Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute (nsw

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute (nsw

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:41 pm

Beware white ute REGO
(NSW Central Coast - green point)

So on my afternoon ride I was deliberately targeted by a new model white ute (not sure of make or model, but it was pretty new). It had a tradie lockup on the back and also a surf ski on the top. .

I was approaching the green point roundabout, heading west along Avoca Dr (towards Gosford). There were no cars behind me, and none coming east along Avoca Dr. I took the lane (where the cycle path ends) and had nothing to give way to (no other cars on roundabout). As I entered the roundabout, the ute in question deliberately didn't give way.

He saw me, I looked right at him, he looked right at me, and I have a white flasher on the front that you can probably see from space. He basically parked his ute across my path. It was Sooooo close.

I had to brake hard and pretty much bail. I managed to stay upright as he passed and i was left in the gutter on the edge of the roundabout.

At least one other car stopped to see if I was ok and she gave her details for the police.

The seriousness of the event was apparent because other people actually stopped to make sure I was ok.

What do I do here? Will the police give a toss?

Shook me up pretty bad.
Last edited by AUbicycles on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: Rego Removed
AndyTheMan
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:52 am

by BNA » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:42 pm

BNA
 

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:42 pm

No to go over to the video camera thread. I think that's my next purchase.
AndyTheMan
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:52 am

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute Rego BLL 31R (

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:03 pm

Report it to the police. You have the rego and a witness.
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2579
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:09 pm

AndyTheMan wrote:Will the police give a toss?

Only one way to find out. Oxford has put up a good pro forma which is a sticky on the Safety & Advocacy forum.

Most importantly glad to hear you are physically unharmed
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3635
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute Rego BLL 31R (

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:15 pm

I negated to mention that I called triple zero at the scene, gave all details, plus witness details...

They were really helpful right up u until they asked what vehicle I was driving. Once I said cyclist their demeanour changed...

I have a witness, with details, I have the triple zero call. Tomorrow it's a police report.

Anyone had any success without a video?
AndyTheMan
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:52 am

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:25 pm

AndyTheMan wrote:I negated to mention that I called triple zero at the scene, gave all details, plus witness details...

They were really helpful right up u until they asked what vehicle I was driving. Once I said cyclist their demeanour changed...

I have a witness, with details, I have the triple zero call. Tomorrow it's a police report.

Anyone had any success without a video?



was anyone still at risk? no

should you have called 000? no

it's not an emergency. please call 131444

please report it. you'll have to go to the police station
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5773
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:04 pm

You are probably right,

But at the time it seemed pretty serious. A guy deliberately (essentially) tried to run me over.

The event was so serious that not only myself, but other motorists pulled over! When I was standing there it seemed like the appropriate thing to do.
AndyTheMan
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:52 am

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby Howzat » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:52 pm

AndyTheMan wrote:I have a witness, with details, I have the triple zero call. Tomorrow it's a police report.

Anyone had any success without a video?


Yes, make the complaint. You don't need a video, and Mr Hoon will get a visit from the police.

Make sure you thank the police for their concern and their time, and express that you are concerned that other road users are at risk if this driver's dangerous behaviour continues.
User avatar
Howzat
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby human909 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:07 pm

Howzat wrote: Mr Hoon will get a visit from the police.


You are optimistic there. I wish I was still like that. :cry:
human909
 
Posts: 4763
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:06 pm

human909 wrote:
Howzat wrote: Mr Hoon will get a visit from the police.


You are optimistic there. I wish I was still like that. :cry:


If you get a job number from the police station and drop past every couple of weeks to follow up if necessary there is little doubt that the driver will eventually get a visit. They probably won't see this as a high priority though unless you are lucky enough to get a police officer who is a cyclist so it may take a while but it should happen. Hopefully that visit will serve as a "wake up" call to the driver. Its worth doing.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
User avatar
jacks1071
 
Posts: 2886
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Mackay, QLD

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:57 pm

AndyTheMan wrote:...
They were really helpful right up u until they asked what vehicle I was driving. Once I said cyclist their demeanour changed...


Glad to hear you weren't injured mate.

I've given up reporting incidents to the police, I have some where people have commented 'you nearly became a hood ornament' and that's from just seeing the video which usually makes it look a little less close. When reported to the police they just don't care, one officer stated that 'we all have to put up with that behaviour', even though he's surrounded by a metal box with airbags and all I have is an Aluminium frame that I'm sitting on and thus am more vulnerable to serious injury (he didn't accept that as an argument, just brushed it off). According to the police in my town, very near misses, even if they're speeding through an intersection and fail to give way, isn't even classified as a hooning offense.

