Aldi Specials

Mugglechops

Re: Aldi Specials

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:25 pm

So how bad is the mag trainer?

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:49 am

Mugglechops wrote:So how bad is the mag trainer?
It works, but geez it's loud. Unless your budget will stretch to a fluid trainer it's probably as good as anything else in the same price range though.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:15 am

Thanks. I may look at a fluid trainer

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:34 pm

Aldi merino cycling socks, very nice!! I will grab a couple more pairs if I get the chance.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:04 pm

Xplora wrote:Aldi merino cycling socks, very nice!! I will grab a couple more pairs if I get the chance.

When were they on sale?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:04 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Xplora wrote:Aldi merino cycling socks, very nice!! I will grab a couple more pairs if I get the chance.

When were they on sale?

What he said.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:10 pm

Might have been a while ago. Found them in a display.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:33 pm

I think it must have been a few weeks ago. Found some in a local aldi. Ankle length but cheap 5.99 :)

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:01 am

I got a few pairs of these when they were on sale a few weeks ago. Very happy with them. If I saw them again, would buy a couple more pairs.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:50 am

WhingingPom wrote:I got a few pairs of these when they were on sale a few weeks ago. Very happy with them. If I saw them again, would buy a couple more pairs.
Are they only ankle height or are there longer length ones?

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:57 am

warthog1 wrote:
WhingingPom wrote:I got a few pairs of these when they were on sale a few weeks ago. Very happy with them. If I saw them again, would buy a couple more pairs.
Are they only ankle height or are there longer length ones?
The ones I got come to just below my ankle (size 39 feet, can't remember what size the socks were). Don't know if there were other options. I only got to the store 10 minutes before they opened so I was way down the line of seagulls wanting cycling gear.

tron07

Postby tron07 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:36 am

Saw lot of Aldi bike stuffs on clearence at Chatswood. $10 Bike computer at $5, Bike rack, trainer, etc... cant remember the price, but I think it $10 or $20 off from the regular price.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon May 04, 2015 1:02 pm

Still not worth it.

octagonalman

Postby octagonalman » Mon May 04, 2015 1:19 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Still not worth it.
What's not worth it? I've found the bike computers from Aldi to be simple and reliable. Good value.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Tue May 05, 2015 9:41 am

octagonalman wrote:
What's not worth it? I've found the bike computers from Aldi to be simple and reliable. Good value.
Yep,

got one on the MTB and it's fine. Not as fancy looking as the others but it tells me the time, how far I've gone and how fast I'm going. What more do i need, really?
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue May 05, 2015 9:50 am

octagonalman wrote:
Sorry, I was talking more about the trainers, racks, hoists, etc. from Aldi. Absolute rubbish products, much like their bikes, that do more to harm cycling than promote it. The gillette, arm warmers, leg warmers, gloves etc. that I've bought from them have all been good, though.

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Tue May 05, 2015 10:03 am

Aldi has bananas on special at the moment... Fresh out of Columbia with some brilliant extra flavouring.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:40 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
octagonalman wrote:
Sorry, I was talking more about the trainers, racks, hoists, etc. from Aldi. Absolute rubbish products, much like their bikes, that do more to harm cycling than promote it. The gillette, arm warmers, leg warmers, gloves etc. that I've bought from them have all been good, though.
How do they do harm to cycling? If they fulfil their function and the purchaser is happy then who cares what some bike snobs on an internet forum think? If you don't have a lot of disposable income or don't want to spend a lot of money on a bike but still want one for riding short distances with your kids or to the shops, then sure they may not be the best on the market or win any races, but they will do a passable job. Horses for courses.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue May 05, 2015 3:14 pm

djw47 wrote: How do they do harm to cycling? If they fulfil their function and the purchaser is happy then who cares what some bike snobs on an internet forum think? If you don't have a lot of disposable income or don't want to spend a lot of money on a bike but still want one for riding short distances with your kids or to the shops, then sure they may not be the best on the market or win any races, but they will do a passable job. Horses for courses.
They harm cycling by doing a crap version of the job they're meant to be doing. It turns people off doing it.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue May 05, 2015 3:30 pm

Discovered on Sat that a mate had purchased an Aldi bike. When asked how long he had been taking ICE, he responded that if he didn't ride it, cheapness was more important than quality and if he did ride it, it's crap performance would merely encourage him to repair the once was expensive carbon mountain bike he still has in the shed. I still think he is nuts, but at least he has his reasons.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

m@

Postby m@ » Wed May 06, 2015 5:18 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
octagonalman wrote:
I have a trainer and workstand - while the quality is inline with the price (i.e. not great) I wouldn't say either is rubbish. Their BSOs, though...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed May 06, 2015 5:50 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
octagonalman wrote:

BFV, I have four hoists for swinging the bikes off the garage ceiling. I can't fault 'em. They are a bit awkward to fit but once they are up they are there for good. A cheap way to store bikes. Last one I bought was marked down to $6.95 or something ridiculous. So I get plenty of floor space and there is no tripping over bikes in the garage.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

djw47

Postby djw47 » Wed May 06, 2015 6:31 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
djw47 wrote: How do they do harm to cycling? If they fulfil their function and the purchaser is happy then who cares what some bike snobs on an internet forum think? If you don't have a lot of disposable income or don't want to spend a lot of money on a bike but still want one for riding short distances with your kids or to the shops, then sure they may not be the best on the market or win any races, but they will do a passable job. Horses for courses.
They harm cycling by doing a crap version of the job they're meant to be doing. It turns people off doing it.
Not everybody wants, needs or can afford even a moderately expensive bike. Many people buy bikes as an alternative to paying for public transport or a car - not everybody has huge disposable income to spend on bikes and will be quite happy to own a functional if not flashy bike or equipment that costs a fraction of the top range gear. If there wasn't a market for this stuff, they wouldn't sell it. For some people who buy it, it may be used once then stuck in a garage, others may use it all the time and others may use it as their first step into a new hobby and then upgrade when they reach the limits of the cheap gear. Whatever, it does not turn people off from cycling unless you're coming at it from the view of somebody who is frankly a bike snob.

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Wed May 06, 2015 7:29 pm

its ski equipment on the 16th
stuff like gloves which could work for bikes
also base layers etc
2015 Giant Cross City 0

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed May 06, 2015 7:42 pm

I have seen first hand that one of those heavy steel Kmart bikes can put some people off riding bikes forever. In this case the son of a mate bought a BSO and found it such a pain to keep on the road with gearing that worked badly and a bike that was just too damn heavy to really enjoy riding.
I did try to adjust the thing to get it functioning better but that only lasted a couple of rides before it stuffed up again.
It was only by allowing him to have a couple of rides on my own road bike that convinced him that riding a bike was great fun, and a great way to exercise.
The BSO went in the hard rubbish and I found him a secondhand CF bike with 105 gear at a very good price and he is now someone that loves riding his bike and is currently looking to upgrade that bike to something better still. :D