Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute (nsw

AndyTheMan

Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute (nsw

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Beware white ute REGO
(NSW Central Coast - green point)

So on my afternoon ride I was deliberately targeted by a new model white ute (not sure of make or model, but it was pretty new). It had a tradie lockup on the back and also a surf ski on the top. .

I was approaching the green point roundabout, heading west along Avoca Dr (towards Gosford). There were no cars behind me, and none coming east along Avoca Dr. I took the lane (where the cycle path ends) and had nothing to give way to (no other cars on roundabout). As I entered the roundabout, the ute in question deliberately didn't give way.

He saw me, I looked right at him, he looked right at me, and I have a white flasher on the front that you can probably see from space. He basically parked his ute across my path. It was Sooooo close.

I had to brake hard and pretty much bail. I managed to stay upright as he passed and i was left in the gutter on the edge of the roundabout.

At least one other car stopped to see if I was ok and she gave her details for the police.

The seriousness of the event was apparent because other people actually stopped to make sure I was ok.

What do I do here? Will the police give a toss?

Shook me up pretty bad.
Last edited by AUbicycles on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: Rego Removed

AndyTheMan

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:42 pm

No to go over to the video camera thread. I think that's my next purchase.

biker jk

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute Rego BLL 31R (

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:03 pm

Report it to the police. You have the rego and a witness.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:09 pm

AndyTheMan wrote:Will the police give a toss?
Only one way to find out. Oxford has put up a good pro forma which is a sticky on the Safety & Advocacy forum.

Most importantly glad to hear you are physically unharmed

AndyTheMan

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute Rego BLL 31R (

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:15 pm

I negated to mention that I called triple zero at the scene, gave all details, plus witness details...

They were really helpful right up u until they asked what vehicle I was driving. Once I said cyclist their demeanour changed...

I have a witness, with details, I have the triple zero call. Tomorrow it's a police report.

Anyone had any success without a video?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:25 pm

AndyTheMan wrote:I negated to mention that I called triple zero at the scene, gave all details, plus witness details...

They were really helpful right up u until they asked what vehicle I was driving. Once I said cyclist their demeanour changed...

I have a witness, with details, I have the triple zero call. Tomorrow it's a police report.

was anyone still at risk? no

should you have called 000? no

it's not an emergency. please call 131444

please report it. you'll have to go to the police station

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:04 pm

You are probably right,

But at the time it seemed pretty serious. A guy deliberately (essentially) tried to run me over.

The event was so serious that not only myself, but other motorists pulled over! When I was standing there it seemed like the appropriate thing to do.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:52 pm

AndyTheMan wrote:I have a witness, with details, I have the triple zero call. Tomorrow it's a police report.

Yes, make the complaint. You don't need a video, and Mr Hoon will get a visit from the police.

Make sure you thank the police for their concern and their time, and express that you are concerned that other road users are at risk if this driver's dangerous behaviour continues.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:07 am

Howzat wrote: Mr Hoon will get a visit from the police.
You are optimistic there. I wish I was still like that. :cry:

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:06 pm

human909 wrote:
Howzat wrote: Mr Hoon will get a visit from the police.
You are optimistic there. I wish I was still like that. :cry:
If you get a job number from the police station and drop past every couple of weeks to follow up if necessary there is little doubt that the driver will eventually get a visit. They probably won't see this as a high priority though unless you are lucky enough to get a police officer who is a cyclist so it may take a while but it should happen. Hopefully that visit will serve as a "wake up" call to the driver. Its worth doing.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:57 pm

AndyTheMan wrote:...
Glad to hear you weren't injured mate.

I've given up reporting incidents to the police, I have some where people have commented 'you nearly became a hood ornament' and that's from just seeing the video which usually makes it look a little less close. When reported to the police they just don't care, one officer stated that 'we all have to put up with that behaviour', even though he's surrounded by a metal box with airbags and all I have is an Aluminium frame that I'm sitting on and thus am more vulnerable to serious injury (he didn't accept that as an argument, just brushed it off). According to the police in my town, very near misses, even if they're speeding through an intersection and fail to give way, isn't even classified as a hooning offense.

There's one spot in particular that people nearly hit me on my route home so I'm very careful, in fact, because new cars have central locking, I often open the rear door of the car to politely discuss how close they were (most of them have 2 wheels on the little island at the entry to the round-a-bout at this point).

