New roadie buyer here, Reid Bikes?

clackers

Re: New roadie buyer here, Reid Bikes?

Postby clackers » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:32 am

Huski67 wrote:Seems that Goldcross cycles in Epping will now be known as Amart Sports, like Rebel sport it won't be specializing in bikes and parts.. I fear if it ends up like Rebel sport, they will hire staff that have no clue about bikes, just jack of all trade sales people...
I think that the stores converting like this will take your bike by van to be serviced in Altona. This knocks out same day stuff, but it means a sales guy won't be let loose on your ride with a hammer and a puzzled look on his face. :smile:

Yagan

Postby Yagan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:55 am

Huski67 wrote:
i heard you can get tyre liners put in btween tyres and tubes if u get too many punctures.. :)
For 30 bucks you can get decent tyres from ribble. Don't waste time with liners.

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:02 am

Huski67 wrote:
i heard you can get tyre liners put in btween tyres and tubes if u get too many punctures.. :)
Yes, you can, but it's wrong.

It adds weight exactly where you don't want it, and it's a "Band-Aid" approach.

There are tyres that are low in weight that aren't especially susceptible to puncturing.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:07 am

Improperly used tyre liners can actually cause punctures too (pinching the tube etc). Seconding 'just buy better tyres from online' sentiment, that and a big stack of spare tubes.

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:37 pm

clackers wrote:
Huski67 wrote:Seems that Goldcross cycles in Epping will now be known as Amart Sports, like Rebel sport it won't be specializing in bikes and parts.. I fear if it ends up like Rebel sport, they will hire staff that have no clue about bikes, just jack of all trade sales people...
I think that the stores converting like this will take your bike by van to be serviced in Altona. This knocks out same day stuff, but it means a sales guy won't be let loose on your ride with a hammer and a puzzled look on his face. :smile:
Gee i would hope none of their "kids" start doing any work on peoples bikes. As for Altona whats there??..
Yagan wrote:For 30 bucks you can get decent tyres from ribble. Don't waste time with liners.
Never used liners myself.. My MTB goes over anything, so far never had a puncture.. Only flats that are due to leaky valves if bike hasn't been ridden for a while... Have a set of tubes just need to replace them..
JustJames wrote:Yes, you can, but it's wrong.

It adds weight exactly where you don't want it, and it's a "Band-Aid" approach.

There are tyres that are low in weight that aren't especially susceptible to puncturing.
As I said I haven't used liners myself.. So can't comment on how good or bad they are. I would get decent tyres if push came to shove :D
AndrewBurns wrote:Improperly used tyre liners can actually cause punctures too (pinching the tube etc). Seconding 'just buy better tyres from online' sentiment, that and a big stack of spare tubes.
Seems that punctures are one of the bad things about road bikes..

I'm thinking no matter what bike i buy i will need to buy one of those Saddle tool kits like REID sell, with tyre levers and a tube patch up kit.. Just incase :P
Just your average Cycling Hack rider.. Trying to Keep fit. Owner of a 1990's Konya MTB..

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:44 pm

This is the tool Kit.. Think if I do get the Reid Osprey, will need to purchase this also...

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/parts-acce ... H-y59tXuZw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just your average Cycling Hack rider.. Trying to Keep fit. Owner of a 1990's Konya MTB..

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Haven't managed to pop into Reid Bicycles yet, however I did go into the new Amart sports (Epping) store that is incorporating Goldcross cycles. Well talk about a load of rubbish.. The company that owns Goldcross and Amart sports and a few other chain stores has decided to merge/close 4 Goldcross stores and turn them into wanna be Rebel sport stores.. Anyway I went in today and was met by the token young girl in spandex tights. a pre requisite for girls working in such stores. She asked me if she could help me.. I said yes I was looking at their bikes. You guessed it I cant help you im in the womens sports clothing area... Now it begs the question, being a male why did she ask me in the first place?.

The store looks like a smaller version of Rebel sports. As for bikes, it would be lucky if there are 50 there. Mostly kids bikes. The few road bikes they had were on one rack, maybe 6-8 of them. The cheapest was a Flight for $799..

A young sales rep there said that they no longer do any mechanical repairs on site. Bikes are taken by Van away to be repaired. Turn around is between 3-5 working days. Yeah right.

I doubt I will be going back, unless I need something like a Pump or lock.. Not after advice from a non specific Bike shop, just a Rebel sport wanna be..

