Aldi Specials

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Aldi Specials

Postby lionelong » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:26 pm

Got myself a wireless computer, arm warms, arm sun protector, knicks and gloves.
The hybrid bikes are all gone in 15 minutes.
lionelong

by BNA » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:55 pm

BNA

Postby spirro » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:55 pm

dajackal wrote:keen to get a cheap jersey and knicks for cycling to work
hopefully there'll be stock left after work, but i aint keeping my hopes up :(

I don't like your chances. I went in this morning and picked up a couple jerseys (Large). I went back at midday to return them (they were too small) and swap them for extra large and there were only a couple of smalls left. So I just got my money back.

Picked up a pump, a pair of gloves and shorts (not knicks).
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

spirro

Postby lobstermash » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:52 pm

mattwilkinson wrote:Did anyone buy any leg warmers?

I opened them when i got home and they barely go past my knee cap...

Hmm, when I put them on they went from my ankles to above my knee quite comfortably.
lobstermash

Postby m@ » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:56 pm

Popped in to check out the gloves, but wasn't impressed with the design. Kinda glad I didn't pick up a set of knee warmers as a consolation price now... ;)
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby nezumi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Plenty of bikes still out in heidelberg.

Most of the knicks were gone, as well as any guy's jackets.

I grabbed the leg and arm warmers to see if they are useful. Also picked up two lots of socks.

I pondered the floor pump and the tool kit. Still debating those.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000
nezumi

Postby TonyMax » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:26 am

dajackal wrote:keen to get a cheap jersey and knicks for cycling to work
hopefully there'll be stock left after work, but i aint keeping my hopes up :(

If you miss out you could always try this guy:

http://stores.ebay.com.au/jayakatwang/S ... 34.c0.m309

I got a pair of bib knicks and a jersey for ~AU$45 delivered in 11 days and I'm pretty happy with them so far.
TonyMax

Postby offroad » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:16 pm

I picked up 2 x matt black helmets in both sizes as I could not work out which one fitted best instore. With Aldi's 60 day return policy you can simply return the item not needed for a full refund. Anyhow, according to the flyer and Aldi's website, the helmets are offered in 2 sizes:

1."Small/medium" - box is labelled RD34-Y-1 Medium 54-59cm and the label inside the helmet is marked "Youth 54-59".

2. "Medium/large" - box is labelled RD34-A-1 Large 59-63cm and the label inside the helmet is marked "Adult 59-63cm".

With a 59cm head you can see my confusion here :shock: as I fit right between both sizes. However the strange thing about these helmets is their vertical depth. The "Youth" size floats on a typical adult shape head while the "Adult" size actually fits your head in deeper. So I get the impression that a "Youth" size helmet has a different vertical profile shape to an adults full grown noggin ?

So if you have a small head and you bought the small size helmet and it feels more like a hat than a helmet it's possibly the helmet shape and not your head... another Kooky Aldi sizing issue once again.
offroad

Postby TheWoodenTree » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:58 pm

Grabbed the knicks, arm sun protectors, sunnies, toolkit and jackets.
Pretty good fit for apparels. Sunnies and toolkit were worth it.
TheWoodenTree

Postby Lambsy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:35 pm

uummm ...... Aldi, what's that?

Oh, i forgot ........ I'm in Hobart :wink:
Lambsy

Postby warthog1 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:54 pm

I got arm and knee warmers in medium which are a good fit for me at 184 cm and 74 kg. They are plenty thick and should be very warm as far as warmers go. Had to scrounge for an appropriate size almost only xl sizes left on Wed arvo.
warthog1

Postby rkelsen » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Got one of the tool kits yesterday. Obviously not pro quality, but good enough for the amount of use it'll get. There is quite a bit of stuff in there for the money. The pedal spanner and headset spanner are the main reasons I bought it, but the crank puller and chain breaker look to be quite good too. The cone spanners are pressed steel plate... still I suppose you're not meant to tighten cone lock nuts that much.

Will report back if anything breaks.
rkelsen

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:50 pm

The pedal spanner will skew if youre gonna try and remove tight/stuck pedals, the cone spanners will round off on tight/stuck cones(not like they were very precise in the first place), but the headset tool will deal with headsets fine. It doubles up as a fixed cup remover as well, but Id suggest not to. The brass or similar soft material it's made of will round off. The tyre levers will snap, but then again, I was mounting tyres onto Fulcrum 5 wheels. My adjustable wrench had faces that werent parallel too.

The rest of the tools should be good for long term use.
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Postby TonyMax » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:54 pm

Hmm I wonder if this tool kit would be worth the money for me, I have 15mm spanners in my current tool chest for dealing with pedals...

