Aldi Specials

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Aldi Specials

Postby Xplora » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:46 am

Torpedo7.com.au has some good fluoro jerseys that have served me well. Zip is a bit more vulnerable than my good jerseys, but is no worse than my 250 dollar skinsuit which has issues because its rather tight lol so 15 dollar jersey vs 250 dollar skinsuit. Seems acceptable to me, isn't dripping with logos either. I am not a brand whore but having a cell/dhb/torpedo7 logo on your chest just seems wrong - like having Kmart on your shirt. "Gee nice shirt.... Tightarse" :lol:
Xplora

by BNA » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:03 am

BNA

Postby spirro » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:03 am

TonyMax wrote:
spirro wrote:Is there anywhere selling cheap Jerseys at the moment? The Aldi one I have has been really good, looking to get a couple more.

eBay? How cheap do you want them?

Round the $20 mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

spirro

Postby Xplora » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:20 pm

Xplora wrote:I've picked up a couple roof hangers by cable and a couple roof rack mounts. Will let you know. Hoping to take the bikes north 200kms ;)

I just realised I hadn't put the boot in yet. LOL

So I drove the roof racks to Nelson Bay from Sydney, with pure brownpants the whole way.
Pros.
Cheap. Even used Thule and Rhino Racks are twice the price.
Not too noisy under 90kmh. You get noise, but it's not heinous until you hit 100.
Easy to install. You should be able to install these in around 10 minutes with practice.
Bikes can be stored fairly easily and safely. You strap down the wheels, and a central arm grips the down tube. It's a solid grip, and my Madone 5 was solid on the way home after I tightened a bit extra than the way up.
Very flexible, unless you are running tri bikes like a Shiv you should be OK for down tube grip. I'm a little worried about putting the carbon fairing style Alu/Carbon wheels into these mounts, but since the real grip is via the downtube, I'm confident it should be fine. Also, you can turn these things around for a Left/Right facing lock, which is good. Thule doesn't have this?! :shock:
Locking system is pretty decent. BUT...

Cons.
Cheap. Screams tightass, and I suspect it is noisier than the competition by a LOT.
Noisy. God it howls like a banshee without the bikes. I'm OK to struggle with noise with bikes on board but I think other solutions might be quieter.
Lateral movement at 110 is crazy in a Corolla, and you can feel bad aero issues with drafting trucks. It's very very very unnerving.
Rust after one week in the rain? There is only one ferrous piece of metal?! These are going back for this reason alone!
YOU CANNOT LOCK THE BIKE RACK TO YOUR CAR. They have a keylock, but you have thumbscrews to secure the bike rack to the roof rack? This is also insane because your rack works itself loose over the trip.
Screws don't like aero roof racks. My alu vortex roof racks have been chewed by the screws. :roll:
Wheel wells are designed for 2 inch MTB tyres, not 23mm roadbike tyres. Doesn't suit me at all.

Without a genuine lock to the car, insecure and loosening attachment to the car, and a clear design brief for BSOs, I couldn't recommend these for a road bike rider. My bike is insured for 6K, second bike is 1500. It's not WORTH risking your bikes with this, when its only 150 bucks for some alternatives.
Xplora

Postby spirro » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:37 pm

Xplora wrote:Torpedo7.com.au has some good fluoro jerseys that have served me well. Zip is a bit more vulnerable than my good jerseys, but is no worse than my 250 dollar skinsuit which has issues because its rather tight lol so 15 dollar jersey vs 250 dollar skinsuit. Seems acceptable to me, isn't dripping with logos either. I am not a brand whore but having a cell/dhb/torpedo7 logo on your chest just seems wrong - like having Kmart on your shirt. "Gee nice shirt.... Tightarse" :lol:

Can you point me in the direction of the T7 ones you refer too? Just can't find them.
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 2014

spirro

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:49 pm

spirro wrote:
Xplora wrote:Torpedo7.com.au has some good fluoro jerseys that have served me well. Zip is a bit more vulnerable than my good jerseys, but is no worse than my 250 dollar skinsuit which has issues because its rather tight lol so 15 dollar jersey vs 250 dollar skinsuit. Seems acceptable to me, isn't dripping with logos either. I am not a brand whore but having a cell/dhb/torpedo7 logo on your chest just seems wrong - like having Kmart on your shirt. "Gee nice shirt.... Tightarse" :lol:

Can you point me in the direction of the T7 ones you refer too? Just can't find them.

The secret to buying from T7 is timing - when I was looking in January the Men's Core Hi Vis Short Sleeve Jersey varied from $60 during the week down to $25 on weekends
find_bruce

Previous

Return to General discussion