New roadie buyer here, Reid Bikes?

jacob_T

Re: New roadie buyer here, Reid Bikes?

Postby jacob_T » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:43 pm

Carriage wrote:The free gear while better than no free gear, isn't the greatest. The bottle didn't let water out that well, even with a good squeeze and tasted worse than your average plastic bottle. The pump isn't rated to 100psi if I remember correctly, which is the pressure I run at. The lights, while they do work, aren't bright enough for night riding. I do have them on my bike as a backup/daytime running occasionally. I can't comment on the lock as they didn't have one in stock when I got my bike and given I already had a D lock, it was too much of a bother to go get one when they came in.

I have a reid condor if I haven't mentioned it btw.

+1... the Reid free stuff is really basic, I swapped out the lights/bottle within one ride, and why they bother with that pump is beyond me, the only thing I do use is the lock, which could probably be had for about $15-20, so, I seriously wouldn't let that be a deciding factor.

I bought my first road bike about a month and a half ago (got the Reid Falco), never ridden the Osprey, but I've been pretty happy with the Reid overall. I'm pretty new to the whole cycling thing, so I can't really effectively judge the Frame, but it's doing the job for me so far. I will say, I jumped on a friends Bianchi the other day, and I'm starting to see what people mean by a frame's responsiveness, that thing just felt amazing.

Alot of people rave about Reid's customer service.The Brisbane store (my local) is not so great, the guys aren't very friendly, and seem to be all geared towards getting you back out the door as quick as possible. It's very possible Melbourne may be better though.

Reid do offer free servicing for a year, which is really basic, but helpful if you are as un-mechanically minded as me. The Brisbane store refuses to look at bikes on weekends, which is a bit annoying, but I guess if they're giving it away for free, it's their call.

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Also, I don't think the Reid dudes do much in the way of fitting (the guy I dealt with just looked me up and down and guessed). So it's probably worthwhile factoring in some extra money for a decent bike fitting.

Carriage

Postby Carriage » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:08 pm

What do you think of your Condor?.
I'm quite pleased with it. It got me into cycling for $240. I did have to replace the rim tape and tubes ($40), but I could've gone back to Reid. The reason I went and bought stuff was mainly because I wanted to ride the next day and North Melbourne is too much of a pain to get to. I don't have a problem with the older technology. The only thing I'm really thinking of changing at all would be the chainset (front gears) because the small chainring is 40 teeth. But even then, I can climb what are probably small hills but what were once massive hills to me e.g. http://goo.gl/maps/Ojl2i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so I'm probably not going to bother.
Also, I don't think the Reid dudes do much in the way of fitting (the guy I dealt with just looked me up and down and guessed). So it's probably worthwhile factoring in some extra money for a decent bike fitting.
This was my experience too however a decent bike fit will probably be equal to your budget.

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:30 pm

jacob_T wrote: +1... the Reid free stuff is really basic, I swapped out the lights/bottle within one ride, and why they bother with that pump is beyond me, the only thing I do use is the lock, which could probably be had for about $15-20, so, I seriously wouldn't let that be a deciding factor.

I bought my first road bike about a month and a half ago (got the Reid Falco), never ridden the Osprey, but I've been pretty happy with the Reid overall. I'm pretty new to the whole cycling thing, so I can't really effectively judge the Frame, but it's doing the job for me so far. I will say, I jumped on a friends Bianchi the other day, and I'm starting to see what people mean by a frame's responsiveness, that thing just felt amazing.

Alot of people rave about Reid's customer service.The Brisbane store (my local) is not so great, the guys aren't very friendly, and seem to be all geared towards getting you back out the door as quick as possible. It's very possible Melbourne may be better though.

Reid do offer free servicing for a year, which is really basic, but helpful if you are as un-mechanically minded as me. The Brisbane store refuses to look at bikes on weekends, which is a bit annoying, but I guess if they're giving it away for free, it's their call.
Awesome its good to get some info from someone who actually owns a Reid. As for customer service I'm yet to speak with any1 at Reid re a bike. I did go in last week for 5 mins and had a look around. Free servicing for a year is pretty good.. Does that invlove truing wheels? Knowing me I may need them looked at :P
Carriage wrote:I'm quite pleased with it. It got me into cycling for $240. I did have to replace the rim tape and tubes ($40), but I could've gone back to Reid. The reason I went and bought stuff was mainly because I wanted to ride the next day and North Melbourne is too much of a pain to get to. I don't have a problem with the older technology. The only thing I'm really thinking of changing at all would be the chainset (front gears) because the small chainring is 40 teeth. But even then, I can climb what are probably small hills but what were once massive hills to me e.g. http://goo.gl/maps/Ojl2i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so I'm probably not going to bother.
Again nice info from an actual Reid owner. From what I can see these bikes are not top of the range out there, nor are they top of the range in price. Would suit me as I'm not even close to being a top of the range cyclist :P
Just your average Cycling Hack rider.. Trying to Keep fit. Owner of a 1990's Konya MTB..