I'll have a look at it tomorrow I'm ducking back in there to pick up a pair of the steel caps:

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... work-boot/
TonyMax

Postby Xplora » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:35 pm

Thinking about picking up the torque wrench. Won't need it to be super accurate, I'm assuming it is the 20-80Nm type... definitely not a 2-15 carbon bike special LOL
Xplora

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:45 pm

Well I picked up the tool box. The cone spanners not much chop but the rest of it is pretty good for the money. :D

Oh and a pair of sunnies and they very comfy to. :wink:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Ross » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:16 pm

I went to my local Aldi this morning to check out the bike stuff and to see what the sun arms were like. They had no sun arms. They also had none of the hybrid bikes that were in the catalogue and no tool sets either. Didn't see any wireless computers either. Or sunnies. Not run out, just not there.

They had a few pairs of gloves, I tried a pair on but they had a large horseshoe shaped cutout that didn't cover the back of the hand which I thought was odd seeing as the universal purpose of gloves is to protect the hands. There are cheaper and better ones on eBay.

There were several sets of leg and arm warmers, I already have plenty of these so didn't investigate these too hard. They were your standard black with large sewn seams similar to Pearl Izumi ones.

They had some knicks there which looked ok but hard to tell what they are really like until you actually try them on and go for a ride in them which is obviously impossible without buying them first. And I only wear bib shorts so not suitable for me even if they were good quality.

They had only 2 men's jackets and maybe half-a-dozen women's jackets left in stock. They looked ok. I tried the small on which fitted me ok, They have zipped side pockets, a zip breast pocket and a larger zip rear pocket with a flap that covers the zip, presumably to protect it from rain, so these were a good feature I thought. They had what looked like a breathable mesh lining. The sleeves had a velcro strap that you could tighten to protect the arms from wind and rain. They were lightish weight, not really light enough to pack up into your rear jersey pocket though. I would say they were probably ok for light showers but not sure if they would withstand a downpour. I think they are more for protection against the cold rather than rain. If that's what you want they lookto be good value for $24.95. Available in fluoro green with some reflective striping or black with reflective striping.

They had plenty of the jerseys left. I only glanced at these because I wasn't really interested in them as I own n+1 jerseys already and didn't need any more. These look to be standard cycling jerseys with a plain mostly red pattern with I think some black and white highlights, suitable for cyclists that don't want advertising logos on their jersey or looking like they're competing in Tour de France. Not sure if they were full zip or only part.

They had plenty of the women's socks left but they looked to be only ankle height, so violate Velominati Rule #27 (" No socks is a no-no, as are those ankle-length ones that should only be worn by female tennis players.")

They had plenty of the Camelbak style hydration packs.
Ross

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Jackets are pretty good in the rain, I got one of last years crop (no difference except the green is available) and it's served me well this winter/spring. They don't pack down very small tho'.
The jerseys ARE full zip and are very good for the dollars, got one last year and still gives good service. There's an extra zip pocket on the rear too, fine for not losing the phone.

Got a 'puter for the Reid Harrier yesterday, works fine so I got another for the Cooper C50 today. Some left here (and toolkits) if anyones interested...

Plenty of shorts and gloves in most sizes left too.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby defy1 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:59 pm

The cycling shorts are actually pretty good. It has hem adjusters, front zip pockets and looks well made.
defy1

Postby tekapo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:02 pm

Re the tool kits.

Check the cassette lock ring remover. Had to return mine as it didn't fit. Probably check the BB as well.

The gloves seems to be alright so far, but I think I did something weird to my fingers a week earlier so haven't had any long rides since.

Got a bike computer, so far so good.
tekapo

Postby Kaete » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:41 pm

defy1 wrote:The cycling shorts are actually pretty good. It has hem adjusters, front zip pockets and looks well made.

The two women's cycling knicks, one size M, and the other size L, from Aldi in Newcastle, NSW, I bought this morning, for $12 each, were, that I could see, the only two left. If they keep going as long as the other Aldi cycling gear I've bought over past years, then I shall be more than quite happy.

Kaete
~~~ ~ (AT)
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)
Kaete

Postby lobstermash » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:46 am

Picked up a hydration pack yesterday. More for fishing expeditions than riding. Pretty impressed with it for $25...
lobstermash

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:43 am

Picked up a set of leg warmers yesterday, down to pretty slim pickings at my local, plenty of sunnies, 1 bike a handful of knicks, 1 or two jerseys and not much more. Havent tried them yet, for $8 they can sit in the drawer as a just in case, not something I plan on using regularly. Length seems a little short but manageable nonetheless.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby spirro » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:20 am

I did a 30km ride in the Aldi shorts this morning. They were actually pretty good and comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

spirro

Postby Xplora » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:13 pm

lobstermash wrote:Picked up a hydration pack yesterday. More for fishing expeditions than riding. Pretty impressed with it for $25...

The beer can cap just not quite enough standard drinks for the boat race?
Xplora

Postby lobstermash » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:44 pm

LOL, I really should put a location on my profile. I'm in Canberra, so fishing expeditions involve going bush and wading through rivers. Only a couple of them are suitable for drinking from.

Popped into Aldi again this afternoon and found a pair of M Knicks reduced down to $10. SOLD!
lobstermash

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion