen, USB rechargeable

Sirrus

Postby Sirrus » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:32 pm

Those lights maybe be a good back up set for at work.

Can anyone offer any insight on the quality of the bike cleaner and chain lube that is also in the catalog?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:43 am

Sirrus wrote:Those lights maybe be a good back up set for at work.
yep.

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:14 am

Sirrus wrote:Can anyone offer any insight on the quality of the bike cleaner and chain lube that is also in the catalog?
Would be helpfull to mention what the products are ;
https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... 0ml-500ml/

Muc-Off Urban All-Over Bike Cleaner
Muc-Off Urban Chain and Gear Degreaser
Muc-Off Urban Dry Oil

Sirrus

Postby Sirrus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:18 am

Warin wrote: Would be helpfull to mention what the products are ;
Very helpful thank you Sir

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:40 am

I'd be interested to see how the lights are once someone buys them. I have a similar pair that it looks like those were 'styled on' that cost me 4x as much, they're Lezyne Zecto Drive, which I never really liked much. If I set them to mid-range Flashing mode I'd get my commute to work (~30min each way) and if I forgot to charge them overnight they'd die the next commute. Just felt like I was constantly charging them and if they sat more than ~24hrs they'd be flat. I've now got Moon Nebula set and on 1x charge, flashing mode, they last me about a month before they say they've got 25% left and I charge them!
But I could do with a pair for my other bike/s that I ride less often so hopefully these are a bit more useful than the Lezynes.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:34 am

Ant_S wrote:I'd be interested to see how the lights are once someone buys them. I have a similar pair that it looks like those were 'styled on' that cost me 4x as much, they're Lezyne Zecto Drive, which I never really liked much. If I set them to mid-range Flashing mode I'd get my commute to work (~30min each way) and if I forgot to charge them overnight they'd die the next commute. Just felt like I was constantly charging them
Yeah, at 160 Lumen in that small form factor you can be pretty sure that the front one at least is going to be fairly short run time. I might look at these as an emergency "get you home" kit, but TBH that's about all I'd expect. Perhaps only an hour run time on the front, with anything over that being a bonus. Though hopefully they've at least got a couple of (steady) brightness settings so that you can trade off the intensity for run time, I can't use front flash on most of my commute.

I've got a different (but similar size and clip on design) from a previous Aldi special, and the rear one goes for ages so I only charge it every few weeks, but the front one (40 Lumens) only goes about 2hr on full brightness and 4 hrs on low. It's actually only half those stated times before the low battery indicator comes on, but I've found that they keep going well after that, so you can pretty safely double the time from when that happens.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:26 pm

While you are at Aldi, they have some Duffel Style dry bags for $19.99. 3 sizes, 25, 44 and 50L. Not too bad a quality, would be OK as a rack topper. Also got some 900g folding chains that seem reasonably robust. The down jackets are a bit bulky, but the wool socks and undies seem OK. Didn't look at the 99 buck down sleeping bags in case I decided I needed an in case sleeping bag....

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:03 pm

I brought some rollers from Audi a couple of weeks ago. They seem a little on the soft side and their durability will be known in the future but at $15 a hit they are very reasonsable
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

defy1

Postby defy1 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:04 am

Bike Specials are back on again.
Had a look around and bought the Netti shorts and Muc off cleaning products.
Don't bother with the Sunnies and LED lights,they are pretty garbage.

uart

Postby uart » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Picked up a few things there this arvo.

1. Netti Jersey. Looks pretty decent quality for the 24/25 dollars I paid. Nice firm elastic in the back and (3) pockets. Nice silver reflective trim below the pockets as well.

Available colours were white and black or high viz lime green (with black trim). I got a hi-viz green one in size 2XL. Sizing wasn't too bad, I was kinda between the XL and 2XL but got the 2XL because I'm often wearing a thermal under my jerseys in this weather. The XL wasn't a bad fit but the 2XL was a bit more roomy.

A lot better than last time they had some off-brand jerseys there, and I tried on the very largest size they had on offer and still looked like Matt Lucas on Little Britain when he's wearing a ridiculously tight mid-riff top while declaring that he's the only gay in the village. 8)

I predict that the larger sizes are going to go pretty quickly. I was there about 3pm and there were still loads of S M and L sizes, but only a few XL and 2XLs.

2. Chain lube. Worth a try at $8. Nice milky colour looks like it's probably PTFE based. Only 100 mL but it seems to go a long way. I applied a few drops to each link on my chain just now it it lubed up quite nicely, and hardly seemed to use much of the bottle at all. I'd say there's a couple of dozen applications in there.

3. I got the light set. Yeah maybe they look a bit cheap but they work well enough. They look like plastic but the package says anodized aluminium. Haven't bothered doing a scratch test to confirm, but in any case they look like they'd stand up to a few drops without any issue. Just testing the run time now, will report back later.
Last edited by uart on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:53 pm

I grabbed a C02 inflator and canisters. Look OK but the proof of the pudding will be when they are needed. Will report back.

cjrich

Postby cjrich » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:19 pm

Got the light set for the wifes bike. Good thing she never rides in wet weather as the USB port isn't well protected. Should be ok for her fair weather riding though.
CJ
- 2015 Cervelo R3
- 2013 Cannondale CAAD 8
- 2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:18 am

Aldi is selling 7speed folding bikes this Saturday. Only 2 colours of Blue or Grey.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:04 pm

That's much better value than a national camping/sporting retailer’s so called ‘sale’ at the moment