There's one spot in particular that people nearly hit me on my route home so I'm very careful, in fact, because new cars have central locking, I often open the rear door of the car to politely discuss how close they were (most of them have 2 wheels on the little island at the entry to the round-a-bout at this point).
User avatar
FuzzyDropbear
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm
Location: Ballarat, VIC

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby Oxford » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:01 pm

when the local jack boots do nothing I just write to the commissioner and explain the attitude problems I come up against, that usually gets action then. when they begin to realise that you will happily tread over their foreheads to a superior their attitude sharpens up.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
User avatar
Oxford
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby TimW » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Oxford wrote:when the local jack boots do nothing I just write to the commissioner and explain the attitude problems I come up against, that usually gets action then. when they begin to realise that you will happily tread over their foreheads to a superior their attitude sharpens up.

Showing a high level of maturity there Oxford.

I would humbly suggest, that if the op has a witness and rego and is prepared to go to court if action is taken, then there is no reason why action would not be taken. Go in with a militant self serving attitude and it may be a different story.Tim
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby Oxford » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:38 pm

TimW wrote:
Oxford wrote:when the local jack boots do nothing I just write to the commissioner and explain the attitude problems I come up against, that usually gets action then. when they begin to realise that you will happily tread over their foreheads to a superior their attitude sharpens up.

Showing a high level of maturity there Oxford.

I would humbly suggest, that if the op has a witness and rego and is prepared to go to court if action is taken, then there is no reason why action would not be taken. Go in with a militant self serving attitude and it may be a different story.Tim

Not at all, when you've had to put up with some of the crap I've had to deal with, taking it to a higher authority is sometimes necessary. I've expended too much money on legal fees to have to put up with crap attitudes from lazy cops.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
User avatar
Oxford
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby Undertow » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:46 pm

TimW wrote:
Oxford wrote:when the local jack boots do nothing I just write to the commissioner and explain the attitude problems I come up against, that usually gets action then. when they begin to realise that you will happily tread over their foreheads to a superior their attitude sharpens up.

Showing a high level of maturity there Oxford.

I would humbly suggest, that if the op has a witness and rego and is prepared to go to court if action is taken, then there is no reason why action would not be taken. Go in with a militant self serving attitude and it may be a different story.Tim


How is standing up for your rights and expecting the police to do their job being immature?
Image
Undertow
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 12:25 pm

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby TimW » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:58 pm

Undertow wrote:
TimW wrote:
Oxford wrote:when the local jack boots do nothing I just write to the commissioner and explain the attitude problems I come up against, that usually gets action then. when they begin to realise that you will happily tread over their foreheads to a superior their attitude sharpens up.

Showing a high level of maturity there Oxford.

I would humbly suggest, that if the op has a witness and rego and is prepared to go to court if action is taken, then there is no reason why action would not be taken. Go in with a militant self serving attitude and it may be a different story.Tim


How is standing up for your rights and expecting the police to do their job being immature?

They way it is worded mate, if you can't see that then i can't explain it any further for you.Tim
time and time again, certain people on this forum get all antsy when they are disrespected as cyclists. Common courtesy when referring to people doing their job is not to much to ask is it? or is it?. Many of the people here who are of that ilk should also think about doing a bit more riding on a bike and less forum posting, heavens, their health and attitudes might even improve./rant over.



TO the OP apologies for the off topic posts.Tim
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby Oxford » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:34 pm

TimW wrote:...
They way it is worded mate, if you can't see that then i can't explain it any further for you.Tim
time and time again, certain people on this forum get all antsy when they are disrespected as cyclists. Common courtesy when referring to people doing their job is not to much to ask is it? or is it?. Many of the people here who are of that ilk should also think about doing a bit more riding on a bike and less forum posting, heavens, their health and attitudes might even improve./rant over.



TO the OP apologies for the off topic posts.Tim

Whenever I am disrespected as a person, I expect those that are charged with and choose to do that job of ensuring members of the community feel safe, to do that job. Whether on a bicycle, motorbike, in a car, in my home, walking down the street, wherever, whatever, members of society should expect members of law enforcement to do their job. If they choose to sit on their hands and do nothing, then I will hold them accountable for that decision, simple, straightforward, cannot be clearer. If you think that not doing their job is acceptable, you are entitled to that view.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
User avatar
Oxford
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby TimW » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:40 pm

So in regards to this op,you know the matter has been reported,and nothing done do you. If not pull your head in. Tim
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby munga » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:04 pm

TimW, sounds like you're a copper, yeah?
pitty43 wrote:Thanks all for your help. Better change my Gumtree add now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/retroclassiccycling/
User avatar
munga
 
Posts: 6590
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: wowe

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute (nsw

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Admin Says: Number plate removed from original topic and every single topic heading
- It is ok to discuss however gets legally sketchy when people are identified. Thanks.