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:35 pm

Ok this maybe a Silly question.. Could a budget priced road bike like the Reid Osprey be able to be ridden on bike paths?.. ie, concrete paths or by the beach on bike paths.. Reason I ask a mate just told me you cant ride a road bike anywhere other than on road as you damage it.

Never actually ridden one so thought I would ask..

Thx..
Just your average Cycling Hack rider.. Trying to Keep fit. Owner of a 1990's Konya MTB..

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Your mate's a dill. My cf Cannondale goes anywhere paved and has seen its share of hardpacked gravel too.
The Al Giant that preceded her copped a lot worse and still sees service under me 17 yo sons bum.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Your mate's a dill. My cf Cannondale goes anywhere paved and has seen its share of hardpacked gravel too.
The Al Giant that preceded her copped a lot worse and still sees service under me 17 yo sons bum.
Ahh thats good to know then, as I like riding on bike paths as well.. Cheers..

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:52 pm

Awesome its good to get some info from someone who actually owns a Reid. As for customer service I'm yet to speak with any1 at Reid re a bike. I did go in last week for 5 mins and had a look around. Free servicing for a year is pretty good.. Does that invlove truing wheels? Knowing me I may need them looked at :P
I don't think so. I called up the other day and they said it was pretty basic, just going over the brakes and gears to make sure everything is in good order. But I didn't ask about that specifically, so I could be wrong.

Honestly, Reid seem to have a pretty good thing going on. They're not for everyone, and I can totally understand that, but they've gotten me from doing literally no exercise, to doing 200-300 kms a week. Including some pretty decent (I think) hills. Sure, I'm probably not gonna win races any time soon, but I'm having a great time. I even went for a group ride with some friends the other day; who were all on much more expensive bikes than me (Trek Madone 3.1, and another Avanti full carbon machine), all probably weighing much less than my bike, but I still spent more than my share of time up the front, didn't get dropped once, and even received a few comments about how fit I was.

I totally get that they're not the lightest/best frames, but I wanted a bike I could test the waters on, and not stress too much about if it got scratched/damaged, etc. and I got that in the Reid.

That being said, I can definitely see the value in spending more money, and I will probably upgrade to a better bike in the next 12 months, but I had to get out on the road in the first place to actually realise that.

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:13 pm

jacob_T wrote:
Honestly, Reid seem to have a pretty good thing going on. They're not for everyone, and I can totally understand that, but they've gotten me from doing literally no exercise, to doing 200-300 kms a week. Including some pretty decent (I think) hills. Sure, I'm probably not gonna win races any time soon, but I'm having a great time. I even went for a group ride with some friends the other day; who were all on much more expensive bikes than me (Trek Madone 3.1, and another Avanti full carbon machine), all probably weighing much less than my bike, but I still spent more than my share of time up the front, didn't get dropped once, and even received a few comments about how fit I was.
Great... I hope that a new road bike will keep me riding. If I need to upgrade in 12-18mths so be it.. I may ride it all the time or it may end up taking its place in the garage next to my MTB... If you are doing 200-300kms a week on it then i'm guessing the bikes have some reliability...

zero

Postby zero » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:24 pm

Huski67 wrote:Ok this maybe a Silly question.. Could a budget priced road bike like the Reid Osprey be able to be ridden on bike paths?.. ie, concrete paths or by the beach on bike paths.. Reason I ask a mate just told me you cant ride a road bike anywhere other than on road as you damage it.

Never actually ridden one so thought I would ask..

Thx..
It will be fine - by default the DA16 wheelset would have to be pretty robust. If the path has expansion gaps opened up by roots or whatever, you might find 25c tires a lot more comfortable than 23c's.

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:58 pm

Huski67 wrote: If you are doing 200-300kms a week on it then i'm guessing the bikes have some reliability...
Yeah, but I do have the Falco model which has a better groupset. I can't speak for the Osprey directly, just for Reid bikes in general. I also have one of their Griffon Single Speeds - It's really heavy, but sturdy.

I have another friend who has the Aquila (cheaper than the Osprey), and from riding with him I probably wouldn't recommend it. We're always waiting for him because his chain is constantly coming off. It might just be a minor mechanical thing, but it's pretty annoying.