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Oxford wrote:when the local jack boots do nothing I just write to the commissioner and explain the attitude problems I come up against, that usually gets action then. when they begin to realise that you will happily tread over their foreheads to a superior their attitude sharpens up.
Showing a high level of maturity there Oxford.

I would humbly suggest, that if the op has a witness and rego and is prepared to go to court if action is taken, then there is no reason why action would not be taken. Go in with a militant self serving attitude and it may be a different story.Tim

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:46 pm

TimW wrote:
Oxford wrote:when the local jack boots do nothing I just write to the commissioner and explain the attitude problems I come up against, that usually gets action then. when they begin to realise that you will happily tread over their foreheads to a superior their attitude sharpens up.

I would humbly suggest, that if the op has a witness and rego and is prepared to go to court if action is taken, then there is no reason why action would not be taken. Go in with a militant self serving attitude and it may be a different story.Tim
How is standing up for your rights and expecting the police to do their job being immature?

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Undertow wrote:
TimW wrote:

How is standing up for your rights and expecting the police to do their job being immature?
They way it is worded mate, if you can't see that then i can't explain it any further for you.Tim
time and time again, certain people on this forum get all antsy when they are disrespected as cyclists. Common courtesy when referring to people doing their job is not to much to ask is it? or is it?. Many of the people here who are of that ilk should also think about doing a bit more riding on a bike and less forum posting, heavens, their health and attitudes might even improve./rant over.

TO the OP apologies for the off topic posts.Tim

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:40 pm

So in regards to this op,you know the matter has been reported,and nothing done do you. If not pull your head in. Tim

munga

Postby munga » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:04 pm

TimW, sounds like you're a copper, yeah?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Deliberately targeted by white tradie ute (nsw

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:36 pm

Admin Says: Number plate removed from original topic and every single topic heading
- It is ok to discuss however gets legally sketchy when people are identified. Thanks.

Also, I would kind ask that care is used in choosing words, lets give the Police a chance to do their jobs.
Just remember how some parts of society view and talk about cyclists.
Cycling is in my BNA

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:45 am

munga wrote:TimW, sounds like you're a copper, yeah?
Former , happily retired and now riding a bike :mrgreen:
Last edited by TimW on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:55 am

Oxford wrote:
TimW wrote:So in regards to this op,you know the matter has been reported,and nothing done do you. If not pull your head in. Tim
You seem to be taking this personally, quite unnecessarily. The OP is after advice, he is getting it, from many angles. If you disagree, fine, but resorting to judging members for their comments is a bit much. Make your point and keep your personal judgement on other members out of it. If you are a member of a police force somewhere, why don't you look at the reason why people are cynical about police, its not the person complaining creating the environment for cynicism, quite the opposite.

As for your comment that the OP has a witness and see no reason why action cannot be taken. Have a good read through these forums and see how in many cases members have witnesses, video and have been struck by vehicles and still no action was taken, because the police don't see it as serious. If a member of the public has taken the time to front up and make a complaint, it is serious to them and should be treated as such. I am cynical when clearly dangerous drivers are allowed to get away with clearly dangerous behavior, no matter who the victim is.
Oxford being courteous about someones occupation is not hard to do, i am sure if someone denegrated what you do, or did, you would be the first to be "up in arms about it"(I would bet money on it). Funny thing in life i have learned as well, those who critisize Police etc are the first to call them when the proverbial excreta hits the fan. I don't get personal on an internet forum, what i have written is not personal, so don't be over sensitive to the matters i have raised. Your obviously passionate about road safety because of you own circumstances, that does not excuse demeaning an occupation in the way you write your posts, or are you just trying to be funny?? if so that may need some work.Tim

enough typing, time to head out for a ride :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:19 am

Ok, that is settled, lets move on.
Cycling is in my BNA

exadios

Postby exadios » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:38 am

TimW wrote:
Oxford wrote:
TimW wrote:So in regards to this op,you know the matter has been reported,and nothing done do you. If not pull your head in. Tim
You seem to be taking this personally, quite unnecessarily. The OP is after advice, he is getting it, from many angles. If you disagree, fine, but resorting to judging members for their comments is a bit much. Make your point and keep your personal judgement on other members out of it. If you are a member of a police force somewhere, why don't you look at the reason why people are cynical about police, its not the person complaining creating the environment for cynicism, quite the opposite.

