Aldi Specials

Xplora

Re: Aldi Specials

Postby Xplora » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:12 pm

Aldi roof racks stink. If you value your bike, avoid.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:14 pm

:lol: I picked up the work stand, rode it home on the bike with it under my arm :mrgreen:

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:49 pm

Xplora wrote:Aldi roof racks stink. If you value your bike, avoid.
Well the one I bought is only 1 day old, and so far, so good ... no smell or stinks at all.

How long did it take before yours turned foul ?

It came with a 3 year warranty, so I'm hopeful that your stink arose within that
timeframe so I can claim a refund/repair.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:58 pm

The issue is the quality and security. Mine had to be screwed down crazy tight and was a juggling act to get the bike vertical, plus the screws loosened over long trips. Yikes! Kick in the beanbag is that the rack doesn't lock to the mount so while your bike locked, The Mount could've been removed and both stolen!

It does a job and cheap but it's not enough for a quality road bike.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:22 pm

Xplora wrote:The issue is the quality and security. Mine had to be screwed down crazy tight and was a juggling act to get the bike vertical, plus the screws loosened over long trips. Yikes! Kick in the beanbag is that the rack doesn't lock to the mount so while your bike locked, The Mount could've been removed and both stolen!

It does a job and cheap but it's not enough for a quality road bike.
Can't comment on the "crazy tight" requirement arising for long trips as I've only done short trips so far (most of my need). Nevertheless, I've added a spring washer (and flat washer) under each of the front mount's nuts to make sure the carrier front mount is well-secured to the carrier channel. Lock nuts would likely be better, but probably weren't supplied because
they can't be reversed and reused if the carrier is to be mounted on the driver's side of the vehicle.

The T-bolts securing to the roof-racks rely on a plastic cam-action lever, which does need to be pretty tight to be effective. My roof racks have locks that would make stealing the mount + bike very difficult (it's hard enough just sliding the carrier along the roof rack channels for installation and removal). And bike holder lock seems to be effective in terms of preventing the grip on the down-tube being released (and bike removed) while still mounted on the carrier.

If a thief wanted your $5K plus bike, I doubt the locks on the more expensive racks would last long against a portable drill or angle grinder (nor would my roof-rack locks).
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:35 am

Xplora wrote::lol: I picked up the work stand, rode it home on the bike with it under my arm :mrgreen:
You're doing it wrong! Bike goes on stand, arm over bike. :?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

tgdavies

Postby tgdavies » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:44 am

No bike stands at Marrickville or Leichhardt last night :-(
And it's really time I got one...

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:07 am

not much use to you but they still had them at chirnside park when we went in last night...
and some of the phone pocket thingies, glasses and toolkits
2015 Giant Cross City 0

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:42 am

used my phone pocket thingy this morning. it fits. too tight for me phone (I do have the biggest phone there is before you'd call it a phablet)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Those MTB lids must be made for people with normal heads, massive pressure point at the upper rear of my scone :-(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

SimonInVic

Postby SimonInVic » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Picked up a bike stand yesterday as had been after one for ages, pretty sturdy and it comes with a years warranty so can't complain does everything a more expensive model would for a fraction of the price:)

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:22 pm

Plenty of bike stuff in the couple of Aldi Canberra stores I visited today (Belconnen and Kippax).The Belconnen store had the retro flat bar gents bike that was on special a few weeks ago maked down to $159

stephend2112

Postby stephend2112 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:06 pm

My local has a Bluetooth HRM for 30 (was 40). It was in the glass cabinet where they display electronics. Didn't get it today but probably will. Today I got the socks, a top & the spoke reflectors from a few weeks ago marked down a dollar.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:56 pm

Got a stand also happy enough with it- it stands up and holds a bike.

octagonalman

Postby octagonalman » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:41 pm

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... tyre-bike/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aldi boys' fatbikes on sale next week.

march83

Postby march83 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:08 am

A bit left of field - last week there was a bunch of travel and luggage specials. I grabbed a luggage scale which has worked pretty well as a bike scale for all you weight weenies.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:08 pm

march83 wrote:A bit left of field - last week there was a bunch of travel and luggage specials. I grabbed a luggage scale which has worked pretty well as a bike scale for all you weight weenies.
Yeah, I got one of these, they work well. I tested it against a calibrated spring scale and it was pretty accurate, within 1/10th of a pound. (ummm or 0.05 kg for the imperially challenged) Good enough for bikes and frames but probably not useful if you are drilling holes in chainrings to reduce weight :wink:

Richard

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:03 am

Very interested in the Kid's Fattie, although I figure given it's nature that it would be a tough bike to deal with with mud and sand and children destroying it and replacing tubes... but fun never is free :)

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:02 pm

march83 wrote:A bit left of field - last week there was a bunch of travel and luggage specials. I grabbed a luggage scale which has worked pretty well as a bike scale for all you weight weenies.
Saw these in the catalogue so picked one up, have now realised my MTB is a kilo heavier than what I thought it was. Upgraditis is now kicking in...

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:44 pm

Thanks for the tip, grabbed one of the luggage scales today and mine has improved the weights of all my bikes by about 0.10kg from my bathroom scale method.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:59 pm

danny the boy wrote:
Saw these in the catalogue so picked one up, have now realised my MTB is a kilo heavier than what I thought it was. Upgraditis is now kicking in...
Don't panic ...My scale reads 1 kg lighter I can lend it to you. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:11 pm

9 March 2016 Lists
Merino Wool Cycling Jersey $34.99
Double Wall Drink Bottle $9.99
Bike Saddle bag - Set of 2 - Practical clip on device $19.99

Rob

Abby

Postby Abby » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:25 pm

My wife uses the Aldi merino wool jersey from last time they were on sale. She absolutely loves it - super-breathable, and reckons its her most comfortable jersey (even on hot days!).

Gonna try and get one for myself this time... :-)
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

RetroPilot

Postby RetroPilot » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:48 am

$20 is pretty dear for the helmets..

the Southern Star-style hybrids 700cx35 they had recently had been knocked down to $80 to clear the last of them..

Exactly the kind of specials I'm hoping to chance upon when I've just arrived on vacation in America and trying to hunt down cheap usable used bike.

Most of ALDIs non-grocery non-food variety stuff clothes, sporting goods, hardware, is mostly Chinese junk-store grade stuff at 150-200% of the Chinese junk store price..but you can say the same about Kmart, BigW and the recently defunct DSE.

Actually DSEs markup on electronic/AV knick-nacks was more like 500-1000%.

the ALDI electronics , PVRs and what not, Tevion-brand, used to be a worry, because like all such devices they had a very high come-back rate, they would only replace/refund up to 60 or 90 days, the rest of the 12-month warranty, you had to run back and forth in circles like a blue-arsed fly, to an unreliable and elusive bunch called 'Pebble Electronics" in Scoresby..ALDIs on-phone customer service was not too bad courtesy wise once you had gotten through the usual menus, and if it was actually a time of the week when they were actually working, eventually maybe 2 months after the failure of the unit I was told to go up and collect a substitute replacement--a short time later the Pebble mob went into receivership completely.When I went there there was almost an entire room filled with failed units the same model as I was trying to return.They could not even source enough new replacement units of the same model , that actually worked, to replace them with.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:36 am

A novel item at my local Aldi was a 25 l dry bag backpack for $69.99. Maybe from a previous week's catalogue but stumbled on it while checking out this week's cycling specials. Quite a bit cheaper than dry-bag panniers, although carrying weight on your back isn't
as comfortable.

Nevertheless, looks a great solution for all-weather riders or commuters --- previously my practice has been to use a cyclindrical dry bag inside a draw string bag. Can't wait for a serious downpour to give it a workout :)
WombatK