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:46 am

zero wrote:
It will be fine - by default the DA16 wheelset would have to be pretty robust. If the path has expansion gaps opened up by roots or whatever, you might find 25c tires a lot more comfortable than 23c's.
Thats great, as i'm wanting to ride it along bike paths as well.. Around here the local roads are crazy.. Back roads have less traffic and so do the bike paths.. Guess at sections where the paths run out I will have to hop off bike. With the MTB i just ride thru gravel and grass sections, road bike have to take some care...
jacob_T wrote:Yeah, but I do have the Falco model which has a better groupset. I can't speak for the Osprey directly, just for Reid bikes in general. I also have one of their Griffon Single Speeds - It's really heavy, but sturdy.

I have another friend who has the Aquila (cheaper than the Osprey), and from riding with him I probably wouldn't recommend it. We're always waiting for him because his chain is constantly coming off. It might just be a minor mechanical thing, but it's pretty annoying.
Ok the falco is at the higher end of the scale price wise for me at this stage. According to Reid's website they are out of stock. As for the chain my MTB did that at first.. I took it back to Rays cycles when i got it and they adjusted the chain or derailuer, not sure which and it has been fine since..

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:29 am

Huski67 wrote:
Ok the falco is at the higher end of the scale price wise for me at this stage. According to Reid's website they are out of stock. As for the chain my MTB did that at first.. I took it back to Rays cycles when i got it and they adjusted the chain or derailuer, not sure which and it has been fine since..
Unfortunately some of the lower end gear just won't hold the adjustment, and becomes a never ending source of frustration when changing gears in tricky situations.

It becomes even more frustrating when you have taken it to your LBS numerous times to have it fixed, and within a couple of days the chain comes off again when you try a quick change to get you in the right gear for the situation you find yourself in.

Talking from personal experience again. :oops:

Sorry mate but I hate the low end of the BSO market as buying those bikes puts more people off cycling than it gains converts.

EDIT (BSO - Bicycle Shaped Object)

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:37 am

greyhoundtom wrote:
Huski67 wrote:
Unfortunately some of the lower end gear just won't hold the adjustment, and becomes a never ending source of frustration when changing gears in tricky situations.

It becomes even more frustrating when you have taken it to your LBS numerous times to have it fixed, and within a couple of days the chain comes off again when you try a quick change to get you in the right gear for the situation you find yourself in.

Talking from personal experience again. :oops:

Sorry mate but I hate the low end of the BSO market as buying those bikes puts more people off cycling than it gains converts.

EDIT (BSO - Bicycle Shaped Object)
LOL at BSO..... Well I don't want a bike that has issues like your mates Aquila. Could it be he just was unlucky to have scored a bad one in the bunch? The Aquila review online was quite good and had no mention of any chain issue when it was ridden. I do like the Aquila, IMO the best looking Reid out there, apart from the pimped up fixies. I would be getting the Osprey if anything, but not a big fan of its paint job. Hopefully it would be slightly better than the Aquila.. Time will tell..

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:30 am

Huski67 wrote:Great... I hope that a new road bike will keep me riding. If I need to upgrade in 12-18mths so be it.. I may ride it all the time or it may end up taking its place in the garage next to my MTB...
Hmm.

That would be $500 sitting idly next to your MTB because it doesn't inspire you, Huski.

If you sense this is an activity and lifestyle you actually will love and be part of (you're on this forum for instance) count me in with the others recommending you spend a little more on a better quality second hand road bike. Make it no more than a couple of years old and recently serviced, if you want more peace of mind.

If you're a let's-get-a-puppy-for-Xmas kind of guy and honestly can't make up your mind about this hobby, at least buy a Condor and cut your eventual loss by $250! :)

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:30 pm

clackers wrote: Hmm.

That would be $500 sitting idly next to your MTB because it doesn't inspire you, Huski.

If you sense this is an activity and lifestyle you actually will love and be part of (you're on this forum for instance) count me in with the others recommending you spend a little more on a better quality second hand road bike. Make it no more than a couple of years old and recently serviced, if you want more peace of mind.

If you're a let's-get-a-puppy-for-Xmas kind of guy and honestly can't make up your mind about this hobby, at least buy a Condor and cut your eventual loss by $250! :)
Well yes that true, no matter the cost of the bike if I don't ride it then its a waste of money.. Even tho i prefer new, i may consider 2nd hand.. Never say never... LOL at puppy kind of Guy. Now if Reid sold bikes with a Free Puppy i will buy two!!.. As for the condor its an option i guess..