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:25 pm

Huski67 wrote:Haven't managed to pop into Reid Bicycles yet, however I did go into the new Amart sports (Epping) store that is incorporating Goldcross cycles. Well talk about a load of rubbish.. The company that owns Goldcross and Amart sports and a few other chain stores has decided to merge/close 4 Goldcross stores and turn them into wanna be Rebel sport stores.. Anyway I went in today and was met by the token young girl in spandex tights. a pre requisite for girls working in such stores. She asked me if she could help me.. I said yes I was looking at their bikes. You guessed it I cant help you im in the womens sports clothing area... Now it begs the question, being a male why did she ask me in the first place?.

The store looks like a smaller version of Rebel sports. As for bikes, it would be lucky if there are 50 there. Mostly kids bikes. The few road bikes they had were on one rack, maybe 6-8 of them. The cheapest was a Flight for $799..

A young sales rep there said that they no longer do any mechanical repairs on site. Bikes are taken by Van away to be repaired. Turn around is between 3-5 working days. Yeah right.

I doubt I will be going back, unless I need something like a Pump or lock.. Not after advice from a non specific Bike shop, just a Rebel sport wanna be..
It astounds me that you seem surprised this happened...

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:31 pm

Huski67 wrote: Anyway I went in today and was met by the token young girl in spandex tights. a pre requisite for girls working in such stores. She asked me if she could help me.. I said yes I was looking at their bikes. You guessed it I cant help you im in the womens sports clothing area... Now it begs the question, being a male why did she ask me in the first place?.
Obviously you are a good looking bloke, and just maybe she was trying to chat you up :?: :wink: :lol:

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Crowz wrote:
It astounds me that you seem surprised this happened...
Nothing surprises me today just a pity as it was a good bike store and had bike mechanics onsite to service and repair bikes..
greyhoundtom wrote:Obviously you are a good looking bloke, and just maybe she was trying to chat you up

Hahahahaha!!!... Now that made me laugh.. Possibly but I doubt it.. lol..

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:27 pm

went into Reid (Melbourne) today... Checked out the Osprey bike.. Bad day to go in as Vic Market was busy and so were the Reid staff.. Was about 20 customers..

I didnt wait... Have to try during the week when it aint so busy.. :roll:

budgetrider

Postby budgetrider » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi Huski, I was in the same situation as you a while back, deciding between a Osprey and Giro. The only difference is that I'm in Perth and there's no Reid LBS here.

A mate of mine went with the Reid Condor and I built it up with him. As others have mentioned, the free pump over reads and wouldn't go over 100psi and the water bottle didn't' fit properly into the holder. The lights, while not super bright, is actually fine if your purpose was to get noticed. But if you want to actually see the road ahead of you, it's pretty useless.

In the end I went with the Giro because:
1. Reid does not have a LBS here. My friend who bought the condor ran into problems with the rims and we had to sort it out ourselves.
2. The giro seems a bit more aesthetically pleasing
3. The 34T FSA crank seemed to make more difference compared to 42T
4. The free gifts were practically worthless apart from the rear LED and probably the lock.

500 kms later, the problems I had with the Giro was the front chain falling off (that was fixed with a front deraileur adjustment) and the pedal reflector falling off (got a new one from the LBS)

Good luck choosing!

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:58 am

budgetrider wrote: 3. The 34T FSA crank seemed to make more difference compared to 42T
Good call, Budgetrider.

Huski, given you say you hate hills (even with your mountain bike's low gearing), it'd be nuts of you to go with this thing's eccentric chainring specs. :shock:

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:40 am

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't been online lately... Found two part time jobs that keep me more busy than a full time job. As for riding or looking for a road bike, it's been on hold for the time being.. When i do get the urge again I will start looking at a few stores..

Cheers :D

budgetrider wrote:In the end I went with the Giro because:
1. Reid does not have a LBS here. My friend who bought the condor ran into problems with the rims and we had to sort it out ourselves.
2. The giro seems a bit more aesthetically pleasing
3. The 34T FSA crank seemed to make more difference compared to 42T
4. The free gifts were practically worthless apart from the rear LED and probably the lock.
Very good points there Budgetrider... As now I'm working again, my $500 budget for a bike is no longer.. I could in theory get a a much higher priced bike.. Which in the end, you get what you pay for. As for the Reid Freebies, maybe they should invest in decent freebies then the word would get out and more people would buy them. But that's their call not mine..