Also, I would kind ask that care is used in choosing words, lets give the Police a chance to do their jobs.
Just remember how some parts of society view and talk about cyclists.
User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9024
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby TimW » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:45 am

munga wrote:TimW, sounds like you're a copper, yeah?

Former , happily retired and now riding a bike :mrgreen:
Last edited by TimW on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby Oxford » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:45 am

TimW wrote:So in regards to this op,you know the matter has been reported,and nothing done do you. If not pull your head in. Tim
You seem to be taking this personally, quite unnecessarily. The OP is after advice, he is getting it, from many angles. If you disagree, fine, but resorting to judging members for their comments is a bit much. Make your point and keep your personal judgement on other members out of it. If you are a member of a police force somewhere, why don't you look at the reason why people are cynical about police, its not the person complaining creating the environment for cynicism, quite the opposite.

As for your comment that the OP has a witness and see no reason why action cannot be taken. Have a good read through these forums and see how in many cases members have witnesses, video and have been struck by vehicles and still no action was taken, because the police don't see it as serious. If a member of the public has taken the time to front up and make a complaint, it is serious to them and should be treated as such. I am cynical when clearly dangerous drivers are allowed to get away with clearly dangerous behavior, no matter who the victim is.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
User avatar
Oxford
 
Posts: 4920
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby TimW » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:55 am

Oxford wrote:
TimW wrote:So in regards to this op,you know the matter has been reported,and nothing done do you. If not pull your head in. Tim
You seem to be taking this personally, quite unnecessarily. The OP is after advice, he is getting it, from many angles. If you disagree, fine, but resorting to judging members for their comments is a bit much. Make your point and keep your personal judgement on other members out of it. If you are a member of a police force somewhere, why don't you look at the reason why people are cynical about police, its not the person complaining creating the environment for cynicism, quite the opposite.

As for your comment that the OP has a witness and see no reason why action cannot be taken. Have a good read through these forums and see how in many cases members have witnesses, video and have been struck by vehicles and still no action was taken, because the police don't see it as serious. If a member of the public has taken the time to front up and make a complaint, it is serious to them and should be treated as such. I am cynical when clearly dangerous drivers are allowed to get away with clearly dangerous behavior, no matter who the victim is.

Oxford being courteous about someones occupation is not hard to do, i am sure if someone denegrated what you do, or did, you would be the first to be "up in arms about it"(I would bet money on it). Funny thing in life i have learned as well, those who critisize Police etc are the first to call them when the proverbial excreta hits the fan. I don't get personal on an internet forum, what i have written is not personal, so don't be over sensitive to the matters i have raised. Your obviously passionate about road safety because of you own circumstances, that does not excuse demeaning an occupation in the way you write your posts, or are you just trying to be funny?? if so that may need some work.Tim


enough typing, time to head out for a ride :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute (nsw

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:19 am

Ok, that is settled, lets move on.
User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9024
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby exadios » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:38 am

TimW wrote:
Oxford wrote:
TimW wrote:So in regards to this op,you know the matter has been reported,and nothing done do you. If not pull your head in. Tim
You seem to be taking this personally, quite unnecessarily. The OP is after advice, he is getting it, from many angles. If you disagree, fine, but resorting to judging members for their comments is a bit much. Make your point and keep your personal judgement on other members out of it. If you are a member of a police force somewhere, why don't you look at the reason why people are cynical about police, its not the person complaining creating the environment for cynicism, quite the opposite.

As for your comment that the OP has a witness and see no reason why action cannot be taken. Have a good read through these forums and see how in many cases members have witnesses, video and have been struck by vehicles and still no action was taken, because the police don't see it as serious. If a member of the public has taken the time to front up and make a complaint, it is serious to them and should be treated as such. I am cynical when clearly dangerous drivers are allowed to get away with clearly dangerous behavior, no matter who the victim is.

Oxford being courteous about someones occupation is not hard to do, i am sure if someone denegrated what you do, or did, you would be the first to be "up in arms about it"(I would bet money on it). Funny thing in life i have learned as well, those who critisize Police etc are the first to call them when the proverbial excreta hits the fan. I don't get personal on an internet forum, what i have written is not personal, so don't be over sensitive to the matters i have raised. Your obviously passionate about road safety because of you own circumstances, that does not excuse demeaning an occupation in the way you write your posts, or are you just trying to be funny?? if so that may need some work.Tim


enough typing, time to head out for a ride :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


"[T]ose who critisize [sic] Police etc are the first to call them". What a bizarre thing to say. The police forces are public services - paid by the public to provide services to the public. Do you think that criticizing a police force for past lack of service precludes anybody from any future use of police services. Is it you belief that the citizen needs to be in good standing with the police force in order to get the police to do their job. If so I would think that you can expect no courtesy from the public!
User avatar
exadios
 
Posts: 468
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:07 am
Location: Melville, WA

Next

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot]



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit