Advice needed! Boss doesn't want me riding to work...

AScyclist21

Advice needed! Boss doesn't want me riding to work...

Postby AScyclist21 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:50 am

Hey all,

I've had a bit of a situation start recently at work where my boss has quite literally used the phrase "it's up to you how you get to work... but... you can't ride your bike". Now I don't show up sweaty and untidy so I had no idea where this came from.

My question to anyone that has either had this happen or is familiar with the law is this. Does he actually have a legal leg to stand on? For one, it doesn't state in my contract anywhere that the company has a say in how I get to work and if they aren't going to provide a car or other transport (I had asked when confronted) then I'm sure as hell not going to stop riding my bike!

Any feedback would be of great help, even if only to bounce the idea off of some other minds. I work in IT btw... Maybe they are jealous that I am fit lol :D
Focus Izalco Pro 1.0 (2013)
Cannondale CAAD10 (2013)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Advice needed! Boss doesn't want me riding to work...

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:55 am

He prolly thinks riding is too dangerous and you are too valuable to the organisation... :roll:

Ask him to put it in writing: reasoning, pros and cons the full deal.

Alternately, you could say: "OK, as soon as the full subsidy company car and parking spot are delivered."
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

skull

Postby skull » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:57 am

He is most likely anti bike.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

zero

Postby zero » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:03 am

He can't stop you from riding your bike to work. its also a completely normal thing, done by millions of people all around the world.

He may be able to stop you storing the bike on company property though if he is particularly small minded.

frb_bike

Postby frb_bike » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:07 am

Maybe ask him why he would request such a stupid thing.

AScyclist21

Postby AScyclist21 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:10 am

Mulger bill wrote:He prolly thinks riding is too dangerous and you are too valuable to the organisation... :roll:

Ask him to put it in writing: reasoning, pros and cons the full deal.

Alternately, you could say: "OK, as soon as the full subsidy company car and parking spot are delivered."
Yeah I should definitely get it in writing, I think even the act of getting it in writing may discourage him taking this further as he may realize that he has no leg to stand on. It seems to be more of a dislike for bikes anyway which is a shame...
Cannondale CAAD10 (2013)

AScyclist21

Postby AScyclist21 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:12 am

Apparently he's worried I, and this is the best bit... I 'Might' show up to work sweaty and smelly. Not really a solid argument.

Its pretty easy to show up clean to work as its essentially flat and downhill the whole way to work from home :)
Cannondale CAAD10 (2013)

r2160

Postby r2160 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:20 am

Perhaps if he continues to provide objections, you should seek new employment.

However, you should remind him of the health benefits, and the fact that being healthier will mean less/no sickies, you will more than likely be more productive.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:35 am

As above, ask for it in writing and mention the likelihood of fewer sick days. There's also a brewery in Victoria i think that paid their employees a bonus for riding to work, because they were healthier and happier.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:43 am

AScyclist21 wrote:Apparently he's worried I, and this is the best bit... I 'Might' show up to work sweaty and smelly. Not really a solid argument.

Its pretty easy to show up clean to work as its essentially flat and downhill the whole way to work from home :)
Keep the discussion civil and grown up.

Find out what the objections are and address them in a mature fashion.

Chances are, you and your manager can work this out to both of your satisfaction.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zero

Postby zero » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:45 am

He will be healthier. Unfortunately sickies are not so easy to predict.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:50 am

Mulger bill wrote:Alternately, you could say: "OK, as soon as the full subsidy company car and parking spot are delivered."
+1 to this.

He can't tell you how to get to work.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:10 am

Your boss is an idiot. End of story.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:10 am

AScyclist21 wrote:Apparently he's worried I, and this is the best bit... I 'Might' show up to work sweaty and smelly. Not really a solid argument.
Dear god. :shock: We can't have our staff being sweaty! Somebody might actually think they are doing work!

AScyclist21

Postby AScyclist21 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:11 am

Well as I thought, same reactions I had when I had been told. I'm not going to stop riding to work at all, I'll just be careful not to get too sweaty on the way in.

Honestly if he brings it up again I'll have to be polite but calmly mention that in the contract I had signed there was no mention of transport. I'll be looking for new employment soon anyway but hopefully I won't have to make a call to Fairwork Australia before then :S

When you tell a cyclist to stop riding his bike it won't end well...
Cannondale CAAD10 (2013)

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:16 am

Have a shower, or at the very least change your clothes and use loads of deoderant. How long is your commute?

I have to share an office with guy who commutes on a bike. He thinks that he's 'taking it easy' and that he 'doesn't smell'..but he does.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:34 am

Take a shower before you arrive in the building.

Someone might have complained if you arrive sweaty and smelly. Does your work place have shower/locker facilities? Other than that, get the recommendation and reasons in writing - none of this verbal only stuff - that's how people avoid responsibility, if it blows up in their face, they can deny ever saying such a thing.

frb_bike

Postby frb_bike » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:42 am

If you aren't showering, perhaps someone made a complaint to your boss that you smell. Not saying you do, but just throwing it out there.

tomness

Postby tomness » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:51 am

If there is no shower at your work then have a shower at home before your ride. This will wash off the bacteria which could cause you to smell. Then any sweat you produce on your ride will be less likely to become stinky. Thats what I did before our office got a shower. Worked a treat.

In summer I also used a towel to wipe myself down when I arrived at work.

AScyclist21

Postby AScyclist21 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:54 am

I shower before I leave to work in the morning. If I smelt I would definitely hear about it from my SO!
Cannondale CAAD10 (2013)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:02 am

AScyclist21 wrote:Any feedback would be of great help, even if only to bounce the idea off of some other minds. I work in IT btw... Maybe they are jealous that I am fit lol :D
It could be one of those IT worker/company power-plays that I've seen before. If you are fit, it could be that others feel threatened by it. :lol: I'm not kidding, I've heard of that happening too.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:25 am

Make your own diary notes of all conversations regarding this. If it comes to a potential unlawful dismissal these records will be invaluable.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:29 am

He maY also be concerned about you lodging a 'journey claim' for an injury sustained as you travel to/from work, however this is no longer a valid argument after the latest workers comp rule changes in NSW. You can no longer claim for an injury sustained on a to/from journey under workers comp.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:10 pm

+1 to politely asking for it in writing. All of the above comments are valid but most will end up nasty...

Asking for it in writing is really saying "You're going to need to defend this, or back away from it". He'll know he can't win from that point and will probably mutter something about safety and back off. Hopefully :-)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:13 pm

no, you're wrong. it's very solid. you have no right to put him through the stress of worrying if you're going to stink his offices (?) out all day.

also, just btw, you should also ask him to be paid in advance, as his company "might" go under :)