Aldi Specials

uart

Re: Aldi Specials

Postby uart » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:17 pm

human909 wrote:If they are those little circular ones then I've had excellent run time. Probably 3++ hours.... Which is great for something that size.
Yeah, the little circular ones with the rubber strap to hook easily onto the bars or seatpost.

How long have you had yours Human909? Did you just get them at the recent Aldi special a couple of weeks back, or did you get them on an earlier occasion?

Unfortunately what sometimes happens with Aldi stuff is that they have a special and it's really good value. Then a year or so later they have whats looks to be the same item but the quality has dropped. I'm not saying that it always happens that way, but I've definitely seen it happen on a few items.

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:48 am

uart wrote:Yeah, the little circular ones with the rubber strap to hook easily onto the bars or seatpost.
These? If so I've had mine for a few months now, I'll fully charge mine at work and leave it on in my desk drawers. I'll report back this afternoon :).

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:13 am

9.05am I am assuming it's fully charged as the small red LED has gone out while it's still attached to my PC.

9.10am Switched on...

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:04 pm

Still going strong 2.04pm

uart

Postby uart » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:44 pm

TonyMax wrote: 9.10am Switched on...
Still going strong 2.04pm
Thanks Tony. I can only assume that the ones yourself and human909 have are different to the more recent Aldi offering of just a few weeks ago (can't really see yours clearly in the photo because of the glare). Mine certainly doesn't get anything near that run time.

Tested mine again last night. Connected to the computer and fully charged (even left it connect for several hours after it was fully charged just to be sure). Disconnected and timed it on high.
Start 8.50pm
Low battery warning on at 9.53pm

Just over one hour of (warning free) run time :( . I suspect there is still a bit of run time remaining after the low battery LED comes on, but not sure of exactly how long.

BTW Tony and Human9090, does yours have a low battery (red LED) warning. If not then it's definitely a different model.

Mine looks like this.

uart

Postby uart » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:58 pm

Can anyone who bought these lights when they were on sale recently (about 2 or 3 weeks ago) please do a quick run time test on the front light. Just turn it on to high and time it until the red battery LED comes on.

I want to know if mine is faulty or if they're all like this. Let me know. It shouldn't take too long to test if mine is anything to go by.

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:37 pm

Yours are different to mine, mine are definitely more of a be seen light and don't have a warning LED.

These are mine :(.

uart

Postby uart » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:03 pm

Thanks Tony. Yeah that's definitely a different light.

The specs on the newer one that I have show about double the power and a lot more Lumens, so I guess that goes some way to explain the shorter run time. I'm guessing that they probably have the same or similar battery.

Mine didn't specify a battery Ah capacity, but 220 mAh would probably explain the run time that I'm seeing at 0.5W on the front light.

BTW. I should make it clear that I was only timing how long until the low batt warning led came on. I suspect that this is quite an early warning, and that the actual run time might be about double that time.

bane

Postby bane » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:53 pm

Noticed the trainer in the August 20 special buys - Looks pretty good to me. Anyone know if and how it could be hooked up to zwift?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:38 pm

You'll need a power meter

hangfire

Postby hangfire » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:42 pm

is it another bike week?

what else is on the 20th?
2015 Giant Cross City 0

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:08 pm

uart wrote:Tested mine again last night. Connected to the computer and fully charged (even left it connect for several hours after it was fully charged just to be sure). Disconnected and timed it on high.
Start 8.50pm

I wouldn't worry too much about the low battery warning. Test it until it stops.

I have the earlier aldi set which included the same rear light as the two guys above and a 1000lumin high powered front light.
The rear light seems to go forever, I will do a 4.5 hour ride then get home and leave it going for 4 hours and its still flashing lol.
The front light does similar to yours, low warning on at around 1hr - 1.5hr but will continue to run on high for up to 3 hours.

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:15 pm

A question for the two guys with the little circular front/rear set above. Do they have an 0-ring seal when you screw it off the base?

As I said above, I get great performance out of mine but could do with some more waterproofing. Mine has a groove but no 0-ring?
It also unscrewed itself on a ride and dropped off at 30km/h. Shows how tuff they are lol, some nasty battle scars but still works a treat lol.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:20 pm

This Saturday has motorcycle stuff, including base layers, merino mid layer, and gloves with carbon fibre knuckles.

I bit the bullet and got a road bike as a commuter. They were starting to get scarce and I didn't want to miss out whilst waiting for a $50 price reduction. I reckon I can get the bars into a similar position to my other bikes if I can get my hands on a long enough stem.

Cheers,

Cameron

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:52 pm

chriso_29er wrote:A question for the two guys with the little circular front/rear set above. Do they have an 0-ring seal when you screw it off the base?
The tiny little ones? I've just taken mine off to charge it I'll go have a look.

*leaves and comes back*

Yes there's a tiny o ring between the thread and the grooves that you can see when it's assembled.

I've also gotta say the long sleeved jersey I got a few weeks back is great. I haven't used the zipper pocket but the neoprene stuff down the front is a good wind blocker by itself and I've worn it home with no base layer on my last few commutes down to 4 degrees. The merino parts dry out fine hanging up at work during the day too.

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:19 pm

Thanks mate,

Seems my o-ring was missing from new.
Though I do wonder how much difference it would make as the lense doesn't seem waterproof anyway.

Having said that mine has done many soaking wet rides and only had one minor hiccup where it stopped working until I dried it out on the heater when I got home.

malnar

Postby malnar » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:36 am

chriso_29er wrote:
uart wrote:Tested mine again last night. Connected to the computer and fully charged (even left it connect for several hours after it was fully charged just to be sure). Disconnected and timed it on high.
Start 8.50pm

I wouldn't worry too much about the low battery warning. Test it until it stops.

I have the earlier aldi set which included the same rear light as the two guys above and a 1000lumin high powered front light.
The rear light seems to go forever, I will do a 4.5 hour ride then get home and leave it going for 4 hours and its still flashing lol.
The front light does similar to yours, low warning on at around 1hr - 1.5hr but will continue to run on high for up to 3 hours.
Same experience with the front light for me. The low batt warning comes on after about an hour of use but the light continues to work normally for hours after that.

bane

Postby bane » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:47 pm

jasonc wrote:You'll need a power meter
Is there a particular type that would fit on these? Sorry I don't know much about these things.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:01 am

bane wrote:
jasonc wrote:You'll need a power meter
Is there a particular type that would fit on these? Sorry I don't know much about these things.
a power meter on your bike
stages
vectors
pioneer
Powertap (P1, C1 etc)
so it depends on your bike and where you want to read the power from

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:25 pm

So, I compared the brightness of the aldi front light to my basta 2w front light that was the benchmark when new. With brand new batteries.. with both lights on high the basta **just** had the edge but there wasn't much in it. As the disposable battery in the basta went down in charge I expect the aldi light would be brighter.

Plus, the Aldi light is USB chargeable, and much smaller and lighter than the basta. Price wise, Aldi for $20 including a rear VS $80 for the Basta 6 years ago.

That's progress for you.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:26 pm

This Saturday, ALDI has exercise gear on special. I can recommend the compression tights for $14.99, because I bought some a couple of months ago.

They claim to be seam-free, multi-sport, compression leggings. They do men's and women's and also shorts, tops etc.

I'm sceptical about the claims of "compression" clothing, and I simply bought them to be a lightweight, warmish underlayer. (I'm in Brisbane, so it's all I need in winter.)

Anyway, I find them comfortable and they do keep the seams away from where they should be kept away from. Their sizing (by waist size) seems to be pretty accurate too.

I will probably get a second pair this weekend.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:34 pm

RobertL wrote:This Saturday, ALDI has exercise gear on special. I can recommend the compression tights for $14.99, because I bought some a couple of months ago.

They claim to be seam-free, multi-sport, compression leggings. They do men's and women's and also shorts, tops etc.

I'm sceptical about the claims of "compression" clothing, and I simply bought them to be a lightweight, warmish underlayer. (I'm in Brisbane, so it's all I need in winter.)

Anyway, I find them comfortable and they do keep the seams away from where they should be kept away from. Their sizing (by waist size) seems to be pretty accurate too.

I will probably get a second pair this weekend.
was thinking of getting a pair of these too - I bought them last time but they are WAY too small for me now :P seem to have packed on a few extra kgs lol. But definitely are a good layer to keep your legs warm on a cold Brisbane morning!. warmers just seem to be too hot!

uart

Postby uart » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:24 pm

Yesterday my local Aldi had some left over helmets and floor pumps on the mark down table at $20, er I mean 19.99 ;), each.

I snagged one of each. The floor pump works really well and the large easy to read gauge is just what an old bastard like my needs. The gauge seems fairly accurate too. :)

The helmet was just too good to pass up so I got it for a spare. Haven't worn it yet, but has adjustment headband and plenty of ventilation so it seems fairly good.

simlin

Postby simlin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:06 pm

got a pair of the full length compression tights and muscle top...used both under knicks and jersey today for 4degC ride to work this morning...can't complain on performance or value...now I don't need to buy any more long bib knicks for 5x the price.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:32 pm

I've been using a $25 Aldi helmet solely for 2 years. Just took it on a long trip to the USA.
It's been absolutely fine, and weighs as little as $200+ helmets.

On the other hand, my Aldi floor pump is rubbish, as were sunglasses and gloves I bought. Took the latter two items back straight away because of poor design, and held onto the pump, but rarely use it cos it is rubbish.

However I think it is hit and miss with Aldi. The helmets I saw there last year were an inferior design compared to the one I got the year before.