Time to go out and ride my Boat Anchor... :roll:

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:47 pm

You've got a pretty good shortlist going... Now get out there and test ride them! :mrgreen:

Remember that you can always upgrade components down the track but the frame should last many years so having one that's comfortable and of a suitable geometry for your body and the type of riding you want to do is more important than the bling factor of your drivetrain or the sticker on the frame. Personally I'm a bit prejudiced against 6xxx-series alloy frames; IME they tend to be heavy and feel a bit 'dead', so would put the Avanti and Fuji toward the top of the list on that basis.

If you're dead-set against buying second-hand, consider looking at old floor stock which is often discounted at this time of year.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:56 pm

m@ wrote: Personally I'm a bit prejudiced against 6xxx-series alloy frames; IME they tend to be heavy and feel a bit 'dead',
Interesting you say that, my first road bike was a Jamis with 6061 tubing and it was a ripper. I've ridden far more aluminium MTBs than road bikes and haven't ridden a 7075 (or 7005 one of the two) that i've preferred to a 6061 frame.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

LM324

Postby LM324 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:08 pm

Huski67 wrote:
Well yes that true, no matter the cost of the bike if I don't ride it then its a waste of money.. Even tho i prefer new, i may consider 2nd hand.. Never say never... LOL at puppy kind of Guy. Now if Reid sold bikes with a Free Puppy i will buy two!!.. As for the condor its an option i guess..

Time to go out and ride my Boat Anchor... :roll:
By the way my bike is more of a boat anchor than your bike :P
I weighed mine just then (thanks for the idea of holding it while standing on the scales) and it was 17kg!!!!
that was without anything on so imagine the weight with water bottles, lights, and other stuff on it!
Last edited by LM324 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:32 pm

m@ wrote:You've got a pretty good shortlist going... Now get out there and test ride them! :mrgreen:

Remember that you can always upgrade components down the track but the frame should last many years so having one that's comfortable and of a suitable geometry for your body and the type of riding you want to do is more important than the bling factor of your drivetrain or the sticker on the frame. Personally I'm a bit prejudiced against 6xxx-series alloy frames; IME they tend to be heavy and feel a bit 'dead', so would put the Avanti and Fuji toward the top of the list on that basis.

If you're dead-set against buying second-hand, consider looking at old floor stock which is often discounted at this time of year.
Yes waiting for Goldcross cycles to open again in Epping (Melbourne).. In fact I just got a catalog in the letter box from Amart Sports store, looks like they are incorporating Goldcross cycles here at Epping.. To open again on the 20th October.. As for new floor stock thats from previous years, I see a lot of that on Bike exchange where they discount the prices... It wont matter to me if its a 2010 or 2011 model...
Philipthelam wrote:By the way my bike is more of a boat anchor than your bike
I weighed mine just then (thanks for the idea of holding it while standing on the scales) and it was 17kg!!!!
that was without anything on so imagine the weight with water bottles, lights, and other stuff on it!
Wow i don't feel so bad now.. thought my 16kg was heavy... Ouch!..

LM324

Postby LM324 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Huski67 wrote:
Philipthelam wrote:By the way my bike is more of a boat anchor than your bike
Wow i don't feel so bad now.. thought my 16kg was heavy... Ouch!..
hehe, I couldn't believe it. I knew my bike was heavy but didn't think it was that heavy! Makes me wonder what it would be like to ride a 6kg road bike :)
anyway good luck with goldcross cycles. Let's hope that there would be heaps of road bikes that you can put on your list

Yagan

Postby Yagan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:13 am

One thing I will say about the Osprey. Unless they have changed the tyres since I bought one. Get used to fixing punctures or replace the tyres.

citizen101

Postby citizen101 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:18 am

Basically and eBay specific frame to catch out people who might not want to try a bike at a shop. Go with a Giant, and you will be happy with the amount of money you spent on any model.

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:43 pm

Yagan wrote:One thing I will say about the Osprey. Unless they have changed the tyres since I bought one. Get used to fixing punctures or replace the tyres.
i heard you can get tyre liners put in btween tyres and tubes if u get too many punctures.. :)
maybolem wrote:Basically and eBay specific frame to catch out people who might not want to try a bike at a shop. Go with a Giant, and you will be happy with the amount of money you spent on any model.
seems to be a popular brand..

Huski67

Postby Huski67 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Seems that Goldcross cycles in Epping will now be known as Amart Sports, like Rebel sport it won't be specializing in bikes and parts.. I fear if it ends up like Rebel sport, they will hire staff that have no clue about bikes, just jack of all trade sales people..

As for Reid, I am going in on Friday to check the bikes out..