As for your comment that the OP has a witness and see no reason why action cannot be taken. Have a good read through these forums and see how in many cases members have witnesses, video and have been struck by vehicles and still no action was taken, because the police don't see it as serious. If a member of the public has taken the time to front up and make a complaint, it is serious to them and should be treated as such. I am cynical when clearly dangerous drivers are allowed to get away with clearly dangerous behavior, no matter who the victim is.
Oxford being courteous about someones occupation is not hard to do, i am sure if someone denegrated what you do, or did, you would be the first to be "up in arms about it"(I would bet money on it). Funny thing in life i have learned as well, those who critisize Police etc are the first to call them when the proverbial excreta hits the fan. I don't get personal on an internet forum, what i have written is not personal, so don't be over sensitive to the matters i have raised. Your obviously passionate about road safety because of you own circumstances, that does not excuse demeaning an occupation in the way you write your posts, or are you just trying to be funny?? if so that may need some work.Tim

enough typing, time to head out for a ride :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"[T]ose who critisize [sic] Police etc are the first to call them". What a bizarre thing to say. The police forces are public services - paid by the public to provide services to the public. Do you think that criticizing a police force for past lack of service precludes anybody from any future use of police services. Is it you belief that the citizen needs to be in good standing with the police force in order to get the police to do their job. If so I would think that you can expect no courtesy from the public!

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:02 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Ok, that is settled, lets move on.
Apologies in advance but I don't think it's quite done yet.
TimW wrote:Oxford being courteous about someones occupation is not hard to do, i am sure if someone denegrated what you do, or did, you would be the first to be "up in arms about it"(I would bet money on it).
If Oxford (or anyone for that matter) was not doing his job to an acceptable I would expect that his boss and customers would complain. Why should this be any different for the police? It is their job to enforce the law, that's why they are called law enforcement. If any member of the public feels that the police aren't doing their best to enforce the law then that person has the right to complain.

westab

Postby westab » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:49 pm

AndyTheMan good move reporting the matter to the police - I have had a couple of good outcomes doing this near where I live where they drop in and have a chat to the driver in question. (I usually contact the bicycle patrol wing at my local station). The drivers then usually realise that they can get in serious trouble around cyclists and according to the officers seem like they will change their ways.

I have also had two not nice incidents with taxi drivers - the 2nd one was last night with the other 3 years ago (most taxi drivers seem OK). The first one the Taxi company when I called them thought it was funny and gave me a reference number and basically told me get stuffed. Action no.1- report to police as before (they got video from Taxi company and charged driver) action no.2 report to workcover NSW (with police reference) Worcover fined company for allowing unsafe work practice and also driver. Company "phoned" with a half baked "sorry" IMHO :( (the sort you get from a kid who is only sorry they got caught but has no intention of changing)

Incident last night - Phoned company (different) spoke to their work safety office - He checked plate number / GPS from Taxi / uploaded video feed and viewed. Took my details and ensured my that the company would take action and let me know what that was by this time next week. Then gave an appropriate apology and hoped that the actions of this one driver did not make me consider that their company didn't take the safety of their passanges and other on the road near their cabs seriously. They were very professional. Further action - none (most likely)

My point is if you know the company the ute driver works for you may wish to contact them to let them know how their ute is being used. Then maybe contact workcover (this may not apply as it will only apply if the driver was either at work or on his way there or from - IMHO). Just might be an education that helps both the ute driver and everyone else on the road.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:24 pm

Undertow wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:Ok, that is settled, lets move on.
Apologies in advance but I don't think it's quite done yet.
TimW wrote:Oxford being courteous about someones occupation is not hard to do, i am sure if someone denegrated what you do, or did, you would be the first to be "up in arms about it"(I would bet money on it).
If Oxford (or anyone for that matter) was not doing his job to an acceptable I would expect that his boss and customers would complain. Why should this be any different for the police? It is their job to enforce the law, that's why they are called law enforcement. If any member of the public feels that the police aren't doing their best to enforce the law then that person has the right to complain.
Oxford used the term jackboots to refer to the police, this was an unwarranted insult.
I cannot see anywhere in TimW's posts a suggestion that members of the public should not be allowed to complain about members of the Police Service not doing their job.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

TimW

Postby TimW » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Beautiful day for a ride :mrgreen: :mrgreen:.
Moved on :mrgreen: